HAW/LAW placement

remote_medic

May 21, 2010
Maine, USA
Does any one have a suggested place to put a LAW in the rear tail lights of a 2007 Dodge charger? How bout in a 99 explorer? Looking at upgrading my set up but I'm quite nervous about screwing up

SBFD-E-9

May 24, 2010
Washington IL
Has anyone ever put strobe HAWs in the reverse light of an older Chevy silverado/tahoe/suburban? Mine is a 99, and I'd like to put HAW strobes there, but just don't know if there is enough room.

Thanks,

Dan

Skippy

Jul 3, 2010
Florida, USA
For he Taurus, we've had the tubes in the bottom of the headlight (pointless, really) and a cople in the turn signals which looked pretty good. The outer plastic was cut with a larger hole, then the 1" for the tube.

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
Does anyone take requests?

I know there are a ton of 07+ Tahoe's out there, so hopefully someone can chime in. I have 6 Whelen LAWS in RRRRWW and would like to place the 4 reds in the brake/tail lights and the whites in the reverse lights. If not that, at least 4 in the back and 2 up front in the headlights. Does anyone have pics of LAWS in a Tahoe tail light assembly?

My other concern is if having the LAWS in the rear lights would be noticeable or look bad. The Tahoe's have a relatively clear housing and it seems like they might stand out (or maybe it's just me because we know what to look for!). Thanks!

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
ISU_Cyclone said:
Does anyone take requests?

I know there are a ton of 07+ Tahoe's out there, so hopefully someone can chime in. I have 6 Whelen LAWS in RRRRWW and would like to place the 4 reds in the brake/tail lights and the whites in the reverse lights. If not that, at least 4 in the back and 2 up front in the headlights. Does anyone have pics of LAWS in a Tahoe tail light assembly?

My other concern is if having the LAWS in the rear lights would be noticeable or look bad. The Tahoe's have a relatively clear housing and it seems like they might stand out (or maybe it's just me because we know what to look for!). Thanks!

BUMP!

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I wish this thread could get cleaned up... This thread was designed for pics only, not everyones requests... :hopeless:

FireEMSPolice said:
I remember in one of the old boards, we had a sticky where members could post pictures of the ideal places to put HAW's or LAW's.
Post your hide away mounting spots here. Keep it limited to a picture with a year/make/model and maybe a little blurb about it.

Reactions: Station 3

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
TritonBoulder47 said:
I wish this thread could get cleaned up... This thread was designed for pics only, not everyones requests... :hopeless:

I wouldn't have to request if people played along. Out of 9,029,238,362,671,928 Tahoe installs, there is not one picture of HAW/LAW placement in this thread. We do have a friggin Saab in case anyone was wondering...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
ISU_Cyclone said:
I wouldn't have to request if people played along. Out of 9,029,238,362,671,928 Tahoe installs, there is not one picture of HAW/LAW placement in this thread. We do have a friggin Saab in case anyone was wondering...

Yeah, we do... Because BJ and I did it... Have you tried looking through the installs page...? There is a new install of a 2011 Avalanche that has LED HAWs in the tails... I know it not exactly the same as a tahoe, but it VERY close... I'd expect this kind of laziness from a newb, but not from a long standing member like you bro...

http://elightbars.org/forums/f34/2011-chevy-avalanche-fire-emergency-medical-services-pov-28479/

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
TritonBoulder47 said:
Yeah, we do... Because BJ and I did it... Have you tried looking through the installs page...? There is a new install of a 2011 Avalanche that has LED HAWs in the tails... I know it not exactly the same as a tahoe, but it VERY close... I'd expect this kind of laziness from a newb, but not from a long standing member like you bro...

http://elightbars.org/forums/f34/2011-chevy-avalanche-fire-emergency-medical-services-pov-28479/

I don't think that Avalanche was posted until yesterday, but when I saw it that was exactly what I was looking for.

