OMG.. LOOK at my take home ride.. HELP! haha

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Ok so after working as a part time deputy for almost a year in a small county i live in when i am not at work at the fire dept. I am not fussing about this car because i am very lucky as a part time guy to get a take home car in such a small county with very limited funding.

The pictures will explain it all BUT I am hung up between making this a slick top or putting a lightbar on it.

Equipment on unit now:

basic 8 strobe lightbar with TD's and Alleys

Strobe pack but no HAW's.

Thats it :lol:

Equipment I have to use:

All Blue Sound Off interior pinnacle with LED takedowns (front top)

All Blue Sound Off rear deck pinnacle (rear deck lower)

All amber with Blue ends Sound Off 12 head Ultra-Lite (rear deck upper as traffic director)

2 white and 2 blue Sound Off Universal LED HAW's (whites in front corner, blues in reverse)

Needs:

mirror lights

a push bar

lights for pushbar front and sides

something for my side rear windows

Console

Siren/Light Controller (like a Sound Off 380 series dual tone)

and i am broke.. :roll:

this car has hit 2 deer and alot of paint is chipping off, it needs some TLC. Any Suggestions on what to do?

[Broken External Image]:http://gi151.photobucket.com/groups/s160/NXOG2YHVX8/DSCN0777-1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://gi151.photobucket.com/groups/s160/NXOG2YHVX8/DSCN0778-1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://gi151.photobucket.com/groups/s160/NXOG2YHVX8/DSCN0781-1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://gi151.photobucket.com/groups/s160/NXOG2YHVX8/DSCN0788-2.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://gi151.photobucket.com/groups/s160/NXOG2YHVX8/DSCN0793-1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://gi151.photobucket.com/groups/s160/NXOG2YHVX8/DSCN0790-1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://gi151.photobucket.com/groups/s160/NXOG2YHVX8/DSCN0808-1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://gi151.photobucket.com/groups/s160/NXOG2YHVX8/DSCN0798-1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://gi151.photobucket.com/groups/s160/NXOG2YHVX8/DSCN0801-1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://gi151.photobucket.com/groups/s160/NXOG2YHVX8/DSCN0785-1.jpg

MEMS-LT

May 20, 2010
NNJ
The edges are nice bars, theres no sense in taking it off.. I say just add to what is in it. Of course, replace the strobes (or lack there of) w/ the LAWs. You already have the LED equipment, just put it in. If it were my car, id also replace the chrome grill w/ a black honeycomb one.

MATT3045

May 23, 2010
Akron Ohio area
I think it is Jacksonville FL, they have each deputies name on the car. Dave-o, that is where you are right?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Here's how i look at it,

option 1) if you do trade or sell the interior pinnacle and get a 48" exterior pinnacle lightbar, that will be pretty solid warning, add a pair of grill lights, a HLF, and a TLF. the exterior pinnacle lightbar can have a T/A in it. i prefer lightbars on top (as opposed to slicktop), b/c it gets pretty expensive, IMHO, to have comparable 360 warning on a slicktop without dropping tons of $$$. obviously, this option doesn't leave u with a lot of $ to spend for the other goodies u need (unless u do some save up some $ or win the lotto :lol: )

option 2) keep the edge, the ultralite T/A, 2 white SOS LED HAW's (in front corner). if you sell your interior pinnacle front and rear deck light bar (assuming new/like new quality), that will provide solid (approx) $1300+ to apply towards the other goodies u want. also, selling the 2 blue LAWs will help give u some $ for grill/push bumper lights and can be replaced by an inexpensive TLF:

--- mirror lights (i.e. ghosts or mirror beams). $160-200

--- a setina or go-rhino pushbumper $200+

--- SOS 380 siren. just under $300

--- HLF/TLF

--- Jotto or Havis vehicle-specific console $250-600

--- FS AS 124 speaker on the pushbar $100

--- 500 series or impaxx on the pushbumper and rear windows $55-70/each

regardless, u can def add a HLF and a TLF for very inexpensive, basic/simple lighting for the time being

Alex said:
I would assume that is the name of the current sheriff and not of the deputy driving the car.
+1 that's what i figured

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
more photos added...

anyone have any extra stuff laying around let me know, like a black honeycomb grille or anything..I would like to fix it up halfway nice. Im the only car left in the fleet with that blue edge bar.

