2011 Audi A4 S-Line POV

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Well, i FINALLY convinced the wife to let me put ONE light in her car. I had an old single Talon lying around that i just threw in. Well, now this has got me thinking....if im permitted to use ONE light, i wanna put the BEST light that i can. So im lookin for some ideas. This is used for to-the-station responses in a rural area, with no need for front intersection. The light needs to be TINY. the cockpit of that car is small as it is and theres not much 'windshield real-estate'. Theres also an auto-dimming mirror and sensor that eat up a lot of space. Im thinking a pair of IONs, one on either side of the mirror would fit. But now I'm talking TWO lights. Ill take some pics of the interior in the am.

Shes afraid this 'one light' is going to turn into my "Gateway Light", and she wants nothing to do with it. lol. And ohh how correct she is. Slowly but surly, i have a pair of Tomar RECT13s that i might try to smoke/tint, and hide behind the front grill.

i would love something for the rear, but really just for ID purposes, as it wouldnt be used to close down lanes of traffic on the interstate.
Again, im thinking just a pair of IONs on the rear deck. (rear window is tinted 20%)

this is an old, Aqua-ish, ballast single Talon. Thus the reason i want to upgrade it.

Video:

Pics:
31153_125792674112567_2893211_n.jpg

580560_405787402779758_1344281436_n.jpg

416011_372363089455523_1449327078_o.jpg

394239_385363618155470_2077702128_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MeefZah

Oct 6, 2011
New Philadelphia, OH
That is one sweet car, and some excellent photos.

blulytes

Jan 25, 2013
Chester County PA
nice a4.... like the rs4 rims, why did you take the badge off the grille? or did you buy a new black s4 grille?

as for lighting... rear deck is tough with the tint... I have 15% on my a6 and with the slope of the rear glass, it cuts out alot of warning light.

I have just moved 2 SNM e4's from the rear deck to the rear license plate bracket.

just keep it simple and clean.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
I would really suggest a feniex cobra 1 or 2x with headliner mount up top. I just ordered 3 of them for my personal vehicle for demo/occasional response. For being less than an inch high, it packs more punch than a straight out of the bag dual avenger or Ions

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
NFD-102 said:
Id shoot for one of the following...

Soundoff NForce 18 LED dash light

Whelen Slimlighter

Whelen Dual Avenger

SVP Versastar Dual DLX6

slimlighter and dual anything is really too big

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
a dual talon blocks too much of the passengers view... i dont think i can fit a slimlighter above the rearview mirror....although i would love to...

63062_573500222675141_1090841626_n.jpg

482330_573501022675061_1418482513_n.jpg

480628_573501616008335_939749829_n.jpg

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
blulytes said:
nice a4.... like the rs4 rims, why did you take the badge off the grille? or did you buy a new black s4 grille?

as for lighting... rear deck is tough with the tint... I have 15% on my a6 and with the slope of the rear glass, it cuts out alot of warning light.

I have just moved 2 SNM e4's from the rear deck to the rear license plate bracket.

just keep it simple and clean.

i took the badge off of the grill because its a Black-Optics S4 grill. (the car came OE with a Dolphin grey grill, and a chrome surround) The car isnt a S4....its only an A4 S-Line. She just liked the looks of the S4 grill better. In person, it doesnt look like the S4 emblem is missing because i took the letters off of the emblem, and then replaced it.

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
Oooo, another A4 owner with a dilemma :)

I haven't thought much about what I want to do yet, but I have a Feniex Cobra with a windshield mount that I got for it. Thought about doing just the passenger side, but I can't stand lights on one side, but not the other.

