Lifetime LED Lights Headlight Replacement Bulbs

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Zapp Brannigan said:
I trust a lot of people on this site, and their word as well. That being said, its not a matter of not taking one's work, but I would really like to see Lifetime LED's statement regarding this issue. Would hooking up one of these to a flasher void a warranty, or, God forbid something happens, would they still warranty it?

This is one reason I am going to torture test them for ad long as I said.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
MEVS06 said:
This is one reason I am going to torture test them for ad long as I said.

MEVS06 said:
PS:
I will be torture testing a set on a HLF for the next 3 months straight with no off time to see if they will work well or not. I have been called a crazy SOB when I do my testing. Lol

I wonder about the constant on/off, not just the constant run time. I think both tests would be valuable information. I still applaud you doing the test yourself!

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Zapp Brannigan said:
I wonder about the constant on/off, not just the constant run time. I think both tests would be valuable information. I still applaud you doing the test yourself!

Nate, you know me brother. I'm not going to sell something I would not use on my personal vehicle, I'm not just a sales man, I actually use the equipment I sell!

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
For everyone who has been concerned that a HLF would void the warranty. Here is your answer.

Question: Would hooking up the LED headlights to a headlight flasher void the warranty? My customers in the emergency services field would really like to know.

Answer: No. Warranty is still good.

Here is a screen shot from my mobile Facebook message from Lifetime LED.

uploadfromtaptalk1386351054614.jpg

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
MEVS06 said:
Nate, you know me brother. I'm not going to sell something I would not use on my personal vehicle, I'm not just a sales man, I actually use the equipment I sell!

Neve doubted you would, I know you use what you sell.

MEVS06 said:
For everyone who has been concerned that a HLF would void the warranty. Here is your answer.

Question: Would hooking up the LED headlights to a headlight flasher void the warranty? My customers in the emergency services field would really like to know.

Answer: No. Warranty is still good.

Here is a screen shot from my mobile Facebook message from Lifetime LED.

Good enough for me! Nice job checking in with the company. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
MEVS06 said:
You got questions, I got answers. What else would you expect from elightbars original Lifetime LED dealer?

Free demos? :confused: :D :cool:

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
MEVS06 said:
This is what a CAN BUS is:
CAN bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes these will work, but you will need to purchase the low beam and high beam separately. Let me know if I can be of more assistance.

Sorry, that was stupid of me. :duh: I thought of that just a minute ago, hafta get four of these then. So whats the price for four bulbs instead of the two?

Thanks

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Captain4164 said:
Sorry, that was stupid of me. :duh: I thought of that just a minute ago, hafta get four of these then. So whats the price for four bulbs instead of the two?
Thanks

If I had to guess, I'd say double the price for two bulbs to get the price for four... :thumbsup:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Captain4164 said:
Thanks

foxtrot5 said:
If I had to guess, I'd say double the price for two bulbs to get the price for four... :thumbsup:

:duh: :duh:

So far as I can tell, there's no special for more than two, I am sure unless you are buying in bulk.

So far they look they really good! As soon as I am out of poverty I am definitely getting a set (maybe just for low beams to start) until I can afford low and high beams.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Just a caution, from what I can find these are DOT approved for only the exact model bulb they replace (correct me if I misread). The output will drop off very fast if these are in a reflector not designed for that specific type of bulb. These are "narrow beam" LEDs engineered to replace a specific type of "wide beam" standard bulb. If one uses them in a reflector not designed for the bulb they replace, one shall have a bad time. This is not a criticism, just a point that should be made.

That said, I hope LED headlights are the future. My real concern is snow and ice build up. I think it's time to start designing the defroster for them....

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
JohnMarcson said:
If one uses them in a reflector not designed for the bulb they replace, one shall have a bad time.

That said, I hope LED headlights are the future. My real concern is snow and ice build up. I think it's time to start designing the defroster for them....

bad time led housing.jpg

I agree, LEDs are the way to go, and I really hope this is the beginning of a new trend!

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
JohnMarcson said:
Just a caution, from what I can find these are DOT approved for only the exact model bulb they replace (correct me if I misread). The output will drop off very fast if these are in a reflector not designed for that specific type of bulb. These are "narrow beam" LEDs engineered to replace a specific type of "wide beam" standard bulb. If one uses them in a reflector not designed for the bulb they replace, one shall have a bad time. This is not a criticism, just a point that should be made.

This is correct, and Foxtrot was in chat talking about getting you a set John.... He insisted on getting you and Jman a set.... lol

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I'm all for LEDs being the main form of light in the automotive industrious, I just want people to be careful and keep their rides safe. I'm very optimistic about LED headlights... I just always mix that with some caution.

