Official Junk, Overpriced, etc. Thread

Skip Goulet said:
Well, it looks like I goofed. I just happened to click on to see if this one was still here. It actually is a 66L, not a doubletone. That means it's worth a lot less than I stated before. The 66L isn't even a coaster. And they're more numerous than the doubletones, just like the 66L's underhood counterpart, the 28.

it says siren wheres the switch to turn it on.

I thought it was a speaker

chief1565 said:
it says siren wheres the switch to turn it on.
I thought it was a speaker

Nope, it's a motordriven siren with a red light. It woud take a solenoid to use a pusbutton or toggle switch, but the old big footswitches didn't require them. Just need a good battery and alternator! :yes:

Skip Goulet said:
Nope, it's a motordriven siren with a red light. It woud take a solenoid to use a pusbutton or toggle switch, but the old big footswitches didn't require them. Just need a good battery and alternator! :yes:

Thanks for the info.

lotsofbars said:
I offered $20 for it with a note that says "I'll pay $25 if it spins." I can't wait for the butthurt to begin.

Well, you've already seen my comments about overpriced stuff. I was nice enough this time, though, to tell him he had a beacon, not a siren.

Tristar said:
When I saw the Camp Climax sign the first time I read the post I was going to comment, but decided that in the name of good taste, I would bite my tongue. However, since the flood gates have been opened...In the RI / MA area, there's a day camp called...Camp Ramsbottom. It's true (you can't make this stuff up).

I can do one better on that. There is a town not far from where I used to live called Ramsbottom.

Here it is on the map. http://goo.gl/maps/9PnTE

Skip Goulet said:
Well, it's not described as an LED, just as an incandescent landing light bulb. But $114 for an old landing light bulb is ridiculous. You can still get at parts houses for $30.

There is a such thing as changing the description as I am sure he was contacted about his BS. It WAS described as a LED and he had a picture of a Whelen box for the 28v LED replacement lamp.

Item Revision Details

K9Vic said:
There is a such thing as changing the description as I am sure he was contacted about his BS. It WAS described as a LED and he had a picture of a Whelen box for the 28v LED replacement lamp.
Item Revision Details

I know they can update and/or revise their ads. Unfortunately you don't see that nearly enough. A number of years ago a lady had a nice Federal 66G siren listed that she described as a Federal Q. I politely told her that it wasn't a Q but a 66G. She emailed me and someone else who had also mailed her a nice note saying that she had been told that Federal Q was a generic term referring to any motordriven siren. She updated her ad quickly. :yes:

tsquale said:
1956 Seagrave Firetruck Federal Sign and Signal Corporation Siren | eBay

$450 obo...so I offered $5.05...needless to say the seller was not amused :haha:

I sent the seller the following: "FYI – this is not a siren, but a flashing light. A siren makes noise…this does not. If it were in great shape, it might fetch $100. Please tell me how much you’re willing to take for this (considering the condition)."

I'm curious to see his response. He has the nerve to charge $24.95 for shipping, and to make the following statement: "This part is a used part; therefore, the item might have some light scratches/dents." Talk about the understatement of the year!

Tristar said:
I'm familiar with that town...my proctologist Dr. Ben Dover lives there.

I'm familiar with that doctor, I said "your nose is cold" and he pulled his finger out so fast my arse slammed shut.

Tristar said:
I'm not expert on the value of Mars lights, but $600??? Really? And, there's something odd looking about the lights...I"m not sure what.

Mars Skybolt Light bar for sale

Talk about someone smoking something...this guy's totally stoned. I bought a nice Mars Skybolt bar from a dealer a few years ago for a whopping $75, and thought that was high at the time.

There must be some good drugs going around Chicago...Yet another Mars Chicago PD (or so he claims) bar for sale (no can lights or siren speaker, and I thought the lenses should be blue) for an obscenely high price!

MARS LIGHT BAR FOR SALE

Last edited by a moderator:
Tristar said:
There must be some good drugs going around Chicago...Yet another Mars PD (or so he claims) bar for sale (no can lights or siren speaker, and I thought the lenses should be blue) for an obscenely high price!

MARS LIGHT BAR FOR SALE

That certainly IS a Mars bar. While it may not be left in Chicago PD configuration, the crossbar and beacons are genuine.

As for the price, depending on the day he could convince someone to pay that much.

Virtually the ENTIRE USED inventory of "LightbarLiquidators.com". I know it isn't CL or Ebay, but I was offended enough by it I figured I had to say something. Perhaps it's just me, but you should check it out yourself and let me know if i'm outta line ;)

I'm constently emailing sellers who put up Vista upper strobe assembilies up has Whelen products.

tsquale said:
That certainly IS a Mars bar. While it may not be left in Chicago PD configuration, the crossbar and beacons are genuine.

As for the price, depending on the day he could convince someone to pay that much.

My goof...I know it's a real Mars bar...I left out "Chicago".

wrecker44 said:
Virtually the ENTIRE USED inventory of "LightbarLiquidators.com". I know it isn't CL or Ebay, but I was offended enough by it I figured I had to say something. Perhaps it's just me, but you should check it out yourself and let me know if i'm outta line ;)

WOW a basic MX for $250 ouch.

jdh said:
WOW a basic MX for $250 ouch.

How about the $2000 Edge Messenger bar he has?

"Cost over $4,880.00 to make . will sell for $1,999.95 FOR LOCAL PICK UP ONLY. CAN NOT BE SHIPPED"

Or:

"Amber whelen 12 strobe minibar custom bar from hell.

Bar #,,178 , has 12 strobes packed in. That’s right 12 !!! brand new amber lenses and endcaps.

This bar uses 2 whelen 6 outlet power supplies !!!!This is a custom made bar with all whelen original parts and can not be bought at the factory this way. This has over $1,300.00 in bulbs and power supplies alone !!!

Will let this one of a kind bar go for only $729.95 !!!!"

Yeah it wasn't made that way from the factory because he used all 3x4 strobes lol.

Those are just 2 I picked at random; there's more ridiculous-ness on pretty much every page of that website.

I'm assuming he doesn't "liquidate" his lights very fast....

Skip Goulet said:
My usual rant: $239 for a light that sold for less than $100, or the Skybolt bar above: $1000 for a bar that sold for less than $200 complete.

Skip - this hurts me to say this, but I agree with you on these!!!

Isn't amazing how these people come up with thier price. Priceless.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOKO