Wilson LED conversions - multiple models and repair

mixmansc

Jun 25, 2013
South Carolina
PM sent on a few Whelen modules I need to get fixed up.... :) Pretty simple smallish job. I did also find we have at least one Whelen 600 tail light with about 8 diodes out but it is one of the older fully epoxied ones. Kinda doubt that would be worth messing with.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
I feel I need to update but there's not much to say. My original light is still burning bright. Around 4000 steady burn hours now. Non stop.

Been toying with the idea of a basic tir3, tir6 light. Would be perfect for inside lightbar add on.

Was also toying with the idea of duplicating the whelen sxtled super takedowns. 6 over 6 in the same size as a 500 series, as well as make it slide in the grooves. That would be 36watts of power per module. Could also make it a dual color or take down with color.

If anyone has any ideas, requests, or something you'd like to see done feel free to contact me or post here. Also anyone that would ever want to meet me personally I'm always down for a new face to meet.

Wilson

swbcvfd09

May 26, 2010
Ding Dong Texas
disassembling whelen 400s.

I was reading through your topic and seen that whelens 400 lin6/6 was a possible issue of pulling them apart I thought I share my experience and no I didn't read ever page to find out if this was answered already. I have done this my self and have made red/blue from mixed depopulated dps modules.

What is needed is your oven set to 200 degree and a cookie sheet. pull the 4 screws out of the module on the back and pull the diffuser/ optic out of the module. then set the module face down and let stand for 3-5 minutes be cautious of doing this it will cook the chrome and make it shrink and loose its shiny appearance, after the time you find done pull the module and pull the back plate off from the front chrome housing and the glue will loosen and separate with quit ease if it doesn't you didn't cook it long enough. while the unit is still hot so to speak use a pick to dig around the edges and the middle with the two halves meet and you can remove the rest of the glue if your heart desires edit and remove the glue from the 4 screws that hold the led modules in place and typical the glue wants to separate as a whole which I thought was cool, the more glue taken off the better. I have done this my self and works just fine if any mimis want to stir the pot when our new truck arrives today I can post a video of the dps bar converted to a standard style lightbar.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Terms of service: if you do not pay, you do not get your lights back. This excludes if we have an open communication about an issue. As always I want a 100% happy customer. I will do my best to make sure you are, but please be aware, I'm not making hardly anything off these. Just enough to cover my materials.

You have 30 days to pay. If there is no communication for that period I reserve the right to do with them what I please to recoupe my money and time spent.

I ship via USPS. And only USPS.

Payments will be PayPal, USPS money order, or cash in box. I feel comfortable with these payments. I'm not going to grab and run, trust me. I've had probably $30,000 worth of lights come in and out. I have my own lights, I don't need yours.

This will eventually be added to the first post and updated as necessary.

On a lighter note, I am going to be adding to my opening post with a description of all the different diodes I encounter to help you more easily identify what model your light uses. I'm going to go from a model price breakdown straight to per diode cost. I do this already with 3/4 of the prices so there won't be hardly any change. Just less confusing and will be more uniform across different companies.

Reactions: Retired1

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
Speaking of your terms... Did I pay you yet for my light??? I can't find a transaction in my Paypal, but ive sold a bunch of stuff on eBay recently so I have a boat load of transactions. If not let me know and ill get my paypal out ASAP! Thanks bud!

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
Another satisfied customer!!! Sent out a red/blue talon! It came back Red/Clear as promised! Excellent!! If you are on the fence about this, get off of it! haha Great service here!!!

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Huge huge huge huge update to my opening post with pictures. Hopefully people can get a better understanding what's going on and answer a few questions. Also changed how lights are going to be priced. Most prices are staying the same. Just easier to figure out the cost.

Wilson

Reactions: TritonBoulder47

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I feel I need to update but there's not much to say. My original light is still burning bright. Around 4000 steady burn hours now. Non stop.

Been toying with the idea of a basic tir3, tir6 light. Would be perfect for inside lightbar add on.

Was also toying with the idea of duplicating the whelen sxtled super takedowns. 6 over 6 in the same size as a 500 series, as well as make it slide in the grooves. That would be 36watts of power per module. Could also make it a dual color or take down with color.

If anyone has any ideas, requests, or something you'd like to see done feel free to contact me or post here. Also anyone that would ever want to meet me personally I'm always down for a new face to meet.

Wilson
Any update on this? I'm thinking I could use some of those TD's you mention in the quote above for my upcoming awesomeness build.....

Sidenote- I can also confirm some of the photos in the updated first post of this thread are not working as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Unlisted- its on t he backburner. Still on my mind but busisness is too busy at the moment

Txfire- received and replied

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
My Liberty should be coming Thursday. I will have 6 heads plus two corners that I will need switched from blue to red. What is your lead time for swaps? Not sure how many LEDs per head yet.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Its been brought to my attention and that I might add I can change the whelen halo to any color as well!

rohmers

May 24, 2010
MA
SO here is a review of work and experience with Wilson. I sent him a SOS Intersector that had some burnt out LEDs that SOS wouldnt fix. It took about two weeks total with shipping for Wilson to repair and return. They are near perfect, only thing you can tell is they are different color of diode when not lite up. When activated, you cant tell the difference. I will send more light to him to see what I can change and/or fix that i once thought was junk.

Thanks again,

Chris

Reactions: wilsonbr90

needforspeed

May 23, 2010
Massachusetts
I just had 20, triple diode federal signal cuda modules updated..

My experience was;

Turn around time was two days plus time for me to ship and get back. 

A week total start to finish.

High quality solder work and thermal paste added to boot.

All lights were significantly brighter and all colors were saturated and matching.

Ran the modules upon return, warm to touch but not hot...should last a good long while.

This service was more than well worth it to me.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I need to send in a couple of Code 3, 3LED TriCore Takedowns for a color change..... I got a pair of SXTDLEDs that will be in my Defender and all old TDs will be converted to Red & Blue. Hopefully.....

Reactions: wilsonbr90

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
hey Wilson. Do you know if you can do tricore light heads. Such as the one sound in the defender. I have a 47 inch defender that I need converted to red and 2 ambers.here is a picture of what the light head looks like it is a really small LED.how much per led for the code3?

Also are tir3 dominator heads doable.

IMG_20140922_135302773.jpg

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Dominator yes. And I have no clue what those leds are. If anyone with product knowledge can figure out the trade/brand name and model of those I might be able to track down a supplier. Odds are price wise it won't be worth it.

I do have the tools though to do it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.