Federal FIRE BALL Family History

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Yankee/Dietz/Tuff-Built domes were marked at the top with

DZ

77-707

So I think it is a safe bet yours is genuine Federal Signal.

The '78 on the motor is the date the motor was made, which is usually within a month or two of it's installation in a beacon or lightbar.

Windycity411

Jan 20, 2014
Illinois
Great thread! I hate to say that over the last 30 years I've owned and sold a 1960-70ish red fireball, red & blue fb2's, a red magnabeam and a red/blue firebeam w/mirror. Man, I wish I still had those! I hate led's. :bonk:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Skip Goulet said:
Ditto. The FBF is one of the few lights I've never had.

Same here. Back in the day, the Flashball sold for about 1/2 the price of a Fireball, these days they go for two or more times the price of a Fireball. Now if I had known this back then, I would have taken my college money and bought every Flashball I could, then held them for thirty-some years and then started selling them to guys like you!

Windycity411

Jan 20, 2014
Illinois
Just picked up a FBH11 today. Nice find as it has fast rotator, rectangle magnet on bottom, flash cover and product spec sheet and FS product flyer with it.

FBH11.jpg

Reactions: Tristar

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I like it!!

Looks to be in nice shape. May have been one of the first of the FBH11 Super Fire Ball versions. The dome looks to be the darker red, and I don't see any markings on the top of the dome.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Correct.

I bought the exact same one in 1987 from Rauwers Belgium, the FS European importer. Still have it, but it has seen a lot of use !

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
dmathieu said:
I like it!!
Looks to be in nice shape. May have been one of the first of the FBH11 Super Fire Ball versions. The dome looks to be the darker red, and I don't see any markings on the top of the dome.

What is a Super Fire Ball?...I've never heard of that version before.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
dmathieu said:
Foreign made version.

One of Federal's mistakes, in my opinion. The FB-15 was cheap, but that's all I can say about them. I had one of these, but mine was labeled "Sun-Beam". It just wreaked of cheap materials.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
The FB15 was a cheap, Chinese affair. At 25$ a pop, you had flimsy magnets, incandescent bulb and a very large teardrop that didn't fit on most Euro sedans dashboards.

I used one for a short time (still have it) in the mid-80s.... On bright days it would be more efficient to leave it turned OFF stuck on the dash than turning it on on the roof... :cracksup:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Fireball said:
Very good topic :thumbsup:

Cyril: Just happened to see a series of old Jean-Claude Vandamme movies on TV last night, and two were filmed in Paris. One was shot in 1996 and the other in 1998. What I found interesting were a couple of light bars that resembled Aerodynics and a couple of cars with what appeared to be Federal Firebeams.

Were those European Federal lights or something else?

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
I don't know how common it is to slow down light or lightbar motors, but in the 1990s I saw a FD pumper with a Twinsonic that had been slowed down.  I thought it was quite effective with each flash having a longer dwell time.  On the flip side, when I ordered my Firebeam back in 1990, I ordered the dual speed model and the Ultraflash mirror.  I tried the light on high speed once, and realized the high speed was a waste, especially with the mirror...Instead of distinctive flashes, it was just a blur of light. 

Reactions: pzurich and CodeMan

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
My guess is that it's a 6-volt light that someone is using on 12-volts.  Used to see that a lot years ago when people wanted to keep their original equipment. Nowadays it's just easier to buy a new light.

As oldtimers like Dan and I know, 1956 was the year that almost all American cars made the switch from 6 to 12-volt systems.  There was a big clamor to either buy new 12-volt sirens or use existing 6-volt sirens on emergency vehicles.  Some people who were just plain cheap opted to use their 6-volt siren without making any changes; but ended up having to replace them anyway if they were overused, resulting in burn-outs.

Much to my surprise on a trip into Lubbock in the early '60s I stopped by a shop that not only sold fire equipment, but at that time they had a small shop that was devoted to the sole purpose of converting 6-volt sirens to 12.  It was easy for the smaller sirens such as the Federal EGs, etc., that used the small black motors. They were relatively inexpensive and easy to replace.   But where they made their money was on the larger sirens that used the "starter" motors: Sterlings, large Sirenos, Federal Class 60 and up and B&Ms.  Those required rebuilding the motors or replacing them.  In those days the rebuilds weren't all that expensive, so that's the way they went.

I was quite surprised to see just how "cheap" the City of Midland could be. From 1952 until 1955 the police dept. used Federal WL sirens on the left fender of the patrol cars, along with a set of red "Adam-12"-type lights on the front roof corners.  But in 1956 they ended up with Pontiac patrol cars which would be the first vehicles with red Federal 17s on top.  But rather than replace the 6-volt WLs with 12-volt models, they removed the light sections and mounted the sirens underhood.  Most cops didn't know the difference; so it didn't take long for those little sirens to be burned up.  As each siren burned out it was replaced at that point with either a Federal 76B doubletone siren or a Federal 28.

One interesting conversion I observed c.1963 was when the predominantly black funeral home in Odessa first opened, their ambulance was a 1958 Chevy wagon.  The wagon was given to them by Chapel of the Roses Funeral Home, and included an old black 6-volt Model 28 siren; two red 12-volt Carpenter lights and a 6-volt 17 that had been on Chapel's '52 Chevy sedan-delivery ambulance, long-since replaced.  There were no modifications to the 28, but the 17 was modified simply by putting 12-volt bulbs in place of the 6 and simple resistors like those shown above.  They seemed to work well. The beacon spun a bit faster, but I never saw any problem with it during the years that car was in service.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I think Skip may have nailed this one.  Federal often ink stamped old motors with the rated voltage, check the motor to see if there is an indication that it is 6V.

Reactions: Skip Goulet

mkent

Mar 11, 2012
united kingdom
He didn't know it was different to other lamps of its brand.the only possible way it could oscillate with the gear rotator is if the added electronics alter the polarity to the motor thus allowing the motor to run,stop,reverse,stop etc...

Who knows,I've certainly never seen this set up before so it must do something?

We will see when it arrives.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.