My FREE $10. Hill light Beaconray

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
So a friend asked me to come meet up with him,because he had a surprise for me. When I drove up he walked me over to his car popped the trunk and handed me this Hill light!!! He was like "I found it at a yard sale paid $10. for it, you like it? Made me think of little Miss Lightbar!" Well needless to say I more than like it I love it!

Here are some pics, I can't wait to polish it up and get a new dome for it. Sorry about my cat in the pics he insisted on posing with it.

20150612_172246.jpg

20150612_172345.jpg

20150612_172807.jpg

20150612_173331.jpg

20150612_172814.jpg

20150612_172820.jpg

20150612_182701-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
JEEBUZ!!

Wish I had that ind of luck.... Guess if I didn't have bad luck I'd have none at all...

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Wow, what a find.!......

Ahh, what a delight friends can be sometimes

Can't wait to see it purrrdied up...meow

Ha. See what I did there? Lmao

Reactions: JennyCop

rcfd34

Oct 24, 2011
Illinois
What is the going price on one of these my department is gonna be getting ready to sell the one we have gonna be doing some clearing out

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Saw an episode of American Pickers last week, guys were in a garage, and walked past a Beacon Ray 17 a few times.  Also saw some kind of siren on a shelf.

Wish you could put in orders with those guys.....

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Jealous. I haven't gotten a deal like that since I got a pile of vintage lights in a trade. With a few major bulb switch-outs (I usually prefer halogen red and incandescent clear to keep the brightness equal) and some polish, this will be one of the stars of your collection!

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
Nice light.
My only awesome find is a beacon ray that a friend told me about that he passed on because the dome was scratched. The light was only $40, it oscillates and has a glass red dome. The tag says 173 but it has spots for 4 bulbs. Is it tagged wrong? Cause I have another 173 that has 3 bulbs and just rotates.IMG_3506.JPG

Reactions: Skip Goulet

ex416

Apr 28, 2011
West Central Wisconsin
Nice light.
My only awesome find is a beacon ray that a friend told me about that he passed on because the dome was scratched. The light was only $40, it oscillates and has a glass red dome. The tag says 173 but it has spots for 4 bulbs. Is it tagged wrong? Cause I have another 173 that has 3 bulbs and just rotates.View attachment 150880

it sounds like you got yourself a 174 and the tag would be wrong. if you only paid $40 for it you got one heck of a deal.

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
Yup. That be a mis-tagged 174--not an uncommon occurrence. If the scratches aren't too bad, a windshield polish could help. And at $40, you are lucky not to have been arrested for theft! You lucky dog, you.
Its not bad and it's only on one side, so I display that with it facing away.
When I restore it, i have a clear glass dome for it., The red glass dome is going on my 120V 100W commander beacon.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Back in the day, Indiana State Police used clear domed 174s with read/clear bulbs with the dwell on the red.

Probably 1 clear bulb and red all the rest of the way. In some places that was common to keep the clear from drowning out the red.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I had a nice Dietz 211-WW hill light that I got c.1973. It came off a '61 Pontiac ambulance. A friend of mine shut down his ambulance service after only a couple of years in business. He was the sole black ambulance operator in Lubbock back then and yielded to political pressure. But by the time he shut down the old Pontiac was in extreme distress and I ended up running a number of his calls for him. When he scrapped the old Pontiac I ended up with the Q, two blue Dietz lollipops and an early Federal Director he had. I also got back my 77G doubletone siren that he had borrowed. You should've seen that rig with five beacons (two red Dietz "14" look alikes on the front corner and the Dietz hill light center rear), two Fireballs over the rear door and the blue lollipops between the front beacons and the Q. My 77G was on the front right fender. And the speaker for the director on the left. I guarantee.....you could see and hear that old rig coming!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.