2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Sold 02-18)

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
I always liked the idea of the light up unit numbers on fire trucks. Like this: PRODUCT INFO: Vehicle Identification by VisuLite Inc.

But I was never happy about the price tag (around $200) Welcome - FDFriendly.Com

Whats worse is that the sizes offered by this company were extremely limited, aka too big for what I wanted.

So I found a 4"X8" EL panel on Ebay and ordered a reverse cut sheet of Vinyl with my Agencies acronym on it and stuck on top. I have effectively made the same thing for about $30. Looks great, and I will try to get pictures of it lit up on the Jeep as soon as possible.

Now for the teaser:

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_2012_11_23222733.jpg

Reactions: StEaLtH2

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
mkoons532 said:
Hey what brand pushbumper is this and does it get in the way of your grille lights?

It is a Setina PB400. They do not block my grille lights, as they were not very visible off axis because of the grille design in the first place. My agency has a policy in place limiting externally mounted emergency lighting (the policy was written when a colored light had to have a colored lens, and it has not been reviewed since LEDs gained popularity), and a push bumper is not an approved location. If I were you, I would go with a Setina PB400L with lighting installed on it from the factory.

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
It is connected to the dome light circuit inside of the vehicle. Very straight forward.

I need to grab some photos on the visor sign and the camera. Also swapped out the LINZ6s on the back with IONs, so much better!!

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
For the updates. Lots of little things have happened since I last added some pictures. I'll start with my favorite addition to the vehicle:

Idle-Right. I'm a volunteer and I pay for my own gas during calls, so having this system has saved me a lot of money so far. It was totally worth the purchase.

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1834_zpsc9abb46a.jpg

LED Off Road Light from SuperBrightLEDs.com. It isn't the most amazing thing in the world, but my brother got me it for Christmas and it looks great tucked in underneath the license plate.

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1836_zps5eb273df.jpg

I have loved the Whelen Unity Spotlight replacement since I got it, but I was tired of the light spilling out of the edges. Using a 1" strip of black vinyl, I wrapped the edges of the light, preventing any of the spillage, it makes the lights much easier to use, especially when shining it towards the passenger side of the vehicle. I really recommend that people using this module, do this.

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1835_zpsd86a678f.jpg

I replaced my rear LINZ6s with Surface Mount IONs. Moisture in one of the LINZ6's prompted the change. I'm glad I did it as I feel less light is wasted with these lightheads. It is a HUGE improvement.

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1808_zps7b3ec524.jpg

I got a Visor Gear Organizer from Zulu Nylon Gear. Not really emergency vehicle related, but very handy for keeping things close at hand, like pens, etc.

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1833_zps42a392c2.jpg

I also finally added the Panasonic Arbitrator Dash Camera System.

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/andrewsim2003/Jeep%20WK/th_IMG_1824_zpsb3b714e5.jpg[/URL]

Closeup of camera (Including my illuminated visor sign)

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1822_zps88f82cab.jpg

Front View of vehicle

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1805_zps4ad0016a.jpg

DVR Mounting location. I utilized an aftermarket underdash head unit mounting kit to install the DVR, it turned out great, it's just missing a trim ring to clean up the edges.

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1812_zpsa984468a.jpg

View of the front-end software on the CF-19

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1831_zps742f99dc.jpg

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
andrewsim said:
For the updates. Lots of little things have happened since I last added some pictures. I'll start with my favorite addition to the vehicle:

Idle-Right. I'm a volunteer and I pay for my own gas during calls, so having this system has saved me a lot of money so far. It was totally worth the purchase.

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1834_zpsc9abb46a.jpg

LED Off Road Light from SuperBrightLEDs.com. It isn't the most amazing thing in the world, but my brother got me it for Christmas and it looks great tucked in underneath the license plate.

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1836_zps5eb273df.jpg

I have loved the Whelen Unity Spotlight replacement since I got it, but I was tired of the light spilling out of the edges. Using a 1" strip of black vinyl, I wrapped the edges of the light, preventing any of the spillage, it makes the lights much easier to use, especially when shining it towards the passenger side of the vehicle. I really recommend that people using this module, do this.

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1835_zpsd86a678f.jpg

I replaced my rear LINZ6s with Surface Mount IONs. Moisture in one of the LINZ6's prompted the change. I'm glad I did it as I feel less light is wasted with these lightheads. It is a HUGE improvement.

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1808_zps7b3ec524.jpg

I got a Visor Gear Organizer from Zulu Nylon Gear. Not really emergency vehicle related, but very handy for keeping things close at hand, like pens, etc.

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1833_zps42a392c2.jpg

I also finally added the Panasonic Arbitrator Dash Camera System.

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1824_zpsb3b714e5.jpg

Closeup of camera (Including my illuminated visor sign)

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1822_zps88f82cab.jpg

Front View of vehicle

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1805_zps4ad0016a.jpg

DVR Mounting location. I utilized an aftermarket underdash head unit mounting kit to install the DVR, it turned out great, it's just missing a trim ring to clean up the edges.