O and my spotlight doesnt work :roll:

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
Hey compared to my 2004 Impala take home, that thing looks like a gem!...At least you have a console!

cutiger

Jun 11, 2010
SC
Deputy you have been given a glorified piece of sh**.

My two cents

1. Take the edge off. I like edges it just that it doesn't work on that car and its broke.

2. A black honeycomb is a good idea.

3. Hlf/Tlf

4. Get a wrap around pushbumper to help prevent more deer damage.

5. Impaxxs on the push bumper facing forward and sides.

6. Since you are kinda low on $ you could buy a led bar from some one here or another used bar. IMO I would get one here though b/c that would be more reliable.

7. Same thing with the spot light.

8. If you don't get a light bar get some more intersection lighting.

9. Get some sort of amber directional for the rear.

10. The siren you have now will work till you can upgrade that but I would wait and install that and the console at the same time. You really don't need a lot of lights your'e in a small county you mainly need the forward lights. My top priority would be to get functional equipment into the vehicle. Like I said just me 2 cents.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
Do you have current spec body armor?

Scavenge lenses and tubes for the current bar if you need them. Replace or buff the headlight lenses, you need them more than blinkers, likewise for the spotlight. Clay and buff the paint and touch up the markings if needed, that's what the public sees.

There gets to be a point where it doesn't make sense to put a whole lot into a car. I understand that it's "yours" and you want it a certain way, but don't go nuts. Before you put much of anything into it, make sure that it isn't going to get called back into the normal fleet. It's happened where guys have put a lot of effort into sprucing up their issued cars, and somebody in the agency with more seniority or pull with the management will decide that it's now theirs.

I'm now working for my fourth Sheriff, and it really irks me to think of the wasted money that goes into plastering their names on the cars. When I get elected, which will be sometime after the Rapture but before Hell freezes over, the Star will have the county name, and each Deputy will have a magnetic placard with their name for the driver's door. If I'm in a really good mood, they can add their Top Gun name, like Maverick, Icepick, or Scooter.

I'm assuming that the fire extinguisher, first aid kit, tow rope, halligan tool, crime scene stuff and all the other crap that's normally in the trunk were removed for photo purposes ;)

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Stendec said:
I'm assuming that the fire extinguisher, first aid kit, tow rope, halligan tool, crime scene stuff and all the other crap that's normally in the trunk were removed for photo purposes ;)

haha thats really how the trunk looks.. it will soon have all those goodies im sure and some bunker gear! :twisted:

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
this is a forum about lights and all but i would worry about personal protective equipment before the lights,if you dont already have a vest that was issued get that first then other needed equipment then worry about lights last,in a rural area what you have for now will work for the time being

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Tlandreth22 said:
Now if funding is limited, why would he have SOS Pinnacle interior bars, front and back, and a SOS Ultra-Lite? And besides, if he sold the Pinnacles and kept the Edge, he would have enough for some Ghosts and the interior equipment.
he sells SOS equipment, so I assume he got a darn good deal on the stuff. :p

Stendec

May 21, 2010
RJ* said:
What he means is put money into that first. Then worry about the lighting on the car.

That, and that newer armor is coming on the market that meets the new NIJ standards. I'm not sure that it's "better" cause I haven't really studied it, but body armor should ideally be replaced every 5 years or so. There is some indication that it may loose some of its protective capacity bu then, there's other than indicates that it won't, but after 5 years, particularly in a slimy, hot humid climate, it's a good idea to retire it, if for no other reason than to take advantage of newer advances in the technology.

NIJ .06 Standards:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/pubs-sum/223054.htm

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
fireman616wfd said:
more photos added...

anyone have any extra stuff laying around let me know, like a black honeycomb grille or anything..I would like to fix it up halfway nice. Im the only car left in the fleet with that blue edge bar.

