Feniex Bracket and Suction Cup Failures

Firenhp

May 20, 2012
Massachusetts
Blaine B. said:
Try some of that solid plastic 3M Dual Lock velcro stuff. It is the stiff velcro used for iPass/EZPass/Sun Pass automatic tolling transponders.

You can still remove the light, but that velcro stuff is VERY solid and secure.

Suction cups always come off in the sun and heat, and probably an accident, too. My Garmin GPS mounts pop off every once and awhile when sitting out in the sun, even when the GPS is not attached.

I have only seen it in clear, but apparently it also comes in black.

That's what I'm trying now. So far it's held up for 2 days. My only concern is there might not be enough surface area on the side rails of the bracket to support the weight of the light in the long term. But it will definitely not fall off the windshield. I'll let you know how it holds up.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
Blaine B. said:
Try some of that solid plastic 3M Dual Lock velcro stuff. It is the stiff velcro used for iPass/EZPass/Sun Pass automatic tolling transponders.

Suction cups always come off in the sun and heat, and probably an accident, too. My Garmin GPS mounts pop off every once and awhile when sitting out in the sun, even when the GPS is not attached.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/products/Dual_Lock-xl.jpg

I have only seen it in clear, but apparently it also comes in black.

Yes this is exactly the stuff I was talking about.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Blaine B. said:

Yes it is. I used that stuff to put a external hard drive on the back of my laptop... it takes some serious pulling to separate it. If you have the surface area for it, this stuff should work wonders.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
NFD-102 said:
Someone mentioned 3M double sided sticky tape, I have used that before but in the North where temperatures are changing every season it doesn't work as well.

Then you were using the wrong stuff... I've been using 3M Molding tape for years to hold things... You have to make sure you get the gray molding tape from the automotive section, not the white shit from the arts & crafts department... lol I even used it to mount my mobile antenna on my '95 Tahoe... Stuck without a problem for 3+ years and was still a PITA to remove...

Blaine B.

Aug 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
You can also use 3M trim adhesive tape, for holding door moldings on to your car. That is super strong. But you can't remove and reinstall the light like you can with the 3M velcro. It depends if you want to be able to remove it or not.

I suppose for cleaning the window properly, the option for temporary removal would be a good idea.

Nick@Feniex

Dec 23, 2010
Texas
All,

Sorry it took so long to get these drawings completed. Had a few other projects to finish up. Here are the rough drawings for the new Cobra dash light concept. My thoughts are to remove the extruded metal housing all together and follow the Apollo design. Everyone's feedback seemed rather positive regarding that platform. I am working on the permanent (aka headliner) mount version now. I will share in about 1 week.

*********FYI*************

DO NOT call you account manager about this new version, DO NOT assume this is going to be accept in production, DO NOT post or advertise it to a customer. This is just the first stage of product development "The 3D Sketch".

Let me know everyone thoughts.

-Nick

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
New bracket idea looks VERY good. Now, it's time to look at expanding flash patterns. There are some very good flashes for the Cobra 2x series, but there are also some awful ones... I REALLY like the [X ][X ] - [ X][ X] pattern but I had to flip a module to get an in/out pattern I really wanted. Quick easy fix but there could be a bit better flash pattern selection. That is the ONLY "downfall" to this light that I have came across so far.

Other than that, I'm going to have to put a drop of silicone on my suction cups as well.. Has fell once on me, but that very well may have been me removing my gear bag so I'm waiting before I do anything just to see if it was that.

Winner.. winner.. chicken dinner.

I love it and it was exactly what I had in mind right down to the narrower opening on flash shield. Why make it flare out so much for tir style optics. Please get this pushed through.

The headliner type bracket could use the head rotation screws on the sides although with the new design I still don't think they will be needed.

Again, you are all to be commended for bringing this to the forum for input.

Thanks

Kent

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Now this looks like a great idea. I hope it is approved and put into production. I also love the fact that Feniex is asking for end user input and actually listening, this should be a lesson to all the other manufactures...

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Just an FYI, I've had a cobra 1x stuck to the windshield of my crown vic for 2 weeks now, specifically to test the holding power of the cups since there was talk about issues with them. In that time period, it's come down on its own in South Carolina heat... I've had worse luck with suction cups from Whelen...

