FedSig New Product - 04.10.14

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Doug said:
Seeing that picture reminds me of a FireBeam, for some reason. Any chance the SLR rotators could be programmed for multi-color in such a degree as to replicate the FireBeam with the UF7 mirror - for example, red and white light alternating? Just brainstorming.

Yes, they can. And multi-pattern too - for example; oscillating during 'calling' mode and then rotating during 'blocking' mode. The video above shows the top lightbar doing something similar to that.

If you look at about the :15 second in the video, you can see the rotators in the center of the upper bar do red when the light is facing the reflector then white when the mirror is facing forward. The SLR is orientation-sensitive so it can do different colours based on where the mirror is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
leftcoastmark said:
Yes, they can. And multi-pattern too - for example; oscillating during 'calling' mode and then rotating during 'blocking' mode. The video above shows the top lightbar doing something similar to that.

Actually, I'm really curious if Fed Sig can make it so specific that if the head rotates, say, half a degree, then the color would change. I realize that's a very, very tight area to make that happen...

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Doug said:
Actually, I'm really curious if Fed Sig can make it so specific that if the head rotates, say, half a degree, then the color would change. I realize that's a very, very tight area to make that happen...

See my revised comment above.

OTFD122

May 24, 2010
SE Michigan
Interesting how things come full circle... Now that we are seeing a new take on the LED rotator type bars, I wonder if we will start to see some of the really oldschool horse-and-buggy red lanterns come back in an LED variant?

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
leftcoastmark said:
Whew - now I can tell you...

You'll be able to configure the bar pretty much like you would have a halogen bar. The SLR rotators can go on the ends or in the middle section, and you also have options of cascade mirrors like the good old halogen days.

The SLR and the newly revised Quadraflare lightheads will be able to dual colour as well, including the QF doing steady-on white . You can have the SLR do a white sweeping motion while en route and then turn to a red rotator when at scene.

Same with the QF's - you can have them flash red/white alternating en route then go to just red flashing at scene, or have them go steady-on white if you want. The QF's have a new reflector design and new construction to make them more optically efficient .

I saw a prototype about 3 weeks ago and it's pretty impressive. The mirror (in the middle, in the case of the bar I saw) is extremely effective - there is nothing else out there (that's LED) that has that kind of flash.

Enjoy! More to come in the next few months.

View attachment 72475

That is cool as hell, way more so than a Rotabeam Freedom. Really like this new bar.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Freedoms and the Navigator will be great on the Tahoe, Explorer, and Durango. Of course I would run a Freedom on a sedan as well, I like a big footprint.

SSgt Elmer

May 21, 2010
NE WI, USA
HILO said:
Freedoms and the Navigator will be great on the Tahoe, Explorer, and Durango. Of course I would run a Freedom on a sedan as well, I like a big footprint.

So do I. This is a very cool looking bar, I'm looking forward to seeing more about it.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
HILO said:

Freedoms look great on a sedan.

8384417483_dd2bd64bf1.jpg

3794282144_ecbdc5c4f5_z.jpg

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Here's hoping for colored domes. Looks pretty epic IMO, definitely easier on the budget than the VSLR.

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
I don't know how I feel about this...Reminds me of Code3's Javelin light bar, you can configure it with LED, strobe, and halogen. Curious how this would be controlled as well, rotators and front/rear light heads.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Humph. I think they copied the JDI Nativagor®. :ugh:

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Last edited by a moderator:

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Quentin said:
Thanks you. I want to show friends but they don't have a Facebook

They should still be able to follow that link. I sent it to one of my reps and she isn't on FB either, and it worked fine for her.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Finally the right idea but poor application.

Just place the SLR rotators in Aero, Jet and Streethawk bars and go from there- single color w/colored or segmented domes, mirrors, multi color rotators and clear domes, whatever.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
If you are looking for a mini SLR just look at the new FDNY rigs. It is already available. This bar is a HOME RUN for the fire industry! I would also like to see these rotators in the Jet platform.

