Strobes N More Surface Star

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
standby Jim... you will be pleasantly surprised with something....

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
We will have green available on the second round which will be end of February. I also can switch over the our brake light flasher but they you will lose the synch but you would be able to put the light in steady burn mode and back to the flashing mode easily. What do you think?

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
Strobesnmore said:
We will have green available on the second round which will be end of February. I also can switch over the our brake light flasher but they you will lose the synch but you would be able to put the light in steady burn mode and back to the flashing mode easily. What do you think?

E Series sync is one of the things I really really like. I don't want to have to buy an external flasher for all the SNM lights I buy just to keep them in sync. These look cool, and I'll probably use them in place of something like an SOS Intersector on the end of my mirrors.

I guess I can't see why people would want an option to steady burn these in addition to regular warning patterns. While they're probably bright, I'm sure something like an E6 is probably brighter. That's the light that I'd like a white steady burn on (with an extra wire like the brake light flasher), but I wouldn't want to lose my E series sync for that feature.

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI

Here's a comparison video we made today. As always we try to give you the most accurate depiction of our lights. We played with the white balance so they would not blur up and give you the best example we could. The bright light really tortures the camera but I think the video is overall pretty good. Thanks for watching.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Louis,

In your honest opinion, will these new 'surface star' lights also be brighter than leading led hide aways when mounted in housings as well, or are the real benefits only shown when surface mounting? I'm sure placement would of course have an effect on the results, so let's take three different mounting situations into account:

A) mounted straight up from bottom of housing

B) mounted straight in from the side

C) mounted next to the factory bulb, mostly pointing out.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
I can't stress it enough these lights are NOT meant to be installed in any type of housing nor were they ever designed as such. They are a surface mount light. If a customer wants a hide a way LED then they would want to go with the Vertex, our E Series, etc.... As I noted in our initial video these are the only hide a way on the market presently specifically designed to be surface mounted.

So the answer to your question is you would not want to install them any of those ways. If you want a light that mounts like that use our EHAW1 hide a way.

Also as I have always noted Videos should not be used as the sole reason to buy lights. If I wanted I could make our lights look they blow away even an M7 but that is not what we try to do. We try to give an accurate representation of the light. My phone guy walked through as we have a new system going in and I asked him which light was brighter and without hesitation he pointed to the one on the left which was the Surface Star. Guess what I am pointing out is the video really does not them justice but it gives you something to look at as a comparison.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
They look very impressive.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
ISU_Cyclone said:
First sentence in the description "Small, economical 6 LED flasher for head lamps, tail lamps and many other applications."

And look at the bezels they have to allow surface mounting

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
I currently have a set of Rontan Quasar DOT lights. They are desinged as a surface mount light, not as a hide-a-way. They are bright they have great optics IMO. The only thing I can see different is yours will stick out past the bezel about a 1/4" or so. If they are not HAW lights why does everyone keep calling them that? Call them what they are, 1" Surface Mount LED. Also you shouldnt have them listed under your LED HAW section on your website then if thats not what they are designed for. It looks like a great light but it is not the first and one of a kind mini LED light head. Just my $.02

SNM_web_snap.JPG

proled

Sep 8, 2010
Belgium
@Louis > I wanted to buy a pair of these LED lamps from your site, but then had a heart attack to see you charge 150$ shipping to Europe !!!!!! is that correct ?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Possibly. After I just looked into shipping something to Europe myself. Rates for anything over a very tiny box are outrageous.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
I'd be interested to see the same "comparison" video, same conditions, but made to show off-axis output, say from your 45 and 90 angles. So far, they look and seem very impressive :thumbsup:

LLS

May 23, 2010
NYC
Of course shipping to Europe will be $150.

$40 for shipping,

$110 for the LED's after it gets lost in a small village post office under a shipment of Speculoos.

=$150.

