NYPD package lights and sirens Outfitted by Fleet Safety NY

911EL

Jun 10, 2012
NY
anystrobe said:
Thanks for the upload, I'm very impressed with those intersection hideaway cut outs, I have never seen those before.

Stop by my new shop more often and you'll see extremely impressive work!

wtbysix

May 31, 2010
Nassau, NY
anystrobe said:
The work is nice on the Hatzolah vehicles, Just wondering how they get away with it.

the question isnt how Hatzolah gets away with it. They are permitted to have lights by NYS VTL Laws.

Its how do that whackers get away with installing $20,000 worth of lights

V

Volunteer

the question isnt how Hatzolah gets away with it. They are permitted to have lights by NYS VTL Laws.

Its how do that whackers get away with installing $20,000 worth of lights

They get away with installing so many lights because they enjoy saving the money up to buy all of it. It's their hobby and personally I think they can do what they want. I'm a member but currently am not in service because I'm out of country but I know that every member pours their hearts into this service and what they do is amazing, so what they like to have a hobby and put a bunch of lights, I say let them be because the proper intentions are there.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
The Suburban certainly does have 360 degree coverage...but those lights inside the back window behind the tint are wasted. Didn't even realize they were there until the closeup.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Very good work on those Tauruses 911EL... Quite impressive.

I suppose you don't improvise on the lights positionning ? Is there a standard ? Are you provided with schematics ?

Black Hoe

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
anystrobe said:
The work is nice on the Hatzolah vehicles, Just wondering how they get away with it.

Hatzolah member POV's are covered by Section 115-C of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Laws under the heading of Emergency Ambulance Service Vehicles.

In Brooklyn, you also have alot of POV's owned and operated by NYPD Shomrim Society members. I assume given by your location and reputation, that Fleet Safety NY has alot of customers from these groups.

NYPD Shomrim Society

911EL

Jun 10, 2012
NY
wtbysix said:
You did the ENTIRE install on this car of just put the mobiles in the console?

The car was brought into my shop with lights and sirens. When it got to our shop we uninstalled and re-installed everything in that vehicle. We made the custom plate for the two mobiles and closed up the car. We uninstalled and re-installed because the customer had everything else installed my someone else who batched up.

911EL

Jun 10, 2012
NY
Black Hoe said:
Hatzolah member POV's are covered by Section 115-C of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Laws under the heading of Emergency Ambulance Service Vehicles.
In Brooklyn, you also have alot of POV's owned and operated by NYPD Shomrim Society members. I assume given by your location and reputation, that Fleet Safety NY has alot of customers from these groups.

NYPD Shomrim Society

Yes, many of our customers are part of Hatzolah, Shomrim, and Chaverim.

911EL

Jun 10, 2012
NY
PJD642 said:
The Suburban certainly does have 360 degree coverage...but those lights inside the back window behind the tint are wasted. Didn't even realize they were there until the closeup.

Those are Whelen Slimlighters and the customer had nowhere else to put it so he put it there.

911EL

Jun 10, 2012
NY
TheGatekeeper said:
Very good work on those Tauruses 911EL... Quite impressive.

I suppose you don't improvise on the lights positionning ? Is there a standard ? Are you provided with schematics ?

We improvise the light position based on how the vehicle is built. We don't have standards for that for all cars, we position it based on type of Hideaway and where its going to flash. We are not provided with schematics, however we do sit down with the costumer and discuss where he wants his equipment mounted. based on that we make our schematics.

Thanks, for your input on the Taurus.

Manny,

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
911EL said:
Those are Whelen Slimlighters and the customer had nowhere else to put it so he put it there.

TheGatekeeper said:
There was another option : NOT to install them at all. :weird:

You beat me to it, Gatekeeper - simply not installing them would have been the best option. I've got a pile of lights I COULD stick on my cruiser, but I've got sufficient coverage as is, so....

911EL - I'm sure you were just doing as asked, don't take my previous comment as a slam against you. I just gotta wonder if the customer even pays attention to output versus sheer numbers.

I've got a new theory now: Hatz folks intentionally load up their vehicles with as many flashing, strobing lights as their alternator will support in order to create seizures in members of their community. This results in more runs, with more blinky lights and more seizures, and so even more runs, all with the goal of being able to demonstrate how necessary they are by saying "Look at this call volume we have!"

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
EMT-BLS said:
Must be a difference in location...most common setup around here is a Impala, with a Dual Viper in the front, two Dual Vipers on the deck, HLF, and LAW's in the front. As far as I've heard, the only NYPD vehicles that use Whelen are Highway.

