SirenO, The Original Vehicle Siren

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I just picked up this Sireno No. 5, known as the SirenO. The Sireno company was started in 1908 by John Gordon, Jr. and Charles H. Conner. Their patents of Feb. 4, 1908 and July 28, 1908 created the SirenO siren. It is small, with a chopper of just 3-7/8" in diameter. Including the projector it is 12" long.

As it arrived. The chopper would not spin.

s-l1600.jpg

Disassembly for cleaning

DSC_0983 (Small).jpeg DSC_0984 (Small).jpeg DSC_0985 (Small).jpeg DSC_0986 (Small).jpeg DSC_0987 (Small).jpeg DSC_0988 (Small).jpeg DSC_0989 (Small).jpeg

Cleaned parts

DSC_0990 (Small).jpeg DSC_0991 (Small).jpeg DSC_0992 (Small).jpeg DSC_0993 (Small).jpeg DSC_0994 (Small).jpeg DSC_1003 (Small).jpeg

Reassembly

DSC_0996 (Small).jpeg DSC_0997 (Small).jpeg DSC_0998 (Small).jpeg DSC_0999 (Small).jpeg DSC_1001 (Small).jpeg

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Sì, video!

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Is it 6 or 12 volt ??

It is 6v, from the serial number I'm estimating it was made between 1920 - 1925

Great job. Did you polish all the metal? What did you use? Does it work now? Video??

This was originally all nickel plated brass. I used a brass brush in my drill press to polish up the siren housing. The nickel was already flaking and coming off. Used the same brush on the chopper and the rear cover. The cone I dipped in PH down acid for about 3 hours and it cleaned up real nice. It does work! I will try and get a video before today is over. Being able to clean the motor and lubes, it spins great.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Video as promised. I am awaiting my 12v stepdown to 6v, so I am using 12 volts to test it. It runs good but spins faster than it should. will do a full video when I get the display set up and working.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The horn shaped thing is the air intake. All the sound comes out of the chopper.

RE: the bearing, check your area for bearing suppliers (even in Fort Smith, AR we have a company that can find almost any bearing or bearing parts you might need). If it was originally nickel plate, you should consider the same—a good shop can recreate that for you. It’s much “warmer” than chrome plate, but require a bit more polish maintenance. Well worth it IMHO. Great addition to the collection!

Reactions: Skulldigger

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.