Fire/EMS Vehicle Photo Hunt. Small Addition 01/03/2016!

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Western Turnpike is a road in the Town so that's where the name comes from. There is already a Department called Guilderland EMS which handles the paramedic side of treatment and that department used to be part of the police department staffed with officers.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Colonie EMS

Unit: 652

CEMS652 (2).JPG

NYS Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services - Office of Fire Protection and Control

Units: 2024/2025

OFPC----(2024).JPG

OFPC----(2025).JPG

109th Airlift Wing Fire Department

Unit: 719 Fire Chief

ANGB719.JPG

109th Airlift Wing Emergency Management

Unit: ??

AF08B02930.JPG

Reactions: Skip Goulet

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Copake Fire District

Unit: Truck 145

COPAKE145.jpg

Troy Fire Department

Unit: Reserve Engine 7

TROYE7.JPG

Troy Fire Department

Unit: Reserve Rescue Squad

TROYRRS.JPG

US Forest Service Fire

Unit: Engine 656 Minnesota-Chippewa National Forest

MN-CRF.JPG

NYS Department of Environmental Conservation

Unit: 4086 Spill Response

DEC4086.JPG

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Dalton Fire Department

Unit: Engine 3

DALTONE3.JPG

Knoll's Atomic Power Laboratory

Unit: Engine/Ladder 811

KAPLEL811.JPG

Middle Granville Fire Department

Unit: Engine 10

MIDDLEGRANVILLE10.JPG

Tuxedo Joint Fire District 

Sterling Forest Fire Company

Unit: Engine 569

STERLINGFOREST569.JPG

NYS Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services - Office of Fire Protection and Control

Unit: 3337 (Office Administrator's Car)

OFPC3337.JPG

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Charleston Fire Department

Unit: Truck 3

CHARLESTONT3.JPG

Middletown Fire Department - Ontario Hose Co.

Unit: Engine 5

MIDDLETOWNE5.JPG

Nassau Fire Department

Unit: Squad 22

NASSAUS22.JPG

North Adams Fire Department

Unit: Engine 3

NORTHADAMSE3.JPG

Thomas Corners Fire Department

Unit: Engine 274

THOMASCORNERSE274.JPG

Albany County Sheriff's Office - EMS Unit

Unit: 807 Medic 3

ACSO807.JPG

NYS Department Health - Bureau of EMS

Unit: 3515

DOH3515.JPG

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Thomas Corners Fire Department
Unit: Engine 274

attachicon.gif
THOMASCORNERSE274.JPG
Looks like a Federal model 28 mechanical siren mounted in the bumper of Engine 274.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Looks like a Federal model 28 mechanical siren mounted in the bumper of Engine 274.
Nope, it's a C5GB.  However, it wouldn't have surprised me to see a 28 mounted like that.  FDNY used a lot of 28s on their equipment where you might've expected to see a Q or maybe a C5G, etc.

I ran across an old fire truck many years ago at a government surplus outfit that had a 28 mounted into the nose.  That rather baffled me at the time as that was long before I ever saw pix of FDNY's trucks that used 28s.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Also a side note, any mechanical siren seen on any FDNY rigs were installed by that house and none never came with them.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I love those black on red color schemes, but I'm always confused when non-aerials are designated "Truck" (ie CFD Truck 3)

Also a side note, any mechanical siren seen on any FDNY rigs were installed by that house and none never came with them.
+1. Q's and company logos/graphics are usually mounted by the guys that ride that rig. I wish that more departments (within reason, of course) would have company logos/Mottos on their rigs to show their pride in where they work (I also like how left sleeve of their class A's are dept patch, while right sleeve is usually company patch)PS just to confirm...although they're technically under the sheriffs office, are the personnel who drive the fly cars simply non-LEO paramedics?

I always find it bizarre when EMS or fire personnel fall under a LE agency

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Nope, it's a C5GB.  However, it wouldn't have surprised me to see a 28 mounted like that.  FDNY used a lot of 28s on their equipment where you might've expected to see a Q or maybe a C5G, etc.

