Feniex Bracket and Suction Cup Failures

Firenhp

May 20, 2012
Massachusetts
I have had a Feniex Cobra 2X for only about 2 weeks. Light works great, very bright, happy with the patterns. First I notice that I can't adjust the bracket to aim straight out the center of a crown vic windshield, the light always angles slightly down when all 3 suction cups are attached. So my push bumper definitely knows I'm coming.

Then, the first day the light sits mounted to the window in the sun for a few hours, 2 of the 3 the suction cups melted (I'm confused by this as well) right off the metal mounting nubs, leaving rubber residue behind. Now the suction cups will not seal the light to the window for more than a couple minutes without losing suction and falling off the window or pulling off the mounting nubs on the light.

I've tried wetting the suction cups with no luck. Has anyone had this problem or any suggestions on how to fix it? I'm emailing Feniex tech support tonight as well. I'm not impressed by this problem surfacing so quickly with my first Feniex light.

OutletPSE

Jun 5, 2013
Southern United States
Firenhp said:
I have had a Feniex Cobra 2X for only about 2 weeks. Light works great, very bright, happy with the patterns. First I notice that I can't adjust the bracket to aim straight out the center of a crown vic windshield, the light always angles slightly down when all 3 suction cups are attached. So my push bumper definitely knows I'm coming.

Then, the first day the light sits mounted to the window in the sun for a few hours, 2 of the 3 the suction cups melted (I'm confused by this as well) right off the metal mounting nubs, leaving rubber residue behind. Now the suction cups will not seal the light to the window for more than a couple minutes without losing suction and falling off the window or pulling off the mounting nubs on the light.

I've tried wetting the suction cups with no luck. Has anyone had this problem or any suggestions on how to fix it? I'm emailing Feniex tech support tonight as well. I'm not impressed by this problem surfacing so quickly with my first Feniex light.

Never had a problem with the brackets starting to angle down. I typically never have luck with any suction cups and honestly try my best to avoid selling them for ANY light. I usually use the suction cup brackets to fix it to something else more secure as suction cups are (in my opinion) the worse mounting platform ever designed.

Years ago before I got into lighting I bought a slim lighter from whelen. Thought I was ripped off because the light never stayed in place. Sold it to a coworker for half price just because of it. :duh: Now I just know better about suction cups. The product is under warranty though. Contact Feniex or your dealer. I know I usually stock the suction cup brackets and your dealer probably does as well. (Just make sure the bracket is tight before you go through that hassle).

edit: if you made your purchase through us, let me know your order number and I'll get another one sent out to you in the morning priority!

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Firenhp said:

Just a dab

awww.loctiteproducts.com_img_products_big_cntct_silicone.png

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Yeah.....suction cups in FL = bruises during a vehicle pursuit.... even with silicone

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
FEVER said:
Yeah.....suction cups in FL = bruises during a vehicle pursuit.... even with silicone

Makes sense.

#FloridaProblems :bonk:

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
No offense towards Feniex (because I'm a pretty big fan), but I've never liked the look of the suction cups they use... I've never used them personally, but they just look flimsy... My suggestion would be to use one of their headliner brackets... I used one for my Python 2X in my wife's Civic and it worked GREAT... I'm sure a Feniex dealer can get ya one no problem...

Here it is mounted in my wife's Civic:

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Alyssas_20New_20Car_2012_03_16_15_15_11_400.jpg

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Alyssas_20New_20Car_2012_03_16_15_34_47_369.jpg

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
Suction cups suck. TherE, I said it.

Especially the chinese ones where the molding flash is on the cupped side.

china: We make clappy suction cup for stupid US people frashing rites.

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
I've written to Feniex about their suction cups about 9 months ago and pretty much their response was o well, it is what it is. I love their light, but I am not permitted to make any mounts to the vehicle since this is my own light that I use as supplement lighting.

Dash mounting is my only option, but because the wiper blades on a Tahoe sit high, I have to raise the light higher off the dash and the cups dont adhere very good, so it falls off.

I find SOS has the best suction cups on the market for their lights.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
cybercop said:
I've written to Feniex about their suction cups about 9 months ago and pretty much their response was o well, it is what it is. I love their light, but I am not permitted to make any mounts to the vehicle since this is my own light that I use as supplement lighting.

Dash mounting is my only option, but because the wiper blades on a Tahoe sit high, I have to raise the light higher off the dash and the cups dont adhere very good, so it falls off.

I find SOS has the best suction cups on the market for their lights.

I built a platform in my CVPI to lift the light an inch off the dash. Velcro worked like a charm.. never budge in any of my pursuits or when I was ramming people. (dont buy cheap velcro though).

markko

Nov 7, 2011
USA Wisconsin
When I bought my Whelen dual Avenger, I also purchased the headliner bracket. None of that suction cup crap for this experienced installer and user.