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
This was last night with mostly road spray and 30 degreesuploadfromtaptalk1386469828709.jpg

Still amazingly happy with the performance of the lights in general. Like stated before, only use direct replacement. DO NOT try and retrofit. These are meant to help not hinder

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
Joe, Not much help for us "Old Geezers" that still use Glass Sealed Beam headlights.... ;)

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
ford-dealer said:
Joe, Not much help for us "Old Geezers" that still use Glass Sealed Beam headlights.... ;)

Dave, seriously? You have what? FOUR full size Whelen Pioneers and you can't see your headlights as it is.....

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Yes there are many companies who make conversion kits for sealed beam vehicles. I would recommend getting a set from a reputable company because alot of the eBay sellers who have them don't provide a good beam of light due to the craptastic knockoff.

nightwolf

Oct 26, 2011
US Northeast
I was looking at a set of H11s for my Canyon's fog lights. I see they make H11 and H11F(og). I'd assume the bulbs have different focal points, maybe spot compared to flood? I also noted that the H11 fogs have no cooling fan, just a larger heat-sink. What could be the reasoning for this?

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
$64,000 question here, I think.

Many of us live in the northern parts of the country where road salt is heavily used throughout the winter months. I can't help but wonder how these little external fans are going to hold up in that environment. I know that the area behind the headlights of most vehicles isn't directly exposed to road spray, but a few weeks into winter, and the stuff starts to work its way into places that you'd never expect it to be.

I suspect we won't know for sure until some of you have had these installed for at least one winter or longer.

MAPMFF86

Jul 1, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
Being in WI this could be a concern

My concern also, would wan't them to be able to keep the snow off by themselves w/o having to install defroster strips or something like that.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
I don't see the snow being a huge problem. With that much heat sink they have to produce some heat. I'm in again for the salt spray. Here in the great salt state of NY, that s*** gets all over the place. Especially in areas that use calcium, that stuff eats through some plastics and most steel.

WireKing

Dec 16, 2010
USA Southwest
\ said:
I don't see the snow being a huge problem. With that much heat sink they have to produce some heat. I'm in again for the salt spray. Here in the great salt state of NY' date=' that s*** gets all over the place. Especially in areas that use calcium, that stuff eats through some plastics and most steel.[/quote']

There is a hole in your logic. Yes the LED bulbs will get hot at their base and so they need the fans to dissipate heat, but the important thing to note is that the light beam projected from an LED does not have heat, so the lens of a LED headlight doesn't get warm, meaning snow and ice won't melt no matter how long the LED is left on.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
WireKing said:
There is a hole in your logic. Yes the LED bulbs will get hot at their base and so they need the fans to dissipate heat, but the important thing to note is that the light beam projected from an LED does not have heat, so the lens of a LED headlight doesn't get warm, meaning snow and ice won't melt no matter how long the LED is left on.

hand-point-up-2.jpg

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
My logic isnt completely flawed. You are correct that there is no filament to produce heat, and the base of the diode does. But the base of he diode is indeed in the headlight housing itself. Warming the air inside of the headlight. Will it be as effective as a filament bulb/hid. No. But a diode being driven like that would inherently reach temperatures high enough to most likely assist melting a majority of most accumulations.

My major issue is the salt. Unless its a fully sealed motor to the fan I don't see it reaching the longevity that the light itself is rated for.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
wilsonbr90 said:
My logic isnt completely flawed. You are correct that there is no filament to produce heat, and the base of the diode does. But the base of he diode is indeed in the headlight housing itself. Warming the air inside of the headlight. Will it be as effective as a filament bulb/hid. No. But a diode being driven like that would inherently reach temperatures high enough to most likely assist melting a majority of most accumulations.

My major issue is the salt. Unless its a fully sealed motor to the fan I don't see it reaching the longevity that the light itself is rated for.
I think Zapp's got it right. If you'll look at this pic of one of their products, it sure looks like the base part that could get warm enough to have a desired warming effect is actually outside of the headlight housing. The mounting flange is just below the light but above the heat sink and fan. With the heat sink outside of the housing, not enough heat could possibly be circulated inside the housing to have any appreciable melting effect on snow or ice accumulations.

We do, however, agree on the salt issue.

63710d1384124596-lifetime-light-emitting-diode-lights-headlight-replacement-bulbs-1395209_598232.jpg

MAPMFF86

Jul 1, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
harumph..

Well this heat vs snow and ice debate is enough to have me put the brakes on ordering, hopefully someone that has a pair can do some snowy driving and let us know what the deal is..

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Im sure it will do fine with the snow here...

BUT... How do these compare against HID's?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.