That being said, the new design looks awesome but I personally find suction cups to be "tacky" on permanent install jobs so an actual bracket option would be awesome!

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
Readers digest version: The swivel to allow the flash shield and cups to mount tight to the glass and allowing the customer to adjust the angle is AWESOME.

The Apollo bracket is the absolute winner for every suction bracket I've ever worked with. Pushing the suctions to the side allows the center of gravity to be more centered on the light which makes the light to get closer and hold tighter to the glass without the weight pulling on the suction cups like it does when the suction cups are behind it. The other advantage is you can push the light all the way to the top of the windshield and then adjust the angle of the light head independent from the flash shield.

I haven't had any issues with the Apollo series light falling off the glass, even on bumpy roads. One Apollo we installed on an F150 had the top two suction cups overlapping the black dots in the glass (which normally causes seal issues) and even with only the bottom two cups getting a full suction it still holds. That never would've happened with the Cobra mount.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
make it retro fitable to the older ones and I might buy one.

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
Yeap. I'd buy it for my two 2X's and likely use the 3M ez-pass tape. While suction cups would allow for a great versatility in installation, I'm not a suction cup fan cause of the way it looks really *shrug*. Personal preference for me.

I've already hacked the crap out of a cobra headliner mount. Got it to work for my application, but this could have saved me a ridiculous amount of time and allowed me to do what I've wanted to all along.

You should mock some up and send them to a few of us for testing :)

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
i really like the new bracket design. I'm sure we all made positive suggestions and Feniex took the feedback from its users and came up with the design. Kuddos to Feniex for listening to their customers.

The only problems is now I am going to have to buy a new dash light. Any trades? ;)

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
cybercop said:
I'm sure we all made positive suggestions and Feniex took the feedback from its users and came up with the design. Kuddos to Feniex for listening to their customers.

This is what sets them apart from other manufacturers. Hear that \/\/ and C3 and FS??? A Manufacturer upfront and vocal, and listening to their top consumers???

THIS IS WHERE THE MAGIC HAPPENS!!! ELB BABY!!!! :2thumbs: :popo:

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
Zapp Brannigan said:
This is what sets them apart from other manufacturers. Hear that \/\/ and C3 and FS??? A Manufacturer upfront and vocal, and listening to their top consumers???

THIS IS WHERE THE MAGIC HAPPENS!!! ELB BABY!!!! :2thumbs: :popo:

Free Apollo's for everyone!

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
SireLite said:
I would of gone with lock suction cups similar to what they use on satnavs.

No, I regularly get "attacked" by my GPS (took me a second to figure out what a satnav was) but I've got much better luck with my warning lights.

Nick@Feniex

Dec 23, 2010
Texas
Jamey@NNE said:
Some customers wont allow them in permanent installs.

Jamey,

What if we did something like this? I ran some tests on this VHB Glass to Metal bonding tape today. Its crazy strong! Took 2 of us to rip the dash light off the window.

Pro: SUPER STRONG!

Con: You really only have one shot at getting it right :cry:

i2.jpg

FYI* tape is shown in red but production models would use black tape.

-Nick

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
IDK if it's even possible, but I'd love to see a way to position the light then remove the protective film that's over the tape while it's still in position... kinda like rolling the film back over its self.

We install 3m body molding and the recommended way is just peeling backs small amount at a 90 degree angle outward like a flag and then using it to pull the rest after its tacked into the right spot.

Feniex, will this be the heavy duty 3m Velcro or just two sided tape, I think I missed that part. I can't imagine using something that doesn't allow removal for cleaning. I would also be concerned about people breaking glass pulling on it if the metal housing was used as a fulcrum. Finally, in your tests did you include extreme high or low temps?

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
foxtrot5 said:
IDK if it's even possible, but I'd love to see a way to position the light then remove the protective film that's over the tape while it's still in position... kinda like rolling the film back over its self.

I do this all the time... You only peel back a slight bit of it... It will hold enough to see if it is positioned correctly but also be "lose' enough to remove it and re position it... Then when its In the correct spot, peel the tape off and just give a press on it and you're done... Thats how my dad and I install vehicle moldings and such...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
AutoDetailer said:
Feniex, will this be the heavy duty 3m Velcro or just two sided tape, I think I missed that part. I can't imagine using something that doesn't allow removal for cleaning. I would also be concerned about people breaking glass pulling on it if the metal housing was used as a fulcrum. Finally, in your tests did you include extreme high or low temps?

