Official "Whacker" or "Screwed Up Install" Thread

Is this the worst spotlight install you have ever seen?

• Yes

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 78.7%

• Total voters

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
okc_f150 said:
What a waste! I can understand wanting lots of lights, but this is ridiculous. Take away the interior Cobra 600 rear, take out the Cobra in the grille. There, I saved him $400. #splitfailgalore

If you have to follow that guy, you need a pair of blue night-vision glasses. :p

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
LAPDfalcon said:
Treading a very fine line I suspect. Bring one of those cars down here and see what happens. Hint, not pretty.

firefighter7017 said:
For what it's worth, those guys have some nice equipment/cars. Don't know many rentacop agencies that would shell out for an SLR.
Company certainly likes to spend cash on the promo cars. The SLR is on a new Falcon GT, AUD$65k! The black K9 unit is a Falcon GS ute, AUD$50k. And who in their right mind would use a GT86 for security?

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Skippy said:
Generic "Patrol" vehicle. Security company name was in the shield, but too small to read from the road.

View attachment 70475

I think of all the poser cars decked out by guard companies, or guards POV's, the ones with cheap knock off lights and a TBL decal/plate are my favorite!

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
I saw this at the Philadelphia airport earlier today. The truck is owned by US Airways; I understand the amber light, but have no idea why the red and green. In any case, even though it's probably not technically a wacker, I thought it was unique with the thee lights.

IMG_20140310_162942884_HDR.jpg

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
Tristar said:
I saw this at the Philadelphia airport earlier today. The truck is owned by US Airways; I understand the amber light, but have no idea why the red and green. In any case, even though it's probably not technically a wacker, I thought it was unique with the thee lights.

Only one logical reason....

tumblr_m2rdlpyn3Y1r0ufaco1_400.jpg

Reactions: mpaine and John

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Could just be halogen steady burn, or even strobe.... like on all planes and boats, to show which is port and which is starboard.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
My thought is that the truck is used for traffic control for ground operations. Control towers have light guns that put out red and green lights to direct plane and vehicle traffic on the ground in the even of radio failure. I would bet that US Airways truck is set up to work with that. The amber is just the required light for FAA rules.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
I seem to be attracting weird cars lately... and at walmarts...

ill add the crown vic later but this late 2000 impala was parked near me last night in Manchester after I left a meeting.

not much to look at since it was dark out. so ill describe it. pitch black windows, dark blue in color, post mount spotlight, single antenna on the trunk and this licensce plate...

PEN.jpg

didn't know they made tags for tow cars?

Last edited by a moderator:

ClintonPSE

Mar 13, 2013
Clinton, IA
Jarred J. said:

ill add the crown vic later but this late 2000 impala was parked near me last night in Manchester after I left a meeting.

not much to look at since it was dark out. so ill describe it. pitch black windows. post mount spotlight, single antenna on the trunk and this licensce plate...

View attachment 71193

That's a drive-away tag. It's kinda like a dealer plate. It covers any vehicle its attached to. The vehicle may be in transit back to dealer from an auction or something...

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Jarred J. said:

not much to look at since it was dark out. so ill describe it. pitch black windows, dark blue in color, post mount spotlight, single antenna on the trunk and this licensce plate...

View attachment 71193

Only if they're driven by podiatrists.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
arent you confusing toe with tow in which tow is the wright wurd? :undecided:

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
HILO said:
Us here in Texas know that the blue and clear is illegal as well. Just as that car rolls, no matter if the lights are on or off. I've talked to many LEO's in Dallas, Ft. Worth, Grand Prairie, Arlington, and Dallas County Sheriff. While all agreed that red to the front was illegal, most thought that red emergency lights were ok towards the rear, almost all thought blue was legal for security guards, and none knew that clear was a prohibited color. In Dallas, if a DPD writes a security for equipment violations regarding colors, the city attorney usually dismisses the tickets. For some reason, in Texas, the majority of LE and courts either have no knowledge of the State law, or simply choose to ignore them. Houston/Harris County LE seem to cater to security guards and let them get away with major violations.

