Official Junk, Overpriced, etc. Thread

Skip Goulet said:
I missed that the first time around. Camp whaaaat? :p That's groovy!

I have never seen a mechanical mounted down into the roof line like this. I wonder how loud that was in the cab? What a beautiful unit she was in the day. Too bad some wanker ruined her. If I had to die on the way to the hospital this would be my choice, in an art deco Caddy.

Torpedo said:
I have never seen a mechanical mounted down into the roof line like this. I wonder how loud that was in the cab? What a beautiful unit she was in the day. Too bad some wanker ruined her. If I had to die on the way to the hospital this would be my choice, in an art deco Caddy.

I don't think that the flat-to-the-roof mount was exclusive to S&S, as I've seen a few others...just didn't pay attention to the coachmaker. I'd agree with you, though, I bet it would be loud in the cab like that. I'll have to look in a couple of my ambulance books and see who else had them that way.

Skip Goulet said:
That one on Ebay would've been a fine car. Whoever let it get in the shape it's in now oughta be taken out and shot! In the b/w pix, I'd love to have that '57 Ford wagon.

Whoever let it get in that shape??? THE PREVIOUS OWNER CUT THE CAR IN HALF AND MADE IT INTO A CAMPER AND SAVED THE REAR END INSIDE HIS BARN. That's just wrong!...very undignified.

August Arborists said:
Camp Climax for girls? Really?

When I saw the Camp Climax sign the first time I read the post I was going to comment, but decided that in the name of good taste, I would bite my tongue. However, since the flood gates have been opened...In the RI / MA area, there's a day camp called...Camp Ramsbottom. It's true (you can't make this stuff up).

Tristar said:
Whoever let it get in that shape??? THE PREVIOUS OWNER CUT THE CAR IN HALF AND MADE IT INTO A CAMPER AND SAVED THE REAR END INSIDE HIS BARN. That's just wrong!...very undignified.

Car's in Maryland and the e bay seller name is Mdtorch. I think we have our perpetrator.

REGULATERS! Posse up!

Tristar said:
When I saw the Camp Climax sign the first time I read the post I was going to comment, but decided that in the name of good taste, I would bite my tongue. However, since the flood gates have been opened...In the RI / MA area, there's a day camp called...Camp Ramsbottom. It's true (you can't make this stuff up).

Camp Ramsbottom is less than 2 min from our shop!

Torpedo said:

Well, I was a bit mistaken. I spoke to a friend of mine in PCS yesterday and he says that the sirens bolted directly to the roof were an exclusive feature of S&S ambulances. He pointed out that everyone else used the standard Federal roof brackets on their ambulances.

On another thread last week a guy has a pair of Federal WL sirens for $300 each; and he seems to think that's a bargain. Federal sold them for $75 for many years, and I told him so. Don't think he appreciated my comments. :(

Skip Goulet said:
On another thread last week a guy has a pair of Federal WL sirens for $300 each; and he seems to think that's a bargain. Federal sold them for $75 for many years, and I told him so. Don't think he appreciated my comments. :(

I don't know the value of those sirens, and I'm not defending the seller, but...what an item sold for when it was commercially available is not relevant to its value as a collectable.

Tristar said:
I don't know the value of those sirens, and I'm not defending the seller, but...what an item sold for when it was commercially available is not relevant to its value as a collectable.

I totally disagree. Those sirens have not yet reached antique age or value. Anyone willing to pay the ridiculous prices I see on Ebay for such as this has more money than brains. Actually maybe a lot of money but no brains whatsoever!

Skip Goulet said:
I totally disagree. Those sirens have not yet reached antique age or value. Anyone willing to pay the ridiculous prices I see on Ebay for such as this has more money than brains. Actually maybe a lot of money but no brains whatsoever!

Skip - I agree that people often pay prices that are insane, for whatever reason. I've often wondered how many sellers get friends to bid on items they have on *bay to artificially boost the bidding price. As far as not reaching antique age, that too, doesn't necessarily relate to the value. Just because something is old doesn't make it valuable, and often, the value of new items can often increase ...it's all supply and demand. This can be seen in the world of art, coins, cars,...; virtually everything that people collect.