I just figured if we are going to have a sticky on HAW placements, some common vehicles would be in there so people don't need to scour through install threads that may or may not have pictures of HAW placements.

I'll handle the Tahoe pics once it is done :) No harm no foul.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
kool aid 960 said:
In a Tahoe install how do you guys replace the drl with a law ? And what do you do with the drl? Thanks

Depends on if you want to use the existing hole the DRL bulb goes in or drill a new one. If you do not want to drill a new hole what I have seen done is the just remove the bulb out of the DRL socket, put some dielectric grease in the socket and tuck it away. I would advise to remove the DRL fuse also so there isn't power going to a "open socket". Just in case something were to get into the socket. But in most cases the DRL is left in and a second hole is drilled for the strobe tube or led.

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
kool aid 960 said:
In a Tahoe install how do you guys replace the drl with a law ? And what do you do with the drl? Thanks

All the advice I have gotten has been to simply swap the DRL bulb with the LAW head. You can simply silicone it in from what I understand or use the screws.

I plan on doing this shortly with Whelen LAW's, so I'll post some detailed pics.

PHX_Upfitter

Jun 5, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Here's how I mounted a HAW in a Jeep/Ford/GM/Peterbilt/etc. tail lamp. Pulled out the metal divider plate, drilled a hole, and popped the bulb in. I removed the reverse light bulb, as I was worried it could potentially get warm enough to damage the wires on the HAW, though I doubt it would really get that hot unless you were in reverse for a while. I also had to bend the brake/tail bulb down ever so slightly to fit the HAW. That said, the hole I drilled was a bit larger than 1", and thus the bulb sits down further than it would sit otherwise. If you drill a 1" hole, you may not have to bend the bulb out of the way. I kind of like having the HAW down lower, though, as it gets pretty close to the focal point of the brake lens.

Note: You could put the HAW through from the bottom, and have it sticking into the reverse light section, but I don't recommend it. That was my original intention here, but the bulb ended up way too close to the housing, even when moved down to the indented point on the base. LED HAWs should work though, assuming you're using something with a good horizontal spread (SoundOff Universal LED HAWs come to mind).

ai.imgur.com_kaFOYl.jpg

svfd450

May 23, 2010
Hartford County
Had an install for rear Vertex's on a POV. Easy to pop out the rear tail light assemblies with 2 screws. Pulled the entire light housing off and with a few modifications he was good to go.

The first Picture is the light in it's stock condition. The little wiring tab in the reverse light (all the way to the right) has to be ground off. Easy job for the Dremel.

The second picture included is the light ready to go back into the truck body. I have left the In Line Flasher's near the lightheads themselves because the only grommet is too small to pass the flashers through. A little zip tie action and they are good to go!

The Third picture was taken right after I drilled the holes for the Vertex lights. Plenty of room to fit them in and with a little fitting before final attachment you can get a great seal all around.

This is a easy truck to wire lights into the rear tail lights as long as you do a little prep and that one minor modification (reverse lamp only) The output is awesome and the lighting uses the reflectors to their full potential!

Steve

IMG_20120517_191550.jpg

IMG_20120517_184030.jpg

IMG_20120517_190555.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

svfd450

May 23, 2010
Hartford County
Installed a pair of Whelen Vertex lights for my buddy and here is the rundown. It is possible to do WITHOUT removing the factory cargo lamps. It is a pain but possible. CENTER YOUR HOLE. This is most crucial because there is NO room for error. As you can see in the third picture it is pretty damn close.

The first picture is with the Vertex installed. There is not alot of surrounding room. Yes you can still change a bulb if need be. It is not the easiest thing in the world but it can be done. Perhaps had I done a little more planning I could have spaced it a little different.

The second picture shows the angle that you are dealing with on these cargo lamps. The entire 3rd brake light assembly is sealed against water so I wasn't terrible concerned but you do rely on that grommet a bit because of the curvature of the lens itself.

Overall this was a simple little project to do and with a little planning before drilling you can add a good punch to the cargo light area of this truck.