Yes, Highway has the tir6 slimlighters, but I've seen a bunch of unmarked NYPD CVPI's and SUV's with a GenI R/W slimlighter on the dash over the years (and some of these vehicles had 2-3 GenI slimlighters)

The thing that's been annoying me a lot lately (aside from having a seizure everytime hatzolah drives by me) is that a lot of these guys have been adding blue to their side warning...it's getting annoying how we see ppl bending the lighting laws more and more, and it reflects poorly on the rest of us...I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I started seeing hatzolah members adding blue grill lights and eventually blue modules in their forward-facing lightbars, because they just seem to do whatever they can to show up the others in their squad IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
pdk9 said:
Yes, Highway has the tir6 slimlighters, but I've seen a bunch of unmarked NYPD CVPI's and SUV's with a GenI R/W slimlighter on the dash over the years (and some of these vehicles had 2-3 GenI slimlighters)

The thing that's been annoying me a lot lately (aside from having a seizure everytime hatzolah drives by me) is that a lot of these guys have been adding blue to their side warning...it's getting annoying how we see ppl bending the lighting laws more and more, and it reflects poorly on the rest of us...I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I started seeing hatzolah members adding blue grill lights and eventually blue modules in their forward-facing lightbars, because they just seem to do whatever they can to show up the others in their squad IMHO

I think it has already happened.. There is one black Suburban on YT obviously in NYC, obviously overloaded with LEDs "à la Hatzolah", with R/B in front... I'll try to dig it up..

gabrod

Dec 3, 2012
NY
Don't get mad when they get collared for "impersonation" just sayin...

Like that gentleman that got collared with a car full of lights in manhattan about 2 years ago

911EL

Jun 10, 2012
NY
PJD642 said:
You beat me to it, Gatekeeper - simply not installing them would have been the best option. I've got a pile of lights I COULD stick on my cruiser, but I've got sufficient coverage as is, so....

911EL - I'm sure you were just doing as asked, don't take my previous comment as a slam against you. I just gotta wonder if the customer even pays attention to output versus sheer numbers.

I've got a new theory now: Hatz folks intentionally load up their vehicles with as many flashing, strobing lights as their alternator will support in order to create seizures in members of their community. This results in more runs, with more blinky lights and more seizures, and so even more runs, all with the goal of being able to demonstrate how necessary they are by saying "Look at this call volume we have!"
Thank you for not slamming me. I was and continue to do what I am asked to do.

Many folks just enjoy when others talk about their car so that is a big reason why they load up their car with many blinking lights.

911EL

Jun 10, 2012
NY
pdk9 said:

Many brooklyn members live in New Jersey where blue is permitted so they start bending the rules. Besides for that they still do what ever they want.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
911EL said:
Many brooklyn members live in New Jersey where blue is permitted so they start bending the rules. Besides for that they still do what ever they want.

As a former NJ resident and volunteer EMT, nothing pissed me off more than seeing these guys with a home in NJ but a vehicle in the driveway with NY tags and all sorts of lights. Plus using them not only to get to Hatzolah calls but some of them were also volunteers with local squads and would run to those calls with red lights and siren (illegal for vollies in NJ). Once had them try to jump a call in my district, ended up with PD almost arresting them. Personally I've never had a positive encounter with Hatzolah, and even a neutral one is a stretch.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Sorry to get off tangent Fleet Safety, and this is nothing against you Fleet Safety, because I think your work is very nice and you only do what is requested by the customer, but....Hatzolah is a volunteer agency, which means that it relies a lot on monetary donations...If each Hatzolah member sold 3/4 of their POV lights (which would still leave each of their vehicles with more lights than a fire truck), I think each member could use that money to donate a $hitload to their agency. Just saying.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
pdk9 said:
Sorry to get off tangent Fleet Safety, and this is nothing against you Fleet Safety, because I think your work is very nice and you only do what is requested by the customer, but....Hatzolah is a volunteer agency, which means that it relies a lot on monetary donations...If each Hatzolah member sold 3/4 of their POV lights (which would still leave each of their vehicles with more lights than a fire truck), I think each member could use that money to donate a $hitload to their agency. Just saying.

Who said the donation money went to equip personal vehicles?

I think if it were to be the case, the population which benefits from Hatzolah's services would express its irritation...

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
pdk9 said:

Glad you think so. But these are people who drop what they're doing to take calls, so I'd say they're giving enough. Additionally, Hatzolah doesn't pay for their gas they burn on the way to calls, or the abuse the vehicles takes while being driven Code 1. It is not our place to sit back and tell other people what to donate, when we all know that if we could, we'd be doing the same thing to our vehicles. Let's face it: more blinkies, more fun.

911EL

Jun 10, 2012
NY
EMT-BLS said:
Glad you think so. But these are people who drop what they're doing to take calls, so I'd say they're giving enough. Additionally, Hatzolah doesn't pay for their gas they burn on the way to calls, or the abuse the vehicles takes while being driven Code 1. It is not our place to sit back and tell other people what to donate, when we all know that if we could, we'd be doing the same thing to our vehicles. Let's face it: more blinkies, more fun.
Love it!!!

911EL

Jun 10, 2012
NY
pdk9 said:
First off, Thank you!

