2011 Crown Victoria LX "old school"

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
So I've decided to do my 2011 CV LX up "old school" style. So far I've got

FS Firebeam R/C w/ ultraflash

Whelen Flatlighter R/R

Whelen Cadet R (current 360*)

I've got some more planned but haven't had time to install anything yet. The only "New" item being installed will be a Whelen PCC8R to control everything because I like the slim and discreet control head.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
foxtrot5 said:
So I've decided to do my 2011 CV LX up "old school" style. So far I've got
FS Firebeam R/C w/ ultraflash

Whelen Flatlighter R/R

Whelen Cadet R (current 360*)

I've got some more planned but haven't had time to install anything yet. The only "New" item being installed will be a Whelen PCC8R to control everything because I like the slim and discreet control head.

Pictures won't upload on tapatalk but as soon as I have access to a computer I'll post the pics I have so far.

I presume that's the strobe, not LED, version of the FlatLighter?

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Doug said:
I presume that's the strobe, not LED, version of the FlatLighter?

You presume correct.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
strobecrazy said:
All I see is,

Sent a PM to unlisted about this because it wasn't working for me earlier, but then I remembered the steps of tech suppor: Yes it's plugged in, yes the monitor is turned on, no I didn't reboot it (or in this case re-upload the pics) yet :duh:

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
Excellent project.

If it were mine...(and funds allowed)

I'd ditch the flat lighter. I'd throw Strobe HAWs in the front corners and 2 strobes in the grill (maybe Nova Micro thins).

Not sure what the rear holds but either a Signal Master on the rear deck or 2, dual Dashmisers (synced of course) would be my choice!

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
RobK said:
Excellent project.

If it were mine...(and funds allowed)

I'd ditch the flat lighter. I'd throw Strobe HAWs in the front corners and 2 strobes in the grill (maybe Nova Micro thins).

Not sure what the rear holds but either a Signal Master on the rear deck or 2, dual Dashmisers (synced of course) would be my choice!

Right now the back deck is empty, but I've got some halogen flashers I plan on putting back there.

I'm highly considering microthins for the grill but I can't find them for a decent price (130 per head is crazy in my book). I'm also considering some big ol' PAR 36 style halogen flashers for the grill, but with the pseudo-chrome opposed to the black honey-comb my visibility is limited.

As for the FL, I know it's not the most effective light in the world, but I had one as one of my first lights when I started in EMS and I'm kinda partial to it.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Thanks to all that have responded so far. Can anyone reccomend a HLF? With this being the LX package instead of the PI/P71 and having DRLs I'm not so sure what will work. I was thinking maybe this but it does specify CVPI. My other thought was this one with the DRL option. Final thought was to go with an ERM flasher. Thoughts and/or oppinions?

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
mdlighting said:
Man 2 firebeams with the flash mirrors on the back deck would look good

If I could somehow find/make 2 R/A Firebeams I would totally do that. Have one set with red facing the mirror and the other with the amber facing it.

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
When I used to drive a truck, I was in a state that used the Firebeams on the back deck and those things were badass. You could see them miles away. I was surprised when I passed the patrol unit and saw what they were. I can't remember what state it was though. I do remember it was one up north somewhere though. I want to say Minnesota or somewhere up there. Coulda been Illinois. Hell, I can't remember. I have been to all the lower 48 and my memory is slipping. lol!!

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
thats a cool old school setup or some old school whelen resonders or double dashmaster or flashers would look good in the back

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
If the microthins you're looking at are $140 a pop, you're looking in the wrong place.

SIRENNET.COM - Strobe Lights

I'd personally go for the strobes from SVP since they're bigger, and Whelen wouldn't be too bad either if you can find some of them for a decent price.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
nerdly_dood said:
If the microthins you're looking at are $140 a pop, you're looking in the wrong place.

SIRENNET.COM - Strobe Lights

I'd personally go for the strobes from SVP since they're bigger, and Whelen wouldn't be too bad either if you can find some of them for a decent price.

I'm thinking of only doing strobes in the corner lights and brake/reverse lights. Red strobes have a tendency to get washed out during the day from my experience. Now I just need a good flasher and I'm still debating if I want to put in a full TA or not...

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
The Firebeams were great lights. I had to use one for a week while I changed my lights. I would take black electrical tape and put it on top of the lens to help with some of the flashback. I also took half red lens and cut it in half (just to one side of the notch) I would put it on the back half of the lens and another half lens on the front. That way there was only two flashes of white/clear with the mirror on it.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Eric1249 said:
The Firebeams were great lights. I had to use one for a week while I changed my lights. I would take black electrical tape and put it on top of the lens to help with some of the flashback. I also took half red lens and cut it in half (just to one side of the notch) I would put it on the back half of the lens and another half lens on the front. That way there was only two flashes of white/clear with the mirror on it.

They actually do sell half domes that clip on a full clear dome, to get any color combo you need.

Not a fan of the FL especially in LED (which defeats the purpose of "old school" lightning!), but overall it's an interesting idea.

FB3s on deck as mentioned above would be really neat ... You just need to get them with half red and half amber domes... et voilà !! You get two 1550 fpm highly efficient devices for a few dollars !

