Official "Whacker" or "Screwed Up Install" Thread

Is this the worst spotlight install you have ever seen?

• Yes

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 78.7%

• Total voters

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
JohnMarcson said:
It is pretty clear that tow trucks are listed seperatly from emergency vehicles when mentioned in the laws referenced. I will say that there is clearly some confusion down in the lone start state about what colors are allowed where. On my recent Austin trip I saw all sorts of blue lights on things I couldn't even identify. I have seen numerous service type vehicles that are not tow trucks in Texas with blue lights, I assumed they fell under

"a municipal department or public service

corporation emergency vehicle that has been designated or

authorized by the governing body of a municipality;"

So what is a "public service corporation emergency vehicle...designated or authorized by the governing body of a municipality"? My understanding is this leaves room for governments to designate corporations that serve in place of or along side emergency services as emergency vehicles. I figured that would be like the red cross etc, but I'm sure people run with it. So that is one clear point of ambiguity.

Another debated portion of one of the referenced laws is the specific tow truck provision. Tow trucks are given some specific provisions under the direction of a law enforcement officer for use of lights while on a scene. The law does clearly describe tow trucks as a separate type of vehicle, which would indicate they are not included in the emergency vehicle category.

§ 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS. (a) A motor

vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp,

spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle or

school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity

brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of

the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a

distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.

(
B) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not

operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle,

with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from

directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.

© A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a

red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless

the equipment is:

(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter;

or

(2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp,

or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.

(d)
A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing

lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if

the vehicle is:

(1) a school bus;

(2) an authorized emergency vehicle;

(3) a church bus that has the words "church bus"

printed on the front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly

discernable to other vehicle operators;

(4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law

enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up

to a disabled vehicle on a roadway;
or

(5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn

signals and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections

547.322, 547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.

(e) A person may not operate highway maintenance or service

equipment, including snow-removal equipment, that is not equipped

with lamps or that does not display lighted lamps as required by the

standards and specifications adopted by the Texas Department of

Transportation.

(f) In this section "tow truck" means a motor vehicle or

mechanical device that is adapted or used to tow, winch, or move a

disabled vehicle.

All of that simply provides a few narrow windows of usage of colored lights. This doesn't even begin to speak to sirens. My take is that there are a few loopholes that could allow colored lights on tow vehicles under some circumstances, but they are not defined as emergency vehicles. The only way I can see for a tow vehicle to legally have a siren is for it not to be a tow truck. You would have to designate it as a private rescue vehicle operated by a "public service corporation".

Short answer: According to Texas Law, Tow trucks are not emergency vehicles and therefore cannot use sirens. There are a few specific cases where they can use lights.

Here is a video of a mystery vehicle with amber/blue I shot just north of Austin on the interstate.

Interesting John. That "mystery" vehicle looks like many of the repo wreckers you see around. I've never seen a repo wrecker with anything but amber around here, but there may be exceptions. At worst, if wreckers aren't allowed red/blue, then a lot of cops aer simply looking the other way. But with this wrecker, I'd be very suspicious. He shouldn't be running with his lights on and on the interstate since he isn't towing. I could understand if he was called to an MVA and told to expedite, but he doesn't seem to be in any particular hurry!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Skip Goulet said:
Interesting John. That "mystery" vehicle looks like many of the repo wreckers you see around. I've never seen a repo wrecker with anything but amber around here, but there may be exceptions. At worst, if wreckers aren't allowed red/blue, then a lot of cops aer simply looking the other way. But with this wrecker, I'd be very suspicious. He shouldn't be running with his lights on and on the interstate since he isn't towing. I could understand if he was called to an MVA and told to expedite, but he doesn't seem to be in any particular hurry!

I'm pretty sure the guy in the video doesn't know his lights are on. It brings up the point of how many blue lights I saw on vehicles I simply couldn't identify at all. Most were functioning in what I would consider a "roadside" capacity of some sort, but all were poorly marked or unmarked.

