joeparv has multiple CVPI questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
I have a 98 CVPI. Used to be a marked car. The horn doesn't do anything when you push it. Any ideas why? Or did they prob have the siren hooked up to it? Thanks

uniden278

Oct 10, 2011
Winthrop, MA
joeparv said:
I have a 98 CVPI. Used to be a marked car. The horn doesn't do anything when you push it. Any ideas why? Or did they prob have the siren hooked up to it? Thanks

Could be a number of things. Did you check the fuse (under dash) and the horn relay (under hood)? Have you actually verified the horn is still attached to the vehicle?

Simple answer: bring it to whomever you got it from and tell them they need to fix the horn. Not sure how things work in your state but in Mass any dealer is required to sell you a car that will pass a safety inspection as it stands unless it is sold as being parts only.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
I currently have strobes in my tail lights and also front corners but just tail lights for now lol. I don't know if its the power supply or the bulbs but they miss alot. A quad flash sometimes does 2 maybe 3 instead of 4. Was thinking about replacing it with some led hideaways but not sure yet. I like the strobes but if its too much to fix ill just go led. And should u use colored or clear for either strobe or led to match lens?? What are your opinions and ideas? And feel free to throw in reverse lights or fronts as well if yous like to. Thanks

Apr 12, 2012
NC / TN / CT / SD
the rule for led/ LAWs is to match the color to the lenses so for a brake light you would install a red LAW.

before you remove and buy a new set of LAWs

if the bulbs are firing try changing the power supply ( can be found for cheap on here )

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
Was thinking that. It's a code 3 460. But a whelen would work also. Wasnt sure if it was the strobe bulbs or the power supply. Disconnected the front 2 so just the rear flashed but still no change. Even when changing patterns they're all screwed up lol. But yea I'd prob like to keep the strobes since everything else is led anyways. But would def need another power supply. Since the one I have is. 460 so 4 outlet 60 watts. And I only have the rear hooked up am I getting 30w to each bulb or is it only 15 still?? Does the same apply for say a 6 outlet n only running4??

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
Sounds like your power supply is failing, four strobes to a 60 watt power supply only delivers

15 watts per bulb.Step up to a 90 watt power supply and watch the difference as this will

give you 22.5 watts per strobe instead of 15 watts.

Jim Rogers

deputychief301

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
deputychief301 said:
Sounds like your power supply is failing, four strobes to a 60 watt power supply only delivers
15 watts per bulb.Step up to a 90 watt power supply and watch the difference as this will

give you 22.5 watts per strobe instead of 15 watts.

Jim Rogers

deputychief301

Yes I know but as I said I disconnected the front 2 so its only running the 2 rear strobes. So is it still pushing only 15 or is it pushing 30 each since there's only 2 connected? You can see a difference in brightness when the other 2 are off tho

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
This is in my 2001 Ford CVPI. Was originally a us treasury dept car. This box is under the glove box. Any ideas what it could be used for? Thanks.

cover off image.jpg

cover on image.jpg

under shot image.jpg

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
TritonBoulder47 said:
Its a fuse panel... I believe its an upfitters fuse panel for added equipment, but I'm not 100% certain...

My thoughts as well. Wasn't sure if it was added by Ford for the CVPI or if it was added after... But certainly a fuse panel. start tracing wires!

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
Looks stock. There's just places for fuses but that's about it. How would it work? Wires look factory coming out and go behind the center dash. Hard to trace kinda. Ill get more pics tomorrow.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I'm fairly certain that its an upfitters panel... Lines run in from the engine bay/main fuse center... Some are constant, some are ignition switched... But again, I'm not 100%...

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
TritonBoulder47 said:
I'm fairly certain that its an upfitters panel... Lines run in from the engine bay/main fuse center... Some are constant, some are ignition switched... But again, I'm not 100%...

I believe the ginger here is correct....

