New York State Police 2012 Chevy Caprices

2012cruiserfan

Sep 22, 2012
New Jersey
pdcarmech said:
I've been next to several , most recent at the ny state fair . Next to a ford interceptor and a new charger .. The caprice was a dark dark navy blue whic will not be used .. This car and others were prototypes.. The new color is Hugo blue..

Is Hugo Blue like a Nevada dk. blue or Delaware new 2013 Caprice or is it even a lighter color?

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
More Nevada then Delaware. Most likely NYSP will have it's own color similar to that of the current vehicles. They might even use the same color code that the Tahoes use.

MetsFan2512

Jan 14, 2013
Long Island, NY
i live on long island and always wondered somethign about NYSP...does the agency have any unusual police vehicles like hummers, trucks, motorcycles, atvs, ambulances, fire trucks, utility trucks, semi trucks, ect? all i ever seen here on long island is standard crown vic and tahoes..

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
MetsFan2512 said:
i live on long island and always wondered somethign about NYSP...does the agency have any unusual police vehicles like hummers, trucks, motorcycles, atvs, ambulances, fire trucks, utility trucks, semi trucks, ect? all i ever seen here on long island is standard crown vic and tahoes..

Behold. The answer to more questions about police vehicles than you knew you had, all in .jpg format. Updated every Monday. But whatever you do, don't link images - they'll disappear from this site, permanently. Put them on Photobucket before posting here.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
My friends website with his collection of NYSP vehicles. New York State Police Units

The NYSP's unmarked cars, for the most part from what I seen, are Impalas, Grand Prixs, various vans, and Chargers. And they do have motorcycles, boats, airboats, etc, etc. And, yes, a small fleet dump truck.

MetsFan2512

Jan 14, 2013
Long Island, NY
thanks guys, ive been a frequent visitor to the police car website but they just show the usual police car or tahoe. trying to see if any members had any pics of their own stashed away :thumbsup:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
MetsFan2512 said:
thanks guys, ive been a frequent visitor to the police car website but they just show the usual police car or tahoe. trying to see if any members had any pics of their own stashed away :thumbsup:
Go to my link, a lot better then the police car website.

cgb

Sep 20, 2012
Long Island, New York
lafd55 said:
My friends website with his collection of NYSP vehicles. New York State Police Units
The NYSP's unmarked cars, for the most part from what I seen, are Impalas, Grand Prixs, various vans, and Chargers. And they do have motorcycles, boats, airboats, etc, etc. And, yes, a small fleet dump truck.

This.

I've also seen an unmarked 2012 Charger R/T, an Avalanche and a Buick LeSabre. Though, most commonly, I see the dark blue Tahoe's.

Anyone got any more pics of stealth graphic units? I love the oddball cars.

cgb

Sep 20, 2012
Long Island, New York
lafd55 said:

This.

I've also seen a 2012 Charger R/T, an Avalanche and a Buick LeSabre. Though, most commonly, I see the dark blue Tahoe's, with various lighting setups.

Anyone got any more pics of stealth marked vehicles? I love the oddball cars.

gabrod

Dec 3, 2012
NY
cgb said:
Wow! I've heard the rumors of stealth marked Troopers, but I've never actually seen any evidence. Interesting!

Yes there is, I saw one in the Taconic recently, got me by surprise.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
gabrod said:
Yes there is, I saw one in the Taconic recently, got me by surprise.
That's the only stealth marked one i think, i know they are using more and more unmarked tahoes for interstate patrol.

gabrod

Dec 3, 2012
NY
lafd55 said:
That's the only stealth marked one i think, i know they are using more and more unmarked tahoes for interstate patrol.

Yep you are right, unmarked ones are becoming very common in the thruway.

cgb

Sep 20, 2012
Long Island, New York
lafd55 said:
And the light set-up for the unmarked Tahoes are disgusting!!!

What setup do they use by you? I've seen multiple setups for the Tahoes around me.