He certainly doesn't meet the "under the direction of a law enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up to a disabled vehicle on a roadway" criteria of the law.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
JohnMarcson said:
I'm pretty sure the guy in the video doesn't know his lights are on. It brings up the point of how many blue lights I saw on vehicles I simply couldn't identify at all. Most were functioning in what I would consider a "roadside" capacity of some sort, but all were poorly marked or unmarked.

He certainly doesn't meet the "under the direction of a law enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up to a disabled vehicle on a roadway" criteria of the law.

I was just wondering if that was the case. Reminds me of my late friend Travis (Festus) Hagen who sold ambulances and hearses for the Gordon K. Allen Co. in Dallas. He had just taken a '67 Chevy BelAir wagon ambulance in trade from the horse track at Ruidoso, NM (I later bought the ambulance). It came with four Federal LL4 lollipops (2 on each side of the Q siren) and a 17 beacon behind the siren. He was driving the car back to Lubbock and kept noticing people pulling to the shoulder. He got out and looked to see if something was wrong with the wagon and happened to look up. The lollipops were all flashing. He said that if he could've crawled under the car....he would've. That was in '74 and we got the wagon for $400 and it turned out to be one of the nicest units we had gotten at the time. :yes:

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Skip Goulet said:
Why the guys in Odessa at that one wrecker service went to purple is beyond me. Purple is not restricted like in some areas where it is restricted for funeral service, but it sure looks weird on those wreckers. :yes:

Maybe they used purple lights when a car's battery died.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
I live an hour SW of Boston, and I'm constantly seeing private plows (pick up trucks), tow trucks, and pick up trucks owned by construction workers & construction companies with white or blue HAW strobes. Why isn't amber sufficient for their vehicles???

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
That truck that John caught does not have a lift, it is not a wrecker. In Texas, all tow trucks have to be marked, and have their company DOT number displayed, and are not allowed red, or blue. The truck in question looks like a construction vehicle, which are allowed amber/blue if they are working on highways, in accordance with Tx Dot regulations and Texas occupation code.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
HILO said:
That truck that John caught does not have a lift, it is not a wrecker. In Texas, all tow trucks have to be marked, and have their company DOT number displayed, and are not allowed red, or blue. The truck in question looks like a construction vehicle, which are allowed amber/blue if they are working on highways, in accordance with Tx Dot regulations and Texas occupation code.

I could've sworn I saw a winch on the back of that thing! It's interesting what you say about vehicle markings, etc., but most of the repo wreckers I see around here have no co. markings what-so-ever. Most of them aren't professional wrecker vehicles, but pickups that have been modified with small winches in the rear.

I went back and just now looked. You're right.....no winch on that truck. I would agree, probably a paving or construction vehicle.

Aug 20, 2010
Texas USA
I have seen them. They were not emergency responders in any sense of the term.

Back in the 70's, it was not uncommon for wreckers (or even service trucks, both private and municipal) to run red lights. My dad drove a City Of Houston Public Works truck that had a red Federal Beacon Ray Junior on the roof (I got spanked for playing with it and running his battery down). Wreckers, too, often ran reds...often Federal Visibars and Twinsonics. Many also had sirens. Legal or not, it was done. I have seen them used, too. Security cars were the same and often ran reds and sirens when going to alarm calls. The state started clamping down on it, I guess, and they disappeared from the roads around the late 70's.

Currently, Wreckers licensed by the City of Houston for the "Safe Clear" program on freeways run red and amber lights. No sirens, but I have seen them running reds going to accident scenes and they ARE NOT first responders.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
TheLightFromMars said:
I have seen them. They were not emergency responders in any sense of the term.
Back in the 70's, it was not uncommon for wreckers (or even service trucks, both private and municipal) to run red lights. My dad drove a City Of Houston Public Works truck that had a red Federal Beacon Ray Junior on the roof (I got spanked for playing with it and running his battery down). Wreckers, too, often ran reds...often Federal Visibars and Twinsonics. Many also had sirens. Legal or not, it was done. I have seen them used, too. Security cars were the same and often ran reds and sirens when going to alarm calls. The state started clamping down on it, I guess, and they disappeared from the roads around the late 70's.

