FedSig New Product - 04.10.14

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
unlisted said:
Yes, however that's not my pipe dream programmable /controllable one. ;)

You're going to loooove the 'next big thing' in about 6 months, then. Not related to the SLR but it's going to be a lighting geek's dream. I just about fell out of my chair when they told me. That's all I can say about that for now. Dang NDA's.

rettoded

Aug 12, 2011
Berks County,PA
unlisted said:
Yes, however that's not my pipe dream programmable /controllable one. ;)

Sort of like this?

But unfortunately as the video states:

"Quad-colour 1 pod is not a production item. This is a specially made demo unit only, but shows the capabilities of the Vision bar smartpods."

Perhaps maybe this will become a reality, which would be:

61LM9fXYm-L._SX466_.jpg

Snibsey

Sep 12, 2012
UK
This product reminds of the washing machines that have dozens of programme (UK spelling!) settings and you end-up using only a handful of them.

Pointless; needless complication and expense. :duh:

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
Snibsey said:
This product reminds of the washing machines that have dozens of programme (UK spelling!) settings and you end-up using only a handful of them.

Pointless; needless complication and expense. :duh:

Many of today's visual and audible warning products have features that are not utilized to their fullest potential. If we are seeing an expansion of SLR lightbars (linear or otherwise), it'd be logical to offer products with limited features in order to reduce its cost. Most fire apparatus do not need all of the features of a Vision SLR. Perhaps a Vector SLR or a linear SLR bar with limited number of patterns and single color pods would be more than adequate.

Naturally, this hypothetical product would have greater market appeal, as more agencies and perhaps volunteers would be able to afford this version versus the Vision SLR.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Kevin K. said:
Many of today's visual and audible warning products have features that are not utilized to their fullest potential. If we are seeing an expansion of SLR lightbars (linear or otherwise), it'd be logical to offer products with limited features in order to reduce its cost. Most fire apparatus do not need all of the features of a Vision SLR. Perhaps a Vector SLR or a linear SLR bar with limited number of patterns and single color pods would be more than adequate.

Naturally, this hypothetical product would have greater market appeal, as more agencies and perhaps volunteers would be able to afford this version versus the Vision SLR.

FedSig has done this with a number of their recent products including;

- SSP2000 smartsiren

- LPX "Low Cost" Legend

- Highlighter Economy version

- etc.

They have all been very well received, at least in our market, so you have a very valid point.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
2 more days, then we can finally know what FS has done to the common toaster.

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
They figured out how to create an air curtain around a vehicle to which they project light onto it. Much like a screen with rear projection.

So your vehicle will just be a giant flashing/glowing orb. Coincidentally, it does hold five slices of bread at once!

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Less than 12 hours! I have my butter and bread ready!

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Not bad. Will be neat to see different set ups, like more rotators.

I do not see where I can put my bread...

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
HILO said:
Not bad. Will be neat to see different set ups, like more rotators.

I do not see where I can put my bread...

I heard they scrapped the toaster idea in favor of this bar. A company executive was quoted as saying "The lighting world is not yet ready for a light bar that is capable of making toast. When they are ready, we will bring it to them."

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Would look great loaded with rotators and a pair of Quadraflares. I guess this is to compete with the freedom?

Damn it, i was hoping for a Mini Valor

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Very nice product! This is clearly aimed at the various Whelen Freedom models available for purchase. While the Freedom is pretty much at home in the large apparatus market, it still has a niche in the standard vehicle market as well. Based on the preliminary literature provided by FedSig, the Navigator can be nicely spec'ed for either markets.

Naturally, pricing is going to be a significant factor in whether or not it's a success. The Navigator does not appear to be features-rich like the Vision SLR, and (in my opinion) it shouldn't be. If it is priced right, the Navigator should do well for FedSig.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Whew - now I can tell you...

You'll be able to configure the bar pretty much like you would have a halogen bar. The SLR rotators can go on the ends or in the middle section, and you also have options of cascade mirrors like the good old halogen days.

The SLR and the newly revised Quadraflare lightheads will be able to dual colour as well, including the QF doing steady-on white . You can have the SLR do a white sweeping motion while en route and then turn to a red rotator when at scene.

Same with the QF's - you can have them flash red/white alternating en route then go to just red flashing at scene, or have them go steady-on white if you want. The QF's have a new reflector design and new construction to make them more optically efficient .

I saw a prototype about 3 weeks ago and it's pretty impressive. The mirror (in the middle, in the case of the bar I saw) is extremely effective - there is nothing else out there (that's LED) that has that kind of flash.

Enjoy! More to come in the next few months.

New bar slr rotator with mirror.jpg

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
firefighter7017 said:
Going to be an expensive bitch. I wonder what these things are going to start at.

They haven't indicated pricing yet but they mentioned it wouldn't be overly expensive unless you loaded it up with SLR's. They are going head-on against the Freedom for fire apparatus. There really isn't too much to the bar itself, and QF's aren't overly pricy options, but a bunch of SLRs will sure bump the price up if you went that way.

My understanding is that you can fill the bar with QF's if you want to, or fill it completely with SLR's, though the thought is that most agencies would mix the technology - 1 or 2 SLRs with the rest QFs.

It has a bigger profile than it looks in the picture. It's certainly not a low-pro bar by any stretch.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Firefly Berlin said:
Now, that thing with 2 or 3 rotators as a mini bar... :undecided: :popcorn:

It is available in an 18" bar for the upper sides of the truck. I don't know what you can fit into the 18" version, though. Hopefully at least an SLR and a QF or two.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
firefighter7017 said:
Any chance you can get a video of it?

I saw it a few weeks ago and they wouldn't let us shoot video at that point. I'm not at FDIC right now, but I'm hoping someone else will shoot some video of the bar they have there.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Don't know if anyone realizes this yet, but the Navigator appears to be using the Escape chassis. If that's true, the height of the bar is 4.5" and its width is 10.5". The literature for the new bar shows a variety of lengths available, including 45" and 53" for standard vehicle applications. In comparison, the Freedom is 3.75" tall, width is 12", and standard vehicle lengths of 44", 50" and 55". While neither bars are meant for low profile use, neither are huge. Granted, with bars like the Legacy around, they do look super-sized.

I wouldn't use the Navigator or the Freedom on sedans, but I'd use them on trucks and SUVs. I have a crew-cab pickup with a shell, and the Navigator would be a better choice than the Integrity or another low-profile bar (for my purpose). Overall, I think this a great addition to their product lineup.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
firefighter7017 said:
I heard they scrapped the toaster idea in favor of this bar. A company executive was quoted as saying "The lighting world is not yet ready for a light bar that is capable of making toast. When they are ready, we will bring it to them."

Toast, no. Bacon? Abso-freakin'-lutely. :)

And we now return to Bars & Bacon.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
leftcoastmark said:
Whew - now I can tell you...

You'll be able to configure the bar pretty much like you would have a halogen bar. The SLR rotators can go on the ends or in the middle section, and you also have options of cascade mirrors like the good old halogen days.

The SLR and the newly revised Quadraflare lightheads will be able to dual colour as well, including the QF doing steady-on white . You can have the SLR do a white sweeping motion while en route and then turn to a red rotator when at scene.

Same with the QF's - you can have them flash red/white alternating en route then go to just red flashing at scene, or have them go steady-on white if you want. The QF's have a new reflector design and new construction to make them more optically efficient .

I saw a prototype about 3 weeks ago and it's pretty impressive. The mirror (in the middle, in the case of the bar I saw) is extremely effective - there is nothing else out there (that's LED) that has that kind of flash.

Enjoy! More to come in the next few months.

View attachment 72475

Seeing that picture reminds me of a FireBeam, for some reason. Any chance the SLR rotators could be programmed for multi-color in such a degree as to replicate the FireBeam with the UF7 mirror - for example, red and white light alternating? Just brainstorming.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Doug said:
Seeing that picture reminds me of a FireBeam, for some reason. Any chance the SLR rotators could be programmed for multi-color in such a degree as to replicate the FireBeam with the UF7 mirror - for example, red and white light alternating? Just brainstorming.

Sounds like my slr beacon dream.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.