Dec 2, 2012
Pender County, N.C.
I'm not crazy about the Feniex cups either.

I have had great luck with suction cups using alcohol prep on both the glass and the cups before sticking them together..

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
FEVER said:
I built a platform in my CVPI to lift the light an inch off the dash. Velcro worked like a charm.. never budge in any of my pursuits or when I was ramming people. (dont buy cheap velcro though).

Can you post a pic?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
cybercop said:
Can you post a pic?

I have to see if I still have it. It was just a little black plastic box that was a little bigger than the light. Was about an inch high. A piece of wood could do the same thing.. painted black of course if you need to do something on the cheap. The biggest thing is the velcro used.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
I posted a wanted add for new feniex suction cups. ive had two fail... some dealer pmed me saying hed call me to discuss the problem with me and then never did.

the cup works real well. the other two seem to be dry rotting around the edges and I have them suctioned to 20%tint so they aren't in direct sunlight....

id like to try these new ones if they are the same screw on mount. If I had room for a headliner mount id try that option but my lil kia has a very sharp angle and no real mounting space unless I want the light behind my head.... :crazy:

Firenhp

May 20, 2012
Massachusetts
The suction cups that failed for me are the small black ones. Within a couple hours in sunlight they became useless; now they won't stay up for more than a few minutes. Feniex customer support got right back to me, claiming no one has ever reported this problem before. They have offered to send a replacement bracket nonetheless.

I don't like the suction cup mounting system in general, but it's the only way I can do it with this application (although I'm trying the EZpass type super velcro at the moment). I know suction is a lousy mounting system, but until buying the Feniex light I had a 7 year old Whelen dual Talon mounted in the same place for months without falling once.

Nick@Feniex

Dec 23, 2010
Texas
All great points and I must say this thread kept me up the last 2 nights trying to think of a better solutions. I thought of anything from VHB Tape to larger suction cups. Any more ideas guys...? Only so many ways to stick a dash light to a window. Best idea gets the "new" Cobra dash light in any color combo shipped there way.

As you all know the Apollo suction cup design is night and day compared to the Cobra suction cup design. Should we just modify all Cobras to the Apollo platform since it holds up 10 times better? I can draw up some ideas and post it if you all would like?

-Nick

A1.PNG

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
If we're going to stick with a "mobile" platform, I think adapting the Apollo design to the Cobras would be a viable solution... The only drawback to that design is the width of the area that will be blocked by the light itself...

The main drawback of the Cobra mount design is the fact that the suction cups are behind the actual light, therefore creating an increased "pressure" on the mount itself... You could also modify this mount to move the suction cups to above the light (for example, the way the suction cup mounts are for the Talons/Avengers) This design would make the applied force of the light "pulling" on the suction cups more linear, as apposed to a lever/fulcrum effect that your current design has...

The other option is to replace the suction cups on the mount with a piece of 3M Molding tape. The drawback to this is that it more of a permanent mounting solution with no way to "adjust" it is you happen to mount it crooked...

This is by no means an attack on your products... I love the stuff you guys are putting out... I personally don't have any experience with any of your suction cup mounts, as I've only have a headliner mount on my Python 2X...

Keep up the great work guys!!!

txff914

May 25, 2010
Houstonl,tx
Feniex said:
All great points and I must say this thread kept me up the last 2 nights trying to think of a better solutions. I thought of anything from VHB Tape to larger suction cups. Any more ideas guys...? Only so many ways to stick a dash light to a window. Best idea gets the "new" Cobra dash light in any color combo shipped there way.

As you all know the Apollo suction cup design is night and day compared to the Cobra suction cup design. Should we just modify all Cobras to the Apollo platform since it holds up 10 times better? I can draw up some ideas and post it if you all would like?

-Nick

View attachment 59201

Nick, what about some sort of adjustable foot at the back of the light with the suction cups. The foot could be adjusted to rest on the dash and hold it up. It would kind of be like having 2 L deck brackets on it and the suction cups to hold it at the top against the windshield. If they want to stick it a lot higher off the dash offer some silicon to put in the suction cups to make it stick better.

I would like to chime in and say that I think the apollo design is the best suction cup design on the market hands down. I have one on my squad and I try to sell them whenever I can. I have little or no flashback and that thing was up there solid as a rock. I took it out to clean and and I could barely get it off.

The Cobra 1 and 2x leave a bit to be desired, they are just so so when it comes to a simple suction cup mount. If you could make one just like that for the Cobra 1x and 2x I would think that would be best for uniformity and for function. I almost wonder if you could shorten the height to account for the wider mount. An example would be that there wasnt a good way to put the apollo above all the rearview mirrors because the overall height (from the front of the shield to the top suction cup more specifically). Additionally I would find a way to get the Cobras out of the aluminum extrusion and into the back plate without the flanges, it would cut the width if you could back mount them into the rotating plate without the extra width of the flange and it would cut the depth without the aluminum housing currently used. I think if you do this with the 1x and 2x cobra you will have another winner.