Currently, Wreckers licensed by the City of Houston for the "Safe Clear" program on freeways run red and amber lights. No sirens, but I have seen them running reds going to accident scenes and they ARE NOT first responders.

Sometimes I think that law is what the people who enforce them seem to think they are, and not necessarily what the law actually states. You're right about what's gone on here in Texas for many years. As I think I've noted before, my dad drove a wrecker for a guy who was an ex-cop. The guy put an old Sterling 30 sirenlite on the fender of the wrecker, and he used it with no problem.

I've noted on a couple of other threads dealing with colors that a friend of mine who is now the retired fire chief from Hawley, TX had problems with DPS troopers in his area who were stopping his firemen on emergency runs because they had blue lights in their light bars or dash lights, etc. He called DPS Austin's public information office. They sent him a letter stating that blue is not restricted in Texas and that his men could run blue as long as it was in conjunction with the required reds. I guess it lends a lot to interpretation.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Skip Goulet said:
Sometimes I think that law is what the people who enforce them seem to think they are, and not necessarily what the law actually states. You're right about what's gone on here in Texas for many years. As I think I've noted before, my dad drove a wrecker for a guy who was an ex-cop. The guy put an old Sterling 30 sirenlite on the fender of the wrecker, and he used it with no problem.

I've noted on a couple of other threads dealing with colors that a friend of mine who is now the retired fire chief from Hawley, TX had problems with DPS troopers in his area who were stopping his firemen on emergency runs because they had blue lights in their light bars or dash lights, etc. He called DPS Austin's public information office. They sent him a letter stating that blue is not restricted in Texas and that his men could run blue as long as it was in conjunction with the required reds. I guess it lends a lot to interpretation.

I agree with you in that different LEO's have different understandings of the transportation code. However, I can not figure out why. The Trans. code clearly spells out what is ruled an EV in Texas, as well as what colors are prohibited except for EV's. One would have to go back to the 80's for the red and air horn only State rule for VFF's. In the early 90's (or maybe late 80's) the law was changed to allow VFF's all 3 EV colors, and full sirens, as well as classifying their POV's as EV's when used to respond to calls.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
JohnMarcson said:
Here is a video of a mystery vehicle with amber/blue I shot just north of Austin on the interstate.

It is likely a maintenance vehicle for semi trucks as it seems to be following the one in front of it. However, regardless of either the blue lights should not be on. Construction vehicles are allowed blue/amber only inside the work zone that is designated by TxDOT. That work zone may extend outside the actual work area for warning signs and such, but those blue lights should never be on outside that work zone.

Texas is clear on what is a EV and what colours are allowed. One towing company in my area with a police contract does use red lights on their small wreckers for auto accidents. The owner even has a service pickup truck setup like a vol FF with red lightbar. The cops do not do anything because they allow it, but technically it is illegal. However when under the direction of law enforcement, it is considered legal as how the law reads.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
HILO said:
I agree with you in that different LEO's have different understandings of the transportation code. However, I can not figure out why. The Trans. code clearly spells out what is ruled an EV in Texas, as well as what colors are prohibited except for EV's. One would have to go back to the 80's for the red and air horn only State rule for VFF's. In the early 90's (or maybe late 80's) the law was changed to allow VFF's all 3 EV colors, and full sirens, as well as classifying their POV's as EV's when used to respond to calls.

Now that's something interesting. I've never heard about the "air horn" only rule in Texas, and I was an active volunteer FF/EMT in Lubbock from the '70s until '91 when I left there. We were always allowed lights and sirens. A buddy on another dept. only ran a single red "Kojak" light on his POV, and I kept telling him that he'd get slammed if he didn't get a siren. Sure enough he got piled up and got cited for running lights only with no siren. This was c.1985.

Something interesting. My dad was a county commissioner in Midland Co. for many years, and oversaw Emergency Mgt. The E.M. director is also the county fire marshal, and he oversees the county vfds. For a number of years he permitted lights only on povs, until I mentioned something to my dad and not longer after, vollie povs started having sirens.

jhallgren22

Sep 8, 2013
Norton, MA
Tristar said:
I live an hour SW of Boston, and I'm constantly seeing private plows (pick up trucks), tow trucks, and pick up trucks owned by construction workers & construction companies with white or blue HAW strobes. Why isn't amber sufficient for their vehicles???