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
TheGatekeeper said:
They actually do sell half domes that clip on a full clear dome, to get any color combo you need.

Not a fan of the FL especially in LED (which defeats the purpose of "old school" lightning!), but overall it's an interesting idea.

FB3s on deck as mentioned above would be really neat ... You just need to get them with half red and half amber domes... et voilà !! You get two 1550 fpm highly efficient devices for a few dollars !

The FL is the strobe model, not the LED. It's not the most effective light in the world, but it's a personal favorite and I love hearing the "clicking" from the strobes just next to my head while responding.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Darn.

Apologies, I misread.

But I share your opinion on the device... ;)

Generally the concept of visor lights is flawed in my opinion, if only for the huge flashback issue...

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
TheGatekeeper said:

I know they make half domes. I always felt there was too much clear if you used a half dome. I had the solid clear dome and I would use two half domes with one cut. Worked well for me.

What about two Federal Signal SML2's (I believe that is what they were called) in the rear window? State Patrol in WI still used those not too long ago. Old skoll but worked well.

Before led's lighting was so much easier to do.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
True, the "clear" tends to overwhelm the "other" color, if you use only one halfdome.

But as foxtrot needs amber and red, he could snap a half red and a half amber on a full clear dome, thus avoiding the "overwhelming" clear effect...

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
foxtrot5 said:
I'm thinking of only doing strobes in the corner lights and brake/reverse lights. Red strobes have a tendency to get washed out during the day from my experience. Now I just need a good flasher and I'm still debating if I want to put in a full TA or not...

Whatever frosts your flakes, as long as it isn't LED. :thumbsup: A good pair of PAR36 halogens in the grille would do great instead.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
TheGatekeeper said:
True, the "clear" tends to overwhelm the "other" color, if you use only one halfdome.
But as foxtrot needs amber and red, he could snap a half red and a half amber on a full clear dome, thus avoiding the "overwhelming" clear effect...

Now I just need to find 1 more firebeam (assuming my current pending deal goes through), 2 clear lenses, 2 half amber, 2 half red, and 2 mirrors... anyone got any leads?

nerdly_dood said:
Whatever frosts your flakes, as long as it isn't LED. :thumbsup: A good pair of PAR36 halogens in the grille would do great instead.

I'd love to do that, but I can't seem to find anything in halogen. I'm also trying to find a flasher that will allow me to sync the grille with the headlights for maximum effect.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Eric1249 said:
I have a set of old round halogen flashers on a van that I have no use for

How big are they and are they red?

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Eric1249 said:
I was thinking of taking them off and cleaning them up. I believe there is a Federal Signal flasher as well

Those could work. If you get a chance, mine doing a quick measure of the diameter for me?

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
So, I'm looking for a flasher for the lights to go on the back deck. I'm thinking 1.9 fps but then again even that may be a bit too "quick" for me. Anyone have any advice or input?

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
For rear halogen flashers, I'd say to have them flash as slow as possible. Try for 60 FPM.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
nerdly_dood said:
For rear halogen flashers, I'd say to have them flash as slow as possible. Try for 60 FPM.

Got a lead on a flasher that will do that? I'm not adverse to using an LED flasher with relays...

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
TheGatekeeper said:
Able2 7 Flash Pattern Universal Headlight Flasher
Model: 03.W140

Should get the job done ?

Looks promising. Possibly the 03.W138. Although the 1.5 fps is still a little fast for my liking, it should do the trick. I was initially thinking 1 fps but 1.5 should work too! Thanks Gatekeeper!

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Not sure who made them at the time but, one of our aux guys won a set at FDIC of what looked to be fog lights that were actually red lights. We put them on the front bumper of the unmarked crown vic instead of in the grill lights. They worked great and no one new that they were warning lights until they were on.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Hoser said:
Not sure who made them at the time but, one of our aux guys won a set at FDIC of what looked to be fog lights that were actually red lights. We put them on the front bumper of the unmarked crown vic instead of in the grill lights. They worked great and no one new that they were warning lights until they were on.

I remember those... The police service in the town I used to live in Ontario had those (rectangular ones) on their Caprice 89, blue and red... Unless my memory fails me, they were made by Able2.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Hoser said:

TheGatekeeper said:
I remember those... The police service in the town I used to live in Ontario had those (rectangular ones) on their Caprice 89, blue and red... Unless my memory fails me, they were made by Able2.

Halogen or LED? I'm thinking something like that would be difficult to acheive with halogen bulbs as a red bulb behind a clear lense tends to look pink and blue is pretty washed out...

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
These were halogen as it was in the Late 80s. I believe your right with the Able2. and they were rectangular. Color wise they showed thru well, cant give you any info other than that, as they were new and I was never inside of them. The lenses weren't clear more of a frosted look when off.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Yeah sorry... Halogen (since we are discussing old school lightning !)

They were known as Able 2 Sho-Me Alternating Flashing Light Kits.

Just like on the pic, only clear lenses. Very efficient though. I would see these traffic enforcement Unmarked Caprices pulling over a motorist, and the grille lights (they actually mounted them on the bumper as if they were foglights) were as braight as any halogen grille lights from the time...

2440-9910.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.