O and my spotlight doesnt work :roll:

First off bust out some simple green and armor all and deal with that interior! :eek:

Secondly, why not add some Pimp Pods to the Edge and make it a hybrid?

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
Stendec said:
That, and that newer armor is coming on the market that meets the new NIJ standards. I'm not sure that it's "better" cause I haven't really studied it, but body armor should ideally be replaced every 5 years or so. There is some indication that it may loose some of its protective capacity bu then, there's other than indicates that it won't, but after 5 years, particularly in a slimy, hot humid climate, it's a good idea to retire it, if for no other reason than to take advantage of newer advances in the technology.

We replace our vests every 5 years (for patrol officers who wear them all the time), or 7 years (detectives) - the department pays for that. And I wouldn't describe our climate as slimy, hot or humid.

As for the car, I say keep the Edge. Fix the strobes, add some LED modules to it. You'll want to keep the takedowns and alley lights, so I wouldn't go slicktop. I'd add clear work lights to the rear as well.

Tri-State PSE

May 21, 2010
Middletown, Ohio
From the looks of the head lights, ...You need some New ones!

I don't know how you can see to drive at night with those things??!!

That would be the first thing i would fix, since it's Primary lighting...and EASY too!

Also, are you allowed to run Red/Blue, or only Blue?

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Fix the car first, keep the edge, add wig wags, strobes, change out the grill (maybe add a pb) and call it a day. I love an all strobe edge, esp in blue.

EMT

May 22, 2010
NYC, NY
fireman616wfd said:
Yes that is the Current Sheriffs name... not mine! :p
Some counties out here do each sergeant's name in cursive script under their drivers-side window on county units.... I think it's incredibly cheesy and "wanna-be" fighter jet-esque. Only complaint I have about the county cars out here though.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
ok gosh i have alot to answer because i have been away a day patroling so i will try to remember everything to answer. haha

#1. I do have a bullet proof vest.

#2. The Edge is not staying, thats not an option right now. I am the only car in the fleet with an edge left. Most are slicktops because our Sheriff LOVES a slicktop. It has only 6 working tubes and to be honest the takedowns arent worth a shit on this bar because i can hardly tell when i turn them on.

#3. Yes funding is limited, I sell for Sound Off Signal so my buddy was really nice to me but he can only be SO nice and im VERY thankful for him!

#4. YES, that inside will be very well cleaned up! I am just waiting to get all my lighting stuff together before getting too into detail on the inside of the car.

#5. The headlights ARE terrible, BUT I had a very nice person send me a pair that i am very grateful for.

#6. This car WILL BE a slicktop now, that has been confirmed.

#7. Does anyone have a honeycomb grille they would like to part with and help me out? or even some type of decent console? this thing has been cut, pryed, and squezzed 10 different ways to make different equipment fit over time.

Any help with this car would be greatly appreciated with equipment:

console

switchbox

black honeycomb grille

I HATE a PA-300 so im tossing it also... I really want that dual tone 380 from Sound Off.

I think I covered most of what has been discussed so far.. haha

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
also just a quick rundown of what we do...

ALOT of safety checkpoints

we have a busy 4 lane highway that runs from state line to state line we work alot for narcotics

have alot of busy 2 lane highways with no shoulder on the side of the road so lighting is important to me..

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
fireman616wfd said:
also just a quick rundown of what we do...

ALOT of safety checkpoints

we have a busy 4 lane highway that runs from state line to state line we work alot for narcotics

have alot of busy 2 lane highways with no shoulder on the side of the road so lighting is important to me..

I would say all the more reason not to go slicktop...

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
RJ* said:
I would say all the more reason not to go slicktop...

+1. The more time I have on the road, the less I like slick tops. They are neat, but impractical in a town, IMO. I have seen several that are very well done, but I think a light bar is always better.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I think he said the Sheriff likes slicktops so hes not putting on a lightbar. I have seen slicktops with enough lights to be very visible like the NJ State Police and PIP PD.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
yea Most of our cars in the fleet are slicktops besides mine and 2 others (they have LED bars) I will have enough lighting in the rear to account for not having a bar.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.