Lets see pictures of custom lights/lightbars [CLOSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
Love the MX! Looks great..... I wish Code3 could figure out how to put the labels on straight... that drives my OCD crazy. :duh:

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
Shawn L said:
A few months ago I freshened up the old mx bar on my truck, it got all new domes, upper and lower, as well as a new set of the composite code 3 feet, I wanted to add some leds to the feet and a Whelen LIN3 fit almost perfectly. I would recommend this upgrade to anyone.

View attachment 59132

View attachment 59133

View attachment 59134

It would be neat if there were something like a Duo style LINZ6 or TIR6 (I know, two very different lights) - use it for warning and illumination. That side mount below the MX intersection light would be a great place for it.

May 16, 2010
Torrington, WY
Ok here is another one of my custom made LED lights. I had one single Whelen Vertex in blue that I had laying around and had no use for it. I ended up getting a Federal Signal deck lights and tooke the old light out of it and installed the vertex in it. I did a little bit of work on it but made everything fit in the housing. I think it turned out really well and it is bright.

Here are the pictures:

ai233.photobucket.com_albums_ee229_hawkspringsfire_IMG_20130907_132044_zps07309be8.jpg

ai233.photobucket.com_albums_ee229_hawkspringsfire_IMG_20130907_132058_zps5c28cb24.jpg

ai233.photobucket.com_albums_ee229_hawkspringsfire_IMG_20130907_133806_zps70f66052.jpg

ai233.photobucket.com_albums_ee229_hawkspringsfire_IMG_20130907_133813_zps0cb1e509.jpg

Firefly Berlin

Apr 25, 2012
Germany / Berlin
I guess I'll be "fishing in Triton's pond" since he is the resident liberty guru, but here are a few pics of my latest mini libby.

It has 12 "lightheads" powered by a ULF44 and 4 rubber coated 30 pound magnets.

4 LIN 12 corners, 1 LIN6 smart head front and rear facing, 1 TIR6 smart head in each endcap and 4 1st generation cruise light heads in the endcaps as well.

All lightheads are blue except the two rear facing cruise lights in red.

For finally completing the bar I still need two clear 500 series lenses for the endcap TIRs and a Cig plug cable with on/off and pattern select switch.

If anybody has some please let me know. ;)

20130904_182428-1.jpg

20130904_182525.jpg

20130904_182515.jpg

20130904_182508.jpg

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Firefly Berlin said:
I guess I'll be "fishing in Triton's pond" since he is the resident liberty guru, but here are a few pics of my latest mini libby.

Its a well stocked pond... lol

Firefly Berlin said:
4 rubber coated 30 pound magnets.

That doesn't sound safe... I assume that if you are going to use this bar, its going to be a "throw" light for use on scene and not in response...? I hardly trust 4-90LB mags on mini bars... lol

Firefly Berlin said:
4 LIN 12 corners, 1 LIN6 smart head front and rear facing, 1 TIR6 smart head in each endcap and 4 1st generation cruise light heads in the endcaps as well.

All lightheads are blue except the two rear facing cruise lights in red.

For finally completing the bar I still need two clear 500 series lenses for the endcap TIRs and a Cig plug cable with on/off and pattern select switch.

If anybody has some please let me know. ;)

Very cool looking bar... The little splash of read really sets it off...

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
This is my custom Code 3 420 mini bar from chief1565. Has 2 Whelen 2022 strobes set to quintflash at the moment. It isn't mounted on my Jeep yet since the chief of my dept. has yet to get permission from the city council to let us run reds and sirens. I have it set up for permanent mount. I didn't want to drill holes in my roof so me and my dad cut 2 pieces of thin metal and lined it up with the holes on the bar and bolted it to that. Then we lined up the metal "feet" and drilled holes through them and into the bars on my luggage rack. The video is of it during the day around 4:30 and around 11pm-12am. And I'll include a picture close up of how we mounted it. Also, this video was shot with an Iphone 4 and I know that strobes don't usually show up on video all that well so I was shocked that you could actually see most of them during the day video.

Code 3 420 mounted.jpg

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
This is my custom Code 3 420 mini bar from chief1565. Has 2 Whelen 2022 strobes set to quintflash at the moment. It isn't mounted on my Jeep yet since the chief of my dept. has yet to get permission from the city council to let us run reds and sirens. I have it set up for permanent mount. I didn't want to drill holes in my roof so me and my dad cut 2 pieces of thin metal and lined it up with the holes on the bar and bolted it to that. Then we lined up the metal "feet" and drilled holes through them and into the bars on my luggage rack. The video is of it during the day around 4:30 and around 11pm-12am. And I'll include a picture close up of how we mounted it. Also, this video was shot with an Iphone 4 and I know that strobes don't usually show up on video all that well so I was shocked that you could actually see most of them during the day video.

:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Mrlunchbox was looking for a clear beacon with 1 red filter and I built him 1.

NOS clear dome and base, used 2 LP6000 fast rotors,got 2 red filters off member here, picked up some magnets off of Ebay new nuts and bolts and put high temp tape on the bottom of them,13' of new cable, new cig plug and installed inline 15 amp fuse inside the light.

FILE0001.jpg

FILE0002.jpg

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Installing a fuse inside the light itself is not a bad idea. However, don't forget that the purpose of a fuse it to protect the wiring. Ideally, another fuse should be installed at the switchbox or other source of power.

May 23, 2013
nc
custom lightbar i built

took a old star lightbar shell and put strobe lights out of my federal signal vista, with fed sig ricochet power supply, and a code 3 mx 7000 rotator

i know the color might be off, but all i had to "tint" the lense was some colored tape, worked ok i guess

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Here's the 2 I have.

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

May 23, 2013
nc
ya my 6 head strobe power supply is a little different than that one, mine has a-f for output titles, and i tried the double output thing and i dunno

i hooked it to my dashlight and it seems 120w i think it is, was trying to "out power" the strobes, or either output going bad

i have my grill and front corner strobes wired together, dunno if it could fire em good, i know the whelen i got now hooked to em, when i turn on front output its really bright, and when i turn on rear right after the front, they get dimmer, thats why im thinking about the power wire not being big enough, its going from 14guage to a vista amp connector i think is 18-22 guage wire, might just make my own terminals and see if that helps

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
tacomabanga19861986 said:
ya my 6 head strobe power supply is a little different than that one, mine has a-f for output titles, and i tried the double output thing and i dunno

i hooked it to my dashlight and it seems 120w i think it is, was trying to "out power" the strobes, or either output going bad

i have my grill and front corner strobes wired together, dunno if it could fire em good, i know the whelen i got now hooked to em, when i turn on front output its really bright, and when i turn on rear right after the front, they get dimmer, thats why im thinking about the power wire not being big enough, its going from 14guage to a vista amp connector i think is 18-22 guage wire, might just make my own terminals and see if that helps

Some strobe power supplies are designed to run two or four outputs at a higher power level than when all six are activated.

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I think Star Warning Systems may have had the option at one time, but has anyone ever build a bar that was LED, but the end modules were fast rotators. The low profile rotators would look awesome and take good care of intersections

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
LRGJr72 said:
Awful... And I realize the guy was prob just having fun and screwing around, experimenting. But NO WAY would this have gone to YouTube if it were me.

Holy CRAP. Literally. Wow.

When people tell me "Hurrrr I can get lights from China for a 1/3rd the cost of something from Feniex!" I should show them this video.

Wow. :eek:

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
SirenWorld.com said:
Holy CRAP. Literally. Wow.

When people tell me "Hurrrr I can get lights from China for a 1/3rd the cost of something from Feniex!" I should show them this video.

Wow. :eek:

Hey Comon now it looks great at night.... Head on.. Lmao

slash9dotnet

Feb 2, 2012
Conneaut, Ohio
LRGJr72 said:
Awful... And I realize the guy was prob just having fun and screwing around, experimenting. But NO WAY would this have gone to YouTube if it were me.

Wow. Are those the new wide angle optics??

:duh:

On a side note - His wiper blades are just as cool!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
slash9dotnet said:
Wow. Are those the new wide angle optics??

:duh:

On a side note - His wiper blades are just as cool!

What you talking about Willis? He bought them at the same time as the lights- all at some flea market vendors booth- for a grand total of ... $8.98- almost as good as a "well used returned item" walmart sale! :bonk: :crackup: :woohoo:

(please note I have no clue who that person is and I'm just attempting to make a funny. Did it work?)

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
Note: No Animals were harmed in this photo....

ai147.photobucket.com_albums_r302_ford_dealer_MODVB_zpsf2b92a1c.jpg

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
So, I have a bunch of CPI Polished Aluminum housings for Whelen MicroMax-Beam lightheads... some stock sheet stock, and 4 LR11 Super Led takedowns...

So, with a band saw, and a drill press, I created a pair of these. I think they came out great!

ai147.photobucket.com_albums_r302_ford_dealer_MicroLMaxLR11_zpsa71986be.jpg

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
ford-dealer said:
So, I have a bunch of CPI Polished Aluminum housings for Whelen MicroMax-Beam lightheads... some stock sheet stock, and 4 LR11 Super Led takedowns...

So, with a band saw, and a drill press, I created a pair of these. I think they came out great!

ai147.photobucket.com_albums_r302_ford_dealer_MicroLMaxLR11_zpsa71986be.jpg

Bet those would look sick mounted to a push bumper and set to a slow wig-wag! :thumbsup:

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
foxtrot5 said:
Bet those would look sick mounted to a push bumper and set to a slow wig-wag! :thumbsup:

Better than that sir... they will be hooked up to a ULF44 LED Flasher...

Mode1 = Med Cruise Steady Burn for DRLs

Mode2 = Slow Wig-Wag

:cool:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
ford-dealer said:
Better than that sir... they will be hooked up to a ULF44 LED Flasher...

Mode1 = Med Cruise Steady Burn for DRLs

Mode2 = Slow Wig-Wag

:cool:

aimages3.wikia.nocookie.net___cb20130603225716_leagueoflegendsbd5575ac00ad6dc2d4978d591d2e7ca3.jpg

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
LRGJr72 said:

Are they on???

And what a waste of a good clear shell setup.

Bet the innerds are somewhere in the trash heap.

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
This is the latest release from "The Lab". A custom built Flush Mount Serial Controlled TA/Warning Light.

4 Red 6x6 400s

4 Blue 6x6 400s

1 Red TIR3 (Side Warning)

1 Blue TIR3 (Side Warning)

Controlled by a MPC01 & SCTARM8L Module

ai147.photobucket.com_albums_r302_ford_dealer_FlushTA_zps695a3650.jpg

ai147.photobucket.com_albums_r302_ford_dealer_FlushTA2_zpsd6df6bfa.jpg

oddone

Jun 21, 2013
NH
started out with old school mx7000 where the rotators are in what i call a pod as the frame does not have the ridges on it and is smooth then i took the mx7000 base lenses off and replaced with excalibur base lenses then took 12 whelen 500 series lin6 heads modified them to fit ( had to trim a little off each side a dremil tool works good for this with the cut off wheel) used double sided tape to position them then used a 2 part epoxy to secure them in place and wired them to a whelen ulf44 flasher.

At time of video and post i am waiting on the code 3 2100 flat top lenses for it should e here tuesday 11-12-13

also video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRVjFLM-gUo

DSCF1125.jpg

DSCF1126.jpg

DSCF1137.jpg

DSCF1167.jpg

DSCF1191.jpg

DSCF1194.jpg

DSCF1203.jpg

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
oddone said:
started out with old school mx7000 where the rotators are in what i call a pod as the frame does not have the ridges on it and is smooth then i took the mx7000 base lenses off and replaced with excalibur base lenses then took 12 whelen 500 series lin6 heads modified them to fit ( had to trim a little off each side a dremil tool works good for this with the cut off wheel) used double sided tape to position them then used a 2 part epoxy to secure them in place and wired them to a whelen ulf44 flasher.

At time of video and post i am waiting on the code 3 2100 flat top lenses for it should e here tuesday 11-12-13

For future reference.... Use Clear RTV Silicone to secure light heads rather than a 2 part epoxy. Much easier to remove if you need to (LED dies, etc...) and clean up is a breeze with mineral spirits. (A little Dab Will Do Ya!) :yes:

Reactions: oddone

oddone

Jun 21, 2013
NH
ford-dealer said:
For future reference.... Use Clear RTV Silicone to secure light heads rather than a 2 part epoxy. Much easier to remove if you need to (LED dies, etc...) and clean up is a breeze with mineral spirits. (A little Dab Will Do Ya!) :yes:

i was gonna do that but was told it would not hold proper

wrecker44

Jul 17, 2010
spokane,wa
LRGJr72 said:

If you look close.....you can see bolts in those mounting feet! I don't think he was kidding around lol!

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
oddone said:
i was gonna do that but was told it would not hold proper

They probably heard that on the internet... :rolleyes: Try it.... you will like it

oddone

Jun 21, 2013
NH
ford-dealer said:
They probably heard that on the internet... :rolleyes: Try it.... you will like it

not online but from others but will keep in mind if i ever do another build like this i am not gonna say here how much i have tied up in it just incase i decide to sell it at some point (but most likely not going to)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.