The Worst Police vehicles thread.

Kind of surprised this isn't a thread already. I know we have the whacker/screwed up install thread in the misc section, but I felt there should be a special thread dedicated to finding and posting the worst police vehicles you've seen or found.

To post here, the vehicles must have at least one of the following qualities (or lack of)

- Paint Scheme/Decals , eg. Bright red with green stripes

- Stupid vehicles to use as police vehicles, eg. Toyota Prius

- Bad equipment, eg. a suburban with a single tear-drop light

- Wear/tear, eg. rust, filth, damage

Please list the department the vehicles is from, and if possible the vehicle brand/model.

To start with;

Goddard, Kansas

cnpca10806-vi.jpg

unknown dept, Crown vic

cnpca11266-vi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
In regards to Vail PD, their choice of vehicles is due to their climate conditions. Lots of snow and cold, so at the time, Saab offered what they needed. The LTDs, Impalas, and Diplomat/Fury cars of the 70/80's were RWD. The SUV offerings in the 70/80's were to big and slow. The Lumina and Taurus offerings were too loose and torque happy for the area. crown vics and Caprice were RWD. Vail used Saabs for 30 years. They now run Volvo. The lightbars were placed forward to prevent snow buildup.

970tahoe

Apr 5, 2011
North Carolina
HILO said:
In regards to Vail PD, their choice of vehicles is due to their climate conditions. Lots of snow and cold, so at the time, Saab offered what they needed. The LTDs, Impalas, and Diplomat/Fury cars of the 70/80's were RWD. The SUV offerings in the 70/80's were to big and slow. The Lumina and Taurus offerings were too loose and torque happy for the area. crown vics and Caprice were RWD. Vail used Saabs for 30 years. They now run Volvo. The lightbars were placed forward to prevent snow buildup.

All true statements. I live in Aspen and they had a fleet of Saabs for many years. They have since switched to Volvo XC90s and Toyota Highlander Hybrids. They tested extensively with other manufacturers and found that the AWD and space were better suited for them..

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Yeah I think I might contribute to this thread in the near future... Have Jeep Liberties, Ford Escape Hybrids, and Chevy Equinox's on base for patrol cars... I HATE GSA.

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Smokey.jpg

:DDon't forget this one from Smokey & the Bandit.

Highlander

Mar 10, 2012
Newfoundland, Canada
Back in the early 70's when I was a Military Policeman with the Canadian Armed Forces, they decided to use AMC Hornets as MP vehicles instead of full sized station wagons that we had been using. This was due to the gas crunch at the time. The Hornets had a full sized Visibar (with the large Federal Signal Model 175 lights) on it. We weren't even sure if that car was able to support that lightbar. It was the weirdest looking thing you ever saw. I wish I had taken some pictures of them; really hard to believe now. Definately not one of their better ideas. :eek:

jswwjw

Dec 10, 2010
Southern Indiana
Back in the 80's Chula Vista CA police fielded the taxi cab type vehicles (not crown victoria's) as police vehicles fully marked and equipped. Which I had a photo of those.

aencrypted_tbn3_gstatic_com_images_2a02539d2c06b9e289377409dd7fd647._.jpg

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
jswwjw said:
Back in the 80's Chula Vista CA police fielded the taxi cab type vehicles (not crown victoria's) as police vehicles fully marked and equipped. Which I had a photo of those.

aencrypted_tbn3_gstatic_com_images_2a02539d2c06b9e289377409dd7fd647._.jpg

In the early 80's, a city in the Metro Boston area (Chelsea) bought Checker Marathons (the car you have pictured) as did a small town in New Hampshire. Law and Order Magazine did an article on the New Hampshire department (I think it might have been Exeter?). They had Whelen 8000 strobe bars on them. They were butt-ugly, but the chief at the time said they were the toughest, most reliable cruisers they ever owned. There was more than enough room for up to four prisoners in the back (they were designed to be high-capacity sedans after all).

Here's some pics (both photos Herv Cote) of Chelsea's Checker, one the real car, the other a scale model he made of it:

Chelsea Checker.jpg

Chelsea Checker model.jpg

boboloo

Jun 5, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
gremlin.jpg

Thanks to: lapd5150policemotor*'s photostream

gremlin2.jpg

In the early 80's my father responded to volly calls in a red gremlin. The gremlin had a mechanical siren and a rotating red light that clipped onto the drivers side window when he needed it.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
EVT said:

Its a crown Victoria POLICE INTERCEPTOR.. So you aren't mad at the car...

Its BLUE... Very common for police (aside from it being a special blue) and noticable.. So you can't hate the color...

The Unity is extremely effective.. until you have been pulled over by one, you can't complain...

Hmm, Not seeing anything here to hate on :weird:

1074S8

Apr 30, 2012
USA/SC

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
1074S8 said:
I really wish i could find a pic of the Chevy Lumina the local Sheriff's Office used in the late 90s.... I'm going hunting

Speaking of Luminas

068.jpg

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i think the michigan car is the ugliest one out of all of these

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.