Strobes N More Surface Star

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
I think I answered all your questions but on the steady burn unless an LED is designed specifically for that purpose it should not be used as such. Because so many asked about a steady burn over ride we are doing testing to see how this will affect the lights and what changes need to be made. That info will be posted when it available. For now if anyone has the lights in hand lets get some feedback. Thanks

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
Goods am, I'll answer your PM Here. I have not been on the site as the date of your last post we had blizzard Nemo upon us and I had the accident below. A large tree tried to take me out but I'm fine, truck not so fine. We were Lucky we opened Monday and I have not been able to free up and get on the forum until yesterday, For this i apologize. Most on this forum know to email me and I'll do my best to get back to you with the answers you request. Next time call me or email me direct. I'm not perfect but ill do my best. I also apologize for my staffs answer as it sounds like you didn't get the answer you were looking for. If you set the lights to steady burn both will stay steady and both will work off one output of your flasher. Mounting them under your mirrors pointing down would not be something I would recommend. I would see if you can find a cheap accessory light at an auto parts store for that. Any other questions please let me know. Thanks.

image.jpg

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Glad you are ok Louis! I think people sometimes forget that we can't ALWAYS be 100 percent accessible or perfect. We are human and sometimes things fall through the crack no matter how much we try to be there for every customer. Life gets in the way of things too. That being said, I've had some discussions with goodsam. Seems like a good guy. I'm sure he didn't realize how he was coming across publicly which is why he tried to change it.

On to the topic at hand.... While these surface stars are impressive, I'd agree with Louis. I think there would be better products out there to serve as a puddle/area light. We all love getting creative with our emergency lights but sometimes doing the obvious is the best way. If you are looking for something you can use for dual purpose warning and puddle/scene light.... Whelen's new interesector type light would sound ideal for you that or one of the dual mode Cannons but it wont have the spread of the Whelen.

Goodsam

Jun 26, 2011
South western Utah
Strobesnmore said:
Goods am, I'll answer your PM Here. I have not been on the site as the date of your last post we had blizzard Nemo upon us and I had the accident below. A large tree tried to take me out but I'm fine, truck not so fine. We were Lucky we opened Monday and I have not been able to free up and get on the forum until yesterday, For this i apologize. Most on this forum know to email me and I'll do my best to get back to you with the answers you request. Next time call me or email me direct. I'm not perfect but ill do my best. I also apologize for my staffs answer as it sounds like you didn't get the answer you were looking for. If you set the lights to steady burn both will stay steady and both will work off one output of your flasher. Mounting them under your mirrors pointing down would not be something I would recommend. I would see if you can find a cheap accessory light at an auto parts store for that. Any other questions please let me know. Thanks.

Thank you again mostly answered will wait for the rest. Now Glad you and your Family is ok Sorry for the truck thats a BUMMER:(, as far as the 6 day delay I get it I knew something was up as you had not been logged in I attempted to email personally (At Louis@strobesnmore.com) and I have not noted a direct line to you again my apologies to you (I know were not all perfect as I am not either obviously LOL) Fever thank you also :)

As far as your staff I was more upset when he asked me to call back so they could have the answers and he didn't have any when I called back . When I called as requested He said hold on Ill be right back and about 5 min later he then say's ok I just got off the phone with the tech rep (says to me he forgot completely about it and rushed the answers) so thats my frustration

back to topic to the application I am trying to figure out if they would work would be mounting to bottom of mirrors as additional turn indicators. (obviously not the use as designed most likely not recommended my manufacture) your product however appears to have the the smallest vertical hight and smallest diameter with the best light distribution for the best cost. My desired light is the the one thats not seen till illuminated most auto accessories fail at this miserably hence the reason I turn to other lighting options . This would provide in my thought of application a 180+ degrees of visibility from my intended mounting location. Additionally with the optics on your light head as your video's describe would provide the light disbution I desire. It appears as if I mount them facing down on the bottom of my mirrors that the bulk of the light would travel down not projecting all of the light on the vertical plane if you follow me. making your product possibly the best for my application. But the key to my application is being able to use the light heads independently first ( but as you said both lights on steady means both heads would flash on one channel of flasher and second would be the possibly to dim the light head if to intense ( like an inline resistor).

As far as the puddle function plenty of other options.

I had considered the whelen V-series all the functions are almost there but the cost and mounting possibilities make them less than desirable in my application IMO (noting that I'm modifying my Unity spotlights to HID so no alley light needed) warning and puddle function puddle function capable from other products. For warning I have recently installed into each running board two whelen vertex one at an angle ing the front of board and one at the rear of the board (amazing light coverage) on whellen ULF- 44 (love signal alert flash) . the only desire would be to have a warning light at a different height.

so with all that I think the most important thing to me was having each head light independently of each other. when you have time if as a supplier of a product would be willing to let me know if the possibility exist to use your surface star independently of the other head something like a Whelen or fed signal Traffic adviser head no flasher built in just a dummy head that you could provide 12v (automotive 13.8 I believe) to the light head to make function ( obviously no warranty i would assume) but if not I understand i personally would like to by a lot of the hide away lights with no flasher and be able to use the head on an independent external flasher

thanks again for your response and your understanding

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
Again you can set the lights to steady burn and run them through a flasher but both lights will work off of one output on your flasher. If you want to try and do anything else with the LEDs that is entirely up to you however if you damage them you are on your own as they are designed to be run through our flasher and nothing else.

JM6402

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
Really guy? You are nothing more than a troll. I have bought numerous products from Louis, without issue, and with better customer service than W, SOS, Feniex, and Code 3 combined. If you are trying to make a point, the only point you are making is you are a moron.

JM

Edit: Had to get it off my chest. This is why you need to graduate High School at least to join ELB, otherwise you get posters like Goodsam who try to ruin threads.

Goodsam said:
So no answer well I'm defiantly not going to purchase from you now I have asked twice now and you fail to produce.

Well according to a SNM employe they believe the light head is a 35 degree light head or optic he was not a 100% sure your tech rep recommends using light heads with supplied flasher and as far as steady burn they should be fine for extended times. And the light heads can only be used as a pair.

This info took 24 hrs for the SNM employee to get but you failed to get In A week

Tell me again where customers sit in you priority does not seem very high

And to top it off I emailed you with no response still

Best of luck on getting customers to come back to you with this kinda service I went somewhere else and received exceptional customer service. -1 customer for you.

Pm sent more Profesional edit as per mod and site rules

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Christ! Where's the beating a dead horse .gif???

Louis, kudos to you. I would have resorted to sarcasm & swearing long before now. On a positive note, I've got a new person to block after reading this....

Goodsam

Jun 26, 2011
South western Utah
Gated Wye said:
Really guy? You are nothing more than a troll. I have bought numerous products from Louis, without issue, and with better customer service than W, SOS, Feniex, and Code 3 combined. If you are trying to make a point, the only point you are making is you are a moron.

JM

Edit: Had to get it off my chest. This is why you need to graduate High School at least to join ELB, otherwise you get posters like Goodsam who try to ruin threads.

Glad you got if off your chest! sorry I upset you also as well as many others I'm sure My apologies to them too.

I gratuated over 15 years ago am I ok to post ;) (just a lil sarcasm i hope that ok?)

Not trying to ruin the thread or nor would I ever attempt to do that with malicious intent or any intent for that matter (needless to say as before I did it unintentionally hind sight is 20/20 and I cant take it back violation of site rules as I was reminded Boy at this point I wish I could ) my goal was to be a productive contributing member of this board.

As for me it was my worst first impression of any of the manufactures OR business I have ever dealt with. ( water under the bridge at this point)

as to SNM Products never purchased anything from them and my initial thoughts was SNM product was going to be amazing and fit the bill I was looking for. (maybe ill change my mind and purchase a product if it fits my need) as of now Louis has more than answered one of my questions way to many times I think 3-4 times and it want fit my current desired use.

I think I did what what a responsible adult would do (I would hope some others on the board would do when they did as I did above) admit there mistakes learn from their mistakes Apologize to the group for their actions and hope for the best. If it hasn't came across that way please take as such from this posting on my apologies to the Group Elight bars members and to louis

I believe I have been a member of this board for getting close to 10 years and to have one slip in 10 years still not acceptable but hopefully in time will be excusable. But I shall now sit on the side lines and watch this product:

I cant wait to see what others have to say and how they apply this in the industry I truly think this is a first for this kind of product and was tickled when I watched the video in the very first post. cant wait to see more on this product as of now.

any who wish to lash me for my comments above please feel free as I rightfully do deserve them .pm them to me and lets get this thread back on topic i think i have done enough damage here:suicide:

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
FEVER said:
Possibly. After I just looked into shipping something to Europe myself. Rates for anything over a very tiny box are outrageous.

If it is small (like these lights), use USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail boxes.

Also, for international shipping DHL use to always bet the lowest cost. I am not sure lately as I no longer have an active account with them and haven't for several years.

------

Louis,

How do these lights of yours compare to the Canon's? What are the major differences other than how yours are purposefully designed to be external to light housings? Reason I ask is because I have seen the Canons mounted externally and they look good...I was wondering how yours compare?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
The flat rate boxes are good for up to 70# For domestic and 20# for international. It is a flat for international also. I think the largest flat rate box is only 15 bucks. This is a medium flat rate box. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361201616.800348.jpg

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
If purchased online the postage for them is as follows:

DOMESTIC:

• Small = $5.15
  • Medium = $11.30
  • Large = $15.30
  • INTERNATIONAL:

Small = $23.95
  • Medium = $59.95
  • Large = $77.95

By comparison, my FedEx rates tend to beat the overwhelming majority of Domestic rates through the USPS and UPS.

