Strobes N More Surface Star

Q2bman

Jan 27, 2012
USA oklahoma
ERM said:
The relevant section of FMVSS No. 108 reads as follows:

S5.5.10 The wiring requirements for lighting equipment in use are:

(a) Turn signal lamps, hazard warning signal lamps, and school bus warning lamps shall be wired to flash;

(

B) Headlamps and side marker lamps may be wired to flash for signaling purposes;

© A motorcycle headlamp may be wired to allow either its upper beam or its lower beam, but not both, to modulate from a higher intensity to a lower intensity in accordance with section S5.6;

(d) All other lamps shall be wired to be steady-burning.

Just because someone does it, doesn't make it legal. Law is law. Unless that changes, they are wrong.

I don't see anything saying you can't glad the 3rd brake light. And if you interperet this the wrong way, you can't even use traffic backers. Doesn't state you can flash the brakes either. Im not so sure this is meant for emergency vehicles. More for passenger vehicles. Anyway, I'm not arguing. Louis said his brake light overpowers the haws so that sound prudent.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Q2bman said:
I don't see anything saying you can't glad the 3rd brake light. And if you interperet this the wrong way, you can't even use traffic backers. Doesn't state you can flash the brakes either. Im not so sure this is meant for emergency vehicles. More for passenger vehicles. Anyway, I'm not arguing. Louis said his brake light overpowers the haws so that sound prudent.

Here's some clarification where the wording is a little more precise.

S5.5.4 The stop lamps on each vehicle shall be activated upon application of the service brakes. The high-mounted stop lamp on each vehicle shall be activated only upon application of the service brakes.

I'm sure everyone can spot the wording of shall and only. They are clear that the brake lights must come on when the brake pedal is pressed, however, there is no limitation that they can not flash, as long as the brake lights come on steady when the pedal is pressed, which they do when using a traffic backer. However, the CHMSL shall ONLY be activated when the brakes are pressed.

After interpreting my previous quote, the wording states the wiring requirements. Since the vehicle was wired this way, it is in compliance. It does not state the operational requirements such as the above quote. The way I see it, the current interpretation of flashing brakes and no CHMSL is accurate.

You could argue semantics that by adding a HAW in the housing is technically not the bulb flashing; but that's not the way a court will see it. To the viewer, the CHMSL assembly is illuminating without depressing the brake pedal and only showing one color; Red. Can you guess what a cop would argue?

Everyone can do what they want to do, but in the end, is it right or wrong? We are suppose to be professionals. That means following the laws, no matter how much we disagree with them.

One of the nice things about ELB is that if you can't find something, someone on here will locate it. The information has been presented. Read it for yourself. If you're not sure on the interpretation, ask someone smarter. In the end, you can't go wrong to error on the side of caution. They wrote the law this way for a reason. :undecided:

Tony

RickLBZ

Sep 9, 2010
Miami, Fl.
"S5.5.4 The stop lamps on each vehicle shall be activated upon application of the service brakes. The high-mounted stop lamp on each vehicle shall be activated only upon application of the service brakes."

To me this sounds like manufactures are not allowed to have a dual brightness CHMSL that is wired into the parking lights. As for the whole thing, I don't see anything wrong with it and wouldn't stop/harass someone that has it, but maybe that's just me.

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
to get somewhat back on track here is the install I just did on my daily driver and as I mentioned I run hide a way LEDs in my third brake lights. I keep my lights hidden on all my vehicles.

The tint on the front window really held back a ton of light so went with the brightest light I could find. I am going to switch out the bottom rear hide a ways with 35 degrees as you can see the white not only overpowers them but they 35's allow the LED to be seen much easier.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Strobesnmore said:
to get somewhat back on track here is the install I just did on my daily driver and as I mentioned I run hide a way LEDs in my third brake lights. I keep my lights hidden on all my vehicles.

