What Is Your "Holy Grail" Item?

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Nice find Tony, can't wait to see your AB....!

For me, it would be something I've never seen in person..

A 500 series Fasttrax....

image.jpg

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
tsquale said:
Well...I can finally cross my list off. A Mars Aurora Borealis is heading my way!!! It is in average condition. The base was at one point painted, dome has a crack in the rear, and the motor may be shot, but it is a very low serial number and has the original stamped tag and it is a FREAKING AURORA BOREALIS!!!

:woot: :woohoo: :2thumbs: :celebrate: :dance: :fangirl:

It ships out Monday so stay tuned folks.

Welcome to the club sir!

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v660_fdny5555_Emergency_20equipmen70dc85ac46543df41b3f562a8a821a9d.jpg

VIDEO

MVI_0798.mp4 Video by fdny5555 | Photobucket

Reactions: WhelenNDealin

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
Crownfire said:
Blue Dietz 211

Blue glass dome Beacon Ray. I have red, clear, and amber domes in glass, just need the blue to complete my collection. Apparently others also share my obsession: recently a blue dome and skirt (no innards) went for over $300 on eBay.

Dietz 211 Hill Light

One down, two to go...View attachment 66777

Member Lt.214 had mercy on me and agreed to trade one of his two blue Dietz domes for a clear one I had. Thank you Chris!

photo-21.jpg

Ben G

May 24, 2010
Ontario, Canada
One of my cats climbed onto my shelf a few years ago, knocked over a FS Model 18 and it landed on my NOS Aurora Borealis lens. Everything shattererd but I am still hopeful I can find a lens. Ben

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Ben G said:
One of my cats climbed onto my shelf a few years ago, knocked over a FS Model 18 and it landed on my NOS Aurora Borealis lens. Everything shattererd but I am still hopeful I can find a lens. Ben

The bigger question is, is the cat providing nourishment for the roses now? I wouldn't know what I'd do if I were in your position, Ben....

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
flahotrod said:
What a lot of work went into these to produce a very limited amount of warning light.

Well, that's California, for you. Minimum warning equipment for a state with the largest motor vehicle traffic. I've never understood why they've always required steady-burn red to the front, with the alternating amber to the rear. At least this package had a Super Chief! :yes:

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
Here's mine, figured I'd post a pic after teasing about the other style not looking like it. And no, I didn't paint a yield sign silver! Still as is the way I got it. That lolli-pop gotta go and will change the speaker to a 66 G.

SANY1085.jpg

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
Liberty703 said:
Here's mine, figured I'd post a pic after teasing about the other style not looking like it. And no, I didn't paint a yield sign silver! Still as is the way I got it. That lolli-pop gotta go and will change the speaker to a 66 G.

The LAFD used those Do-Ray P95 lollipop lights extensively. Do you know the origin of your platter?

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
It did come from CA, but I didn't get any history with it. The gentleman I got it from has two more in his collection (now back across country). Maybe I should research more, but I haven't seen another with this light configuration. I'm a damned Yankee, so some advice on it would be great!

empire5150

Aug 13, 2013
NH
My holy grail has always been the CTS (as boring as that might be to some) but now its one that I have just learned of. Cant remember the model number but it was a type of visibar. California visibar possibly? It had the regular bar but 2 model 184's one rotated and the other had the front steady burn and rear flasher. Any help/info on this? Thanks..

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
Liberty703 said:
It did come from CA, but I didn't get any history with it. The gentleman I got it from has two more in his collection (now back across country). Maybe I should research more, but I haven't seen another with this light configuration. I'm a damned Yankee, so some advice on it would be great!

I have it on good authority that your platter most likely came out of the Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department. Story is that they began using the Do-Ray lights as replacements because they were cheap, but they didn't meet the requirements for the "steady red" , thus the retention of the 4001R sealed beam lamp to the front. LASD, I'm told, used the CP 25 speakers from 1965 on, with a "wail only" PA-20. They used these platters until the Twinsonics took over. In addition to the PA 20, they also ran B&M Super Chiefs and Federal C5GB sirens right up to the Twinsonic era.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Liberty703 said:

I'd keep the lollipop and find another one like it to replace the red sealed-beam light. I've seen a number of those platters with the lollipops and a siren or speaker.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
My Holy Grail item would be a truck and the equipment. My best-ever workhorse ambulance was a 1971 low top Suburban converted by the Gordon K. Allen Co. in Dallas, TX. GKA was the longtime Superior Coach dealer for the Southwest, but also built thousands of ambulances from the time they opened in the late 40s or early 50s until Gordon K. Allen, Sr., opened the short-lived Modular Ambulance Corp. in nearby Grand Prairie, TX. They started out building on sedan-deliveries and then station wagons, and then on both low top and high top Suburban platforms in the '70s.

The most common conversion was a center-mounted Q flanked by either two or four DoRay lollipop lights with a red17 beacon behind the siren. Of course, they would equip to customer specs as well; and I've seen some interesting configurations built for their customers over the years. One of the most interesting conversions they did I've mentioned elsewhere on the board: a 1966 Pontiac station wagon ambulance that was built for the Longview, TX Fire Dept. It came with five red Dietz 211 beacons and three roof-mounted Qs! It had twin batteries and twin high-output alternators to power all of the "toys".