IMG_20120516_174845.jpg

IMG_20120516_174852.jpg

IMG_20120516_174857.jpg

codemaster

Jun 23, 2012
mississippi
i have 4 clear sound off undercover haws but.. where should i put them i know im putting two in the rear back up lights but im not shure about putting the other two in the headlights. i have a fllasher installed already has anybody installed haw in the corner reflector part of the dodge charger ideas and input needed :undecided: :undecided: :undecided:

LawMan902

Mar 29, 2011
FL, USA
I hate to do this, but I have searched, researched, and even PM'd a couple people to ask with no luck, so this is my last option.

I have a second generation (2004-2009) Dodge Durango that I want to install HAW's/LAW's into, but I'm not sure where they'd be best suited.

As for the rear, I have plenty of room in the tail light/stop light to install them, but I was wondering if anyone has ever had luck also putting them in the reverse light section. It's a bit small, and I am just not sure of a good spot to stick them in there. Ideally, I'd like to have all 4 firing in an X pattern. I'd really appreciate any input before I go drilling and possibly ruin the housing.

For the front, due to the weird design of these headlights, I am kinda thinking the HAW/LAW may be better suited in the fog lights below the bulb, but not sure how this would work out with the HID bulbs in the fog lights. I'd hate to have the HID bulb melt the LAW...

Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and pics are a BIG plus. Feel free to respond via PM if you wish to not clutter this thread. Thanks!

-Chris

fier23

Feb 26, 2012
Kansas City MO
LawMan902 said:
I hate to do this, but I have searched, researched, and even PM'd a couple people to ask with no luck, so this is my last option.

I have a second generation (2004-2009) Dodge Durango that I want to install HAW's/LAW's into, but I'm not sure where they'd be best suited.

As for the rear, I have plenty of room in the tail light/stop light to install them, but I was wondering if anyone has ever had luck also putting them in the reverse light section. It's a bit small, and I am just not sure of a good spot to stick them in there. Ideally, I'd like to have all 4 firing in an X pattern. I'd really appreciate any input before I go drilling and possibly ruin the housing.

For the front, due to the weird design of these headlights, I am kinda thinking the HAW/LAW may be better suited in the fog lights below the bulb, but not sure how this would work out with the HID bulbs in the fog lights. I'd hate to have the HID bulb melt the LAW...

Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and pics are a BIG plus. Feel free to respond via PM if you wish to not clutter this thread. Thanks!

-Chris
It's been done but those are the worst years for dodge for this type of application. I had an 08 ram 1500 and I ended up going with a headlight

Flasher and tail light flasher then installed side lighting. The fog lights are a big pain and have no room at all. The ones I have seen in the turn signal and reverse lights do not reflect well at all.

Jeremy0966

Aug 12, 2012
Idaho
HAW placement in a 05-07 f250 headlight mounted in the turn signal

ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n114_jeremy0966_20120820_191330.jpg

ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n114_jeremy0966_20120820_191339.jpg

HAW placement in a 08-current f250 taillight in the stop/tail/turn section

ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n114_jeremy0966_20120820_191309.jpg

ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n114_jeremy0966_20120820_191252.jpg

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
So I've been asked to help with a new GOV that is getting lights recycled from a previous car (zero budget). They want the car to be as covert as possible. They have HAWs from the old car that they want to use. I'm concerned that placing the HAWs where they wouldn't be noticeable off the bat will put them too close to the reflector and/or lens for the HAW bulb which could lead to melting. Any suggestions?

headlight edit.jpg

tail_light edit.jpg

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Hoff said:
So I've been asked to help with a new GOV that is getting lights recycled from a previous car (zero budget). They want the car to be as covert as possible. They have HAWs from the old car that they want to use. I'm concerned that placing the HAWs where they wouldn't be noticeable off the bat will put them too close to the reflector and/or lens for the HAW bulb which could lead to melting. Any suggestions?

if its an actual HAW strobe I can see the reverse light melting like the older style impala reverse lights... the front the width looks good for heat dissipation, but the height may be too restrictive..