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
Kd8bao said:
I currently have a set of Rontan Quasar DOT lights. They are desinged as a surface mount light, not as a hide-a-way. They are bright they have great optics IMO. The only thing I can see different is yours will stick out past the bezel about a 1/4" or so. If they are not HAW lights why does everyone keep calling them that? Call them what they are, 1" Surface Mount LED. Also you shouldnt have them listed under your LED HAW section on your website then if thats not what they are designed for. It looks like a great light but it is not the first and one of a kind mini LED light head. Just my $.02

View attachment 47350

They are actually listed under both hide a way lights, and surface mount lights.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
ff168577 said:
They are actually listed under both hide a way lights, and surface mount lights.

its just Symantecs... fact of the matter... they are surfacemount units that appear to be purpose designed. As long as people use them for that function they should do their job just fine based on the video.

Goodsam

Jun 26, 2011
South western Utah
unlisted said:
Can they be run for extended periods of steady burn? (ie: 30-60 mins) without issue?

Also any idea on lumen rating and beam spread? I know they haev good off axis, thinking of using them as ditch/alley/around vehicle lighting.

Did I miss the answer to this? and could these be set to steady burn and used with an external flasher?

thank you

Goodsam

Jun 26, 2011
South western Utah
Originally Posted by unlisted
Can they be run for extended periods of steady burn? (ie: 30-60 mins) without issue?

Also any idea on lumen rating and beam spread? I know they haev good off axis, thinking of using them as ditch/alley/around vehicle lighting.

Did I miss the answer to this? and could these be set to steady burn and used with an external flasher?
thank you

Strobesnmore said:
Goodsam, yes they have steady burn. The lights have shipped and in customers hands. The feedback has been all positive so far. Please let me know what you think if you've received yours.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Could you actually answer the below questions?

1. I got they have steady burn. But how long can they stay on in steady burn?

2. any idea on lumen rating and beam spread?

3. I know they haev good off axis, thinking of using them as ditch/alley/around vehicle lighting.

4. Can they be used with an external flasher?

5. And additionally since I have had so long to think about it is there a way to us the light independently from each other?

6. dose the supplied flasher have to be used?

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
I am not at the shop for lumen or spread but you can run them on steady burn with an external flasher. We are in the process of testing them for use an steady on flood type lights. Hope that answers most of your questions.

Goodsam

Jun 26, 2011
South western Utah
I am not at the shop for lumen or spread but you can run them on steady burn with an external flasher. We are in the process of testing them for use an steady on flood type lights. Hope that answers most of your questions.
Well you have made up my mind about purchasing from you. your lack of customer service and ability to respond to emails and answer some simple questions about YOUR PRODUCT! I received more Information out of your employees than you but still sub par to the industry. How do you plan on staying in business with your lack of service (at least with me)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
I responded to your question in 1 hour and about 7 minutes. As I said I am not at the shop and wont be for a week. I would rather give you facts than estimates or guesses. If I am not mistaken the spread is roughly 20 up down and about 90 side to side. We are open M-F 9-5 and provide both a local and toll free number and we have numerous sales emails and my personal one which most members on this site use. I thing that says a lot. If you have any other questions you can call me at 866-878-6234 and even though I am away I have an office phone with me which I will answer if I can and my email is louis@strobesnmore.com if you prefer email. Thanks

Goodsam

Jun 26, 2011
South western Utah

So no answer well I'm defiantly not going to purchase from you now I have asked twice now and you fail to produce.

Well according to a SNM employe they believe the light head is a 35 degree light head or optic he was not a 100% sure your tech rep recommends using light heads with supplied flasher and as far as steady burn they should be fine for extended times. And the light heads can only be used as a pair.

This info took 24 hrs for the SNM employee to get but you failed to get In A week

Tell me again where customers sit in you priority does not seem very high

And to top it off I emailed you with no response still

Best of luck on getting customers to come back to you with this kinda service I went somewhere else and received exceptional customer service. -1 customer for you.

Pm sent more Profesional edit as per mod and site rules

Last edited by a moderator:

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
Ok then I hope you feel better getting that off your chest. Should you need anything down the road please feel free to contact us. What is your email as I could not find anything and do not see it. Thanks

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
Goodsam said:
So no answer well I'm defiantly not going to purchase from you now I have asked twice now and you fail to produce.