Sadly this seems to be the case in many states, and it adds to the thought that their vehicle is an Official Emergency Vehicle. In the olden days if a security officer had all the bells and whistles and didnt get caught it was all good... now LE is so busy most dont have the time to sit and eat, much less stop a security officer for a possible infraction unless the security officer is running code3 on a public road or pulling drivers over.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
CodeMan said:
Sadly this seems to be the case in many states, and it adds to the thought that their vehicle is an Official Emergency Vehicle. In the olden days if a security officer had all the bells and whistles and didnt get caught it was all good... now LE is so busy most dont have the time to sit and eat, much less stop a security officer for a possible infraction unless the security officer is running code3 on a public road or pulling drivers over.

That brings up something funny that happened many years, but not involving a security vehicle.

When I worked at AID Ambulance in Lubbock, one of our drivers came up with a blue Federal Vitalite. When we asked why he wanted or needed a blue light, he said that he did "roadside assistance" in his spare time just to earn a few extra bucks. Nothing seemed wrong with the idea, and since blue alone is not an emergency color in Texas, we thought nothing about it.

But a few days later I started hearing some traffic on one of the police channels about a guy in a blue Chevy with a blue light on top pulling people over. I reported this to our boss, who in turn, called the guy in. His story was that he pulled someone over because their gas cap was open and gas was being spilled out. The boss let him off on that. But over the next few weeks we started hearing other traffic about the blue car with the blue light. He was given a strict warning by the boss, and by one of our guys who was a local cop and worked on the ambulance in his off time. I guess the guy was stubborn. One night I heard an unmarked unit call in. He told dispatch that the guy with the blue light had just pulled him over. Blue light was confiscated and he was cited for "impersonating a police officer", although he claimed later that he didn't identify himself as such; but it cost him his job at AID Ambulance.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
Well don't think im picking on security, here's a couple of tow trucks.. lol

listens for the sound tones from "close encounters" nope. :popcorn:

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
I don't usually like to bust on firefighters, but this is just too whacked-out: 2002 Ford Explorer XLT (LOW MILES)

Off-brand lights, dangling cut wires, grill LEDs attached with... paper clips? Oh, and the combination of blue lights and siren is not legal for FD use in PA. Neither is the HLF.

But here's the kicker (read carefully):

Lights Alone Are Worth $1800

Asking $4,900 Or Best Offer

Asking $5,900 Or Best Offer Without Emergency Equipment

Freudian slip or brutal honesty? :D

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
CodeMan said:
Well don't think im picking on security, here's a couple of tow trucks.. lol

Interesting that those tow trucks had almost all amber lights. Tow trucks in Texas are allowed red and blue. But one wrecker service in Odessa is running purple Edge bars.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
MtnMan said:
I don't usually like to bust on firefighters, but this is just too whacked-out: 2002 Ford Explorer XLT (LOW MILES)

Off-brand lights, dangling cut wires, grill LEDs attached with... paper clips? Oh, and the combination of blue lights and siren is not legal for FD use in PA. Neither is the HLF.

But here's the kicker (read carefully):

Freudian slip or brutal honesty? :D

Check out the stealthy siren bracket...oh wait...I was wrong. There is no bracket holding the siren - it's just jammed between the driver's seat and the center console!

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Skip Goulet said:
Interesting that those tow trucks had almost all amber lights. Tow trucks in Texas are allowed red and blue. But one wrecker service in Odessa is running purple Edge bars.

Uh...no, tow truck are not allowed red/blue in Texas. Only emergency vehicles are allowed red/blue in Texas, and tow trucks are not considered emergency vehicles. All tow trucks, in Texas, are required to have an amber beacon though.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
HILO said:
Uh...no, tow truck are not allowed red/blue in Texas. Only emergency vehicles are allowed red/blue in Texas, and tow trucks are not considered emergency vehicles. All tow trucks, in Texas, are required to have an amber beacon though.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I just noticed at the bottom of your posts the comment "Sent by rotary phone". Most people under 25 or 30 probably have no idea what a rotary phone is.