The only negative here is there should still be some sort of headliner bracket option for those guys that just have to make it a fixture. lol I have faith in you guys so I will keep watching to see what you go with.

I cant say enough how happy I am with that design. I ***might have*** curbed my car in pursuit of a vehicle, sustained some damage, emptied out all paperwork on my visors due to the impact and the light never moved. In contrast I have seen my share of, Vipers,Talons and Slimlighters not fair so well in a similar instance, including some that were mounted on a visor clip bracket. I completely think you need to stick with the Apollo design for the Cobra, its bulletproof.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
TritonBoulder47 said:

This wont work with the Apollo or with the potential redesign of the Cobra that is suggest. I was simply saying that will be the next thing customers will want if the light is redesigned. I have installed the Cobra 1x and 2x many times but I always chage over to the bracket you linked. I havent felt the need yet to have something like that for the Apollo but I am sure this will be the next thing on the wish list for many of my customers. The only thing negative to the Apollo and my proposned idea is the fixed side "wings" that the suction cups mount to. They are not removable in the case of a headliner bracket mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
AutoDetailer said:
This wont work with the Apollo or with the potential redesign of the Cobra that is suggest. I was simply saying that will be the next thing customers will want if the light is redesigned. I have installed the Cobra 1x and 2x many times but I always chage over to the bracket you linked. I havent felt the need yet to have something like that for the Apollo but I am sure this will be the next thing on the wish list for many of my customers. The only thing negative to the Apollo and my proposned idea is the fixed side "wings" that the suction cups mount to. They are not removable in the case of a headliner bracket mount.

I would assume that they are in the development stages of a full Apollo Interior bar, and with that will most likely come a new style "universal" mount like the one I linked along with the standard "vehicle specific" mounts...

I was happily surprised on how well that headliner bracket work for Python 2X in my Civic... lol

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
I've had talons and vipers and suctioned cupped for years with no problems.. the cobra design is not well designed as stated. there's to much force on the cups.

I love my cobra and have gotten many compliments about it but I don't like it falling down all the time.

if there was a way to move the suction cups forward on the current bracket, or use bigger cups like W and FS have. the ones I have what looks like dry rot on the edges.

Also if you make a mount that is perforated at different angles for different windshields. my lil kia has a rear view mirror that "hangs" from the ceiling and I cant get a dash light directly behind it.

is it possible to swap aka retrofit the appolos mount/shield combo onto the cobras? ar the cobras going to remain in production for an extended mount of time? If they will be phased out to a newer product in the next few months or so then don't bother wasting time redesigning it.

Nick@Feniex

Dec 23, 2010
Texas
AutoDetailer said:

AutoDetailer,

The reason we didn't design in a headliner bracket for the Apollo family was due to the fact that the suction cup design is strong enough as it is. It remains in place with the same performance level as a headliner bracket. If we did adjust the Cobra line to a Apollo style suction housing, my guess is we would also be canceling out the headliner brackets for that product. Its kinda hard to design a headliner bracket to mount on a pivoting platform. :confused:

Thoughts?

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
FEVER said:

"or when I was ramming people."

YOU Sir, are not ramming hard enough!

:popcorn:

Nick,

I do have thoughts and kuddos to you guys for even considering input here.

1) Please dont end the headlner bracket, I use them on the Cobra sticks and other things. I wouldn't change them unless maybe you added an inch or two (in a perfect world).

2) I aagree with Jamey, I was envisioning a bracket that slides around where the apollo suction cups go, replacing the cups with a rubberized nub and connector. I like his tuning fork description :) I wouldnt lose aleep over a headliner bracket because its a solution without a problem right now, that suction cup design is SOLID. And besides that no matter how good a headliner bracket is they wiill fall away from the glass towards the lead edge, this is not an issue with the suction cups.

I could sketch out my thoughts and send them to you via Louis if that is something of interest to you.

Anyone with other ideas please chime in, rarely will you find this opportunity to give such ideas to a company.

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
Feniex said:

-Nick

View attachment 59201

I'm no pro like most of you guys, i'm just an end-user, so my idea is that the apollo mount seems to be the optimal mount because it adjust easily to various types of windshield slopes. No matter how I mount my light and tighten the screws, its just to heavy for the provided bracket and pivots down.

Also I would suggest getting rid of the black screw in type suction cups and go with clear slide on cups on a bracket like on avenger type of dash light.

