Official Junk, Overpriced, etc. Thread

txff914 said:
Ya but they shouldn't be labeled as a fed sig product.

I would agree if they're showing them that way for general sales. But if it's something they built for Federal, that would be a different matter. I just wonder if Federal knows they're doing this.

Tristar said:
I'm not expert on the value of Mars lights, but $600??? Really? And, there's something odd looking about the lights...I"m not sure what.

Mars Skybolt Light bar for sale
ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g338_Jennycop_00Q0Q_9s3dcP7XRL6_600x450_zps32555fa3.jpg

Yup really! Even this one as incomplete as it is without the can lights, mounting feet and speaker could fetch that price and possibly more. It's a hard to find light bar, and in high demand By Chicago Police fans but it takes a person really wanting it to pay that price. I have seen then from $500- $4000. depending on condition and how complete they were.

What you find odd looking about the lights is that they have blue Trilite domes instead of Mars domes on the beacons, it also has Federal Signal Mounting feet.

Skip Goulet said:
Talk about someone smoking something...this guy's totally stoned. I bought a nice Mars Skybolt bar from a dealer a few years ago for a whopping $75, and thought that was high at the time.
Sorry Skip but this guys not totally stoned, he has been watching the Mars market closely and knows what he can get for the bar. Skip you have a tendency of basing the value of an item based on what it originally cost back in the day! Ha! I wish I could find a Mars bar for $75. now, I'd stock up on them! Skip, they are now an antique and a collectors item.... based on your way of pricing a 1957 Chevy Belair with all the bells and whistles cost $2,757.00 New back in the day, today it be worth what $300. to you? Reality is today that same car in fully restored as new condition is $68,000.00! Unrestored and found rotting in a yard it's still worth more than its original factory price! why? Demand, rarity and is now a collectors item. Think of what year your purchased the bar for $75. were they still available from Mars? Had they just recently been discontinued? When they filmed the blues brothers the bars were destroyed in the car's chase scene with no regard to their value? Why because they were a dime a dozen. Now I watch it and cringe thinking wow that's a $1000 to $2000 dollar bar getting smashed.

Tristar said:
There must be some good drugs going around Chicago...Yet another Mars Chicago PD (or so he claims) bar for sale (no can lights or siren speaker, and I thought the lenses should be blue) for an obscenely high price!

MARS LIGHT BAR FOR SALE
ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g338_Jennycop_00O0O_7FgqsS7jcOH_600x450_zps9c98a066.jpg

Again, no drugs here or obscene price. refer to past reply.

Chicago Police ordered so many of these bars that Mars nicknamed the Mars Skybolt combo Bar the "Chicago Police bar" or "Chicago bar" for short.( view attached image from Mars catalog) That was with or without the beacons, can lights and speaker. Chicago FD used bars with out can lights or speakers on some vehicles. Chicago Pd ran a couple with out speakers too.

ok now about domes and lenses, Both Chicago PD and Chicago FD used colored inserts, blue= police Red=fire, Chicago Police got tired of the filters falling off and keeping the rotators from turning, so they switched to blue colored domes. This is and older mars with the 2.5" bar, so the clears would be correct on this for Chicago pd, just missing the blue filters. The bar in this add is also complete with original Mars mounting brackets and domes.

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g338_Jennycop_scan0032_zps4d124dd9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
JennyCop said:
ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g338_Jennycop_00Q0Q_9s3dcP7XRL6_600x450_zps32555fa3.jpg

Yup really! Even this one as incomplete as it is without the can lights, mounting feet and speaker could fetch that price and possibly more. It's a hard to find light bar, and in high demand By Chicago Police fans but it takes a person really wanting it to pay that price. I have seen then from $500- $4000. depending on condition and how complete they were.

What you find odd looking about the lights is that they have blue Trilite domes instead of Mars domes on the beacons, it also has Federal Signal Mounting feet.

Sorry Skip but this guys not totally stoned, he has been watching the Mars market closely and knows what he can get for the bar. Skip you have a tendency of basing the value of an item based on what it originally cost back in the day! Ha! I wish I could find a Mars bar for $75. now, I'd stock up on them! Skip, they are now an antique and a collectors item.... based on your way of pricing a 1957 Chevy Belair with all the bells and whistles cost $2,757.00 New back in the day, today it be worth what $300. to you? Reality is today that same car in fully restored as new condition is $68,000.00! Unrestored and found rotting in a yard it's still worth more than its original factory price! why? Demand, rarity and is now a collectors item. Think of what year your purchased the bar for $75. were they still available from Mars? Had they just recently been discontinued? When they filmed the blues brothers the bars were destroyed in the car's chase scene with no regard to their value? Why because they were a dime a dozen. Now I watch it and cringe thinking wow that's a $1000 to $2000 dollar bar getting smashed.

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g338_Jennycop_00O0O_7FgqsS7jcOH_600x450_zps9c98a066.jpg

Chicago Police ordered so many of these bars that Mars nicknamed the Mars Skybolt combo Bar the "Chicago Police bar" or "Chicago bar" for short.( view attached image from Mars catalog) That was with or without the beacons, can lights and speaker. Chicago FD used bars with out can lights or speakers on some vehicles. Chicago Pd ran a couple with out speakers too.

ok now about domes and lenses, Both Chicago PD and Chicago FD used colored inserts, blue= police Red=fire, Chicago Police got tired of the filters falling off and keeping the rotators from turning, so they switched to blue colored domes. This is and older mars with the 2.5" bar, so the clears would be correct on this for Chicago pd, just missing the blue filters. The bar in this add is also complete with original Mars mounting brackets and domes.

I stand corrected. However, I must say, that regardless of how many Mars bars were destroyed in the making of The Blues Brothers, it still ranks as one of the funniest movies ever!

JennyCop said:

The TriLite domes are what you get when you order domes for Mars products now since Trippe bought out Mars a few years ago. My '74 GMC van ambulance came with twin Skybolt beacons with original domes, but both were in bad shape. Ordered new ones from TriLite at nearly $40 each (10 years ago). Had to do that twice as we kept losing the domes. The dome housing have a twist-lock device to secure them to the base of the beacon, so I know they were put on properly, but they kept getting lost in traffic. Replaced the lights with a nice pair of junior beacons I had, and they're still on the truck.

Tristar said:
I stand corrected. However, I must say, that regardless of how many Mars bars were destroyed in the making of The Blues Brothers, it still ranks as one of the funniest movies ever!
I agree and It is my favorite movie of all time, it never gets old!

Skip Goulet said:
The TriLite domes are what you get when you order domes for Mars products now since Trippe bought out Mars a few years ago. My '74 GMC van ambulance came with twin Skybolt beacons with original domes, but both were in bad shape. Ordered new ones from TriLite at nearly $40 each (10 years ago). Had to do that twice as we kept losing the domes. The dome housing have a twist-lock device to secure them to the base of the beacon, so I know they were put on properly, but they kept getting lost in traffic. Replaced the lights with a nice pair of junior beacons I had, and they're still on the truck.
Let's not get literal here. Even though you do get the domes from Trilite, the correct domes for the Skybolts are still branded "MARS" and are exact duplicates of the originals, including having the slots for the colored filters. The ones pictured are for a Trilite beacon, have no slots for filters and are incorrect for the Mars Skybolt beacon. Mars Skybolt domes are currently $29. new from Trilite-Mars, colored filters are $5. each.
The City of Chicago was having the same issue with their lights as you did with yours. After a while the twist-lock would wear out and the vehicles vibrations would cause the retaining rings to slowly unluck. They corrected it by drilling a small hole on the side of the retaining ring and securing the ring to the base with a small sheet metal screw. I do the same thing to all of mine, and I have never lost a dome.

IMG_20131008_173358_832.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
JennyCop said:

Let's not get literal here. Even though you do get the domes from Trilite, the correct domes for the Skybolts are still branded "MARS" and are exact duplicates of the originals, including having the slots for the colored filters. The ones pictured are for a Trilite beacon, have no slots for filters and are incorrect for the Mars Skybolt beacon. Mars Skybolt domes are currently $29. new from Trilite-Mars, colored filters are $5. each.

The City of Chicago was having the same issue with their lights as you did with yours. After a while the twist-lock would wear out and the vehicles vibrations would cause the retaining rings to slowly unluck. They corrected it by drilling a small hole on the side of the retaining ring and securing the ring to the base with a small sheet metal screw. I do the same thing to all of mine, and I have never lost a dome.

One of the Mars beacons I have has a glass dome. Mind you it is a locomotive beacon, and the lamp holders reflect that, not to mention it is 74V. Therefor no slots.

jdh said:
One of the Mars beacons I have has a glass dome. Mind you it is a locomotive beacon, and the lamp holders reflect that, not to mention it is 74V. Therefor no slots.

But is it a Skybolt? Thats what makes the difference. The Mars RB10 had a glass dome and no slots. I'd love to see pictures of your Mars beacon and its lamp holders! Can you post some? Please! Please! Thanks

JennyCop said:

Thanks for that information, Jen. Wish I'd known that back then. Seems like they've actually gone down on the dome prices. The ones we got came direct from TriLite, and they did have the filter slots even though we got solid color red and blue domes.

CrownVic97 said:
Drugs were used in the making of this auction.......viewer discretion advised.1956 Seagrave Firetruck Federal Sign and Signal Corporation Siren | eBay

This was discussed about ten days ago. I posted the following on 9/30:

I sent the seller the following: "FYI – this is not a siren, but a flashing light. A siren makes noise…this does not. If it were in great shape, it might fetch $100. Please tell me how much you’re willing to take for this (considering the condition)."

I'm curious to see his response. He has the nerve to charge $24.95 for shipping, and to make the following statement: "This part is a used part; therefore, the item might have some light scratches/dents." Talk about the understatement of the year!

I never heard back from the seller...what a complete idiot...Darwin missed him!