I ran across an old fire truck many years ago at a government surplus outfit that had a 28 mounted into the nose.  That rather baffled me at the time as that was long before I ever saw pix of FDNY's trucks that used 28s.
A 28 is pretty loud too.  Where I live the city FD had some 1950s and 1960s apparatus still running in the 1970s, and there were a few trucks with 66Gs and 66Ls on them - I can still remember how loud and shrill they were.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
A 28 is pretty loud too.  Where I live the city FD had some 1950s and 1960s apparatus still running in the 1970s, and there were a few trucks with 66Gs and 66Ls on them - I can still remember how loud and shrill they were.
I agree.  While it looked like crap, when I worked at Rix Funeral Home in Odessa back in the mid-60s, our '58 Chevy wagon had a 28 roof-mounted.  It was a 6-volt siren, and I was always afraid that it would go out on us since the '58 was a 12-volt car, but it was still working when the car was retired and the siren removed....and suddenly vanished!  I saw one other roof-mounted 28.  It was on a '62 Mercury wagon operated by the funeral home in Lamesa, TX ( a small town halfway between Midland and Lubbock).

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Boght Community Fire District

Unit: Car 12 (2nd Asst Chief)

BOGHT12.JPG

Colonie Village Fire Company

Unit: M409

COLONIEVILLAGE409.JPG

Clifton Park - Halfmoon Emergency Corps

Unit: 1972 (Supervisor)

CPHMEMS1972.JPG

Guilderland EMS

Unit: 32

GEMS32.JPG

Colonie EMS

Unit: 621

CEMS621.JPG

Carman Fire Deparmtent

Unit: Truck 132

CARMANT132.JPG

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Boght Community Fire District

Unit: Car 12 (2nd Asst Chief)

attachicon.gif
BOGHT12.JPG

Colonie Village Fire Company

Unit: M409

attachicon.gif
COLONIEVILLAGE409.JPG

Clifton Park - Halfmoon Emergency Corps

Unit: 1972 (Supervisor)

attachicon.gif
CPHMEMS1972.JPG

Guilderland EMS

Unit: 32

attachicon.gif
GEMS32.JPG

Colonie EMS

Unit: 621

attachicon.gif
CEMS621.JPG

Carman Fire Deparmtent

Unit: Truck 132

attachicon.gif
CARMANT132.JPG
Just curious....surely that Halfmoon Supervisor's unit is not a transportable ambulance is it?   I didn't think that low top ambulances were allowed anywhere anymore.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
You're not serious right.....? The fact that it says Supervisor........

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
You're not serious right.....? The fact that it says Supervisor........
I was quite serious.  It may say "Supervisor" but it also has big "Ambulance" decals on the side.   If they did that here, they'd be in serious trouble.  Texas law has gotten very picky about "advertising" a vehicle as an ambulance.  Putting the word "ambulance" on a vehicle according to state law suggests that the vehicle is being used as an ambulance: whether it is or not.   A friend of mine who has an old coach-type ambulance still had ambulance signs on the unit that still showed the name of the ambulance company that originally owned the car.  He was required to remove those signs because he was "advertising" it as an ambulance.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I really like 1972's graphics a lot

I was quite serious. It may say "Supervisor" but it also has big "Ambulance" decals on the side. If they did that here, they'd be in serious trouble. Texas law has gotten very picky about "advertising" a vehicle as an ambulance. Putting the word "ambulance" on a vehicle according to state law suggests that the vehicle is being used as an ambulance: whether it is or not. A friend of mine who has an old coach-type ambulance still had ambulance signs on the unit that still showed the name of the ambulance company that originally owned the car. He was required to remove those signs because he was "advertising" it as an ambulance.
That's totally different than this. I'm assuming your friend was using a retired ambulance for non-EMS reasons, hence why I could foresee the state having an issue with the graphics. However, I don't think TX would have a problem with this particular supervisor fly car having the word "ambulance" on the sides b/c (although it may not transport) it is still an EMS/Ambulance agency-operated vehicle

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I know in the UK all their SUVs have huge AMBULANCE print on the side doors and Quebec's Supervisor Tahoes have AMBULANCE incorporated into the new Battenburg graphics.

attachicon.gif
2912756130_a796d2de0a_o.jpg

attachicon.gif
14567240780_c1323caa25_o.jpg
I love the graphics on that Quebec unit.   There are some places outside this country where Suburban-type vehicles are still allowed for transport. Crestline in Canada still builds them....mostly for export outside of Canada.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Buskirk Fire Department

Unit: Engine 5-6

BUSKIRKE56.JPG

Stockbridge Fire Department

Unit: Engine 4

STOCKBRIDGEE4.JPG

Reedy Creek Fire Rescue Emergency Services

Unit: Medic Unit

REEDYCREEKMARC.JPG

REEDYCREEKMARCside.JPG

Knoll's Atomic Power Laboratory Fire Department

Unit: ATV

KAPLATV.JPG

New York Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services, Office of Fire Protection and Control

Unit: 5170 (2023)

OFPC5170(2023).JPG

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Buskirk Fire Department

Unit: Engine 5-6

attachicon.gif
BUSKIRKE56.JPG

Stockbridge Fire Department

Unit: Engine 4

attachicon.gif
STOCKBRIDGEE4.JPG

Reedy Creek Fire Rescue Emergency Services

Unit: Medic Unit

attachicon.gif
REEDYCREEKMARC.JPG

attachicon.gif
REEDYCREEKMARCside.JPG

Knoll's Atomic Power Laboratory Fire Department

Unit: ATV

attachicon.gif
KAPLATV.JPG

New York Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services, Office of Fire Protection and Control

Unit: 5170 (2023)

attachicon.gif
OFPC5170(2023).JPG
I love those new little Ford vans.  I was wondering when someone would get around to putting one into service.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
It's basically one of those golfcarts or gators you see at sporting events or fairs. There is one at each park in Disney World.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA

Units: Various

OFPC1431(4040).JPG

OFPC1431(4040)side.JPG

OFPC1431(4040)rear.JPG

OFPC1433.JPG

OFPC4079.JPG

OFPC5279.JPG

OFPC5905.JPG

Niskayuna Fire District 2

Unit: C-417

NFD1C417.JPG

M-416

NFD1M416.JPG

R-410

NFD1R410.JPG

Wilmington Fire Department

Unit: Van 1

WILMINGTONVAN1.JPG

Taghkanic Fire Department

UNit: Rescue 56-9

TAGHKANICR569.JPG

Clifton Park Halfmoon Ambulance Corp

Unit: 1952

IMG_4331.JPG

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I like the new OFPC interceptor utilities (minus the crooked-looking rear spoiler lights). When did they start getting their own NYS tags?

The CPH ambo looks nice, but it looks like a box that size is screaming for a larger chassis than the ford E-series (IMO)

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
I like the new OFPC interceptor utilities (minus the crooked-looking rear spoiler lights). When did they start getting their own NYS tags?
Every state, county, local gov, and other public entities are getting new plates this year. They'll each have the name of the agency on them just like the one you cited.

For example:

Somewhere recently here on ELB, we had a bit of a discussion on this. Drew had some good early info on this, and I am seeing more of them on local government vehicles around here now. (I can't find the thread at the moment.) Our ambulance is due for new plates by the end of the year and I'll post up a pic of that plate when it arrives.

