Honolulu Police Vehicles (More pictures)

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Hollywood said:
Screw that. In my car 40 hours a week as it is. The moment its parked in the driveway for days off, it doesn't leave until the next work week.

Hell yea!! Your in Hawaii, just get a Moped if you want to go somewhere on your personal time... You don't have to spend money on another car and it's nice almost all year round...

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Found one of our PD reservists with probably one of 2 or 3 rota-beams left in service.

HPDRB1.jpg

hpdrb2.jpg

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Honolulu PD Shift change on Young Street at the Beretainia Station (My guess in the mid to late 70's). I can identify an Old Cutlass and some sorta pontiac. Man, back then police cars were real police cars! Note that all of these cars had the old Rota-beam Model 22 or 44s strapped to the roof.

HPDBeretania.jpg

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
warubozu47 said:
Honolulu PD Shift change on Young Street at the Beretainia Station (My guess in the mid to late 70's). I can identify an Old Cutlass and some sorta pontiac. Man, back then police cars were real police cars! Note that all of these cars had the old Rota-beam Model 22 or 44s strapped to the roof
Looks like a Cutlass Supreme, Chevy Nova, and Pontiac LeMans, IIRC. :)

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
wmrfd said:
this car is in what tv show. 2 leds in the grill and 4 haw who makes these lights

That is Hawaii 5-0. Unknown what the lightheads are, most likely Whelen.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
warubozu47 said:
Found one of our PD reservists with probably one of 2 or 3 rota-beams left in service.

I didn't realize/know that Honolulu PD (1) had a reserve program and (2) allowed said reserves to deploy their own vehicles for service. Very cool.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Dave@P1 said:
I didn't realize/know that Honolulu PD (1) had a reserve program and (2) allowed said reserves to deploy their own vehicles for service. Very cool.
HPD actually pays full-time officers to use their POVs for LE work. There've been other postings on ELB about officers adding lights beyond the provided single beacon. I remember something about news media coverage of the extra lights violating the agreement between HPD and the officer or something and officers' concerns about adequate visibility.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
jph2 said:
HPD actually pays full-time officers to use their POVs for LE work. There've been other postings on ELB about officers adding lights beyond the provided single beacon. I remember something about news media coverage of the extra lights violating the agreement between HPD and the officer or something and officers' concerns about adequate visibility.

I knew of the stipend for full time officers using their own POVs, just didn't know that policy was also utilized for reserves.

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
jph2 said:

Simple solution: only allow police package/SSV vehicles to be used or purchased by the officer.

Civvie cars for police work are stupid and no one can convince me that it's anything but stupid.

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Pic taken by a friend's parents back in the 1970's

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_HPD70s.png

and another shot of EVOC training at Kaneohe Marine Corps Airfield

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_HPDEVOCTRACK.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
dmathieu said:
Nice! Did the Twins have cruise lights, maybe the flashers set to steady burn?

Yep, twins had cruise lights in um. The flashers doubled as cruise lights.

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Here are a few pics of the HPD "Slick Top" vehicles. Note that they mounted TIR3 modules to the GPS antenna on the roof.

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_hpdfront.jpg

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_HPDroof.jpg

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_HPDtop.jpg

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_hpdback.jpg

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Here's a a pic from the early 90's:

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_HIHonoluluPolice03_vi.jpg

and a cushman from the mid 80's? *Photo credit-Rodney Foster

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_cushman.jpg

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
warubozu47 said:

Ok, so this rota-beam has been confirmed by the telecom section as being the LAST rota-beam left in service with HPD. BTW, telecom is now replacing all the single dome beacons with the new Whelen Responder LP Series Super LED Mini Lightbar. So far, one district down, seven more to go!

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
warubozu47 said:
Ok, so this rota-beam has been confirmed by the telecom section as being the LAST rota-beam left in service with HPD. BTW, telecom is now replacing all the single dome beacons with the new Whelen Responder LP Series Super LED Mini Lightbar. So far, one district down, seven more to go!

Are these also set up with cruise light function, and are they the linear version?

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
dmathieu said:
Are these also set up with cruise light function, and are they the linear version?

