joeparv has multiple CVPI questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
FF/EMT-B HADEN said:
The black button could be a switch that when the car is running, you press the button, and you can take the keys out of the ignition and lock it. I've seen a lot of vics that do that. Try it and see if that's what it's for, they're sometimes red but it'd be worth trying. :p

What black button? There's only 1 and its not in the pics. It's under the steering wheel dash and is only a momentary one. I was thinking gun lock for that

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
joeparv said:
What black button? There's only 1 and its not in the pics. It's under the steering wheel dash and is only a momentary one. I was thinking gun lock for that

Yea uhm.. antitheft would also be a momentary button in a vic... normally a gun lock button was really hidden.

Radio cables could also be for a spectra (non astro) motorola.

Why do you want to know the price on a moto radio? do you have a legit use for it, or just trying to bring a really old car back to whacker walker (like grandpa uses) glory? :dielaugh:

rohmers

May 24, 2010
MA
joeparv said:
Found the strobe wire so far and hooked that up. The rest is still a mystery. Still having problems with headlight flasher and also horn doesn't work or pass highbeam. Guess they had horn wired for sirens

the pass highbeam is probably because the wire is cut behind the grill between the headlights. most places just cut out the HL flasher and leave it. might also be the same thing for the horn, if they left it in the car even. I have seen several cars were they remove the horns so that they dont have to buy them on the cars that they still have when they go bad. since parts are getting scarce for deptartments to order

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
unlisted said:
Yea uhm.. antitheft would also be a momentary button in a vic... normally a gun lock button was really hidden.

Radio cables could also be for a spectra (non astro) motorola.

Why do you want to know the price on a moto radio? do you have a legit use for it, or just trying to bring a really old car back to whacker walker (like grandpa uses) glory? :dielaugh:

What would be the point of having a radio if you weren't allowed to use it? That's just ridiculous to buy a radio and not use it lol. I'm sure people have tho.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
rohmers said:
the pass highbeam is probably because the wire is cut behind the grill between the headlights. most places just cut out the HL flasher and leave it. might also be the same thing for the horn, if they left it in the car even. I have seen several cars were they remove the horns so that they dont have to buy them on the cars that they still have when they go bad. since parts are getting scarce for deptartments to order

Pass highbeam will go on in a steady on when power is applied to the flashers orange wire. They don't flash it just turn on the pass highbeam. That's it

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
joeparv said:
What would be the point of having a radio if you weren't allowed to use it? That's just ridiculous to buy a radio and not use it lol. I'm sure people have tho.

Ok, I'll make this more straightforward.

Its one thing to ask how much xx type of radio costs.. which implies you just want a "radio" to match the wires.

Its a total different thing to ask "how much does xx type of radio in xx band cost"... since that would imply you need a specific band for use on whatever you may use a radio for.

Most radios cover specific bands only. So what band do you use.would you use, and whats the specifics of the radio system?

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
unlisted said:
Ok, I'll make this more straightforward.

Its one thing to ask how much xx type of radio costs.. which implies you just want a "radio" to match the wires.

Its a total different thing to ask "how much does xx type of radio in xx band cost"... since that would imply you need a specific band for use on whatever you may use a radio for.

Most radios cover specific bands only. So what band do you use.would you use, and whats the specifics of the radio system?

Mostly UHF but switching to narrowband soon. All wires are ran n hooked to antennas already so the radio for those wires would be the easiest to install rather then rip it out n do all over again.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Motorola siren amp and probably a low powered repeater. (trunk photos)

So when you know what frequencies and specs you need for the radios, make a wanted post. There are multiple radios in UHF band for motorla, and yes, you can find narrowband ones as well.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
unlisted said:
Motorola siren amp and probably a low powered repeater. (trunk photos)

So when you know what frequencies and specs you need for the radios, make a wanted post. There are multiple radios in UHF band for motorla, and yes, you can find narrowband ones as well.

Are they from old radios being as large as they are? don't know if you can tell from the pic's but they are pretty big lol.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
joeparv said:
thats crazy how big they are.

Its for the siren amp and vehicle repeater.. its not crazy.

specsir.jpg

Siren amp.