Being in that industry I can agree with what you are saying, although I haven't seen blue yet, I have seen a lot of clear, and I have seen a red lens on a light bar. Also, I heard something about there being a new amber light permit (free) for the state?

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Station 3 said:

Was that a pistol on the hip at the 2:59 mark? Gonna shoot the hail? Who brings a gun to a tornado fight? I bet that is the wacker who drives the CVPI.

There is no reason for a storm chaser to have a CVPI aside from wanting to look like a cop, and that is not a reason.

There is red on some of those vehicles!

Yes, make sure you turn on your 4 way hazard lights.

:hahano:

The Hyundai and the 3rd gen Taurus wagon are the best. Seriously.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
HILO said:
Was that a pistol on the hip at the 2:59 mark? Gonna shoot the hail? Who brings a gun to a tornado fight? I bet that is the wacker who drives the CVPI.

There is no reason for a storm chaser to have a CVPI aside from wanting to look like a cop, and that is not a reason.

I'd bet that the reds belong to a volunteer ff, since they're known to do a lot of storm spotting. You need to be up on the South Plains or in the Panhandle during 'nader season. The vollies come out of the woodwork to help spot. When the big tornado hit on May 11, 1970 in Lubbock we had several of our REACT team out storm watching. One of the volunteers who was experienced in storm-chasing told the city's EOC operator that it looked like a tornado could develop easily from the system, and the guy just laughed at him, saying that Lubbock just couldn't possibly get hit. Ohhhh, was he ever wrong! It hit about 9 PM on a Monday evening, and we worked until Thursday morning, when it was determined anyone who could be accounted for had been. Lubbock was lucky! With a population of just more than 150,000 at the time, there were "only" 26 fatalities. Since the initial touch-down had been in Downtown Lubbock, and at that time of night, there were fewer casualties. If that thing had touched down during the day......whoooooa!

I didn't get to watch that video all the way through when I first posted, but just watched it. H-L, I think you're right...that appeared to be a pistol on the guy's hip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
jhallgren22 said:
Being in that industry I can agree with what you are saying, although I haven't seen blue yet, I have seen a lot of clear, and I have seen a red lens on a light bar. Also, I heard something about there being a new amber light permit (free) for the state?

A free permit here in MA? When I moved here almost 6 years ago, I was shocked to find out that I needed to get a permit to carry pepper spray. Of course, I was asked to donate $25 to the state when I applied.

Camerin

Sep 17, 2010
FL-NH-AK
I saw this gem in the mall parking lot today. I had to do a double take and turn around to take a look and subsequently took a few photos to share.

image.jpg

image.jpg

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
Camerin said:
I saw this gem in the mall parking lot today. I had to do a double take and turn around to take a look and subsequently took a few photos to share.

Hmm the new Sheriff LOBO vehicle w/o markings? :undecided:

lobo.jpg

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
Sadly the use of the word "China" has the cheap sound to it, even if the product is put together (Insert the word "Manufactured") in the usa, but the parts are made in china.. read it and weep, all lighting manufacturers get their stuff from taiwan, china, etc. but still is manufactured in the usa under the well know American names. Like Whelen, FedSig, Code3, etc. So are you really buying American? :undecided: ;)

FYI: The truth about Whelen

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/code-3-solex-anyone-else-seen-58846/index2.html

P.S. the rear and front are too busy, more lighting doesn't always mean safer..

I :dielaugh: :dielaugh: every time I hear "it's a China light, so it's automatically JUNK". When in reality your already using a China light.... :popcorn:

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
CodeMan said:
Sadly the use of the word "China" has the cheap sound to it, even if the product is put together (Insert the word "Manufactured") in the usa, but the parts are made in china.. read it and weep, all lighting manufacturers get their stuff from taiwan, china, etc. but still is manufactured in the usa under the well know American names. Like Whelen, FedSig, Code3, etc. So are you really buying American? :undecided: ;)

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/code-3-solex-anyone-else-seen-58846/index2.html

I :dielaugh: :dielaugh: every time I hear "it's a China light, so it's automatically JUNK". When in reality your already using a China light.... :popcorn:

I'm old enough to remember (I'm sure Skip remembers, too) when cars made in Japan were thought of as low quality...and now look at them!