Yep, they have the cruise light function in the bar, and they are the linear version.

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
This is probably the closest thing we've got to a real working Super Beacon Ray with the HPD cruise light. (I'll try get a better shot)

C&C1037Cruise.JPG

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Some pretty cool stuff! Back before "cheetah straps" were used... So they had quick disconnect nipples for the rota-beams

Hot Rod Cop.jpg

Hot Rod 2.jpg

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
A close up of the ROTA-BEAM light on the black Chevy looks different to me. The base looks odd to me in comparison to the typical Model 44.

Anybody else?

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
dmathieu said:
A close up of the ROTA-BEAM light on the black Chevy looks different to me. The base looks odd to me in comparison to the typical Model 44.
Anybody else?

Hey Dan, I actually manage to find a hard copy of the magazine on ebay the other week. I'll send you a color scan so you can take a better look at it, and post it here. These were taken off of the "Maka'i Connection" page, a website for former/retired Honolulu POs.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
warubozu47 said:
Hey Dan, I actually manage to find a hard copy of the magazine on ebay the other week. I'll send you a color scan so you can take a better look at it, and post it here. These were taken off of the "Maka'i Connection" page, a website for former/retired Honolulu POs.

Thanks Jeff!

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
11b101abn said:
Simple solution: only allow police package/SSV vehicles to be used or purchased by the officer.

Civvie cars for police work are stupid and no one can convince me that it's anything but stupid.

The reason behind this started decades ago, and still has merit today. Vehicles cost a lot more because they have to be shipped from the US. The PD simply found it more affordable to pay Officers to use their own vehicles than to purchase cars. And just for the record, all Police cars are 'civvie' (civilian) vehicles, the correct term is 'retail', a PPV or SSV is a fleet vehicle. A JLVT, a Humvee, an RG-33, those are some vehicles that are not civilian vehicles.

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
Any Hawaii cars have this on them? N.W. Law Enf. Equipment built(Cheetah), not sure on the beacon make(3 bulb). Tag is a little hard to read.

ai1171.photobucket.com_albums_r546_TheCopFoxStop_Light_20Bars_ab926534509e49e160e56758a5ff44ea.jpg

ai1171.photobucket.com_albums_r546_TheCopFoxStop_Light_20Bars_c8588cdd8926174f5896aa6daeb7e42e.jpg

I definitely like the Honolulu cars! :D

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
HILO said:
The reason behind this started decades ago, and still has merit today. Vehicles cost a lot more because they have to be shipped from the US. The PD simply found it more affordable to pay Officers to use their own vehicles than to purchase cars. And just for the record, all Police cars are 'civvie' (civilian) vehicles, the correct term is 'retail', a PPV or SSV is a fleet vehicle. A JLVT, a Humvee, an RG-33, those are some vehicles that are not civilian vehicles.

ci·vil·ian (s-vlyn)

n.

1. A person following the pursuits of civil life, especially one who is not an active member of the military, the police, or a belligerent group.

I like my definition better. Whatever floats your boat. Retail it is, then.

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
dmathieu said:
Anybody else?

Dan, I tried to scan the article the best I can. The original photo shows a standard base with metal retaining ring around the lens. I think the shadow may make the base look a little funny.

rbcu.jpg

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reno911 said:
Any Hawaii cars have this on them? N.W. Law Enf. Equipment built(Cheetah), not sure on the beacon make(3 bulb). Tag is a little hard to read.
ai1171.photobucket.com_albums_r546_TheCopFoxStop_Light_20Bars_ab926534509e49e160e56758a5ff44ea.jpg

ai1171.photobucket.com_albums_r546_TheCopFoxStop_Light_20Bars_c8588cdd8926174f5896aa6daeb7e42e.jpg

I definitely like the Honolulu cars! :D

Honolulu always used Rota-beams, 1200s or 800s on the 501 straps. Now they got the whelen responder LPs on a riser with a air dam.

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
dmathieu said:
You're right Jeff. It looks much better. Thanks!

I can send you a color copy of the article if you like. AND of course anyone else who might want a copy.. PM me with name and address.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.