J-Rock1944

Jun 26, 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
Tristar said:
I know this is a bit off topic, but I just noticed at the bottom of your posts the comment "Sent by rotary phone". Most people under 25 or 30 probably have no idea what a rotary phone is.

I'm 23 and know what they look like and how they function. That's mostly because my Grandparents like to keep old stuff like that.

MT22FD

Dec 17, 2011
Southern New Jersey
Tristar said:

I've noticed these cruising around the airport before. The only time I've witnessed one in use was at the gate. It takes the place of the guys guiding the planes in to the gate during thunder/lightning storms when it's unsafe to have boots on the ground. There's also some with arrows on the front to guide the pilots in.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
HILO said:

Actually, you are wrong there, H-L. Wreckers have always been considered emergency vehicles, and unless a local ordinance prohibits it, they can run red, blue and sirens....although I haven't seen a wrecker with a siren in years, except in a small town I visit often where the wrecker service owner was at the time the volunteer fire chief. In places where the FD doesn't have JAWS capabilities, wreckers are still used to get trapped people out. Granted that those are fortunately few and far between nowadays, there are some places still w/o JAWS.

Aside from the unusual purple bars I mention above, all wreckers around here run red/blue except for repo wreckers which can only run amber.

J-Rock1944

Jun 26, 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
That's weird. I spent the first 5 1/2 years of my life in El Paso and never once saw a wrecker rocking reds and blues. I did see EPPD-owned wreckers on occasion when we'd take my dad to his Station, but never Private ones.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
strobecrazy said:
MUTE THE SOUND, UNLESS YOU REALLY LOVE CRAPPY MUSIC.

You know what happens when you play country music backwards: you get your wife, dog, truck, house, back ... :dielaugh:

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Skip Goulet said:
Actually, you are wrong there, H-L. Wreckers have always been considered emergency vehicles, and unless a local ordinance prohibits it, they can run red, blue and sirens....although I haven't seen a wrecker with a siren in years, except in a small town I visit often where the wrecker service owner was at the time the volunteer fire chief. In places where the FD doesn't have JAWS capabilities, wreckers are still used to get trapped people out. Granted that those are fortunately few and far between nowadays, there are some places still w/o JAWS.

Aside from the unusual purple bars I mention above, all wreckers around here run red/blue except for repo wreckers which can only run amber.

Actually, you are wrong Skippy. Tow trucks are not, nor have been, considered emergency vehicles. Texas transportation code is very clear about what vehicles are emergency vehicles, and tow trucks are not on the list. And State law over rides municipal ordinance. Every tow truck that entered the City of Dallas Auto Pound gets checked out, and cited for violations of State code. There have been special arrangements with rural tow trucks who's drivers are VFF's, and carry extraction equipment. To recap, in the great State of Texas, tow trucks are prohibited from having red, blue, or clear flashing lights, as well as sirens. This does not include STT lights, and flood lights, in the lightbars.

Texas Transportation Code defining emergency vehicles.

§ 541.201. VEHICLES. In this subtitle:

(1) "Authorized emergency vehicle" means:

(A) a fire department or police vehicle;

( B) a public or private ambulance operated by a

person who has been issued a license by the Texas Department of

Health;

© a municipal department or public service

corporation emergency vehicle that has been designated or

authorized by the governing body of a municipality;

(D) a private vehicle of a volunteer firefighter

or a certified emergency medical services employee or volunteer

when responding to a fire alarm or medical emergency;

(E) an industrial emergency response vehicle,

including an industrial ambulance, when responding to an emergency,

but only if the vehicle is operated in compliance with criteria in

effect September 1, 1989, and established by the predecessor of the

Texas Industrial Emergency Services Board of the State Firemen's

and Fire Marshals' Association of Texas; or

(F) a vehicle of a blood bank or tissue bank,

accredited or approved under the laws of this state or the United

States, when making emergency deliveries of blood, drugs,

medicines, or organs.

Nope, no wreckers...

The wording in 547.305 is standard vagueness, with areas saying 'under the direction of a Peace Officer",

yet then ends by defining tow trucks as motor vehicles, not emergency vehicles.