However, when it comes to international, USPS dominates my FedEx rates, and I have informed FedEx of this numerous times. :suicide:

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
I have not seen the Canon so I cant really say. I have seen an 8 diode LED thats floating around out there from overseas but it was not very good. It did a 4 and 4 flash but not worth it at all. I can ship flat rate box but heres the catch. They will charge you for insurance, tracking, and return shipping if theres an issue so lots of times its no cheaper.

Louis

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
Strobesnmore said:
I have not seen the Canon so I cant really say.

Louis

If you get ahold of a set & make a comparison video, I'd love to see it.

I am still in the market for these types of parameter lighting. Just trying to decide on what/who to go with.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
To compare these to the cannons is unfair to either product. They were both designed for slightly different purposes

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
FEVER said:
To compare these to the cannons is unfair to either product. They were both designed for slightly different purposes

That's why I stated I know his we're purpose built for external where as the Canon's were geared towards internal usage, but...I would still like a visual to see the two in action side-by-side.

It could be that a combination of both would make a GREAT perimeter lighting system. :yes: :) :thumbsup:

Whereas one would complement the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
we will be able to work on that for ya... give us a few days.

Q2bman

Jan 27, 2012
USA oklahoma
I'm going to led the shit out of my pants and have your mom call me disco stew! You guys are dorks.

Q2bman

Jan 27, 2012
USA oklahoma
Q2bman said:
I'm going to led the shit out of my pants and have your mom call me disco stew! You guys are dorks.

SORRY!! Never EVER leave your computer logged on in the PD. :duh:

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
At least they didn't throw something up there about liking salty nuts like one of my FB friends always gets pranked with.

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
Heres a video a customer took of the lights in action. I also just finished and install on my new truck with them using all Strobes N More products. I will get that up shortly as well. As for a video someone send me a canon and ill be glad to shoot a fair comparison video.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Strobesnmore said:
Heres a video a customer took of the lights in action. I also just finished and install on my new truck with them using all Strobes N More products. I will get that up shortly as well. As for a video someone send me a canon and ill be glad to shoot a fair comparison video.

3rd brake light blinking = big no no in my books..

Q2bman

Jan 27, 2012
USA oklahoma
ERM said:
Big no no in the law books too. :nono:

I neither agree not disagree but will throw out there the new dodge that comes factory with a flashing third brake light. I remember it used to be a huge no no to flash the third brake light but now some cars are coming out with the several flash then steady third brake light. And I can't see an emergency light in a third brake light being an issue. The only vehicle that would be following you in an emergency is another patrol car. Im on the fence.

Those stars look good. (my attempt to stay on topic)

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Q2bman said:
I neither agree not disagree but will throw out there the new dodge that comes factory with a flashing third brake light. I remember it used to be a huge no no to flash the third brake light but now some cars are coming out with the several flash then steady third brake light. And I can't see an emergency light in a third brake light being an issue. The only vehicle that would be following you in an emergency is another patrol car. Im on the fence.

Those stars look good. (my attempt to stay on topic)

The relevant section of FMVSS No. 108 reads as follows:

S5.5.10 The wiring requirements for lighting equipment in use are:

(a) Turn signal lamps, hazard warning signal lamps, and school bus warning lamps shall be wired to flash;

(

B) Headlamps and side marker lamps may be wired to flash for signaling purposes;

© A motorcycle headlamp may be wired to allow either its upper beam or its lower beam, but not both, to modulate from a higher intensity to a lower intensity in accordance with section S5.6;

(d) All other lamps shall be wired to be steady-burning.

Just because someone does it, doesn't make it legal. Law is law. Unless that changes, they are wrong.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
ERM said:
The relevant section of FMVSS No. 108 reads as follows:

S5.5.10 The wiring requirements for lighting equipment in use are:

(a) Turn signal lamps, hazard warning signal lamps, and school bus warning lamps shall be wired to flash;

(

B) Headlamps and side marker lamps may be wired to flash for signaling purposes;

© A motorcycle headlamp may be wired to allow either its upper beam or its lower beam, but not both, to modulate from a higher intensity to a lower intensity in accordance with section S5.6;

(d) All other lamps shall be wired to be steady-burning.

Just because someone does it, doesn't make it legal. Law is law. Unless that changes, they are wrong.

Of course this FMVSS does not prohibit the placement of HAW lights inside of the CHMSL housing. The regulation only dictates how the CHMSL may be "wired" (operate) during normal use.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Zack said:
Of course this FMVSS does not prohibit the placement of HAW lights inside of the CHMSL housing. The regulation only dictates how the CHMSL may be "wired" (operate) during normal use.

From my interpretation, the FMVSS also makes it illegal to place HAW/LAW in fog/aux lights, tail lights, and/or reverse lights... but we do all that.

Now, that being said I've always considered the CHMSL to be "sacred" ground and I won't mess with it on any of my vehicles. I also can't stand the new flashing CHMSL on some vehicles. In heavy traffic there are times that all I see is a sea of flashing red and yet there's no emergency. Now, if there was a way to hook the flashing function to a force gague so when you slammed on the breaks for an emergency stop/evasive action it flashed but otherwise operated normally I'd be OK with that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zakdyer14

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.