Non of the agencies money goes to the members car. The organization has a ton of money from many different sources. They are well off.

These people have fun loading up their car and help out a ton of people at the same time. Honestly, I am jealous of their volunteer work. They are amazing!

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
pdk9 said:

Like this?

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
It doesn't really matter which video you look at. It either has blue to the front now, or did at one point...

May 22, 2010
New York City
lafd55 said:
It doesn't really matter which video you look at. It either has blue to the front now, or did at one point...

sure it does, if you listen to the dialogue , you will understand they are just messing around to see how it looks !

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
anystrobe said:
Arts and crafts, what is that, A UFO??

I agree. As much as their members' actions and volunteer work is laudable, when it comes to equip their cars it's just laughable. :weird:

So far I haven't seen a car whose install was obviously thought out. It seems to be "where there is a spot, there is a LED!" philosophy.

Look at that Nissan... Dash + headliner, overcrowded grille, deck + headliner... Not much thought put into it.

If I belonged to that community I think this kinda gear on expensive toys would somewhat affect credibility, and reflects poorly on the corps.

It makes me wonder if some of this fellas don't get into the volunteer work for the sheer purpose of installing lights on their cars !

Would be interesting to hear a "real" Hatzolah member on the subject...

911EL

Jun 10, 2012
NY
TheGatekeeper said:
I agree. As much as their members' actions and volunteer work is laudable, when it comes to equip their cars it's just laughable. :weird:
So far I haven't seen a car whose install was obviously thought out. It seems to be "where there is a spot, there is a LED!" philosophy.

Look at that Nissan... Dash + headliner, overcrowded grille, deck + headliner... Not much thought put into it.

If I belonged to that community I think this kinda gear on expensive toys would somewhat affect credibility, and reflects poorly on the corps.

It makes me wonder if some of this fellas don't get into the volunteer work for the sheer purpose of installing lights on their cars !

Would be interesting to hear a "real" Hatzolah member on the subject...

Hey, I do plenty of work for them and I dont take pride I in what gets put were. However, I take pride in my work, neat wiring and mostly my clientele (Who I deal with) .

I love the way you put down the philosophy!!! made me laugh hard! Thanks for this one good laugh!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
My comments were of course not directed at you or your outfit Manny, which you understand.

As far as I'm concerned, you guys are doing a top notch job, as I already mentioned earlier. :thumbsup: (Darn, I wish I lived in Brooklyn!!)

It's what that particular customer wants that I find is sometimes.... astounding.

But hey, Customer IS king afterall ! ;)

toubis

May 21, 2010
New York
pdk9 said:
If each Hatzolah member sold 3/4 of their POV lights (which would still leave each of their vehicles with more lights than a fire truck), I think each member could use that money to donate a $hitload to their agency. Just saying.

I guess all that i would have left is my firebeam....

iceman4122

May 25, 2010
New York
TheGatekeeper said:

I think its great how u can judge an entire organization made up of a couple of thousand volunteers who use their precious time and money to answer hundreds of calls a day without asking for a penny all by looking at a couple of youtube videos from FRANCE. Maybe you should come to Brooklyn one day or at least listen to an online scanner and just listen for a little while. Its amazing what you might learn.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
1. NYPD precincts have Commanding Officers (C.O.s) not "CEOs", and while they are issued Dept credit cards, I highly doubt one would expense a light/siren install on a Dept vehicle that FSD didn't see fit to, that is not what the card is for, and the monthly limit probably isn't high enough to cover it. In fact, if a Dept vehicle that FSD didn't designate as an Emergency Response Vehicle came into the shop for service with anything more than a cigarette plugged "FBI light" it would set off alarm bells.

2. The volunteer vigilante squad known as the shomrim are not the NYPD Shomrim Society.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
iceman4122 said:
1. Read my statement again, especially the first sentence.

2. Bunch of guys here from your own country who do share the same opinion.

3. We are talking and stating opinions about car equipment, NOT about the actions of the Hatzolah people who drive those cars.

Again, read correctly and thoroughly.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
CHIEFOPS said:
2. The volunteer vigilante squad known as the shomrim are not the NYPD Shomrim Society.

Thanks for clarifying this. I looked up the NYPD Shomrim Society, and was confused about their need for emergency vehicles. After reading your post, I looked up Shomrim and generated several viable sites--one of which was the group located in Brooklyn. I'm not going to pass judgment on an entity existing because of religious beliefs or political origins; however, I am curious as to how these various groups are integrated into the emergency management and response system.

I'd imagine if their responsibilities are well-defined the entities maintain compliance with rules, regulations, laws, policies and procedures, there shouldn't be any notable issue with their existence. I get the impression that this isn't the case for the majority of these volunteer or private emergency services located throughout the NYC metro area.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Kevin K. said:
....... I am curious as to how these various groups are integrated into the emergency management and response system........

They're not. That they exist at all is because of their influence in local politics as a voting block.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.