The tint on the front window really held back a ton of light so went with the brightest light I could find. I am going to switch out the bottom rear hide a ways with 35 degrees as you can see the white not only overpowers them but they 35's allow the LED to be seen much easier.

very nice looking ride

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
ERM said:
The relevant section of FMVSS No. 108 reads as follows:

S5.5.10 The wiring requirements for lighting equipment in use are:

(a) Turn signal lamps, hazard warning signal lamps, and school bus warning lamps shall be wired to flash;

(

B) Headlamps and side marker lamps may be wired to flash for signaling purposes;

© A motorcycle headlamp may be wired to allow either its upper beam or its lower beam, but not both, to modulate from a higher intensity to a lower intensity in accordance with section S5.6;

(d) All other lamps shall be wired to be steady-burning.

Just because someone does it, doesn't make it legal. Law is law. Unless that changes, they are wrong.

These are outdated regulations, they haven't bothered to revise them as it takes time and money to do so, so they just leave them until they need to revise them.

I have seen numerous motorcycles (both non-LEO and LEO) with flashing brake lights. Numerous EMS vehicles have flashing break lights, and some new vehicles on the market are starting to incorporate them.

The light merely flashes a preset number of times then goes solid. It is meant to get your attention that the person in-front of you has applied their breaks.

By your words and the outdated written laws above, the LEO's and Personal Bikes are breaking the laws right out of the gate from the manufacturers. The same goes for EMS (ambulances) vehicles and some new cars. Reason being, per the "rules", you can only have a flashing light for "Signaling Purposes".

Seriously...some people need to remove the HUGE STICKs from their asses anymore...people are too damn up tight and first to throw stones these days! Yet those are the people that when a stone is tossed back...can't take it and cry foul. :bonk: :weird:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
BCD said:
These are outdated regulations, they haven't bothered to revise them as it takes time and money to do so, so they just leave them until they need to revise them.

Just because a law is old and "other people are doing it" does not make it OK to violate the law. Is it possible for a law to no longer be enforced? Yes, but that is not the case here.

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
foxtrot5 said:
Just because a law is old and "other people are doing it" does not make it OK to violate the law. Is it possible for a law to no longer be enforced? Yes, but that is not the case here.

Ok.

Lets fine and/or arrest the LEO's who have flashing break lights on their motorcycles. **IT IS A VIOLATION OF OUR LAWS!**

Lets fine and/or arrest the Citizens who have flashing break lights on their motorcycles. **IT IS A VIOLATION OF OUR LAWS!**

Lets fine and/or arrest the Ambulance Drivers/Owners who have flashing break lights on their vehicles. **IT IS A VIOLATION OF OUR LAWS!**

Lets fine and/or arrest the citizens who have flashing break lights on their newly purchased vehicle straight from the factory. **IT IS A VIOLATION OF OUR LAWS!**

:weird: :popcorn: :weird:

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Strobesnmore said:
Thanks had the exact same truck in blue. Really good trucks and I don't need a big gas guzzler.

Lookin good... :thumbsup:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
BCD said:
Ok.

Lets fine and/or arrest the LEO's who have flashing break lights on their motorcycles. **IT IS A VIOLATION OF OUR LAWS!**

Lets fine and/or arrest the Citizens who have flashing break lights on their motorcycles. **IT IS A VIOLATION OF OUR LAWS!**

Lets fine and/or arrest the Ambulance Drivers/Owners who have flashing break lights on their vehicles. **IT IS A VIOLATION OF OUR LAWS!**

Lets fine and/or arrest the citizens who have flashing break lights on their newly purchased vehicle straight from the factory. **IT IS A VIOLATION OF OUR LAWS!**

I'm starting to feel like you and I simply don't see eye to eye on things. We've argued in the past and there's no need for this to turn into another one.

I've leave it off by repeating that just because everyone does it, doesn't make it legal.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
BCD said:
Ok.

OK, let's fine and/or arrest the underage kids for drinking. **IT IS A VIOLATION OF OUR LAWS!**

Let's fine and/or arrest adults who purchase alcohol for minors. **IT IS A VIOLATION OF OUR LAWS!**

Wait, we already do because it's against the law to do those things. The law is the law. Yes, there are severities of what is considered illegal, but who are you to decide what laws you can break and what you will abide by? Certainly identifies your level of professionalism.

