Feniex Cannon LED Hide-a-way!

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
kenton1979 said:
Christ now I'm even more confused. The first PDF shows the cannon with four wires and two modes, and a really stupid way of synchronizing them (seriously just copy Whelen's sync wire already, is that so hard?). The second PDF shows setups with FIVE wires and THREE modes, and says they can run in a brake AND tail light configuration replacing a dual filament bulb. So which is it?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Solvarex said:
Christ now I'm even more confused. The first PDF shows the cannon with four wires and two modes, and a really stupid way of synchronizing them (seriously just copy Whelen's sync wire already, is that so hard?). The second PDF shows setups with FIVE wires and THREE modes, and says they can run in a brake AND tail light configuration replacing a dual filament bulb. So which is it?

Jamey is right... there is no earthly way they can use whelens sync wire and still have the usable functions that this lighthead has. Not everyone can caters to the whelen crowd. FS, SOS, and code 3 dont all use the same setup either.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Strobesnmore said:
So are these DOT approved if they are a direct factory replacement?
There are tons of aftermarket bulbs, standard and LED. I doubt any of them are rated, and is it the bulb that gets rated, or the light assembly? They should offer some sockets for specific vehicles so they actually replace the stock bulbs.

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
Jamey@NNE said:
The five wire 3 mode will be version 2 and from what I understand out soon.

Probably closer to June. I talked to them about the PDF and they are gonna try and remove the last page or two of the wiring so it only shows the V.1 light.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
theroofable said:
There are tons of aftermarket bulbs, standard and LED. I doubt any of them are rated, and is it the bulb that gets rated, or the light assembly? They should offer some sockets for specific vehicles so they actually replace the stock bulbs.
Any replacement bulb made by a reputable manufacturer like Sylvania will carry a DOT certification. If it doesn't it is not legal to use in the vehicle as per FMVSS. Enforcement is an entirely different matter with almost no rank and file grunt cop knowing about FMVSS and DOT, from ABCs. Some people believe that in a collision an astute lawyer/prosecutor would point to non-certified lighting as the cause of the accident regardless of circumstances. That's why Whelen will tell you their HALO system is ONLY for use in CVPIs; that's what Whelen had them DOT certified in.

Having said that my LED DRLs are definitely not DOT certified and no one, cop or civilian, has said anything or even noticed.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
And as long as its bright no one is truly going to care.....

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
FEVER said:
And as long as its bright no one is truly going to care.....

...until it goes to trial. That having been said, I'd love to try some out. But I'm going to put them in a spot aside from my brake, backup and turn signals.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
firefighter31 said:
no no no famous last words around here are "Hey Ya'll watch this!"

Or "Hold my beer"

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
"Who really cares"? Are you serious? You are talking about using these on public safety vehicles and even suggesting they are meant to replace the factory lights would be irresponsible if they are not certified as such.

I can't see how any light held in place with double sided tape would ever pass DOT Testing and I can tell you for a fact DOT does care and have visited our company because we used the words "light head" to describe products. They thought we were offering "head lights" which obviously not the case but they were ready to seize everything.

I think before Feniex or any of its dealers starts to push the DOT replacement point they should do thier homework and make sure their liability insurance is paid up. Heaven forbid someones brake lights fail and they get rear ended, whos going to pay for that lawsuit?

I think its great the Feniex dealers are pushing the new product but lets keep it real.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Ultimately they won't be able to control how people use them. I myself will be using them in that format on my cvpi and I have dot motor carrier enforcement officers here waiting for them for their reverse and turn signals. If they look the same or better output wise in my housings no one is gonna know.

Feniex is your competitor so I'm sure you already pointed them towards feniex and we will all know very shortly

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
I was commenting on a post, is that not allowed? How you use them and what you suggest to customers are 2 different things. Again seems anyone disagrees with you you go on the attack. My thread was based on comments you and others made about their use was it not? Pretty nice of you to throw the DOT guys under the bus.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
FEVER said:
..Feniex is your competitor so I'm sure you already pointed them towards feniex and we will all know very shortly

Strobesnmore brought up a very VERY valid point. No reason for you to claim he called the "law" on Feniex simply because he is a competitor. :rant: Enough of this backyard bullying "he said she said" nonsense. Everyone needs to drop it already, its old, tiring and very immature. This goes for everyone who is doing it, not just people in this thread. :rant:

I hope the fed's look into this, simply for it not being DOT compliant. I'd be saying the exact same thing if Strobesnmore released a product claiming the same thing.

Also for the record, I am in no way affiliated with Strobesnmore or any other brand/vendor on here. I don't think I've even done business with Strobesnmore... So no use trying to claim I am sticking up for him.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Not going on the attack. Simply saying how I will be using them. And that even by your argument dot will be visiting feniex soon and that we would all know shortly

Sidenote: only time I've jumped on him was In Defense of Tom not anything to do with my own business. If his history with those post makes him think this is an attack I can't control it.

Edit: I like pickles!!!

Double chrispy side note: I'm not sure why he always assumes its an attack. I've given him much more praise than negative (again only in defense of tom) and openly recommended him in threads to others. Pretty sure it doesn't go both ways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
I'm with Louis on this one. It is dangerously irresponsible of Feniex to suggest these should or could be used as OEM replacements without A) a DOT/SAE certification, and B) an appropriate mount besides frigging double sided tape. You look at any major manufacturer every light they have plainly states what it's rated for. That's not by accident and its not a marketing ploy. There are federal agencies that regulate this stuff because someone out there smarter than us realized it keeps people safe.

I also think it's irresponsible to suggest this application without apprising customers of the liability involved, simply brushing it off like it's no big deal. In a country where you can sue for spilling coffee on yourself I'd think a little more self preservation would be warranted.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
So why isn't everyone complaining about all the other (non emergency lighting related) aftermarket LED tali/reverse/turn lights? And ultimately isn't the end user responsible for following the law? That's like me puting all the red/blue I have on my pov and putting all the blame on elb members for selling it. IF you don't want to put these in your lights because they aren't DOT approved... don't. If you are comfortable accepting that risk and associated consiquences... that's your choice... because we are adults. Before you all say something about knowingly breaking laws, show me one member that never, EVER speeds and I'll retract my statement and get you a cookie.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Well I seriously hope installers educate their customers about the pros and cons of everything and every place stuff is installed. I tell them the positives and negatives of each even if it results in less of a sale.

SireLite

May 21, 2010
Merseyland, England, GB
What i thought from past comments on this and SnM thread is that the lamp would replace the standard bulb holder. So the assumption was that it would fit like a bulb holder and wouldn't need screws or tape.

So its a bit of a let down that it doesn't work like that.

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
Fever, in your first post you were very specific in saying that these lights were basically replacements for factory OEM lights even mentioned the triple flash then steady brake pattern. You never said they are not meant for or designed for that purpose but you could use them as such. That is my only point.

You came on the board pushing the whole OEM replacement as a selling feature when you are now correcting yourself and stating otherwise. This is the reason myself and many numerous others asked about the mounting and I asked about the DOT approval. It was not to call you out it was for clarification as to the manufacturers intention of their use.

I have guys who use our strobes on planes and I am not sure if its legal and i tell them so. I have guys using numerous LEDs for reverse lights and I tell them I have no idea how they will perform and warn then that was not their intended design. If I said they were great FAA replacement lights with no approvals or certifications to back it up I would consider that a huge liability and not the way I want to conduct my business.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Louis. I REALLY didn't take offense to your post and I really wasn't attacking you. I'm sorry it came across that way but it wasn't how it was meant. My thing IS I'm sure we will all find out shortly of DOT truly has an issue with them.

You have much more to lose than I do. There isn't much they can take from me :) the triple flash is something that has been used on ambulances for a while and is not dot certified either but it's on every ambulance down here. It's a replacement brake light that's been used and is effective. I'll be using the same.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I think the ones my county uses are not whelen. It will be interesting to see what happens with the cannons. They might be waiting for the three mode version

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
Caught into this discussion late.... I think the "double-sided tape" is just meant as an installer assist to help mount the light with the provided screws. And anyone that doesn't use silicone, the foam, and screws to mount an LAW/HAW is just asking for problems.

I don't see an issue in keeping the factory lights in place, and using the Cannon's to supplement them. If they're as bright as described, they should have no problem blasting the factory bulb out of the water either way. Then if there's a problem with the Cannon, the factory bulb is there. I'd be wary of totally replacing OEM just because of when you decommission the car, it wouldn't have any original lights remaining if they want to move equipment from one car to the next.

Also, kudos to FEVER for being smart enough to copy the URL's of the hidden Feniex videos during the conference call... kicking myself for not thinking of it. :cool:

Doghouse

May 22, 2010
MA
I don't want to get involved in this debate , but I do like to see some lights that finally have a two wire input for various light options. I would like to see more of this. Ditch the flasher and give us stand alone lights that we can connect a flasher to that would enable us to sync everything the way we want it. And for the two or more color options, the same. I for one would love to have a cheaper/smaller light no matter what the form factor (three, four, six, TIR, LIN, ETC) that I can decide how to make work the way I like with multiple input options.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
Doghouse said:
I don't want to get involved in this debate , but I do like to see some lights that finally have a two wire input for various light options. I would like to see more of this. Ditch the flasher and give us stand alone lights that we can connect a flasher to that would enable us to sync everything the way we want it. And for the two or more color options, the same. I for one would love to have a cheaper/smaller light no matter what the form factor (three, four, six, TIR, LIN, ETC) that I can decide how to make work the way I like with multiple input options.

The steady burn on this head will be capable of hooking up to a flasher. for the dual colors you would just set the 2 modes to steady burn in each color and hook each to a different channel on your flasher.

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
Jamey@NNE said:
The steady burn on this head will be capable of hooking up to a flasher. for the dual colors you would just set the 2 modes to steady burn in each color and hook each to a different channel on your flasher.

You can also set the mode for "brake mode" and it will do the triple flash then steady on... would make a very Whelen looking flash pattern... all sync'd!

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
SirenWorld.com said:
You can also set the mode for "brake mode" and it will do the triple flash then steady on... would make a very Whelen looking flash pattern... all sync'd!

I dont think that will work with another flasher very well if at all...

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
Jamey@NNE said:
I dont think that will work with another flasher very well if at all...

They told us they had tried it and it worked, so I'll be interested to try it. The boot time on the light was like 0:00.01 so it's very fast compared to the Fairy, so in theory...........

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
SirenWorld.com said:
They told us they had tried it and it worked, so I'll be interested to try it. The boot time on the light was like 0:00.01 so it's very fast compared to the Fairy, so in theory...........

I think he is saying u wont be able to hook the "brake mode" to an external flasher.

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
FEVER said:
I think he is saying u wont be able to hook the "brake mode" to an external flasher.

Exactly, They said it was steady mode with no flashes that works. In theory most patterns by the time it gets done with its brake alert flashes the pattern is in its off time.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Went to place an order for a bunch and.. oh great, they've disappeared from the site. :mad:

mpaine

Dec 20, 2011
USA
FINALLY!!!! Something I can install in my 325i and not wreck the sacred BMW look!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.