what have you used warning lights for besides warning

signal12

May 22, 2010
long island new york
i have used leds by the inch from sho-me for making a little dance club in the basement for my two daughters and their friends as well as using the one inch lenghts as christmas tree lights and have also used them with fiber optic cables to make lighting effects on model railroads

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I sold my dad some white led by the inches and installed them under his cabinets in his house, looks sweet!

May 21, 2010
Corbin, Kentucky
Parties mostly.

I wired up a white tir3 on my sons bike for a head light once.

Used Strobe lights and fog machines during halloween.

Wired a strobe beacon and power supply in dispatch to the equipment cabinet in the back of the building so we would know if someone broke into it.

backdraft51

Sep 29, 2010
Tennessee
before I mounted everything on my car my buddy was having his birthday and I was the DJ. Well I got two spare radio tower sections and I put two side by side and ziptied my whelen edge bar across the top of them. Zip tied my talons on down it the tower. My six head stick on the floor. shooting straight out. it was pretty cool. actually someone asked me to do there party two. I said no sadly cause I wanted my lights in my car. but If i had spare light now I would totally do it again.

For Halloween I put a strobe in each pumpkin in a fog light housing. it was cool. I used my 180 watt Whelen strobe pack. looked cool up close. couldn't see the design from street cause of it being so bright.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
I built a remote controlled "stoplight" that could show any combination of three colors as a shoot/no-shoot indicator for the range.

I also wired up a Fed Sig Siren & Speaker with an old wireless in-car mic to make PA system for the range.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Christmas decorations.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I parked my truck in the middle of a family party and turned on all my lights and damn it looked like a Rave party lol it was sweet :)

Nelson

Dec 23, 2010
TN
I have a red tir3 wired to the brake light on my motorcycle, set on slow flash. People don't see motorcycles and I have been rear ended before. I also use strobes when I teach CERT classes during the triage exercise. They add a little realism to the scene.

chfdbigbad

May 22, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
I used a code 3 420 for a party light in college once. it could be seen from across the street. too bad it attracted the baseball team instead of the girls we were hoping for

WireKing

Dec 16, 2010
USA Southwest
tricked out my 15 month old's Cozy Cruiser.

2 White 3/4" triple LED markers for headlights

2 red for tail lamps

2 pairs of red/blues for warning

and a Code 3 model 2004 led beacon.

The head/tail lights have their own switch. Everything runs off two 12v sealed 7ah batteries in the trunk and the flashing LEDs run off a slimlighter LL flasher board. 20 something patterns. I installed a charging port in the fuel filler slot.

The switches are mounted behind the "eyes", so my son can control it all.

The car has turned so many heads, we entered him in the Christmas parade and he won the grand prize!! LOL. Never thought we'd have so much fun!

The chicks dig it!

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

May 22, 2010
Columbiana County, Ohio
WireKing said:
tricked out my 15 month old's Cozy Cruiser.

2 White 3/4" triple LED markers for headlights

2 red for tail lamps

2 pairs of red/blues for warning

and a Code 3 model 2004 led beacon.

The head/tail lights have their own switch. Everything runs off two 12v sealed 7ah batteries in the trunk and the flashing LEDs run off a slimlighter LL flasher board. 20 something patterns. I installed a charging port in the fuel filler slot.

The switches are mounted behind the "eyes", so my son can control it all.

The car has turned so many heads, we entered him in the Christmas parade and he won the grand prize!! LOL. Never thought we'd have so much fun!

The chicks dig it!

You NEED to post a video of this for us ... Sweet !

WireKing

Dec 16, 2010
USA Southwest
Thanks for the great comments on the cruiser guys!!

I will definetly post a video for you guys! Everyone around here loves this thing. I even built a professional wire harness for it. I have three extra wires in the harness that run from the battery compartment to the dash, as I hope to install a little 8 watt siren in it.

I enjoyed putting it together. My son loves it!

I even thought about putting graphics on it to match my truck.

I'll post a video soon.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
i bring the bars out once and while to parties as well as the beacons. i am alway looking for 120volt stuff

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Put a Responder LED on the mailbox this summer for my wife's garage sale. Ran it off a power supply and extention cord run across the lawn. Got lots of comments from shoppers about it.

One dude right away in the morning was eyeballing/fondling it just as we opened the door and before I'd set it up. Promptly grabbed it from him before he could wander off with it stating "not for sale." :-|

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Nelson said:
I have a red tir3 wired to the brake light on my motorcycle, set on slow flash. People don't see motorcycles and I have been rear ended before. I also use strobes when I teach CERT classes during the triage exercise. They add a little realism to the scene.