Pfire472

Apr 18, 2014
South Georgia
CodeMan said:

Its meant in the terms as a very cheaply made, inexpensive lights...we all know that parts and pieces come from overseas, but the big American companies put more time and quality than those that are from "China"

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
HILO said:

Wisconsin is an open carry state and recently also allowed concealed carry. So it is either a scanner or a gun, I would hope a scanner on his hip. But if it is a gun, no laws are being violated unless they restrict them in a public park and if a national park, I think that is illegal to have one at all on federal property.

Wisconsin allows red & white and siren for Vol FF/EMT. When I lived up there I saw some really crazy setups. However, there is no restriction in Wisconsin on red alone as the tow truck I drove had all red lightbar with amber flashers.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
Pfire472 said:
Its meant in the terms as a very cheaply made, inexpensive lights...we all know that parts and pieces come from overseas, but the big American companies put more time and quality than those that are from "China"

I have to disagree, We are not talking about little pieces and parts, all the GUTs. the light heads, circuit boards, reflectors, LEDs, are the same build and quality, their MADE in CHINA. Not to mention all LED lights inner guts are from china. Heck even the siren/siren boards are made in china, by Chinese folks. By us laws 50% of a product made in America the other 50% can contain that Chinese junk and still have the American Made Sticker attached to it.. :rolleyes:

So lets look at some facts; 1. China gets the order from the American Company 2. makes the inner 50% of the product cheaper and/or stamps it with the American product name 3. ships the Chinese product to the USA to the American company where its installed into the American made casing by Americans that's the other 50% of the build 5. the American Made sticker is then applied 6. is then sold at a American jacked up price, because its a Quality Product 7. the American public buys the American Made Product and claims they would never buy that Chinese Junk. :undecided:

And yes Imported vehicles tend to run circles around the Big 3 auto makers, in reliability, technology, looks & longevity. Hate to say it but the US auto makers are now making their cars to resemble those imports.. :(

BUT I digress, and in hopes of not hijacking this good thread. This topic is on a different thread.

http://elightbars.org/forums/f23/made-america-what-does-mean-exactly-63221/

Back to Whackers Are Us. ;)

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
Like the Title says.....

Good examples to why limits should be set on number of lights on a POV. :haha:

I hope everyone has a Happy Easter ! :) :thumbsup: :)

Firetrux

Mar 1, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
One thing most of these videos seem to have in common is:

1) Too many lights

2) Very poorly shot

3) An odd, ever-present, rapid breathing pattern...

Are they drooling and foaming too?

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Firetrux said:

1) Too many lights

2) Very poorly shot

:thumbsup:

It's all the exertion from walking around the vehicle and having to hold the phone at the same time, plus all the oxygen those lights consume in the immediate vicinity...

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
Firetrux said:

1) Too many lights

2) Very poorly shot

Well everyone knows Blinkies give off a Romantic glow, perfect for the Special occasion.... :dielaugh: :dielaugh:

Ok so you cant afford that cool car or truck you've been saving for... BUT you have a scooter or moped !! but what to do when your pager goes off? TADA!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pavrd4ohm4

AKA: The Moped Kid :haha:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Tristar said:
I'm old enough to remember (I'm sure Skip remembers, too) when cars made in Japan were thought of as low quality...and now look at them!

You're right about that, Matthew! When I first got into C.B.s and scanners, if I saw "made in Japan" I'd stay clear of it. Then I soon learned that almost everything electronic was foreign-made. Now some of the best scanners, etc., are foreign made and no one thinks anything about it. And I wouldn't take for my little Nissan Sentra!

jws926

Dec 28, 2011
USA/ AZ
The videos on this page alone make me almost ashamed of being a whacker :bonk:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.