JennyCop said:
But is it a Skybolt? Thats what makes the difference. The Mars RB10 had a glass dome and no slots. I'd love to see pictures of your Mars beacon and its lamp holders! Can you post some? Please! Please! Thanks

Here you are Jen, a few pix of the Mars beacon I was mentioning with my other Skybolt I have. The locomotive beacon has no bulbs in it. That is the way I got it. I traced them down and the bulbs cost $80 a piece. OUCH.

MARS LOCOMOTIVE BEACON 5.jpg

MARS LOCOMOTIVE BEACON 4.jpg

MARS LOCOMOTIVE BEACON 3.jpg

MARS SKYBOLT.jpg

jdh said:
Here you are Jen, a few pix of the Mars beacon I was mentioning with my other Skybolt I have. The locomotive beacon has no bulbs in it. That is the way I got it. I traced them down and the bulbs cost $80 a piece. OUCH.
Very nice! :thumbsup:Thank you so much for sharing the pics! :yes: $80. ouch indeed! :eek: Just as I suspected due to you saying it had a glass dome, the railroad light is an RB model, in fact they are both RB models NOT Skybolts! The dome on the chromed one is a Skybolt dome though, but it is incorrect for that light model. Even though it fits and looks good on it.

JennyCop said:
Very nice! :thumbsup:Thank you so much for sharing the pics! :yes: $80. ouch indeed! :eek: Just as I suspected due to you saying it had a glass dome, the railroad light is an RB model, in fact they are both RB models NOT Skybolts! The dome on the chromed one is a Skybolt dome though, but it is incorrect for that light model. Even though it fits and looks good on it.

Thanks Jen. I woundered about the second light. I thought it odd having a 3 bulb holder. Now I know why I got it for so little$$$$$$LOL

Im glad someone here can straighten us out on Mars products. :p

jdh said:
Thanks Jen. I woundered about the second light. I thought it odd having a 3 bulb holder. Now I know why I got it for so little$$$$$$LOL

Im glad someone here can straighten us out on Mars products. :p

I thought I saw three bulbs on that one beacon. Mars marketed a 3 bulb light and they called it a "TriRadial". I had a pair of the mini-Spectra bars several years ago and they had the three lamp tri-radials to the outside with 888s to the inside of each bar. Like the Skybolts, the Spectras had ridges inside the domes for the colored inserts; so we had alternate red/blue on both sides with a touch a clear in the 888 sections. We had these bars roof-mounted on a '75 Chevy Type II van ambulance. The Spectras replaced a TwinSonic that came on the truck.

GALLS

everything is overpriced and they sell junk....

Jarred J. said:
GALLS

everything is overpriced and they sell junk....

When Galls first opened back in the early to mid '70s, they had good prices and quality products. This was when they were under independent ownership. Now the same corp. owns Galls and Weargard Uniforms.

In the 'old days' Galls used to have some incredible bargains. For example, they had some discontinued Smith&Wesson concealed mount electronic sirens for less than $100 at one time, and another, some discontinued Code 3 bars for about $125. I bought one of those, along with a discontinued Whelen dash strobe. Seems like the quality of customer service goes down in the big corporate world!

MtnMan said:
You know it's bad when they have 20% off sales you still can't find anything worth buying.

I know the feeling. I'm on their email list. When I see the sales I always look, but 20% off an already-high price isn't much of a discount. When I look at the clearance racks when I'm shopping, I won't buy anything unless it's 60% off or better.

chief1565 said:
lets jump all over this one.
Lightbar and Dash Lights | eBay

1600.00 will take you all the way.

I wonder if that $1600 is just a typo. I've seen that happen on Ebay before. A few years ago, a guy ended up bidding $10,000 for a Q whose highest bid was just under a grand before this guy bid. I've always figured that was a typo, too, and wondered if he got that straightened out.

maybe after I put it on here for awhile I'll contact him on it.

Usually if I tell somebody about something like that it's gone before anybody here sees it.

Skip Goulet said:
I wonder if that $1600 is just a typo. I've seen that happen on Ebay before. A few years ago, a guy ended up bidding $10,000 for a Q whose highest bid was just under a grand before this guy bid. I've always figured that was a typo, too, and wondered if he got that straightened out.

I believe that even if the guy bid $10,000, it will only go high enough to outbid the previously high bidder, so there's no way he would be stuck paying the 10 grand.

Skip Goulet said:

I think the $1600 might be a typo, but not in the sense you mean...In the description, he states "I am selling my lightbar and dash lights and switch broad for $1500.00 obo". So, he means either $1500 or 1600. He's also selling his switch broad...does that mean that his wife...oh wait, never mind.

Tristar said:
I believe that even if the guy bid $10,000, it will only go high enough to outbid the previously high bidder, so there's no way he would be stuck paying the 10 grand.

That's what I figured; but I was relatively new to Ebay back then, so I didn't no how they handled that.

Don't know how to post the link, sorry, but there's a sorry looking model 17 Beaconray on EBay right now with a buy it now price of 600.00 !

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOKO