Motorola Command-O-Lert

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I picked this up today, never seen one before. I did not know Motorola made lights. It's a Command-O-Lert model RM-2-M, It has an SAE W 64 but looks like it is stamped 1979. Any information is appreciated. It does light up if I bypass the two devices connected to it. I think rust is just a problem and possibly the unknown device connected to it. The rectangular device with the red and white wire I have no idea what it is. Anyone know? The other looks like a noise suppressor seen on military equipment. Any info appreciated.

IMG_20220414_211623462.jpgIMG_20220414_211650130.jpgIMG_20220414_211721730.jpgIMG_20220414_211735593_LI.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Reactions: Skulldigger

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I received this information on another site that finally solves the mystery of these beacons. The one box is a relay, apparently to work like a siren relay, less voltage to the switch and more to the light. The other we all know is a noise suppressor used in military equipment. The light was manufactured by Spartan Mfg Co., in the 60's for military contracts. It used a Stratolite 77 dome, Do-Ray motors and gears and the rest manufactured by Spartan. Their version of the beacon is called "Roadmaster".

Spartan Roadmaster.jpg

God444

Mar 30, 2020
Suffolk county
I received this information on another site that finally solves the mystery of these beacons. The one box is a relay, apparently to work like a siren relay, less voltage to the switch and more to the light. The other we all know is a noise suppressor used in military equipment. The light was manufactured by Spartan Mfg Co., in the 60's for military contracts. It used a Stratolite 77 dome, Do-Ray motors and gears and the rest manufactured by Spartan. Their version of the beacon is called "Roadmaster".

View attachment 236197
what exactly is a noise suppressor what does it do what noise is it suppressing on a light?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
what exactly is a noise suppressor what does it do what noise is it suppressing on a light?
They are used to prevent electrical "noise" to the power source that can cause problems with more sensitive equipment like radios. I am surprised to see one built in, they usually are added after market inline to the piece of equipment that is producing the interference. I don't see anything in these that would make them more prone to problematic electrical feedback than any other light.

Also as far as using a relay inside a beacon I'm still confused how that is helpful. You would have to run 12v full current plus switching separate switching voltage to the light (an extra wire). If low current switching were required it would make more sense to put the relay at the switch not the device.

None of this design really makes sense to me, but it isn't something I collect and I am by no means an expert on them.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Apparently, all military vehicles required it. I don't quite know how a beacon could be a problem, but I know strobes do. We had Whelen strobes on our units back in the 80's and you could hear those in the radio and the siren speakers. Pew Pew....Pew Pew....Pew Pew...

God444

Mar 30, 2020
Suffolk county
They are used to prevent electrical "noise" to the power source that can cause problems with more sensitive equipment like radios. I am surprised to see one built in, they usually are added after market inline to the piece of equipment that is producing the interference. I don't see anything in these that would make them more prone to problematic electrical feedback than any other light.

Also as far as using a relay inside a beacon I'm still confused how that is helpful. You would have to run 12v full current plus switching separate switching voltage to the light (an extra wire). If low current switching were required it would make more sense to put the relay at the switch not the device.

None of this design really makes sense to me, but it isn't something I collect and I am by no means an expert on them.
Thank you for the answer

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Apparently, all military vehicles required it. I don't quite know how a beacon could be a problem, but I know strobes do. We had Whelen strobes on our units back in the 80's and you could hear those in the radio and the siren speakers. Pew Pew....Pew Pew....Pew Pew...
Ah yes, I remember seeing the strobe II double flash pattern in my three lead EKGs on my life pack 5 in the back of my 1989 Collins ambulance, where the power supplies were mounted under the action area. It certainly is a bigger issue with strobes which is why I was surprised to see it in a regular rotating beacon, but military use makes perfect sense. In fact, I have found a similar part in a dark CIE blue beacon that was made for the military in my collection.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Hey John, I'm not a paramedic but I don't think you were supposed to hook the strobe supply to the patient........................... maybe I'm wrong

:)
Double flash pacing and defibrillation, was in ACLS until Comet flash biphasic was invented. ;)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmoore77

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.