Renewing work on my Super Twin BeaconRay

After the wettest spring in recent history (20" in May for OK--I think TX got more!), we finally got all our crops planted and sprayed--should've been done a month ago! Situated a portable a/c next to my workbench and decided to get into the Model 11-O (for Oscillating) Super Twin BeaconRay.

I could not get the slave unit to oscillate the full 95* (not even 90*) because the motor was kaput (tried tightening the chain to no avail). So bit the bullet and decided to remove the drive unit AND CHAIN (aaaagh [emoji33]) to replace the motor with a healthy one. In the process, I thought I would share my progress and show all my fellow eLBers HOW YOU TOO CAN MAKE YOUR VERY OWN OSCILLATING 144!!

First, the standard 14 internals:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438381770.124968.jpg

Unscrew the motor from the mount bracket and remove the bulb holders and shaft--you only need the bracket and motor.

I used a worn out 174 for gears, bulb holder/shaft and bearings (a 174/176 bulb holder/shaft only is needed for the slave unit). I completely disassembled the 174 and discovered many of the parts fit into the 14 frame. In addition, the 174 drive gear was the same diameter as the 14 gear--good to know as you'll see later. I inserted the bulb holder/shaft and connected the oscillating arm to the shaft using the original screw marks on the shaft for alignment. The gear shaft for the oscillating gear was cut from a long 1/4" bolt and tapped for one of the original motor screws--it screwed into one of the original motor mount holes. Plastic tubing worked very well as spacers.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438382825.235667.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438382941.772365.jpg

I made a template of the shaft hole to the front motor mount and drilled a new hole using the original front motor mount hole as the shaft hole on the template. One screw is enough to secure the motor.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438383378.972577.jpg

For the synchro gear, I used a long 1/4" bolt and drilled a pin to secure the gear, then tapped the shaft for the bolt. With the bolt shoulder length, it was enough to snug down on the shaft without interfering with the light tub.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438383554.454652.jpg

Test run is smooth, strong and quiet...and, unfortunately I can't share a video on my iPad. I will try to upload a video this weekend.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438444344.777743.jpg

Next steps: reinstall the drive unit and connect the chain. I fabricated a tool similar to the one we made when repairing Louisville P.D. lights (you wouldn't believe how many tree branches they caught!). Closeup pics will be included. If the slave unit still won't oscillate the 95*, plan B will be to use a rigid connection between the units--I have a piece of U-Chanel aluminum rod standing by.

Last edited by a moderator:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Glad to see this project is moving again!  Looking forward to more pics and some video.

Had some time this afternoon and decided to begin reassembly. In prepping the parts and pieces, I decided to take a look at the slave unit to make sure all was good...it wasn't. I used a 176 bulb assembly that does not have the brush contact like the 174's so I had to run a power wire from the bulbs to the power pole. It's ok though as the unit only oscillates. The good news is that the 176 utilizes a set screw which allows me to adjust the alignment after the chain is connected.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438642509.177654.jpg

I discovered that the set screw was loose and possibly contributing to the lack of full oscillation! Now for the FUN part--connecting the chain.

First, I recreated a simple tool I developed in the late 60's/early 70's. I was working at a local gas station that was also the local FedSig dealer/installer. I got to work on a lot of Qs and 174s and one day Louisville PD brought in a mangled Mod 11--caught a tree branch on the passenger side and nearly ripped the tub off the bar. They thought it was trash, but my boss said he'd fix it. The problem, as many of you know, is slipping the chain over the sprocket, and after some trial and error, I came up with this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438643177.947686.jpg

A piece of 1/2" pvc pipe cut in half (actually less as it would not fit into the bar with the chain on) with a coat hanger wire attached for pulling. The trick is to get the chain on the tool, mount the light and get the chain on the sprocket.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438643412.683684.jpg

Good light helps and my trusty led work light taped to the underside of the bar was great. (Now if I could just get my glasses in the right focal length--darned bifocals.)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438643557.250809.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438643572.471062.jpg

Now, while pulling with one hand, I pulled the chain just past the sprocket. The pvc is slightly wider than the sprocket and I filed a portion of the pvc away to create a shoulder to prevent the chain from slipping down. Whilst placing the tongue in the proper position and securing with the teeth...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438643745.610973.jpg

(Ye gads, the stash need a trim), I used a screwdriver to coax the chain onto the sprocket.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438643970.867545.jpg

I know this will tick a lot of you off, but not only did I get it on the first try, but it took less than 2 minutes....just sayin'. (I have done it a few times before)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438644068.426251.jpg

If you get it partially on the sprocket, try twisting the beacon assembly to get the chain fully in place.

Next...did it work? I have to take a break and will get after it soon.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438643480.779934.jpg

OK, couldn't wait...I made a special end cap label for my one-off modification:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438651497.676025.jpg

Aligned and tighten the set screw of the slave unit and applied power...the slave unit is still "lazy", but I think it's pretty close....

VIDEO!

http://youtu.be/cTtvzSeJR8M

I don't know...I think it was John Marcson who suggested two 144-Os with motors and use the chain as synchronizer...might be the answer.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
OK, couldn't wait...I made a special end cap label for my one-off modification:

Aligned and tighten the set screw of the slave unit and applied power...the slave unit is still "lazy", but I think it's pretty close....

I don't know...I think it was John Marcson who suggested two 144-Os with motors and use the chain as synchronizer...might be the answer.
That endcap is perfect. It looks like something Federal would have produced by the thousands. And yeah, the two motors might speed it up while still keeping it nice and sync'd.

Reactions: tsquale

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I'd like to see a longer video and with the oscillating beacons, you could use a clear bulb as a traffic clearing light.  It's an interesting set up, my guess is that Federal never developed such a factory option as the introduction of the TwinSonic spelled the end of the individual beacon lightbars.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
I'm surprised given the footprint of these rotator assemblies that FS never put them in the Twinsonic. Someone must try it.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I'm surprised given the footprint of these rotator assemblies that FS never put them in the Twinsonic. Someone must try it.
Someone here was planning on such a project, but I don't think it was ever completed.  As for FS not doing it, I expect the number of flashes produced by four 60 watt sealed beam bulbs was considered quite sufficient.  I do think that four bulbs per side might result in a flashy, blurry mess... a sealed beam split fail.

Amazingly simple. Measured the label size. Used PowerPoint template for Avery's Weatherproof shipping label. Created the label box size one the label. Copied some FedSig art from the web and used Word Art for text boxes. Filled with not-quite-black and silver for color. Ran it through the laser printer and cut out with scissors. Easy-Peasy.

Oh, I used to be a computer consultant and am quite proficient in many apps on multiple platforms--If you need help, I'm available.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
It looks great, I really didn't think it was printed. I actually design and draw computer graphics as a hobby. I have been looking at recreating some labels. They make a foil paper that I have been looking at. I made a label for my Peterson 757 on the computer but even on high pix paper it still looks like paper. I think I'm going try the foil to look more like a metal tag. They also make a clear film you can print on. That would glue to a metal tag and look pretty realistic.

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.