Skip Goulet said:

FIRE ENGINE SIREN FEDERAL SIGN + SIGNAL CORPS

Skip - I dare you to call this guy and tell him what you think! Keep in mind, that according to him, "THESE ARE VERY HARD TO COME BY AND ARE VERY COLLECTABLE. ALL COMEPLETE, AND COMES WITH SELNOID PICTURED". (sic) When you call him, please make sure to ask him what a "selnoid" is...does that help sell the siren?

Tristar said:
Skip - I agree that people often pay prices that are insane, for whatever reason. I've often wondered how many sellers get friends to bid on items they have on *bay to artificially boost the bidding price. As far as not reaching antique age, that too, doesn't necessarily relate to the value. Just because something is old doesn't make it valuable, and often, the value of new items can often increase ...it's all supply and demand. This can be seen in the world of art, coins, cars,...; virtually everything that people collect.

Sometimes on *bay I list high so people can contact me and work out a deal outside of *bay, less fees. I sell here and on other forums but sometimes people don't want to pay up on the forums for a top notch item. Lets face it, *bay has pretty much millions of users compared to thousands on a forums. I'm not greedy but I do pass on savings to people, especially to end users then to resellers.

Tristar said:

Skip - I dare you to call this guy and tell him what you think! Keep in mind, that according to him, "THESE ARE VERY HARD TO COME BY AND ARE VERY COLLECTABLE. ALL COMEPLETE, AND COMES WITH SELNOID PICTURED". (sic) When you call him, please make sure to ask him what a "selnoid" is...does that help sell the siren?

Did you take a good look at this siren? It's a nice looking 77L doubletone siren, but the tag on the housing shows that it's a 66L. Like most of the sirens made by Federal regardless of the class, they were made and sold by the thousands until they were discontinued in 1978. A lot of them were continued to be sold by dealers who stockpiled them either for anticipated sales or those who knew that Federal was dropping them. This siren appears to be in very good condition and should fetch up to $150 as prices are going (much to my objection as I've already noted). The 77L sold for $175, and never more than that. In fact, if I remember correctly, the doubletones were dropped well ahead of the others, not in '78 as I mention above,but maybe earlier '70s. This was at the point when the rush for everyone to get into electronic sirens was hurting siren sales for everyone....not just Federal. Back in 1967 I was totally surprised and saddened when the funeral home where I worked traded off a very good Q to get a Director and a pair of CP25 speakers which went on an Oldsmobile coach-type ambulance that replaced our '59 Ford wagon. When a private service took over as sole ambulance provider also in '67, they bought the funeral home's Oldsmobile. First thing they did was to remove the Director and CP25s and put a Q on the roof.

As to the solenoid, it will be helpful if the new owner uses something other than the traditonal spring-loaded footswitch, but it doesn't add to the value of the siren. I don't buy the "rare and hard to find" claim. I see that all the time on Ebay and it's just a ploy to justify a higher asking price. I understand (which I didn't for a good long while) that anyone listing on Ebay has to ask high because of the fees involved and the fact that Ebay gets their "cut" of the selling price. Ebay is a means of "licensed" theft, and they do their own share of stealing as it is. (End of rant). And, yes, I plan on calling the guy and hear the air turn blue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tristar said:

Well, it looks like I goofed. I just happened to click on to see if this one was still here. It actually is a 66L, not a doubletone. That means it's worth a lot less than I stated before. The 66L isn't even a coaster. And they're more numerous than the doubletones, just like the 66L's underhood counterpart, the 28.

Tristar said:

Well, I finally got around to contacting this guy. He still has it listed for $500 on C.L. Haven't heard back from him yet, if I do.

You can probably get that car for $7000 elsewhere according to their mark-up. These guys are colossal clownd!€#s. <- borrowed from chargerlighting...lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOKO