The Worst Police vehicles thread.

brianmcfa

Nov 27, 2012
Nebraska
So this one is likely a '90 then.

Sarge619 said:
Just an FYI, Ford never offered a Taurus Police Package in the late 1980's. While some departments may have utilized base-level Tauruses, they were not police-spec packages. The Taurus Police Package was introduced in 1990 (end of 1st Generation) and produced until 1995 (2nd Generation). For more specifics, try here:

Ford Taurus Police Package

HILO said:
The Taurus was offered with a Police Package since the late 80's with the first body style. It had gills in the solid grill area for extra cooling. The Lumina had a 9C1 with the last body style, and featured real Recaro buckets in front. Both had 3.8 V6 and 4 wheel disc brakes, and were way faster than Crown Victorias, and faster than non LT1 Caprice! While neither were RWD, they did handle well. I drove 9C1 Luminas frequently, and owned a 1993 Taurus PPV. My Taurus was faster than the 2005 Impala 9C1, and would take a Prelude 4WS every time! My only issue with the Taurus was it ran hot due to no grill, and the Lumina had some problems with the left front wheel spindle snapping at the Dallas PD PVOC.
oberlindare.jpg

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
brianmcfa said:
How about the placement on this one?

With the angle on that, he should be using aviation colors and not emergency ones! The aircraft can probably see him for miles! :bonk:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
That looks pretty level to me. And it's placed there most likely because there is a removable T top with glass, so you could not mount it further forward.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
lafd55 said:
That looks pretty level to me.

Upon further review, I'm stupid and it is fairly level, a quick glance and passing familiarity with the vehcile made me think it would be on an angle. :duh:

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
irsa76 said:
Love the pepboys wheel covers on the first one. Also interesting both are parking enforcement...
I noticed both were parking enforcement, too. Seem like pretty nice vehicles for that task. I especially like the "Abrupt Stops" warning on the Minot car. :rofl: I'll bet they can carry a lot of boots in those things. ;)

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
lafd55 said:
That looks pretty level to me. And it's placed there most likely because there is a removable T top with glass, so you could not mount it further forward.
I agree it looks pretty level and you can see the T-tops in the picture, so that explains the placement. Cool for use as a DARE car at the time.

charliefox

May 28, 2010
Burlington WA
brianmcfa said:
Just when you thought that the Yugo was a clear front runner, LaConner, WA threw their LeCar into the ring.

I remember these things. They had, not one, but two of them! And they used them! To be fair, they also had a Diplomat and an LTD for REAL police work....

charliefox

May 28, 2010
Burlington WA
brianmcfa said:
Let's not forget Subaru. Whitefish, Montana. (Samuel Smith/Police Car Archives Photo)

For a SRO this wouldn't be a bad ride; makes the copper driving it more approachable. Of course I'm sure there are many "Fast and Furious" comments...

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
jph2 said:
I agree it looks pretty level and you can see the T-tops in the picture, so that explains the placement. Cool for use as a DARE car at the time.

I wish the DARE was larger, pretty darn small for a public relations vehicle.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
1074S8 said:
I really wish i could find a pic of the Chevy Lumina the local Sheriff's Office used in the late 90s.... I'm going hunting

ETA... only can get the link... newer stripe package....but still crappy car

copcar dot com - The home of the American Police Car - Photo Archives

This is the stripe package that was on the Lumina first...

copcar dot com - The home of the American Police Car - Photo Archives

Also they had the Deputies LAST NAME on the rear of the car.

Name on the back of the car? Hmm that would be so the public knew who to complain on.. :haha:

waldalm

Mar 27, 2011
US, North AL
brianmcfa said:
Oh..... My...... GOD!!!!! I'm not certain, but I think this is a Yugo from Mobile, AL. I couldn't figure out where the original photo came from.

Oh wow.... Yeah that's the city crest of Mobile lol Graphics really haven't changed much since then either.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
All you cops complaining about how small the interior of the new Taurus PI is oughta try that car out. :haha:

smokin351

Feb 28, 2012
Bluegrass State
brianmcfa said:
Late 90s Taurus Wagon? I think this is somewhere in Ohio.

Me thinks that is a Hamilton County Sheriffs vehicle. I remember seeing those in Cincinnati several years ago outside the courthouse.

Last edited by a moderator:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
brianmcfa said:
A Visibar? Although it doesn't actually look that bad.

The thread you're looking for is here, hth.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
Not the worst by far, but odd for a crossing guard unit? the Idea is the marked car slows traffic. ;)

004.jpg

brianmcfa

Nov 27, 2012
Nebraska
nerdly_dood said:
The thread you're looking for is here, hth.

If this is used in actual road patrol service, it's a bad idea. A siren on the roof in a pursuit can drive you bonkers. Plus, no take downs or alley lights, and if it's freezing out those suckers take forever to start turning.

SSgt Elmer

May 21, 2010
NE WI, USA
brianmcfa said:
If this is used in actual road patrol service, it's a bad idea. A siren on the roof in a pursuit can drive you bonkers. Plus, no take downs or alley lights, and if it's freezing out those suckers take forever to start turning.

I would do the siren on the roof as just for looks, with the standard speaker under the roof. Do a dashlight or two, some LAWS - I would drive that to work every day and all day.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
CodeMan said:
Not the worst by far, but odd for a crossing guard unit? the Idea is the marked car slows traffic. ;)

View attachment 46010
What the F!?!? That's a total waist of money... Crossing guards don't need more then a handheld stop sign and a traffic vest, lol, not an actual vehicle.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
lafd55 said:
What the F!?!? That's a total waist of money... Crossing guards don't need more then a handheld stop sign and a traffic vest, lol, not an actual vehicle.

Dont be so sure. In a high traffic area, it may be useful. Also it can hold extra equipment (traffic cones, etc).

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
lafd55 said:

There are three of these, this is the nicest, the others are old winstars. the lightbars are recycled and the cost to re-stripe (wording) on them is about $50. they do slow traffic down in the high traffic areas, frees up the LEO to patrol their zones & answer calls. I had to post the photo as it is unique & shows some are thinking outside the box i guess. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

brianmcfa

Nov 27, 2012
Nebraska
SSgt Elmer said:
I would do the siren on the roof as just for looks, with the standard speaker under the roof. Do a dashlight or two, some LAWS - I would drive that to work every day and all day.

A speaker under the roof might be a problem. You'd have to roll down the windows so they could hear it better outside the car. :razz: But seriously, a non-working siren even for looks would cause too much wind drag. If I remember right even a spotlight drags a car down 3-4 mph I'd bet that speaker grabs 10.

brianmcfa

Nov 27, 2012
Nebraska
CodeMan said:
There are three of these, this is the nicest, the others are old winstars. the lightbars are recycled and the cost to stripe them is about $50. they do slow traffic down in the high traffic areas, frees up the LEO to patrol their zones & answer calls. I had to post the photo as it is unique & shows some are thinking outside the box i guess. :)

Wow $50 for that striping? I'd like to get in on that deal. My striping costs $100 for a simple stripe and shield.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
lafd55 said:

As someone who comes from a department who lost their only crossing guard on a heavily trafficked road (and yes she was wearing a reflective raincoat, vest and her handheld STOP sign), I couldn't disagree with you more. Crossing assignments are now handled by uniformed sworn officers in a marked cruiser.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Sarge619 said:
As someone who comes from a department who lost their only crossing guard on a heavily trafficked road (and yes she was wearing a reflective raincoat, vest and her handheld STOP sign), I couldn't disagree with you more. Crossing assignments are now handled by uniformed sworn officers in a marked cruiser.

My old dept made two officers work the crossing (major state highway in a smaller town). Even with traffic vests, orange gloves, two marked cars (full light bars, front and rear HAW's, and dash and deck lights), and flashing school zone lights, we still had to be on our toes and almost got hit several times.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I hear about crossing guard MVAs way too often.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.