Had a TIR3 for a brake light on my Honda ST1300. I have a LIN3 I want to put on the tourpak of my Harley...

Nelson

Dec 23, 2010
TN
Phillyrube said:
Had a TIR3 for a brake light on my Honda ST1300. I have a LIN3 I want to put on the tourpak of my Harley...

They make a difference as brake lights. Here is a video of my Kawasaki. The two lower LEDs run off a switch as emergency lights, but the upper is on slow flash, wired to the brake light.

....attempted to embed the video, but no luck. Is there something I need to do besides paste the embed code?

Who fixed that?.. Thanks:D

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Nelson said:
They make a difference as brake lights. Here is a video of my Kawasaki. The two lower LEDs run off a switch as emergency lights, but the upper is on slow flash, wired to the brake light.

....attempted to embed the video, but no luck. Is there something I need to do besides paste the embed code?

I fixed your video. Click on the "film icon" (6th from left) and paste the you tube movie address there. You have to link the actual movie, not the link that encodes it for web posting.

Nelson

Dec 23, 2010
TN
JohnMarcson said:
I fixed your video. Click on the "film icon" (6th from left) and paste the you tube movie address there. You have to link the actual movie, not the link that encodes it for web posting.

Thanks John!

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I have a bunch of bars that I wire up at parties and the like. They're much better than using some cheesey DJ crap you can get at a pawn shop. Tomar strobe bars and code 3 MX's always make a party better.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
I used Vitalites, and Dietz a 211 at a fair booth display for EMS and CPR. Had an alarm siren rigged with a remote switch to a Resusci-Anne.

I also used some LEDs to indicate a meeting room location for a committee I was hosting.

I love the way others outfitted their kids electric cars. Maybe eLightbars should develop a thread for "Parade" units.

kd0giz

Jun 8, 2010
New Liberty IA
Using an old white dual talon as a headlight on my bike and a red TIR3 as a taillight. all wired to a 12V lantern battery of course.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Mostly Halloween stuff. Every year was different. A good year at a friends house, I installed single strobes in large boxes lined with aluminum to give maximum reflection throw and put several up on the roof, aiming out to the back and wired it all to a random flash power supply. It was powered via remote which I had in my hand. I would fire it up long enough to simulate lighting flashes and I was even impressed, as it actually looked like lighting outside. People kept going outside and were dumfounded when they saw no clouds at all! Kept at it until they all quit drinking. :bonk:

Another year, rigged hidden strobes in bushes next to a beeper that caused people to investigate in the dark yet get blinded when it was turned on (on older kids only), then I chased them down inside a Freddy outfit. They were running blind, freaking out!

Most recent, I did a prop for my daughter's church play, Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The prop was the thing that shrunk the kid. Had 8 Vista strobe heads on that thing.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Yep, Halloween parties and Christmas......

I have an all blue 8 strobe 9M and a custom made all blue LED Arjent (has 10 panels to the front and 1 panel in each I-sect areas, and 10 to the back) that I use for Halloween parties. I usually set the Arjent to steady burn and I set it in the front most area of my pick up bed set at a ~45 degree angle to the sky, and place the dj equipment in front of the bar near the tail gate(it gets too hard on the eyes if it is in flash mode). I have a few other basic blue edges for grave site props.

I got 2 whelen 8000 bars of an old med unit. The one bar is red / green. works great for Christmas

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
jdh said:
I got 2 whelen 8000 bars of an old med unit. The one bar is red / green. works great for Christmas

I'd like to see pics of this. I have a green 8000 dome and it's the ONLY one I've ever seen.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Pimp said:
I'd like to see pics of this. I have a green 8000 dome and it's the ONLY one I've ever seen.

Probably a faded blue dome.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
jdh said:
No, it is green, not faded blue. I need to post some pix.
Give me a day or 2

Awesome.... I thought pimp's was the only one.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
That 8000 bar should go into the Christmas-themed beacons/lightbars thread I made. A perfect canidate :thumbsup: !

In December, I did DJ and lighting for one of my best friend's wedding. I used two Whelen 900 surface mount lights (red/blue combo), mounted in custom made boxes and put a C-clamp on them to hold onto a small truss. Hooked up an alternating flasher and used my 50A power supply to run those. I also incorporated my 115v Tri-Lite MK12 beacons and 120v Federal FireBall II strobe beacon in addition to my other AC-powered disco lights. I don't use lihgtbars/beacons from the 12v side of my collection, those stay put at home. They are collectables you know ;) .

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.