Wilson LED conversions - multiple models and repair

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
So did we ever find out if you can swap out the LEDs on a Legend? I have a customer who has two light heads that have gone out on his Legend. Not to mention I want to swap the amber in my 53" Legend to red and blue.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
MEVS06 said:
So did we ever find out if you can swap out the LEDs on a Legend? I have a customer who has two light heads that have gone out on his Legend. Not to mention I want to swap the amber in my 53" Legend to red and blue.

Not sure. Have any pictures we can clear it up right now

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
On other notes I can do lights that are potted. I just changed over a set of 200 series lights that were red and are now white to run as fog lights on my car.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
The diodes mounted flat and reflected into the arch? If you could get a picture of the actual diodes I can have a better idea. I need to be able to remove them.

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
I'm in the process of moving, so I haven't had the chance to get the bar out. It's shrink wrapped at the moment. I'll eventually try to get it apart to get a real pic for ya.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Poor Timmy, I heard my order used up Wilson's supply of blue diodes lol!!! Can't wait to get mine back!! I will do a comparison video with half old, and half new diodes!!

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
wilsonbr90 said:
The diodes mounted flat and reflected into the arch? If you could get a picture of the actual diodes I can have a better idea. I need to be able to remove them.

The older first generation solaris reflectors used stars, but the newer second generation solaris reflectors use cree xre.

Old solaris;

ai.imgur.com_gyr2Owr.jpg

Newer second generation solaris. FS seems to have used only cree xre in all it's solaris applications;

ai.imgur.com_niUhU4B.jpg

ai.imgur.com_nFnAr2r.jpg

ai.imgur.com_EdVt6Je.jpg

ai.imgur.com_FQrjECY.jpg

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Zapp Brannigan said:
Poor Timmy, I heard my order used up Wilson's supply of blue diodes lol!!! Can't wait to get mine back!! I will do a comparison video with half old, and half new diodes!!

Keep rubbing it in... lol :hissyfit: :badday: :explode: :Banghead:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
TritonBoulder47 said:
Keep rubbing it in... lol :hissyfit: :badday: :explode: :Banghead:

Can't wait the til diodes are back in the Millennium, and installed, hooked up to my 4200!! How is your 4200 doing too?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Zapp Brannigan said:
Can wait the til diodes are back in the Millennium, and installed, hooked up to my 4200!! How is your 4200 doing too?

The sad part of this is: You may already have your 4200 in hand (and have for quite some time now), but I might get mine installed (when I get my 4200) before you do... lol

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
irishff said:
How about tri-core heads

going to have to elaborate. manufacturer, pictures, etc. i only carry one style of diode. if they use the same diodes and i can access them, then yes

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wilsonbr90 said:
going to have to elaborate. manufacturer, pictures, etc. i only carry one style of diode. if they use the same diodes and i can access them, then yes

I'll take my Code 3 Defender light bar apart and take pics asap.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
wilsonbr90 said:
Code 3 LedX heads are on my can do list!

so I have an interesting idea.... could you swap out the Diodes in an ledx head (stand alone unit that uses an un-bolt able "card" , with brighter leds, so those modules could be used as takedowns? im sure you would have to do something with the circuitry , but if you were able to do those you could sell drop in led takedowns for MANY code 3 lightbars, mx7000, Excalibur, 2100, rx2700... ect ect. I would be interested in some for sure.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Not sure exactly what your asking for. I can swap these over to white if that's what your looking for. I could also play around with the circuitry and drive the leds optimally. I just changed 4 of these cards over from red and blue to amber. I'm interested to know what the voltage is coming out of the plug in. I think its higher than 12v, similar to the ballast libertys

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Shawn L said:
so I have an interesting idea.... could you swap out the Diodes in an ledx head (stand alone unit that uses an un-bolt able "card" , with brighter leds, so those modules could be used as takedowns? im sure you would have to do something with the circuitry , but if you were able to do those you could sell drop in led takedowns for MANY code 3 lightbars, mx7000, Excalibur, 2100, rx2700... ect ect. I would be interested in some for sure.

wilsonbr90 said:
Not sure exactly what your asking for. I can swap these over to white if that's what your looking for. I could also play around with the circuitry and drive the leds optimally. I just changed 4 of these cards over from red and blue to amber. I'm interested to know what the voltage is coming out of the plug in. I think its higher than 12v, similar to the ballast libertys

I would think it would also depends on the optics....

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
they make a few different optics for the ledx heads,

IMG_0992[1].jpg

IMG_0993[1].jpg

I would probably use the less diffused lense, either the top or Left one in the pics, or if using dual stacked modules maybe one of each?

for Wilson's question the led "driver" board is putting out 19.5 volts at the light circuit board. this is on a steady burn "driver" essentialy what I would like to do is upgrade these so they are similar in output to some of the better takedown and alley leds, like the ones code 3 offers now, or the Whelen LR11's

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Optics don't make a light brighter or not, just directs where the light is going. Most optics have 99% light transmittal so its a question of do you want the light to spot or flood.