Well according to a SNM employe they believe the light head is a 35 degree light head or optic he was not a 100% sure your tech rep recommends using light heads with supplied flasher and as far as steady burn they should be fine for extended times. And the light heads can only be used as a pair.

This info took 24 hrs for the SNM employee to get but you failed to get In A week

Best of luck on getting customers to come back to you with this kinda service I went somewhere else and received exceptional customer service. -1 customer for you.

This would have been better handled via PM's, not out in the open.

By all means, though, feel free to be a dick, since I'm not a mod or anything.

Goodsam

Jun 26, 2011
South western Utah
I apologize for the Double slam:bonk: ( technology +1 -5 for me for making my self look bad by it ) Ill Pm and save others from the chatter

Goodsam

Jun 26, 2011
South western Utah
11b101abn said:
This would have been better handled via PM's, not out in the open.

By all means, though, feel free to be a dick, since I'm not a mod or anything.

You are right editing to be more professional :duh:

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Goodsam said:
You are right editing to be more professional :duh:

You are not permitted to edit your posts content down to nothing or to make major changes as you have.

Restore the original messages. Also review the site rules.

Thanks!

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Goodsam said:

You should change your Signature to read "For every good reason there is to be a dink, there is a better reason to be nice". What's your deal man? I'm sorry, but you're the only one coming off as a jerk here. Where is this hostility coming from? Sorry he didn't have the exact specs for you, but honestly, who does? You call SoundOff or Whelen or Fed Sig, and I bet you money they will not have that information right off the bat. Someone will have to dig up that info.

Why do you want to know the spread so badly? It's all based on where you place it anyway. If it's mounted directly on the side of the vehicle, then you'll have a given viewing angle from a certain position. Mount it on any curved surface, and the viewing angle changes from that same position. You honestly need to tone it down a little since you are not an engineer and these types of "critical" specs to you are not that critical in the end.

Louis answered your questions to the best of his ability with regards to his present location. Kudos to him for not giving you a BS answer to satisfy your curiosity. He told you when he gets back that he will look this up for you. Who's to say that this information is just laying around the office for his employees to sift through to answer your questions. They may be on his computer or in a locked file cabinet. I don't want my employees going through my company files.

Learn to have a little patience and respect. YOU want something from HIM. Be nice about it.

I will answer your questions with what has been the industry standard for all the manufactures with regards to hide-aways.

Steady burn is usually for connecting to an external flasher. This way, you have maximum intensity when being pulsed by an external flasher. They are not typically designed to run consistently in steady burn as they tend to heat up. SoundOff incorporated a dimming feature in their HAWs to prevent their lightheads from burning out.

What's the Lumen rating on the Vertex? Nobody knows. Lumens rate the output on focused lights, not lights designed to spread right as it leaves the housing. That's like asking what the pellet spread is when firing a sawed off shotgun. That information is useless, so that's why they don't give it.

These style lights can not be used without the flasher. In addition to being a flasher, it also contains all the current regulators inside in order to allow the lighthead to be as compact as possible. Sure you could cut it off and connect it directly to a power source, but then you will only have a single flash and that's it. All the necessary circuitry is built into the flasher. This is the industry standard for every HAW on the market.

Now, with all that said, if the information you were seeking was that "critical" to you, you would have known the answers to the questions you asked.

Just take a deep breath and ask yourself how necessary it is to have this info. You're trying to tarnish Louis' reputation because you asked questions that he couldn't answer for you immediately and obviously doesn't make a difference. Seriously, you want ditch lights, then buy ditch lights. Buy lights made specifically for that purpose. Don't try to convert something that was intended to flash. Buy the light designed to be on steady burn for days at a time. That's what a logical person would do. Don't trash somebody for not having answers to your hypothetical applications.

If I were you, I'd apologize for your remarks.

Tony

Goodsam

Jun 26, 2011
South western Utah
ERM said:
You should change your Signature to read "For every good reason there is to be a dink, there is a better reason to be nice". What's your deal man? I'm sorry, but you're the only one coming off as a jerk here. Where is this hostility coming from? Sorry he didn't have the exact specs for you, but honestly, who does? You call SoundOff or Whelen or Fed Sig, and I bet you money they will not have that information right off the bat. Someone will have to dig up that info.