My 1971 Suburban ambulance came equipped with a center-mounted Q flanked by four DoRay lollipops (two red and two blue) and the red 17 in the rear. It was sold new in 1971 to Black and Clark Funeral Home in Dallas, who only ran the truck as an ambulance until 1972. In 1972 Sparkman-Hillcrest Funeral Home won the ambulance contract for all of Dallas County, "prying" it away from the Dudley Hughes Funeral Home who had maintained the contract for many years. Because of Dallas County's large size, the contracting funeral home (or ambulance co.) traditionally sub-contracted with some of the outlying services. But in 1972, Black and Clark was not one of the sub-contractors, so they ended up having to discontinue their ambulance service. But they kept the Suburban in service as a first-call vehicle until I bought it in the spring of 1981. It had just under 60,000 mi. on it at the time, and I kept it in service until 1989. As I said above, it was workhorse, and I've wanted to find another one since. I'm sure there's one out there somewhere, I just haven't spotted it!

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
Not for sale, but yeah "Holy Grail" Pics from a private collection.

SANY0135.jpg

SANY0136.jpg

SANY0138.jpg

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
empire5150 said:
My holy grail has always been the CTS (as boring as that might be to some) but now its one that I have just learned of. Cant remember the model number but it was a type of visibar. California visibar possibly? It had the regular bar but 2 model 184's one rotated and the other had the front steady burn and rear flasher. Any help/info on this? Thanks..

The CT-1 is what you are looking for.

Check the 3rd one down from this post.

http://elightbars.org/forums/f18/post-pics-california-light-bars-2375/#post23340

This is CFD125's collection. He has an amazing collection.

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
Skip Goulet said:
Is that Mars light an old DL8 or an early 888? Haven't seen one of those in many years.
Those pics were from 2 years ago, just as the gentleman was packing up to move back across country. I think it's an early 888. We had two trucks at the shop with them, he got one and I have the other.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Liberty703 said:
Those pics were from 2 years ago, just as the gentleman was packing up to move back across country. I think it's an early 888. We had two trucks at the shop with them, he got one and I have the other.

Nice! Both used the same housings and lenses, but the DL8s had bulb-reflector assemblies, not sealed-beams that the 888s use. I latched on to an old DL8 many years ago that lasted us several years....until it was stolen, along with a bunch of other equipment....and a Suburban ambulance (all at the same time).

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
jmccarthy said:
New tech industries lightstorm always thought they looked sweet

They had some neat lighting equipment and a small, compact electronic siren that was nice. The only reason that I think that they didn't last was because their mgt. was crappy. I had bought one of the sirens and had paid for it COD. Then I discovered that some of my checks were stolen, causing a bunch of stuff to bounce. So I called NewTech and told them what was going on,and that to be safe I would send the siren back, which I did. I thought it was fine, until I found out that their mgt. processed the check anyway and file on me anyway...long after they got the siren back. And when I went to file countercharges, they were gone!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Mustang302 said:
My holy grail item would be a set of can lights from Lapd..with the chrome speaker...just like Adam-12

The CP25 speakers aren't that hard to find. I have two: one with the roof mount and the other for a VisiBar. The TRIO can lights are becoming harder to find but are still out there. Kevn at B&M Sirens occasionally has them available.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
farmboy said:
my holy grail would be a unitrol omega 90 siren. not too many people have them and id like to find one :crazy:

Omega 90 amplifiers are a dime a dozen. They're so common that I had a hard time moving the last batch I got.

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
crescentstar69 said:
What is the vintage item you are most looking for? The one item you dream of most? The item you would sell a kidney to own? (Are you starting to get the idea? :lol: )

My ultimate item is a 1967 era Sireno Projector 75 watt electronic siren. I had one in mint condition in 1985, but as a dumb kid, I traded it for something. Of course, I don't remember what I traded it for.

My second is also Sireno. A "wobble" beacon, where one light wiggles as the beacon rotates. If only Marcson would share that damn alarm code................

I need the Steady Red, Unity Housing with the rear stud mount to restore my F/S Model 17-C

I've been looking for about 7 years for the housing.

My Second would be a Code 3 XL Bar with the rear amber cut out circuit, (circa 1980 LAFD). I forget the exact option name of that specif Code e XL option, (CRS kicking in...lol)

RJ

drb

May 23, 2010
Southern California
Rhinojoe said:
I need the Steady Red, Unity Housing with the rear stud mount to restore my F/S Model 17-C

I've been looking for about 7 years for the housing.

My Second would be a Code 3 XL Bar with the rear amber cut out circuit, (circa 1980 LAFD). I forget the exact option name of that specif Code e XL option, (CRS kicking in...lol)

RJ

SelectAlert

Big D

Feb 22, 2014
Croswell, MI 48422
Quasi Thread Resurrection!!

Holy Grail for me is a NOS Unity RV26 Unibeacon with red spitfire dome. Thanks to Chargerlighting, I'm as close as I'm going to get for a while.

I still want each RV Unibeacon model made. 15, 25, 26, 45, and 46.

I know where to get a brand new RV15 no problem. Just bought a RV25 off PinballCharlie I'm going to fix and put a Blue dome on.

Getting ready to buy a well worn RV26 with (i think) a worn Spitfire dome off Chargerlighting I'll have to totally go through. Like buying a rusted out Caddy ambulance and making the best of it.

Still going to keep looking for an affordable RV45 and a 46. as my budget allows.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
my holy grail would be a unitrol omega 90 siren. not too many people have them and id like to find one :crazy:
I sold a dozen or so of them on here a few years ago. I bought several lots of them on eBay. Don't give up too easy... they ARE out there. 

unitrolamps.jpg

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana

post-12426-0-44058200-1404609271.jpg post-12426-0-84059100-1404609272.jpg

One of these has always been on my list! I have NEVER seen one for sale on here that I can remember. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fireman5340

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.