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1812_zpsa984468a.jpg

View of the front-end software on the CF-19

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1831_zps742f99dc.jpg

Out of all the installs on this site, this is by far my favorite. Sexy, awesome, and done perfectly. Good job sir, good job.

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
Eric1249 said:
With the ION mounted vertically will the mess with the optics?
I haven't noticed any lack of output. The location that they are mounted means there is a hotspot directly behind the vehicle, which is what I wanted. The avengers provide plenty of off axis coverage. I moved away from the LINZ6s because I felt I was wasting too much of their output in the sky and on the ground. I am extremely happy with the IONs performance and look (both on and off)

timlinson said:
This thing is just sexy.
Thank you sir.

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
andrewsim said:
Thanks,

No worries I was already prepared to be called out...

Nice install,

Being of a tall build, I've found that a driver's side mounted Avenger cut down/restricted on my front visibility. How does it do in the G/C?

Do you have the new Whelen PAR 46 Multi Color LED Spot, (switchable from White to flashing R/B?).

If so, how do you like it as a secondary warning light?

RJ

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
Rhinojoe said:
Nice install,

Being of a tall build, I've found that a driver's side mounted Avenger cut down/restricted on my front visibility. How does it do in the G/C?

Do you have the new Whelen PAR 46 Multi Color LED Spot, (switchable from White to flashing R/B?).

If so, how do you like it as a secondary warning light?

RJ

The Avenger does block some of my visibility, and I am only 5'10" on a good day, and that is with my seat lowered all of the way.

The spotlight is NOT a multicolor Par46, just original Whelen Spotlight Replacement.

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
Found a cool picture of my ride online on one of the rare occasions it was clean out at a call and felt like showing it off! (It's copyrighted, so Flickr link attached)

https://flic.kr/p/mz8LSh

Also curious if anybody has any experience with the new multi color NForce interior lightbars... I am itching for an upgrade.

Reactions: strobecrazy

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
Since I hope to drive this vehicle into the ground, there have been some additions! Mostly minor, and more photos to follow. 

1. Replaced surface mount IONS. I hated to do this, but I ran into the same issue that many others have, the powder coat simply did not stand up the elements. It flaked off terrible and forced their replacement. I went with an M series light (M2) since I have had very good luck with those. On a positive note, Whelen did warranty the ions for the corrosion.

2. Installed a ULF44 to allow me to cruise my Whelen LED replacements when I utilize my front cut, providing front end identification, without blinding everyone in front of me. (The night time photo makes them seem much brighter than they are)

3. I added a X10DR wireless microphone (photos to follow). This was a big $ amount purchase that I was not too sure about, but ended up being great. I have used the microphone about 1000' from my vehicle (line of sight) and had it work. Worth every penny.

4. Removed the knock-off rigid industries light bar. I think I like the look the vehicle more without it. 

The jeep is still doing well, and I'm constantly looking for upgrades I can do to it. I'm thinking some scene lighting on the PB.

Blu3.jpg

Blu1.jpg

Blu2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

crt6mrt-265

May 23, 2010
Central NJ
Looks sick. I like the graphics on the rear hatch!!

Edmontonsecurity

May 21, 2014
Alberta canada
If you don't mind, would it be possible to shoot me some pictures of the front I'd panel lite up at night.

Along with what you used for the light panel, did some ebay searching myself but trying to figure out what you got.

otacon

May 25, 2010
Saint John, NB, Canada
Looks good, I like the M2's better myself, where did you get the X10DR from and whats the cost on them? I like the idea of not having to upgrade to an xpr5550 for the wireless mic.

Bogie

Jan 19, 2012
Queens,NY
Andrew where were you able to mount the chassis of the CDM750 ? I'm gonna be adding one to my jeep and like the control head location (that pocket is useless) but having a hard time finding a home for the radio.

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
Wow! I feel bad for not getting back on all of this stuff. I can't believe this is still a relevant vehicle with all of the new warning products coming out and the cool installs they can allow for. But, to answer some questions. The vehicle is still going, I added an organization cabinet in the back since I now have a company ride that I can put all my miles on. I replaced the Toughbook with an Android tablet in a locking RAM cradle. Added some Micro Pioneers to the push bumper (awesome).

My CDM750 chassis is crammed away in a storage cubby opposite the tire jack in the back. I had to cut up the cubby to get the radio to fit.

The X10dr is still awesome. I get some crazy range on it. I reached out to the manufacturer and found a local vendor. He came out and showed me an exampled of it and I was sold. I think it was ~$400 or so.

Once it warms up (and I remember) I will get it washed and pretty looking and snap a couple photos of it. It's been through hell, but it's paid off, so I'm gonna drive it till it dies!!

Thanks for the views :)

Reactions: StEaLtH2

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
How I never saw this thread is beyond me!

Very Slick install with great thought process all along the way.
I'd drive it in a heartbeat, well, if the lights were red anyways..;)
Awesome PoV

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
This is an awesome build! I love the way the CDM head is tucked back into the dash!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.