$T2eC16ZHJHEE9ny2sYPzBP8yw,Pl9g~~60_35.JPG

Vehicle repeater. (vehicle radio would connect to this, and this would retransmit on a different band in low power)

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
joeparv said:
Also these are in the trunk. Not sure what they're for either. View attachment 48242View attachment 48243

Those are the cable for a Motorola syntor 9000 radio and siren. The smaller one is for a the siren and the larger one for the radio. The Moto siren units workd great and very few problems.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
I have strobes in the corners and they used to be in the headlights. The inside of the headlight is now dirty i'd say. Is there a way to clean the inside of the headlight on a 98 cvpi? Mite be wrong section if so i apologize and move accordingly. thanks

chfdbigbad

May 22, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Respondcode3 said:
take them out and soak them in hot soapy water, then blow it out with an compressed air, put them by a fan for few hours.. Repeat as necessary

+ 1. i also used q tips to get some of the sudge the didnt come out when i washed mine. make sure you seal the housing after you clean them so they stay clean.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
is there a way to take the lens off? my one side is fine but the pass side the reflector parts are dirty. just asking in case soaking it didn't remove it.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
One CAN take them apart, however its almost guaranteed they will not go back together properly/stay sealed. Just purchase replacements or pick up a pair at the wreckers.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
unlisted said:
One CAN take them apart, however its almost guaranteed they will not go back together properly/stay sealed. Just purchase replacements or pick up a pair at the wreckers.

yea thats what i was thinking. last thing ill need is moisture gettin in.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
joeparv said:
is there a way to take the lens off? my one side is fine but the pass side the reflector parts are dirty. just asking in case soaking it didn't remove it.

Bake them in the oven on the lowest temperature for a few minutes, and it will soften the tabs enough so you can pull them off. However, like Unlisted said, you almost never get it back to normal...the clips break off, the lens warps, etc. I would buy a new HL. :twocents:

Alternative method: If you use the soap and water method, a dehumidifier will work great also...or some rice.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
Hey guys got another quick question for yas. I have a 98 CVPI. The tail lights have the amber strip on the bottom for the blinker/hazards. Am I able to replace those with the all red tail lights? Say from a 99 and up to whatever year would work? Highest year would be best unless they're the same. And if any minor adjustments would have to be made I'd appreciate any knowledge at all. Thanks

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
two ways..Find newer year tail lights and drill a hole for the turn signal in the lower part as the all red ones dont have that. Otherwise you have to change some wiring in the kick panel to make them work like the later PI's

9C1PHANTOM

Jun 15, 2010
Texas
joeparv said:
Hey guys got another quick question for yas. I have a 98 CVPI. The tail lights have the amber strip on the bottom for the blinker/hazards. Am I able to replace those with the all red tail lights? Say from a 99 and up to whatever year would work? Highest year would be best unless they're the same. And if any minor adjustments would have to be made I'd appreciate any knowledge at all. Thanks

Lose the chrome dressed tail lights and trunk fascia that were standard on 98 99 p71s. If your lucky you can find the the amber tail light with the blacked out / color coded trim offered on early model sport and handling crown vics. The trunk fascia are easy to find. IMHO ambers look so much better than all red plus it uses 4 bulb system not 2 when ford cut costs.

[Broken External Image]:http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/9c1phantom/23d1819bbfafa1ae86004f1df623a8ae.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/9c1phantom/206d1fe12a75da50b49db5db381ba54b.jpg

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
That's what I have now but don't like the amber. Was gonna do all red with black trim and maybe rewire or use so hideaways like the cannons for whatever I'd need to change around

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
I have a 98 cvpi with the amber blinker on the tail lights . I'm trying to do away with those and replace them with the all red style ones. Has anyone done this or know if they would fit? Or those new led tail lights they have for the crown vics? Was gonna get the cannons so i could maybe do away with a bulb or 2 since i hear they're different but wanna ask around first. thanks

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
joeparv said:
I have a 98 cvpi with the amber blinker on the tail lights . I'm trying to do away with those and replace them with the all red style ones. Has anyone done this or know if they would fit? Or those new led tail lights they have for the crown vics? Was gonna get the cannons so i could maybe do away with a bulb or 2 since i hear they're different but wanna ask around first. thanks

Yes the newer years will fit in it. The only thing that changed is the chrome and the amber signal lens.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
calebsheltonmed23 said:
Yes the newer years will fit in it. The only thing that changed is the chrome and the amber signal lens.

yea they will fit but apparently 98 and 99 have a 4 bulb hook up and they changed to a 2 bulb hook up to cut costs. just trying to get rid of the amber so it would just be an all red tail light but how would i be able to make it work?

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
how about those new led tail lights they have for the crown vics? anyone ever see them or know how they work? it has a clear section much like mine currently that is amber except clear. and im wondering if you could hook a flasher up to these and have em flash. bet they'd look pretty nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
@thebluesignal

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.