Why do you want to know the spread so badly? It's all based on where you place it anyway. If it's mounted directly on the side of the vehicle, then you'll have a given viewing angle from a certain position. Mount it on any curved surface, and the viewing angle changes from that same position. You honestly need to tone it down a little since you are not an engineer and these types of "critical" specs to you are not that critical in the end.

Louis answered your questions to the best of his ability with regards to his present location. Kudos to him for not giving you a BS answer to satisfy your curiosity. He told you when he gets back that he will look this up for you. Who's to say that this information is just laying around the office for his employees to sift through to answer your questions. They may be on his computer or in a locked file cabinet. I don't want my employees going through my company files.

Learn to have a little patience and respect. YOU want something from HIM. Be nice about it.

I will answer your questions with what has been the industry standard for all the manufactures with regards to hide-aways.

Steady burn is usually for connecting to an external flasher. This way, you have maximum intensity when being pulsed by an external flasher. They are not typically designed to run consistently in steady burn as they tend to heat up. SoundOff incorporated a dimming feature in their HAWs to prevent their lightheads from burning out.

What's the Lumen rating on the Vertex? Nobody knows. Lumens rate the output on focused lights, not lights designed to spread right as it leaves the housing. That's like asking what the pellet spread is when firing a sawed off shotgun. That information is useless, so that's why they don't give it.

These style lights can not be used without the flasher. In addition to being a flasher, it also contains all the current regulators inside in order to allow the lighthead to be as compact as possible. Sure you could cut it off and connect it directly to a power source, but then you will only have a single flash and that's it. All the necessary circuitry is built into the flasher. This is the industry standard for every HAW on the market.

Now, with all that said, if the information you were seeking was that "critical" to you, you would have known the answers to the questions you asked.

Just take a deep breath and ask yourself how necessary it is to have this info. You're trying to tarnish Louis' reputation because you asked questions that he couldn't answer for you immediately and obviously doesn't make a difference. Seriously, you want ditch lights, then buy ditch lights. Buy lights made specifically for that purpose. Don't try to convert something that was intended to flash. Buy the light designed to be on steady burn for days at a time. That's what a logical person would do. Don't trash somebody for not having answers to your hypothetical applications.

If I were you, I'd apologize for your remarks.

Tony

I made my self look like an ass got it! My apologies to Louis (Pm sent more professional)

As For the questions some of that was a mod questions from

January 22nd, 2013, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by unlisted

sorry but still no answer in almost a month (25 Days exactly) industry standard for product info I think not.

my question was

Goodsam February 8th, 2013, 12:03 AM

thank you

Answered my question not the other questions for the mod Quote 6 days later with no hint of a time frame or and answer to those questions .

Strobesnmore said:
Today, 06:10 AM Goodsam, yes they have steady burn. The lights have shipped and in customers hands. The feedback has been all positive so far. Please let me know what you think if you've received yours.

I dont know where louis got the idea I ordered or was expecting a set but............

so I asked again hoping to pass that i was not satisfied with the previous answer, with more questions :

Goodsam said:
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Could you actually answer the below questions?

1. I got they have steady burn. But how long can they stay on in steady burn?

2. any idea on lumen rating and beam spread?

3. I know they haev good off axis, thinking of using them as ditch/alley/around vehicle lighting.

4. Can they be used with an external flasher?

5. And additionally since I have had so long to think about it is there a way to us the light independently from each other?

6. dose the supplied flasher have to be used?

response:

Strobesnmore said:

I get he's not at the shop and he cant get the answer to number 2 and 3 covered. 4 double question already answered 1,5 and 6 no mention of when how long a a response is going to take ar any thing else seems like unanswered questions. again

the rest is just straight up frustration and being fed up with what appears to be a run around IMHO i was really looking to use this product but as I done

again I'll apologize for being an ass was over the top not afraid to admit when Im wrong

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.