The VHB tape they speak of, is the 3M molding tape...

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
AutoDetailer said:
Well I would vote for suction cups hands down over just regular "Very high Bond" tape.

Me too... I haven't had any issues with the Apollo suction cups giving out and even are very difficult to remove for windshield cleaning.

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
Feniex said:
Jamey,

What if we did something like this? I ran some tests on this VHB Glass to Metal bonding tape today. Its crazy strong! Took 2 of us to rip the dash light off the window.

View attachment 60099

-Nick

That would probably work as long as it does not damage the glass taking it off.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
id say use that and then have magnets on it so it can be removed easily to clean or swap out lights....

lets say im a volunteer firefighter and a whacker or some other use where I need more than one color or set of colors...

I could use one bracket in that spot and with magnets (5lb in strength or so) then I could easily swap out the different colored dashlights.

also it would make it easier to remove the mounted tape later by not having to work around the light with a box cutter type knife to remove the tape later on to remove it.

that tape works well but it does have a shelf life. I have a dual talon taped to my headliner trim in my f 150. the tape lasted 7 years before it no longer held.

we have folks on this board that swap out lights every 7 weeks vs 7 years so you don't want to be so "permanent"

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
But on the same token we have customers that have large fleets that the light wont be touched for 5-10 years and dont want cups rotting of magnets failing. Thats why whelen c3 and fedsig all make perm mount lights.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
SireLite said:
Are the lightheads adjustable once the dash light is mounted? As it would be a pain in the but if you had it stuck to the window only to find out that the lights are pointing too far down.

I had an apollo dash light that I bought to play with and I was able to adjust it while it was mounted to the windshield with the current suction cup mounts. Wasn't as easy as adjusting it when it was "free" but it was still very doable.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Jarred J. said:
that tape works well but it does have a shelf life. I have a dual talon taped to my headliner trim in my f 150. the tape lasted 7 years before it no longer held.

And this was in an "interior" setting...? Like I said in my post on the second page, I used the 3M Molding tape to mount my mobile antenna on my '95 Tahoe... It held for 3+ years on the outside of my truck and was still a PITA to remove it... I've NEVER seen this tape fail in all my years... I'm not saying that it doesn't or wont. just that I've never seen it... And a good majority of the vehicles on the road have this 3M Molding tape used somewhere on the vehicle...

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
yes on the interior. I don't drive my truck as much and it sits in direct sunlight most days. it did fail. I got in the truck one day and I saw the light leaning. I readjusted it and the next day the light was hanging by the wire.

to top that I just replaced that tape this year. either I put the tape on backwards or didn't clean the surface well enough cause that tape failed after a few months of 90 degree outside temps. I flopped the tape around and double cleaned the service area and not had a failure as of yet but its only been 3 weeks so maybe itll last.

last time I checked Jamey magnets don't fail... unless you drop one and desense it which is very very very rare.

rare earth magnets will never fail

Mbemt

Apr 9, 2011
Midwest USA
Feniex said:
Jamey,

View attachment 60099

-Nick

I'll take one! Tape looks so much cleaner than suction cups, and you don't have to worry about it falling.

For Feniex

The Apollo has a slight V area where the suction cups go, I assume this was to allow the shield to suck up to the windshield.

Is the design you are looking at for the vhb tape able to include the tape and the suction cups? I assume the flanges would have to be flat to use the tape. Although the tape is not my favorite idea it seems that some like it and it would add value to include the suction cups and tape (or the 3m super Velcro).

If the idea functions for the cobra I would also recommend a slight mod to include it on the Apollo product.

Any renderings on the bracket idea yet?

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
Any chance we'll see these within the next few months?

smackjack21

Aug 22, 2012
Upstate NY
A bit late to the party here, but seems like the apollo's side mount is superior to the Cobra top mount, and everyone likes that idea. It also could be a GREAT selling point if both lights had these multi-mount side wing brackets (I'm sure you guys could come up with a better description) that could accept either suction cups or the VHB tape. Include both options, and make everyone happy. Still trying to figure out what Feniex light to put in my new mustang, maybe this will help!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.