Looking forward to seeing what your gateway light leads you to do :)

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
ok, the "Gateway Light" has worked!!

coming soon:

Front Grill: 911ep TD/WL24 (all blue)

Front Windshield: 911ep LS12 (all blue)

Rear Deck: 911ep TD/WL36 (all blue)

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
She doesnt like the dash light at all, and wants it gone. If i comply with removal of the dash light, She'll permitted me to mount something behind the grill, and something on the rear deck, and two switches. She wants the lights invisible when off, and the switches hidden when not in use. So, if i can only use the grill, i need something BIG, but still remaining somewhat stealthy. (A pair of M7s are gonna be hard to hide.) So i decided on the TD/WL-24 stick, because of it's size, intensity, and the fact that i got a kick-ass deal on it.

Fir the rear Deck, i looked at two avengers, two ions, two TIR6s etc. While they're all possible, they all stand pretty high in a small rear window. (with the exception of the ghost/ion). Then, for about the same price i can get a pair of those, i came across another kick-ass deal on a TD/WL-36 stick. It will fit back there perfectly with minimal window obstruction, and will stretch across the entire rear deck. (note: CHMSL is mouted on top). Also i can limit my wiring and syncying of two lights, to just one.

The Audi has OEM LED tailights. im not going to do anything invasive to the car (HLF, TLF, HAWs etc) therefore i feel that these choices will give me the biggest footprint of warning, while requiring the least amount of conspicuous space.

As of now, she doesnt know about my plans for the LS12 in the front windshield, but like i said, ONE STEP AT A TIME. :innocent:

(keep in mind, im in a rural area with no need for intersection/side warning.)

my ideas for switching are:

Switch 1: flashes just the end pods on front and rear.

Switch 2: flashes full front and rear sticks, and adds dash light.

or.....FedSig SS200 ??? :undecided:

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
What about one of the various handheld siren options (HHS2200, for instance) with the mic in the glove box or center console? That would give you decent control options but you can put it away and have it be invisible.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
im prob gonna just end up doing two switches. i dont have a need for traffic director functions on the rear stick, and i dont need a siren.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
ok, the 911ep TD/WL24 has been installed. The wife wants it invisible when its off, so im gonna have to Night Shade tint it, or cover it with stockings or something.

what do you guys think?

HD Video:

73300_582815531743610_230146677_n.jpg

1668_582815455076951_1480758832_n.jpg

47018_582815631743600_1035241059_n.jpg

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
It's not that visible when off. Light tint and it will look like it belongs there. Looks good and I'll be looking forward to the updates.

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
Hoff said:
It's not that visible when off. Light tint and it will look like it belongs there. Looks good and I'll be looking forward to the updates.

I think a bar looks great there, now I have to consider it for the B7. I wouldn't tint my warning lights, though.

Next question: Did you have to pull the bumper and grill to get that installed? One of the main reasons I don't have any lighting in the A4 now is because I'm dreading having to have to pull the front bumper/grill to do anything to it.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Pyron said:
I think a bar looks great there, now I have to consider it for the B7. I wouldn't tint my warning lights, though.

Next question: Did you have to pull the bumper and grill to get that installed? One of the main reasons I don't have any lighting in the A4 now is because I'm dreading having to have to pull the front bumper/grill to do anything to it.

No, i didnt. thankfully. Ive taken the bumper off before to get to the headlights, and it wasnt terrible. I popped the hood to see how difficult this would be, and it was 4 screws. i had it mounted in 10 min. Ill take some pics when i open it up again to "tint" it.

I dont think im actually going to tint it, per say, rather paint to top of the lens flat black. i wont effect output but will 'take the edge off' and make the light look a little smaller.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
I wouldn't paint anything. Do the lens tint thing that has been documented on the forum several times. That will eliminate the "shine" and will make the light much less obvious.

In comparison, the Talon looks like ass (and it's crooked). An LS12 or something similar, mounted as high and flush to the top edge of the windshield as possible, would be perfect.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Grill light looks great, nice and effective pattern as well. A light coat of tint would take the edge off it. I see you put Lamin-x on your fogs, does it make any difference to the light output? Thinking about doing the same to my Citroen, I prefer my fog lights more yellow.

