Who said fire trucks had to be red?

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Paint schemes don't matter to me. I'm more concerned about sirens. Modern fire engines should have electronic sirens. :mrgreen:

cutiger

Jun 11, 2010
SC
Wailer said:
Paint schemes don't matter to me. I'm more concerned about sirens. Modern fire engines should have electronic sirens. :mrgreen:
:roll: :roll: :roll:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
cutiger said:
:roll: :roll: :roll:

That way they are 30% more quiet ... and don't wake me up

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Wailer said:
Sorry, but the Federal Q says "fire truck coming, get out of the way!". Electronic sirens are for ambulances and police cars. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. :D

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
stansdds said:
Sorry, but the Federal Q says "fire truck coming, get out of the way!". Electronic sirens are for ambulances and police cars. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. :D
I prefer mechanical and Euro-style double-horn siren tones... NOT the new Dutch 3-tone sirens those are HORRIBLE beyond belief, but these:

There are a few electronic siren tones that I really like but I don't know enough about audible equipment to be able to say more than that.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
stansdds said:
Electronic sirens are for ambulances and police cars. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. :D

Nope. Electronic sirens are for fire engines too. Police, fire and ambulance services should all use the same type of siren.

The only reason why mechanical sirens are used on modern fire apparatus is because of tradition. I'm hoping the tradition will die soon, then I can get a Q2b siren dirt cheap and add it to my collection. :mrgreen:

cutiger

Jun 11, 2010
SC
Wailer said:
Nope. Electronic sirens are for fire engines too. Police, fire and ambulance services should all use the same type of siren.

The only reason why mechanical sirens are used on modern fire apparatus is because of tradition. I'm hoping the tradition will die soon, then I can get a Q2b siren dirt cheap and add it to my collection. :mrgreen:
Way to shoot down his opinion.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
cutiger said:
Way to shoot down his opinion.
I'm used to it. Being a bit of an old fart you become accustomed to having your opinions being considered outdated or invalid. I know I can hear a Q from a greater distance than most electronic sirens and when I hear a Q I know exactly what it means.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Wailer said:
I can tell a fire truck apart from an ambulance from miles away without even seeing it - the ambulances use a Whelen (?) siren and the fire trucks use a Q or EQ2B. If it's a siren that's not a Q or the ambulance siren, it's a cop car. Simple.

I really like the sound of mechanical ones and those European two-tone horn sirens... Plus there are some early electronic ones that have a rather inconsistent tone, I like some of those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=VxodcGXuVCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=BuH38FO ... re=related

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
stansdds said:
Being a bit of an old fart you become accustomed to having your opinions being considered outdated or invalid. I know I can hear a Q from a greater distance than most electronic sirens and when I hear a Q I know exactly what it means.

I've been listening to electronic sirens for forty years, and I can remember when the city fire department ran mechanical sirens. The first trucks with electronic sirens went into service in 1970, and by 1982 mechanical sirens were phased out completely. All trucks were red, then from the late 1970s up until the early 2000s all new trucks were lime green. Now all of the newer trucks are red and white.

nerdly_dood said:
If it's a siren that's not a Q or the ambulance siren...

Q sirens were common on ambulances in the 1960s and 1970s.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Wailer said:
Q sirens were common on ambulances in the 1960s and 1970s.
But they're not anymore, and I wasn't around in the 60s or 70s.

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
engine 561.jpg[/attachment:7ftknkzt]

491153865_engine  31_7a.jpg

491153868_tower 31_5a.jpg

woods 56.jpg

engine 56.jpg

brush 56.jpg

chief 561.jpg

engine 561.jpg

May 22, 2010
MI, USofA
hitechrednex said:
engine 561.jpg[/attachment:13yxzao2]

unless I'm missing something, those are all red? which is the exact opposite of the intent of this thread? ;)

and take the siren discussion somewhere else, we're talking about weird colors for firetrucks here ... :p

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
real firetrucks are red, yellow just becomes hard to look at, but the purple one is kinda interestiing...

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
hitechrednex said:
real firetrucks are red,

Actually real fire trucks carry personnel and equipment to a scene to help people.

The color red has nothing to do if it's a real fire truck or not. No offense to you cause others have said it but that whole statement gets under my skin. People around my neck of the woods ALWAYS say that and I know it's all meant in good fun and all that "The yeller ones aren't ripe yet" and so on.

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
it is just a matter of tradition, nothing more. honestly, i have nothing against the other colors, i just love the tradition of the fire service

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Fluffy126577 said:
Actually real fire trucks carry personnel and equipment to a scene to help people.
LOL

Fluffy126577 said:
The color red has nothing to do if it's a real fire truck or not. No offense to you cause others have said it but that whole statement gets under my skin. People around my neck of the woods ALWAYS say that and I know it's all meant in good fun and all that "The yeller ones aren't ripe yet" and so on.
For the most part I do like fire trucks that aren't red, but I really don't like the vast majority of emergency vehicles that use pink or purple. The only kind of purple I like is a dark metallic sort of purple, like this.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Fluffy126577 said:
The color red has nothing to do if it's a real fire truck or not. No offense to you cause others have said it but that whole statement gets under my skin.

I'll modify this statement. The type of siren has nothing to do if it's a real fire truck or not.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
SO I found this gem early this morning. :lol: :lol:

ai94.photobucket.com_albums_l115_Derendall_What.jpg

Anyone see anything wrong with this picture?? :shock: :lol:

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
Yes... Just one.. LOL

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Fluffy126577 said:
Yes... Just one.. LOL
Then I'll pick four.

1) the damn thing's pink!

2) the ad on the side

3) amber lights on the side? i thought only blue was allowed visible to the side in the UK...

4) is that cardboard boxes in the back? wtf.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
nerdly_dood said:
Then I'll pick four.

1) the damn thing's pink!

2) the ad on the side

3) amber lights on the side? i thought only blue was allowed visible to the side in the UK...

4) is that cardboard boxes in the back? wtf.

I would assume the cardboard in the back is there because it's a parade and maybe just holding stuff in there to pass out?

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
On closer scrutiny I see that the hinges to the back door are red, as is the mounting for the step underneath the back door.

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
she ain't red, but she is sweet lookin'

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.