Maybe we should take out these laws because so many people are doing it. Must be OK if enough people are doing it, right? You can disagree all you want, doesn't make you right. If you feel so strongly that the law is outdated, file a petition to change it. Do some legwork and make the change. Don't just sit around and bitch about it and tell others to go ahead and do it because YOU feel it's outdated.

When the crap hits the fan one day, guess what the lawyer fill fixate on if someone is rear-ended and his client says the lights were flashing. Take a guess who's going to lose. You probably won't get a ticket for it, but you will lose in court over it because that's where they enforce the written law (outdated or not).

Moderators, we're going astray from Louis' original thread. Maybe this should be in its own thread.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
ERM said:
Moderators, we're going astray from Louis' original thread. Maybe this should be in its own thread.

... Maybe someone should use the "REPORT POST"... Or better yet simply don't feed the troll and watch the problem resolve itself.. ;)

SO back on topic people, lets see how long it'll last.. ;)

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
unlisted said:
... Maybe someone should use the "REPORT POST"... Or better yet simply don't feed the troll and watch the problem resolve itself.. ;)

Written that way for a reason.

Aug 1, 2011
Ballston Spa NY USA
so far what i have seen of this light, its awesome looking directly in front of it. but once you start going off axis, the output greatly diminishes. i can see why this is not meant to be put in headlights as it has very little off axis warning. that being said, i dont see myself getting any of these in the near future for 1, the price and 2, i would need a lot of them (at least 2 in front 2 on each side and 2 in the rear) to make any significant difference. now dont get me wrong, it could very well be a different story in person, but not from what i have seen of the videos.

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
unlisted said:

Quite frankly the "Troll" is the person(s) that started the topic off on this side "rant"...that would be Unlisted (originator) and ERM (exacerbation).

Maybe choose your wording more carefully next time as it only points to the source. ;) :cool:

Now...I agree...back to the lights where I WAS on topic till this all erupted. :rolleyes:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i think ill go put some lights in my break lights....

but my BRAKE lights i might stay away from....

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
BCD said:
Quite frankly the "Troll" is the person(s) that started the topic off on this side "rant"...that would be Unlisted (originator) and ERM (exacerbation).

Maybe choose your wording more carefully next time as it only points to the source. ;) :cool:

Now...I agree...back to the lights where I WAS on topic till this all erupted. :rolleyes:

Noo.. Bringing up a very valid observation is one thing, and on topic since it had to do with the lights being discussed in this thread.

Someone mentioning its illegal and providing hard evidence is also on topic.

Arguing about the "law" or "legalities" and that they are "outdated" (even when its still a valid law) is trolling. Regardless of the point you are trying to make, law is law. Deal with it.

Nice try, I will give you half a point.

NOW.. Back on topic Everyone. Off topic posts from this point forward will be deleted, and users warned.

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
The off axis is actually really good. I changed out the dash light today and went back to our Strobes N More D12. I also added some reverse lights using our E6 Minis set to steady burn. We should have some sun tomorrow and ill shoot a new video.

Q2bman

Jan 27, 2012
USA oklahoma
Strobesnmore said:
The off axis is actually really good. I changed out the dash light today and went back to our Strobes N More D12. I also added some reverse lights using our E6 Minis set to steady burn. We should have some sun tomorrow and ill shoot a new video.

dang it...........i missed every bit of the 3rd brake/break light argument.

Looks good Louis. I like those pick-ups. I heard you say you went with the brightest led because of tint. I would think TIR led would wourk better through tint so i'm glad you went with the D12. A TIR slimlighter would rock but no dang flash shield. KINDA LIKE YOUR E SERIES LIGHT STICKS. Still waiting on a flash shield or interior bar from you.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
BCD said:
Ok.

Most states have laws that exempt LE vehicles from traffic laws

Back on topic, Louis that Toyota looks amazing. Your Star's look great and the off axis is surprising. Nice install

MeefZah

Oct 6, 2011
New Philadelphia, OH
Just ordered a set of these, along with a bunch of other SNM stuff to outfit my new Civic. Intended use for these will be on the sides of the front bumper, about 6" ahead of the wheel, for intersections. Looks like a nice product and I've always had good service from Louis.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.