There's one that's got a R/W (more W than R) full interior Edge (or similar) bar in the front and rear (rear had a T/A as part of it) and countless surface mount LED's that I see once in a while, but more commonly, I see them running the same setup the slicktops have, with reds in the grille, R/W foglights, and R/B Slimlighters in the rear windshield. I remember more details but I'll save the keyboard mileage for now. lol

Jun 4, 2010
new york
Wasn't there an internal directive from the State Police that they weren't allowed to use unmarked vehicles for traffic enforcement after a series of thruway rapes by police impersonators?

cgb

Sep 20, 2012
Long Island, New York
blue70chevelle said:
Wasn't there an internal directive from the State Police that they weren't allowed to use unmarked vehicles for traffic enforcement after a series of thruway rapes by police impersonators?

There was until a couple of years ago when they decided to change it. Unmarked NYSP cars in any form are still a rarity.

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
According to some troopers I've spoke with, the NYSP definition of unmarked is different from what most people consider unmarked.

The Tahoes, CVs and other vehicles that are painted the same color blue as the marked cars with regular NYSP license plates (i.e. #X## format) may not considered unmarked by NYSP standards.

For example: New York State Police

New York State Police

New York State Police

They are also testing slick-top cars.

What they consider unmarked are vehicles like BCI vehicles that are not painted blue and either have regular NYS GOV plates, or regular passenger car plates

Last edited by a moderator:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
That Impala is before Stripping and neither the Tahoe or Crown Vic are used for patrol anyways. That type of set-up Tahoe is very very common with ERT and Dive Units and some investigators and never used to pull people over.

The Tahoes I have seen for patrol have an interior lightbar that's R/W with a bad flash pattern, surface mount lightheads above the rear license plate as well as license plate lights(not 100% remember), mirror beams, grille lights, and rear side windows, also some have traffic backer or criss-cross tailights. All lights are either split-fail or terrible flash patterns lol. Should have just had grille lights the usual slick-top talons upper passenger/center windshield and wig-wags, traffic advisor and 2 single deck lights and traffic backer.

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
What troop are you in?

Down here in Troop F, I have never seen one of those new kind of Tahoes. In fact the only new Tahoes for highway use I have seen are fully marked ones with unusual numbers. ie F109, F107 etc. I am told those are dedicated traffic safety units (kind of like a highway patrol inside the SP).

I have seen one of those semi-unmarked cars pull someone over a few times. I believe it is either the zone sgt. or the troop sgt. (unit # 2F52)

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
vc859 said:
What troop are you in?

Down here in Troop F, I have never seen one of those new kind of Tahoes. In fact the only new Tahoes for highway use I have seen are fully marked ones with unusual numbers. ie F109, F107 etc. I am told those are dedicated traffic safety units (kind of like a highway patrol inside the SP).

I have seen one of those semi-unmarked cars pull someone over a few times. I believe it is either the zone sgt. or the troop sgt. (unit # 2F52)
I'm in G.

cgb

Sep 20, 2012
Long Island, New York
lafd55 said:
That Impala is before Stripping and neither the Tahoe or Crown Vic are used for patrol anyways. That type of set-up Tahoe is very very common with ERT and Dive Units and some investigators and never used to pull people over.
The Tahoes I have seen for patrol have an interior lightbar that's R/W with a bad flash pattern, surface mount lightheads above the rear license plate as well as license plate lights(not 100% remember), mirror beams, grille lights, and rear side windows, also some have traffic backer or criss-cross tailights. All lights are either split-fail or terrible flash patterns lol. Should have just had grille lights the usual slick-top talons upper passenger/center windshield and wig-wags, traffic advisor and 2 single deck lights and traffic backer.

Sounds just like the first one I described. Only the one with the interior bar that I saw didn't have Mirror beams, but DID have surface mounts on the running board if I remember correctly. In my experience, it seems that no two unmarked Tahoes have the same setup. And on top of that, it seems they just throw whatever random lighting equipment they have laying around onto their unmarkeds in general. The interior bar'd one is really mucked up though - the interior lightbar I believe was W/R/W/R/TD/W/TD/R/W/R/W, or something similar, just way too much white. It had taillight wig wags, going from the bottom red bulb to the middle white bulb, but on the passenger side, it activated an LED hideaway that flashed on a Whelen 'stutter' pattern, instead of just illuminating the taillight bulb. I thought it looked pretty silly and kind of half assed to be honest. You're dead on about the patterns, they seemed to be all just programmed at random.