That being said I'm more than willing to convert some to white for you. They would essentially be comparable to a 24w led light. I could order some 5w diodes and then it would be 40w. My concern though would be heat dissapation.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
I can't tell exactly but with following whelens other products I believe there to be 2 generations. They use between a 3 and 5 Watt led. I have not had an lr11 come through so I can't give anymore specifics than that

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
shott8283 said:
Wilson. any update on the FS Legend heads? have an ENTIRE blue bar i need swapped to RED

I can convert 1st generation Solaris heads. See post 128. For the second generation if interested that would require dedication and patience.

shott8283

Jun 2, 2010
Western NY
wilsonbr90 said:
I can convert 1st generation Solaris heads. See post 128. For the second generation if interested that would require dedication and patience.

ok bud.. ill go and check and see what gen it is.. sending you a pm in the meantime

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
NCFD43 said:
Can you do 500 series TIR6's?

If you read the VERY FIRST post..... :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

wilsonbr90 said:
Led conversion, population, and replacement of burnt out diodes!

Colors are: Amber, Red, Blue, Green, Purple, White.

There is also a few special order colors non-warning specific. Pink for the ladies ;)

Whelen LED are guaranteed possible.

Pricelist for whelen lights

--500 series--

*depopulated lin6: must confirm they are star based Led's first. Ask me for more info*

Lin3/ TIR3/ CON3- $6

Lin4/ TIR4- $7

Lin6/ TIR6/ Linz6- $10

Lin8- $14

Linear corner- $16

Extended linear corner- $20

Payment will be PayPal. Shipping is determined by you. However you ship it to me is how you will receive it in return and whatever you pay for shipping is what the shipping fee will be.

Email for direct contact however posting here or PMing me is a more reliable source

Westernme963@AOL.com

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Zapp Brannigan said:
If you read the VERY FIRST post..... :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

I did read the first post. It also says that TIR4s can be done, but go figure, when I sent a 400 series TIR4 to him, they couldn't be done.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
You sent me a tir3 sir. I appologized that it was the newer style led. 500 series tir6 are no problem. I have a few that I use personally. I am also converting a bunch for another member.

My pricing list is also on the generic side. Inner edge cards are technically a tir3. Those I can do.

Tir stands for total internal reticule. That explains what optics are used.

They also make lin3 inner edge optics. For the sake of getting hundreds of pm's asking about pricing I grouped them together.

Unless I can get pictures of something I haven't done I can not tell you 100% if I am capable. I'm slowly building my repertoire of familiarity across the platform of manufacturers.

If anyone has something they want to know if I can do. By all means pm me. I prefer not to give pricing out on something I haven't done/ had in my possession.

Again I'm sorry I could not do the fully encapsulated tir3.

As far as other 500 series lights. The only ones I've ran in to trouble with are the depopulated versions. In which whelen used about 4 different board architectures and 3 different types of diodes.

I'm doing this as a hobby, not a job. I already have a full time position. I'm learning about different setups and I've been designing a bar spotlight utilizing 10-20w diodes. I may be able to make some boards to make some "super takedowns"

Also an update for anyone concerned with reliability. I have a tir6 that I Converted to every color I stock and have had it steady burn for the last 2,000 hours (over 2 months) although this doesn't simulate real world testing, it does say something about the quality. There are no signs of fluxing or heat damage.

As always thanks everyone for working with me.

Wilson.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Very happy to give you the business. You offer a great service, and cost-effective for members, instead of selling, buying and/or trading modules for color changes.

I cannot WAIT for my cards to get back and upgrade my 13 year old bar!!!!

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
My apologies if I started an argument, it was not my intention. I just wanted to be sure that a lighthead could be done. I should have used a pm. I may have a lin6 that I would want half converted to white, I don't think I'll need the tir6 done. Again, my apologies if I started an argument, it was not my intention.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
I'm an easy going fellow. Tir6 are 100% no problem. I can do those easily.

Lin6 are also no probolem. I've converted many and personally use a set of smart lin6 that were amber converted to blue as my mirror beams.

I frown away from doing a split color on standard lin6 because the white is strong and usually washes out the other. Unless of course it is a split model to begin with with seperate inputs.

Wilson

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Zapp Brannigan said:
Very happy to give you the business. You offer a great service, and cost-effective for members, instead of selling, buying and/or trading modules for color changes.

I cannot WAIT for my cards to get back and upgrade my 13 year old bar!!!!

Yeah, I can't wait for my TIR-6s to come back... :mad: :hissyfit: If only someone wouldn't have hogged all the blue LEDs... lol

shott8283

Jun 2, 2010
Western NY
wilson.. these are the pics of the legend I'm looking to swap from blue to red.. let me know if these are the LEDS your able to make your magic on

ai725.photobucket.com_albums_ww258_shott8283_20131231_150625_zps1355a9a2.jpg

ai725.photobucket.com_albums_ww258_shott8283_20131231_150615_zps2a42b5f7.jpg

ai725.photobucket.com_albums_ww258_shott8283_20131231_150604_zpsd1395255.jpg

ai725.photobucket.com_albums_ww258_shott8283_20131231_150556_zps56e34cd2.jpg

ai725.photobucket.com_albums_ww258_shott8283_20131231_150550_zps9a5a91e9.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.