This code was written when even amber lights were rare (1960's) and Texas regulated all flashing lights.

Still, no provisions in State code allowing wreckers ev lights or status. Tow truck operators have no expectations

of ROW, though are protected by the move over law.

I do understand your confusion. When I started in traffic control with DPD, in 1992, some of the old head accident investigators

would ask for a wrecker code 3 every once in a while. But they did not have r/b lights or siren, it was just the Officers way of

asking that the tow truck get there as quick as possible to clear the scene. And there are some cities that do allow their private wreckers

to have red, or blue, and some both, but it is rare, and still illegal. Just like how many cities and LEO's do not enforce the blue light laws

on security guard cars.

them

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
It is pretty clear that tow trucks are listed seperatly from emergency vehicles when mentioned in the laws referenced. I will say that there is clearly some confusion down in the lone start state about what colors are allowed where. On my recent Austin trip I saw all sorts of blue lights on things I couldn't even identify. I have seen numerous service type vehicles that are not tow trucks in Texas with blue lights, I assumed they fell under

"a municipal department or public service

corporation emergency vehicle that has been designated or

authorized by the governing body of a municipality;"

So what is a "public service corporation emergency vehicle...designated or authorized by the governing body of a municipality"? My understanding is this leaves room for governments to designate corporations that serve in place of or along side emergency services as emergency vehicles. I figured that would be like the red cross etc, but I'm sure people run with it. So that is one clear point of ambiguity.

Another debated portion of one of the referenced laws is the specific tow truck provision. Tow trucks are given some specific provisions under the direction of a law enforcement officer for use of lights while on a scene. The law does clearly describe tow trucks as a separate type of vehicle, which would indicate they are not included in the emergency vehicle category.

§ 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS. (a) A motor

vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp,

spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle or

school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity

brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of

the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a

distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.

(
B) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not

operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle,

with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from

directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.

© A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a

red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless

the equipment is:

(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter;

or

(2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp,

or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.

(d)
A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing

lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if

the vehicle is:

(1) a school bus;

(2) an authorized emergency vehicle;

(3) a church bus that has the words "church bus"

printed on the front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly

discernable to other vehicle operators;

(4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law

enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up

to a disabled vehicle on a roadway;
or

(5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn

signals and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections

547.322, 547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.

(e) A person may not operate highway maintenance or service

equipment, including snow-removal equipment, that is not equipped

with lamps or that does not display lighted lamps as required by the

standards and specifications adopted by the Texas Department of

Transportation.

(f) In this section "tow truck" means a motor vehicle or

mechanical device that is adapted or used to tow, winch, or move a

disabled vehicle.

All of that simply provides a few narrow windows of usage of colored lights. This doesn't even begin to speak to sirens. My take is that there are a few loopholes that could allow colored lights on tow vehicles under some circumstances, but they are not defined as emergency vehicles. The only way I can see for a tow vehicle to legally have a siren is for it not to be a tow truck. You would have to designate it as a private rescue vehicle operated by a "public service corporation".

Short answer: According to Texas Law, Tow trucks are not emergency vehicles and therefore cannot use sirens. There are a few specific cases where they can use lights.

Here is a video of a mystery vehicle with amber/blue I shot just north of Austin on the interstate.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
J-Rock1944 said:
That's weird. I spent the first 5 1/2 years of my life in El Paso and never once saw a wrecker rocking reds and blues. I did see EPPD-owned wreckers on occasion when we'd take my dad to his Station, but never Private ones.

Nothing weird about it. If you notice what I said above: if there's a local ordinance that forbids red and blue, or red alone, on wreckers, then you won't see them. If El Paso has such an ordinance, then you'll just see amber. Note: Lubbock for many years disallowed all but amber on wreckers, but then after their legal advisors found out that the state allows red and blue, wreckers there are now allowed to run those colors. Again as I said: this applies to duty wreckers, but not to private repo wreckers. They must run amber only. Why the guys in Odessa at that one wrecker service went to purple is beyond me. Purple is not restricted like in some areas where it is restricted for funeral service, but it sure looks weird on those wreckers. :yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.