Future Project. 1956 Model 17 - 1M15 ?

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Picked this up this week for a project light. I want to totally restore it and make it a display light. I believe it is a 1956. Definitely an early 6v model. Old style tag, but there were two reason's I bought it. One, the serial number. I've never seen an 1M15 serial number. What do you think Stansdds or Tsquale? Did I grab another military light? For those who may not be familiar, Model 17's are XX16. The first number 1=6v. Not sure what the M is.

The base is in decent shape with only a few dents, that should be easy to take out. The dome is not a Federal, but is a "Saf-T-Ray 357-1". Ever heard of that ??

DSC_0585 (Medium).JPG

The bulbs are not secured in the mounts. The clips are there, somebody was just lazy.

DSC_0588 (Medium).JPG

I altered the contrast over the SN to make it easier to see.

DSC_0587-cu (Medium).jpg
This setup is different than the later model 17s. This is identical in most ways to my Military 17 setup which is a 1957. The power for the lights is inside this box, where the later ones are on the outside where that screw comes out.

DSC_0589 (Medium).JPG

I love a mystery and I enjoy a challenge. Looking forward to making this look new.

Last edited:
Reactions: jph2

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
+1! Your drought is definitely over!

Ha. Yea it ended with a bang ! Which is the sound of my wallet slamming shut empty ! Actually I've gotten some pretty good deals. This one was on $39, which was the second reason I bought it... that I didn't mention above.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Well the restore has started. I concentrated on the inside and getting it up and running. Many inside parts were either not connected or missing. A little clean up and it runs like a top ! I am going to have to re-chrome the base and the dome needs to be polished, but I am happy to see it run. I'm also working on restoring the badge.

20170827_144839 (Medium).jpg

There were no gaskets in it so it had been leaking water for many years.

20170827_160635 (Medium).jpg
6 volt motor

20170831_160349 (Medium).jpg

Interesting mark on the motor housing.

20170831_160357 (Medium).jpg

Cleaned up and new coating. This one has a plate that sits on top of the main plate and has the bearing or spacer for the rotating shaft.
20170827_181828_LLS (Medium).jpg

20170831_110459_LLS (Medium).jpg

Going back together

20170831_154511 (Medium).jpg

20170831_191950_LLS (Medium).jpg
It runs very smooth and quiet. I thas a very good speed.

20170831_191700.gif

Looking forward to getting the base re-chromed and the badge on, but that may be several months before it happens. Just glad to save another piece of light history.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
What is the new coating you did? Do you do it yourself?

It's a poor mans yellow zinc plating. Lol.. it's Valspar Brilliant Gold Metalic Paint applied in a very light coat. It looks close to the same and protects the metal. This plate was so rusted I used a brass brush in my drill press to clean it up. It removed all of the zinc coating. Really don't want to put the expense and trouble into having it recoated and it didn't look good with the bare metal along with the rust patterns.

20170831_201822_LLS (Medium).jpg

20170831_201835_LLS (Medium).jpg

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
First I gotta say great job!!

My own 357 has not the Safe-T-Ray on the name tag or lens."

Name tags of the 6 or 7 I own all say "dominion auto" or "dominion automotive". As for the lens, they either say the Safe-T-Ray thing or" dominion automotive " + the part number code for the newer domes.

Michael

Reactions: Skulldigger

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Yup, and the dome was interchangeable with the older version Beacon Ray.

I heard the opposite some years back. That dominion and federal signal domes would not swap. I doubted it since the bases seems to be identical, along with motor assemblies of the older models. The only round dome of fedsig I have is one from a clear visibeam. What dimensions are the older fedsig domes ? Could be handy :)

Back to topic, Sorry if this was a hi-jack...

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
This Saf-T-Ray 357-1 dome is 8", just 1/8" less than a Fed dome, but it fits perfectly on the older Model 17's. This light did come from Canada.

Last edited:

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Put new gaskets in, polished up the chrome and repainted the badge and it came out great. I thought, at first, I would need to re-chrome it, but I think I'm good the way it is. A few battle scars tell stories. 1956 Federal Model 17.

DSC_0626-ps (Small).jpg

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I have to ask. How did you repaint the badge. It looks new. Great job. Would love to see your whole collection.

I spray painted the badge and let it dry overnight. Then took a razor blade and flat scrapped the paint off the high points. Took me two tries but it does pretty good.

Here is my collection. It is messy right now as it evolved around my desk. I am actually in the process of replacing the desk with some shelves so I can accommodate more of what I have and make it look nicer.

DSC_0627 (Medium).JPG

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
You did a great job with that light! And shared a couple of cool tips along the way! This light is a great addition for your collection and it's nice to see it with all the others. Well done with both the light and your collection. :)

Reactions: Skulldigger

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.