Reactions: lafd55

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
It amazes me everytime I visit this thread how many state vehicles you have in fire service in NY.   While there is a state fire marshal's office in Texas, I don't think I've ever seen a marked vehicle from their office.  As far as I know, almost all fire legislation is on the local level; but I'm sure there are state laws, too.  If the state has any marked vehicles, they'd be nice to see.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
It amazes me everytime I visit this thread how many state vehicles you have in fire service in NY.   While there is a state fire marshal's office in Texas, I don't think I've ever seen a marked vehicle from their office.  As far as I know, almost all fire legislation is on the local level; but I'm sure there are state laws, too.  If the state has any marked vehicles, they'd be nice to see.
The main offices for all of the State Agencies are in Albany so it's easy to find them.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Spoken to the pt: Sir, would you mind folding your legs underneath yourself as we load you?
I would agree that they might be a bit cramped. But they would have a bit more headroom, I would wager, than some of the station wagon ambulances I worked out of.  Being short of stature, the guys I used to work with got a kick out of my being able to stand up in a low top van ambulance, where they still had to crouch a bit!  Touche! :lol:

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
I would agree that they might be a bit cramped. But they would have a bit more headroom, I would wager, than some of the station wagon ambulances I worked out of.  Being short of stature, the guys I used to work with got a kick out of my being able to stand up in a low top van ambulance, where they still had to crouch a bit!  Touche! :lol:
ac2.staticflickr.com_6_5181_5653733540_27592da29c_z.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Now that's my kind of ambulance!  Any idea who built this one?  The sedan-delivery ambulances were quite popular all over Texas in the '50s and early '60s.  There were a number of companies who built on sedan-delivery platforms, two of which were here in Texas: the Gordon K. allen Co. in Dallas, who was also the parent co. of the relatively short-lived Modular Ambulance Corp, and Summers Coach in Duncanville.   In their earlier years both companies built on both sedan-delivery and station wagon platforms: going to vans and Suburbans in the '70s.  Summers was the parent co. of the too-short-lived Trinity Coach Co.  Trinity only lasted from 1965 to 1968, building solely on Buick platforms. After Flxible shut down for good in '65 some of their tooling went to Trinity while the rest went to National Coach in Indiana.   I had a 1967 short National Buick ambulance that I bought for a whopping $100 in 1975 from a long-since-gone coach co. in Wichita, KS.  The Buick had the 434 Wildcat engine and would scooooot!

One very nice home-brew sedan-delivery ambulance was owned by Thomas Funeral Home here in Midland. It was a 1960 chocolate brown that they bought in the fall of 1959. It was the first ambulance in these parts to sport twin Beacon Ray lights on the roof, and had a Q between the two beacons and two red Unity lights cowl-mounted.  I got to ride on the last run that ambulance made for Thomas, as they shut down in the summer of '60 and reopened in the winter of 1962.  I had heard back then that the Ford and Thomas' '57 Plymouth wagon ambulance ended up in AZ, but where I never knew.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Some nice utility & chief vehicles. First time I've seen a dept-owned, marked Toyota (love the tundra). The older model explorer kinda looks tacky the way they mounted the PB lights; a little black spray paint could go a long way for them

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Arvin Hart Fire Company

Unit: M 11-4

ARVINHARTM114.JPG

Centerville Fire District

Unit: R 19-14

CENTERVILLER1914.JPG

Verdoy Fire Department

Unit: Car 63 2nd Assistant Chief

VERDOYC63.JPG

Troy Fire Department

Unit: Spare Truck

TROYSPARETOWER.JPG

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
MILLERPLACE51911.jpg

So you have to pull the van up perpendicular to the traffic to use the TA?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
The Arvin Hart Fire Company truck (although nice) reminds me why Setina is annoying me lately...almost all of the new LE installs in my area (mostly caprices with whelen packages) have front-facing and side-facing linz6 that are all VERTICALLY-mounted &, to make things worse, they went with split R/B linz6. I love the setina bars and side intersection, but I hate how they're factory-mounting the intersection lights vertically

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
The Arvin Hart Fire Company truck (although nice) reminds me why Setina is annoying me lately...almost all of the new LE installs in my area (mostly caprices with whelen packages) have front-facing and side-facing linz6 that are all VERTICALLY-mounted &, to make things worse, they went with split R/B linz6. I love the setina bars and side intersection, but I hate how they're factory-mounting the intersection lights vertically
Since the photo a Whelen "Back Rack" was added with scene/flood lighting.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.