I wouldnt change anything about the cups on the apollo for the new cobra. The black make me assume it is nitrile rubber because silicone is typically clear. If it is nitrile or high quality silicone it should be 100% stable to temps from 300-600 degrees down to -80 to -40 degrees. Comparing the materials used currently I think the black ones feel more durable and have a better memory for the correct shape.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
cybercop said:
I'm no pro like most of you guys, i'm just an end-user,

As Feniex has done, they reached out TO the end users for input, so technically, YOU ARE super important to the process. I don't see any of the 'Big 3' posting out in the open here as members doing what Feniex does, seeking input, feedback, and product/improvement requests!! The "end-user" is in fact, the backbone of the success of a company!

DMCGONAGIL

Feb 5, 2012
WI
Keep the design of the Apollo shield, but what if you did away with the suction cups altogether and affixed the unit to the windshield the same way you would a rearview mirror, with small metal brackets bonded to the windshield. In place of the suction cups on either side of the unit, cut notches on the tabs of the flashback shield (like the one on the right in the pic below). The unit would then slide over the two metal brackets (similar to the way a rearview mirror would). You would be able to affix the unit basically anywhere on the windshield, no having to drill or modify anything, and can be removed easily enough if you get rid of the vehicle. It was also brought up how not all windshields are not sloped the same, and to get the light heads pointing forward (instead of down) the shield doesn't always sit flush. To fix it, swivel the light heads like what Tomar did with the 200S windshield mount. That way, no matter the angle of the windshield, you can adjust the lighthead to point forward instead of down with a flush flashback shield.

Picture1.png

untitled.png

Picture2.png

DMCGONAGIL said:
Keep the design of the Apollo shield, but what if you did away with the suction cups altogether and affixed the unit to the windshield the same way you would a rearview mirror, with small metal brackets bonded to the windshield. In place of the suction cups on either side of the unit, cut notches on the tabs of the flashback shield (like the one on the right in the pic below). The unit would then slide over the two metal brackets (similar to the way a rearview mirror would). You would be able to affix the unit basically anywhere on the windshield, no having to drill or modify anything, and can be removed easily enough if you get rid of the vehicle. It was also brought up how not all windshields are not sloped the same, and to get the light heads pointing forward (instead of down) the shield doesn't always sit flush. To fix it, swivel the light heads like what Tomar did with the 200S windshield mount. That way, no matter the angle of the windshield, you can adjust the lighthead to point forward instead of down with a flush flashback shield.

Interesting idea with the mirror button lthough I don't see it working. Those buttons are hard to install, even harder to line two up with each other, and they leave a permanent mark. Additionally, a novice installer will never get a good bond and they will fall off. I just don't see an average end user being as to make it work.

The Apollo design is so great because it does rotate like the tomar.

I like where your head is on the design idea though.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
Someone mentioned 3M double sided sticky tape, I have used that before but in the North where temperatures are changing every season it doesn't work as well. I have had very good luck with 3M EZ-pass tape. 1sq inch holds like 4 pounds. I used it to hang a 911EP TD/WL36 in my back window for about 2 years and it worked wonders. I never had an issue with it falling down and I live on a gnarly dirt road.

Firenhp

May 20, 2012
Massachusetts
NFD-102 said:
Someone mentioned 3M double sided sticky tape, I have used that before but in the North where temperatures are changing every season it doesn't work as well. I have had very good luck with 3M EZ-pass tape. 1sq inch holds like 4 pounds. I used it to hang a 911EP TD/WL36 in my back window for about 2 years and it worked wonders. I never had an issue with it falling down and I live on a gnarly dirt road.

I am now trying to mount the Feniex light with the 3M EZPass mounting tape. It didn't stick to the bracket at first due to the finish, but I sanded down the bracket for a smooth surface and we'll see how that holds up. The double sided tape won't work because of the brass mounting nubs sticking off the bracket for the suction cups.

Kudos to Feniex for actively soliciting input on here. I wish I could say their customer support was being as helpful. The offer to send out a new bracket has turned into just new suction cups, and they want to put a hold on my credit card until I ship them back the broken ones at my own expense.

I have attached a picture of how the suction cups disintegrated off the bracket, leaving the rubber residue behind where they were probably glued on, in case anyone is interested in seeing it.

2013-09-01 18.00.11.jpg

Blaine B.

Aug 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Try some of that solid plastic 3M Dual Lock velcro stuff. It is the stiff velcro used for iPass/EZPass/Sun Pass automatic tolling transponders.

You can still remove the light, but that velcro stuff is VERY solid and secure.

Suction cups always come off in the sun and heat, and probably an accident, too. My Garmin GPS mounts pop off every once and awhile when sitting out in the sun, even when the GPS is not attached.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/products/Dual_Lock-xl.jpg

I have only seen it in clear, but apparently it also comes in black.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.