FWIW, I'm in Troop L. I dunno how it is by you, but around here we see all sorts of weird stuff all the time, for instance: a CVPI Slicktop with the addition of a standard issue Liberty on the roof. There's even a Tahoe running around here that's still got a Streethawk on it. They even swapped out one of the rear facing amber lenses for a blue one!

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
Left NY in '88, the State running 2 troopers per car now? Trying to figure out the second spotlight. I can see it's use in an FTO's vehicle, as I tried to convince my employer I needed a second spot when I was training to no avail.

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
patrol530 said:
Trying to figure out the second spotlight. I can see it's use in an FTO's vehicle, as I tried to convince my employer I needed a second spot when I was training to no avail.

Rigging the second spot to the takedowns and pre-aiming it makes for some awesome officer safety at night.

FDNY 10-75

May 24, 2010
NY
cgb said:
Sounds just like the first one I described. Only the one with the interior bar that I saw didn't have Mirror beams, but DID have surface mounts on the running board if I remember correctly. In my experience, it seems that no two unmarked Tahoes have the same setup. And on top of that, it seems they just throw whatever random lighting equipment they have laying around onto their unmarkeds in general. The interior bar'd one is really mucked up though - the interior lightbar I believe was W/R/W/R/TD/W/TD/R/W/R/W, or something similar, just way too much white. It had taillight wig wags, going from the bottom red bulb to the middle white bulb, but on the passenger side, it activated an LED hideaway that flashed on a Whelen 'stutter' pattern, instead of just illuminating the taillight bulb. I thought it looked pretty silly and kind of half assed to be honest. You're dead on about the patterns, they seemed to be all just programmed at random.

FWIW, I'm in Troop L. I dunno how it is by you, but around here we see all sorts of weird stuff all the time, for instance: a CVPI Slicktop with the addition of a standard issue Liberty on the roof. There's even a Tahoe running around here that's still got a Streethawk on it. They even swapped out one of the rear facing amber lenses for a blue one!

You're referring to one of the CITE (concealed identity traffic enforcement) tahoes. There are at least a half dozen in every troop now.

See video: State Police Unveil Unmarked Tahoe In Time For 'Operation Hang Up' - Rochester

These aren't all navy with black rims anymore either, there are silver, maroon, tan, etc and they blend right in...

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
I meant specifically the CITE cars. The one pictured has an NYSP license plate. I would think they would put regular passenger plates on the cars so they blend in more.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
vc859 said:
I meant specifically the CITE cars. The one pictured has an NYSP license plate. I would think they would put regular passenger plates on the cars so they blend in more.
I don't remember, but I think they have Troop Plates.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Saw this today at local Ford Shop. First BLUE Interceptor for the State Police, that I have seen, all the others are black. Special Order sticker says Troop G.

ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt272_lafd55_IMG_20130630_131034_zpsd3f41793.jpg

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
RyanZ71 said:
Someone needs to tint down that taillight.. ugggh.!!

Oh yeah, I totally agree, it sucks when people can tell when you're braking, amirite? :rolleyes:

cgb

Sep 20, 2012
Long Island, New York
Huh.

So are those blue cars actual purchases? And more ghost cars... Looks like the NYSP is going to have an interesting variety again.

And in regards to the question about the CITE Tahoe's, all of the ones I've seen in person have Trooper plates on them. That may not be a 100% across the board thing, but then I've never seen a CITE Tahoe that wasn't blue yet either.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Why or how would they not be purchased vehicles? And not to mention, they are testing vehicles to replace the CrownVic, the only reason to have a variety of cars....

Last edited by a moderator:

cgb

Sep 20, 2012
Long Island, New York
lafd55 said:
Why or how would they not be purchased vehicles? And not to mention, they are testing vehicles to replace the CrownVic, the only reason to have a variety of cars....

I suppose I should rephrase that. Given that these are the first units we've seen that aren't painted in 'testing' black, I'm wondering if these vehicles are going into permanent service, or if it's just another round of testing. As far as the variety thing, well, that's a given, lafd55. I'm just happy to see something other than CVPI's and Tahoe's.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.