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
emtanderson51 said:
If you are looking for a mini SLR just look at the new FDNY rigs. It is already available. This bar is a HOME RUN for the fire industry! I would also like to see these rotators in the Jet platform.

I want to see a price before I declare it a "home run." Federal Signal has been notoriously expensive.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
firefighter7017 said:
I want to see a price before I declare it a "home run." Federal Signal has been notoriously expensive.

They're all "notoriously expensive". The big 3 are not marketing to you nor me. If STL or Feinex offered products like this they would also be "notoriously expensive". This bar, for fire apparatus applications IMHO is a "home run" for FS. It offers a fresh feel, is loaded with updated technology, and will be priced competitively with the Freedom series of lightbars. If it is too expensive to purchase by a volly to strap on his/her 1985 F250 I truly do not think that makes it a failure. This is why there is such a huge used market that is, in my estimation, a 5+ million dollar a year industry. Probably double or triple that.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
One of the sales people told me that the bar as equipped in the video would "retail for about" $3200.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
CHIEFOPS said:
Finally the right idea but poor application.
Just place the SLR rotators in Aero, Jet and Streethawk bars and go from there- single color w/colored or segmented domes, mirrors, multi color rotators and clear domes, whatever.

Definitely the right idea, but I respectfully disagree about the poor application part. The Aero chassis is huge, and its application has pretty much shrunk to just fire apparatus and other very large commercial vehicles. The StreetHawk has been out of production for some time, and (IMO) the only way for it to return is having a much smaller lower deck, perhaps of a height just big enough to accept IMPAXX modules.

The Jet chassis is an interesting thought. I didn't think the SLRs would fit in a Jet, which is why I thought we would see them in the TurboBeam chassis. As the Navigator appears to be an updated Escape chassis, its specs and the Jet's specs are very close--the Jet is 4.7" tall whereas the Navigator is 4.5" tall, and the Nav is shorter than the Jet. The big difference is the overall profile of the bars, and I don't believe the Jet could accept QuadraFlare modules.

I agree with the sentiments that the Nav is a home run for FedSig. This is a legitimate competitor to both versions of the Freedom, and its overall design works all across the markets, from standard vehicles to commercial vehicles to fire apparatus. Well done, Federal!

Matted33

Feb 6, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Iowamedic2013 said:
That mini would he sweet with dual rotators..and I agree with a few above a mini VSLR would be awesome

Mini Vision SLR? I think they have been out since the full sized bar came out. I know the Port Authority Police use them on all there new SUVs.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Kevin K. said:
Definitely the right idea, but I respectfully disagree about the poor application part. The Aero chassis is huge, and its application has pretty much shrunk to just fire apparatus and other very large commercial vehicles. The StreetHawk has been out of production for some time, and (IMO) the only way for it to return is having a much smaller lower deck, perhaps of a height just big enough to accept IMPAXX modules.

The Jet chassis is an interesting thought. I didn't think the SLRs would fit in a Jet, which is why I thought we would see them in the TurboBeam chassis. As the Navigator appears to be an updated Escape chassis, its specs and the Jet's specs are very close--the Jet is 4.7" tall whereas the Navigator is 4.5" tall, and the Nav is shorter than the Jet. The big difference is the overall profile of the bars, and I don't believe the Jet could accept QuadraFlare modules.

I agree with the sentiments that the Nav is a home run for FedSig. This is a legitimate competitor to both versions of the Freedom, and its overall design works all across the markets, from standard vehicles to commercial vehicles to fire apparatus. Well done, Federal!

Oversized for mounting on a sedan, suv or van roof, that's why the aero, jet or streethawk chassis would be better choices, or even a bar with the vision pod profile

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Kevin K. said:

Looks too oversized for mounting on a sedan, suv or van roof, that's why the aero, jet or streethawk chassis would be better choices, or even a bar with the vision pod profile

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
CHIEFOPS said:
Looks too oversized for mounting on a sedan, suv or van roof, that's why the aero, jet or streethawk chassis would be better choices, or even a bar with the vision pod profile

Unless it's bigger than a Twinsonic then I see no issue with putting one on a sedan.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.