Vintage Whelen Lightbars Up For Auction Memphis TN 6-4-2011

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
I just talked to jtf027. The auction was not won by en eLb member, sadly. However, some eLb members were able to snag a few items.

I will leave him the honor of telling about the buyer and his plans for the lot.
:)

jtf027

May 21, 2010
Memphis, TN
the entire lot went for $425, but the issue was that the City of Memphis cataloged the lot as "salvage", which it OBVIOUSLY was, but to this auction company, this means that only an Auto Dealer licesed in Shelby County, TN can bid on it.....

Anyway...... long story short. A dealer bought the lot (yes for $425) to salvage the 9 amber bar lights for tow trucks...... LOL

he plans on scrapping the rest, since they arent worth anything as weight. We were able to salvage about 9 bars , about 12 extra domes, some bulbs, etc between Larry and I....... and we have a contact number to call him about buying more parts.

not the BEST end, but probably MUCH more in-line with what I needed, since iF i bought 400 lightbars I would have to use the all to build a house out of........

Oh, and the tow truck operator thinks he will be able to use the amber Whelen 8000s on his rigs.... just as they sit... without any work (did i mention that about 4 of the bars we looked at were FULL of water / wasps / other "things"..... oh and most of the Advantedges were hollow shells..... LOL

LarryC

May 21, 2010
Memphis/Lakeland TN
We started out before eight this morning. We didn't get to leave until after two this afternoon. We are sunburned, dehydrated, stinky, and tired. I have learned my lesson and I will never do that again. I will stick to getting lightbars from here. Thanks to Tommy for sticking it out with me and getting us a few lights.

jtf027

May 21, 2010
Memphis, TN
IF anyone has specific interests I can try to contact the guy and work something out....... Pimp expressed interest in just not letting the domes get crushed...... None of the domes are perfect, but they might make decent display bars..... with alotta work....

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Thats why I didn't go. Radio repair in Memphis gets their use out of lightbars. Many of the useful parts were pulled from these and used to keep other lighbars going through the late 80's, 90's, and beyond.

I am surprised you were able to get 12 decent bars out of the lot, but good luck with them.

David

May 21, 2010
Tennessee
I'd still be interested. Surely one or two display bars could be cobbled together from that big of a pile of parts. The winner shouldn't need to sell very many of those even at an extremely low price to get his $400 back.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Outside of today's auction, they also have locked storage containers that an independent company has been hired to pick up and "dispose" of. Supposedly better stuff, not sure how it is being "disposed" of.

Lightbarnut

Jun 9, 2010
Palatka, Florida.
The above forementioned is why I am not interested in auctions like this. You get the hots for something you see, take time out from something else you wanted to do to go to it, stand around all day in the heat, and then some a$$hole that has no real interest in or use for the stuff gets it. And they always have some more stuff they didn't mention hidden away that no one gets a shot at and just gets trashed. Eff all that. :hissyfit: I agree with Larry. Also, the one AdvantEdge in pic #3 looks complete. No hollow shell there. I can see the strobe reflectors through the lenses. Might want to check on that. :duh:

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
so of the bars and members listed in order are there anything thats available?

jtf027

May 21, 2010
Memphis, TN
the advantedge you mentioned did have the reflectors in that end of it, but the endcap and guts on the other end was gone.

I am going to clean the bars and domes up today when I get home, and see what all can be salvaged, and will let everyone know. But, as of right now, we werent able to get enough stuff to offer much. I will also be contacting the buyer monday and trying to arrange to take a look at everything else (maybe tuesday) to try to get some more stuff.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i wouldnt of mind of having a few of those pole lights

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Jarred J. said:
i wouldnt of mind of having a few of those pole lights

Sign me up as well. Could also use about a half dozen of those spotlights for parts.

cook2890

Sep 27, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
lotsofbars said:
…and who's getting rid of what? I'd still like to get my hands on SOMETHING.

+1! Even an empty shell!

jtf027

May 21, 2010
Memphis, TN
we are contacting the guy again today and trying to work something out.... the problem is that there is no way to know whether a bar is in decent shape or not.... i will prob get rid of one of the 8000s i got, but i think it will take the other 3 to make one good working bar..... just a guess since i havent even really looked at them (been working).

i will post again and let everyone know what I find out

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
I would be interested in a few power supplies from each side (drivers/passenger) as they are different.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
ford-dealer said:
I would be interested in a few power supplies from each side (drivers/passenger) as they are different.

I can't believe you didn't buy the lot Dave. I mean, with all the room you have in that big old Suburban of yours ypu wouldn't have had ANY problem hauling it all back. LOL!!

jtf027

May 21, 2010
Memphis, TN
i have several bars i am willing to get rid of now..... but they are dirty and have been outside. I will be posting something in the Vintage For Sale area soon. I just really dont want to take time to work on them, and they ALL need some sort of work. I am thinking maybe $25 each..... not counting any shipping fees of course.....

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
How about the pole lights? Can you still grab any of them?

Sebi

May 21, 2010
Germany & CA
I´m also still interested in a whelen 8000 lightbar with restoreable domes (not broken ;) ). Is there a red/blue one with takedowns,alleys and rear flashers or just blue/blue ones?

MikeD

Jul 3, 2010
Richmond, MI
Sebi said:
I´m also still interested in a whelen 8000 lightbar with restoreable domes (not broken ;) ). Is there a red/blue one with takedowns,alleys and rear flashers or just blue/blue ones?

I'd be interested in one too for the shelf (doesn't have to work, just restorable) :)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.