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
AggiePhil said:
I wonder what the best HLF/TLF/LAW setup is for a Tahoe.

Modern police package Tahoe?

Use the SoundOff (or any) plug-in flasher. You can cut one wire and ground-switch it to activate the taillight flasher on its own, separately from the HLF. (and the factory TLF MAY work without any HLF at all... I haven't tried).

I'm a fan of C3 HideABlast in the DRL lamp positions, too.

AggiePhil

Jul 17, 2010
Southwest
ryanm said:
Use the SoundOff (or any) plug-in flasher. You can cut one wire and ground-switch it to activate the taillight flasher on its own, separately from the HLF.
Looking for a slow wig-wag flasher. Don't like the super fast ones you see on a lot of Tahoes. Want it to flash like a Crown Vic HLF.

ryanm said:
I'm a fan of C3 HideABlast in the DRL lamp positions, too.
As a replacement for the DRL bulbs or in addition to?

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
AggiePhil said:
Looking for a slow wig-wag flasher. Don't like the super fast ones you see on a lot of Tahoes. Want it to flash like a Crown Vic HLF.

As a replacement for the DRL bulbs or in addition to?

All my CV flasher were pretty fast, too.

Replacement. If you don't get them factory disabled, remove the DRL fuse and bulbs... put the HAB in place of the factory bulb. It works pretty well with the reflector.

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
FireEMSPolice said:
Anyone got pictures of where you can drill in to for the Interceptor Sedan and Utility?

Front or Rear?

I just did the rear lights. The tail lights are easy. They have a giant flat spot right around the focal point of the lense. The trunk lid is more tricky. If you take the reverse light housing out you can get on into the clear void above it. Cut away the grey housing and drill the reflector. Line it up good its close.

Here is a clip

FatherOfFour

Nov 4, 2012
Indiana
'04 Ford Taurus

In the rear there is a "blank" section of clear reverse light lens (the actual reverse light only uses a couple inches, and is blocked off from this "blank" section. When you pull the tail light casing out there's a flat spot that looks like it's darn near designed to accept a light right there.

ai1137.photobucket.com_albums_n513_Ankou45_Car_20Work_GEDC0108.jpg

ai1137.photobucket.com_albums_n513_Ankou45_Car_20Work_Snapshot112_9_20123_32PM.png

In the front, it's a REAL pain in the butt to install them because of the design of the headlight casing (you can't get in there to drill into where the lights actually go, it's all encased in a shroud) so I ended up buying a cheapish (like $50) set of fog lamps, metal casing, glass lens, removed the bulb, modified the hole, and mounted the strobe, then I put them in the grill.

ai1137.photobucket.com_albums_n513_Ankou45_Car_20Work_GEDC0109.jpg

ai1137.photobucket.com_albums_n513_Ankou45_Car_20Work_Snapshot212_9_20123_35PM.png

ai1137.photobucket.com_albums_n513_Ankou45_Car_20Work_Snapshot112_9_20123_34PM.png

I realize putting the strobes in the grill totally eliminates intersection warning, however this car is a security company car and all they really wanted was that it be visible when sitting on the side of the road inside an apartment complex....guess they've had a bunch of cars smacked by people driving like idiots while their officers are on calls....

Jeremy0966

Aug 12, 2012
Idaho
slash9dotnet said:
Wow, I bet that's stupid bright! :eek:

Ya, they're pretty damn bright :cool: Hopefully my camera will keep up with the flash rate and the video will turn out decent. Ill post the vid as soon as i take it :thumbsup:

dannyboy

Jan 4, 2013
Atl GA
jpbaker6 said:
For the chargers is it better to place it in the high or low beam lights? or maybe the black? I am getting strobesnmore led haw that look like the vertexes. thanks just trying to find the best placement

did you ever do it. if so can you post some pic

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.