Oh and for the dash/interior light solution, how about a good old halogen rotator throw light? Stuff it under the seat until you need it then throw it on the dash/roof when needed.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
irsa76 said:
Grill light looks great, nice and effective pattern as well. A light coat of tint would take the edge off it. I see you put Lamin-x on your fogs, does it make any difference to the light output? Thinking about doing the same to my Citroen, I prefer my fog lights more yellow.
Oh and for the dash/interior light solution, how about a good old halogen rotator throw light? Stuff it under the seat until you need it then throw it on the dash/roof when needed.

funny you mentioned halogen rotator for the dash. I had a teardrop that i plugged in, and blew the fuse. the audi wasn't happy. (neither was the wife).

I DO have an LS12 for the dash... it will fit nice and tight against the windshield on the passenger side. i wont work centered. I just snapped a pic of it on the dash, because i didnt have anyone else to hold it up to the pass side headliner for me. (i dont HATE it on the dash, and it WOULD be much easier... :undecided: ) At least it would be centered

As for the fog lights, they are 3k HID 35w fog lights. So, off axis theyre yellow, and the beam pattern on the ground is yellow. But head on, they looked very white. Thats actually 2 layers of LamineX on there now. As for output, i havnt noticed any decrease, and they look MUCH better at night with the films. I dont however really like them to be yelllow when theyre off, but again, i dont hate it.

11599_583121138379716_2111639400_n.jpg

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
That is a sweet looking car. The 911ep lights have great output. I would put the light up high. Personally lights off centered to the right doesn't bother me. Looks good so far

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
teaser:

The rear stick is in. I'll get a day video today after work. Sorry about the low quality but I took this on my phone. I'll get better ones tomorrow. There are no slow alternating patterns on this stick :(

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Looks good buddy. I wish there was a different slow pattern on the rear stick (ie inner modules alternating with outer modules). It's def a nice ride and not your typical American POV; now all u need is a throw light and an annoying hi-lo, and it'll look like a well-lit euro EV responding lol (and I'm sure your wife would be thrilled to have all the throw light magnet scuff marks on her baby)

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Throw light and mag marks are a no go. I'm surprised I got this far. Lol.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
pdk9 said:
Looks good buddy. I wish there was a different slow pattern on the rear stick (ie inner modules alternating with outer modules).

the TD/WL series doesnt really have a slow side/side alternating patterns. theyre all fast. As for the in/out pattern, it only does one (the one i have set for the grill) but its too fast and is nearly blinding when the entire stick is lit. This is the slowest pattern it will do. i would ideally like an alternating signalalert 75fpm. oh well. The lights output is impressive through the 20% tint. Im trying to get another video before the sun goes down, but she's not home yet. Definitely tomorrow morning.

Now for switching.

I need something VERY small and concealable. I was originally thinking 2 small metal three stage toggles. (on-off-on) up would do one pattern, while down could do another. Im very open for suggestions....

maybe something like this?....id prefer something illuminated

$(KGrHqEOKjcE4qB9Z5pfBOU8Y48tu!~~48_12.JPG

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
Eric1249 said:
I like the pattern that you have it set to in the rear deck. I think it is an effective pattern and it is the best one on that stick. Looks good

I agree. I love that pattern. Especially on the older 911ep grill lights.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
ok, the rear is stick in. SO FAR, im allowed no more. If i resurrect this LS12 that i have from the dead, I may try to sneak it in. But thats still a ways off.

I wanna keep it classy and dont want to overwhelm it with lights. the rear is DONE. i have nothing planned for the sides, however, i would love a pair of IONs underneath the side mirrors. But, i think thats approaching too many lights. Maybe just a pair of wide-angle IONs under the side-view mirrors, and NO dash light. That would give it a pretty mean, wide stance, and give a lot more off-axis/intersection then anything dash mounted. It would also keep the cockpit free from any lights. (remember, this vehicle is used in a pretty rural area, however there is an interstate)
I am toying with the idea of a hi/lo siren tone, just for the hell of it.

Here's the HD VIDEO:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.