Wilson LED conversions - multiple models and repair

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
Thanks Ryan! I'll let you know. When I bought the legend a few days ago I didn't know until researching on FS website that it has a built in traffic adviser. If that is really the case then more than likely i'll end up selling the stick. I am curious though if the legend modules can be changed over. I am pretty sure they are solaris modules, correct?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Mrlunchbox said:
Thanks Ryan! I'll let you know. When I bought the legend a few days ago I didn't know until researching on FS website that it has a built in traffic adviser. If that is really the case then more than likely i'll end up selling the stick. I am curious though if the legend modules can be changed over. I am pretty sure they are solaris modules, correct?

They are solaris. But, they look like this:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.zips.com/images/uploads/store/lgdupk_a_001_1_web.jpg

Not this:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.tlsemergencyequipment.com/images/006(17).jpg

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
As long as I can access the diodes. Can I physically get to the diode. If so then it shouldn't be a problem

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
wilsonbr90 said:
As long as I can access the diodes. Can I physically get to the diode. If so then it shouldn't be a problem

Ok cool Just curious but what is your best guess as to where you think the diode might be? When I get the bar ill take it apart and send it to ya for assessment! :)

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
Here is more info from the F/S website about there modules.

Federal Signal's technologies that have had a powerful impact include the Solaris® LED reflector design and ROC technology. Solaris maximizes the light performance of the most intense LEDs available and disperses the light where it is needed most. Federal Signal's patented ROC (Reliable Onboard Circuity®) technology eliminates approximately 85 percent of the connection failure points found in a typical lightbar. Wires, connections, and assemblies have been replaced in lightbars by PCB assemblies -- reducing labor repair time and increasing road time for emergency vehicles

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Mrlunchbox said:
Ok cool Just curious but what is your best guess as to where you think the diode might be? When I get the bar ill take it apart and send it to ya for assessment! :)

Diodes should be facing out. Easy as that.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Mrlunchbox said:

Diodes are facing up, into the reflector. It appears the reflector is removable by taking off the one hex screw/bolt, but unk if it's epoxied onto the board.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Mrlunchbox said:
Well I guess we will find out! Hopefully it will work in my favor. LoL. :)

That's exactly right. Its a learning experience for both parties. I try to do my best. If there's a chance of damage I will let you know ahead of time before I proceed. I'm here to provide a service and start a side hobby.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
I just need to find a padded/bubble wrap envelope so I can send out my lights to be upgraded. Can't wait!

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Just stocked up on leds and I have next week off from work. Will be able to do about a 24hr turnaround time for people who want stuff done fast. Trying to line up as much as I can. Thanks again for all the business guys. Keeps me sane.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
medic550 said:
Could you pm with your shipping. Can talon heads be converted? What about dominator tir3 heads 2 wire?

Thanks

The answer to two of your questions are answered in the very first post!

http://elightbars.org/forums/f99/whelen-light-emitting-diode-conversions-multiple-models-56239/#post429432

wilsonbr90 said:
Led conversion, population, and replacement of burnt out diodes!

No more replacing a head after a section Burns out and either throwing away or putting it in a box never to be used again.

Pricelist for whelen lights

First off, Burnt out diode/section- $2 a module + $2 a diode

Avenger/ Dominators/ Talons with linear heads- $10 a module changed.

TIR3/ CON3- $6

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
TIR3/LIN3s are sealed, and nearly impossible to break into.

On that note, it is possible... but there's a high likelihood of damage to the head. I had a non-functioning old style metal flange TIR3 that I was able to get into last night, but it was extremely difficult. It's sealed all around the border to nearly 1/2 inch deep, bordered by the circuit board. Go too deep, and you damage the circuits. Once inside, the LEDs are the same/similar to the round units on the older TIR6s/LIN6s/Liberty corners. There's a 4 pin plug, similar to the passive Talon plug, to which the LED board attaches to the flasher board. I was able to remove the LED board, and re-solder on the receptacle of the 4 pin plug, the solder had broke. It was PITA, but I was able to get the TIR3 functioning again. It's no longer water proof, but I keep a junky light around as a 12 volt tester, which this would be perfect for, or in a display unit, as there's no damage to the front. Plus, the metal flange covers up most of the nicks/cuts into the plastic I made breaking into it.

As to the new style plastic flange TIR3/LIN3s, I'm not sure I would attempt this on them.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
I just sent four Freedom corners (with diffuser bars) in for a color change. I will post before and after photos when I receive the repopulated modules.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Here's pics of a converted InnerEdge passenger side. Cards before were a mix of red & blue, with some of the blue only working dimly. They all came back working great!! Brightness is as bright as the cards beforehand. My quest for amber InnerEdge cards ends!!!!!!

PB270830.jpg

PB270827.jpg

PB270826.jpg

PB270828.jpg

PB270829.jpg

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Looks like tir6 inners with linear corners. If somebody knows more than that chime in. If my statement is true, then yes shouldn't be a problem:thumbup:

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Mrlunchbox said:
I really need to send my boards from my legend to you... I'm dying to see if they can be changed!

So am I!!! If they can I know what I am doing to my 53" Legend...

I just got the package sent out today and forgot to put a message in the box. I'll just email it to you. Thanks

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
wilsonbr90 said:
Looks like tir6 inners with linear corners. If somebody knows more than that chime in. If my statement is true, then yes shouldn't be a problem:thumbup:

I just had a new 23" mini-Century pass through my hands. You are correct.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Got my first batch packed up and ready to send! Line at the post office was too long this morning or I would have sent today!

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
I don't remember if this has been asked before or not, but can you make LED's dual color? As in flash one color then activate another? IE have red leds but flip a switch to make them TD's or floods?

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Mrlunchbox said:
I don't remember if this has been asked before or not, but can you make LED's dual color? As in flash one color then activate another? IE have red leds but flip a switch to make them TD's or floods?

Not per say.

I'm some heads its possible to make them dual color red/blue but that would require another flasher on your part and extra wiring. As far as throwing white in to the mix that's touchy. I can't get ahold of color and white diodes in the same mix. I could possibly however do a Lin/tir6 where half are color and the other half white and rewire it to be able to run the white on a switch.

I may have to give it a whirl.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Smart or dumb 400? The 6 over 6 have seperate leads to fire the top or bottom. I can do the top one color and the bottom white then all you have to do is wire an auxiliary input in to that leg to turn them on.

Am I understanding you correctly?

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
wilsonbr90 said:
Smart or dumb 400? The 6 over 6 have separate leads to fire the top or bottom. I can do the top one color and the bottom white then all you have to do is wire an auxiliary input in to that leg to turn them on.
Am I understanding you correctly?

ohhhh Good question... I'm thinking of making a custom mini freedom. So id assume they are dumb modules. I think having red over white would be great! So you are saying that is possible?? Would love to have them be steady burn and flash capable. Or at the very least flash independently of the red leds.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Mrlunchbox said:
ohhhh Good question... I'm thinking of making a custom mini freedom. So id assume they are dumb modules. I think having red over white would be great! So you are saying that is possible?? Would love to have them be steady burn and flash capable. Or at the very least flash independently of the red leds.

The 400-series 6-over-6 modules found in the Freedom have two steady-burn segments, each with its own 2-place AMP connector for power and ground. Even those modules that are the same color on the top and bottom are this way. Red over white 400-series Freedom modules are already available, but because the optics that are designed to diffuse the light in a wide pattern, they aren't very good for use as a takedown.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Put a flasher in line with it. That way you can flash or steady burn. Still trying to figure out exactly what you want. From my angle I'm pretty sure you can do what you want it to...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.