InstallDude

May 24, 2010
United States/Texas
This is a Ford factory fuse panel.We had them ordered with all of our Crown Vics,and made sure the new Interceptors,both sedan and utility,were ordered with them.Originally,they came already connected to the Police fuse box.They were meant to be used split,half hot,half ignition.If you pry the back cover with a small screwdriver,you will see a red wire going to one spot,a red/white going to one spot,and a red/yellow going to another spot.The other half will have a blue wire,a blue/white,and a blue/yellow.These six wires eventually tie into two 10g wires,black/orange,that terminated with a red male bullet connector,and black/green,that terminated with a blue male bullet.Red was plugged into the 12v constant,and the blue into ignition.

When we strip cars for auction,we keep these fuse panels,and re-use them in other vehicles,trucks,Chargers,and motorcycles,etc.

Ford Part # 5W7Z-14A080-AA

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
On the whelen uhf2150. When I connect the blue and yellow wires to the headlights do I splice them

Into the major or minor wires? Or which wire exactly?? Here's a pic thanksimage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
Have it hooked up but flashes together when 1 of the wires either blue or yellow are disconnected. When they both are it steady burns and makes a funny noise n someone help me out please.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
joeparv said:
Have it hooked up but flashes together when 1 of the wires either blue or yellow are disconnected. When they both are it steady burns and makes a funny noise n someone help me out please.

You need to actually cut the high beam wire before connecting the blue wire and the yellow wire to each of the cut ends as directed in the installation manual.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
shues said:
You need to actually cut the high beam wire before connecting the blue wire and the yellow wire to each of the cut ends as directed in the installation manual.

Hit man helped me out. Thanks again. Install manual could be a little more clearer but fixed it. Thanks for all the help guys. Hmm now that u merged my 98 CVPI threads with my new 2001 threads things are gonna be difficult to

Figure out. Shues, please delete all except the "what is this thread" for me please so that I only have the one. Thank you

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
joeparv said:
Shues, please delete all except the "what is this thread" for me please so that I only have the one. Thank you

Please understand that it's not all about you. The whole world is our audience, and others stand to benefit from all of the information that the community has posted here.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
shues said:
Please understand that it's not all about you. The whole world is our audience, and others stand to benefit from all of the information that the community has posted here.

Well could u close those for Me Please. As I do not

Need them anymore since vehicle was sold

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
joeparv,

I know this is probably going to upset you, but I'm going to put my Captain Obvious hat on for a minute.

I would strongly consider you removing the "Professional Upfitter" occupation from your profile. It seems as if you are having difficulty with some basic wiring on a vehicle that a professional upfitter would know how to work on rather easily. There isn't anything wrong with asking questions. As a matter of fact, there are a lot of people who will go out of their way to help you with any issue you're having. I would definitely think twice about taking my car to a professional upfitter who was having as much difficulty as you with one of the most important aspects of emergency lighting.

Like I said, I don't really mean to insult you. I know I'm breaking b***s here, but I wouldn't consider myself a professional anything if I had as many questions as you do.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
dg0223 said:
joeparv,

I know this is probably going to upset you, but I'm going to put my Captain Obvious hat on for a minute.

I would strongly consider you removing the "Professional Upfitter" occupation from your profile. It seems as if you are having difficulty with some basic wiring on a vehicle that a professional upfitter would know how to work on rather easily. There isn't anything wrong with asking questions. As a matter of fact, there are a lot of people who will go out of their way to help you with any issue you're having. I would definitely think twice about taking my car to a professional upfitter who was having as much difficulty as you with one of the most important aspects of emergency lighting.

Like I said, I don't really mean to insult you. I know I'm breaking b***s here, but I wouldn't consider myself a professional anything if I had as many questions as you do.

I said the same thing months ago.. I'm just waiting for the news report of a whacker.. I mean "professionally" upfitted crown vic on the road, on fire.. with some lights half twinkling between the power arcs.

joeparv- find a professional upfitter, and pay him/her to install/train you. watch them, and learn from them. Don't simply expect coming here to train you- it never will be a substitute for real life, hands on experience. It took me about 15 installs before I really knew what I was doing, and I still learn every time I do an install (and I was comfortable/understood low voltage wiring before my first install- you don't).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
@thebluesignal

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.