Lifetime LED Lights Headlight Replacement Bulbs

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I have been driving around for 3 hours with them on. I will check to see if I feel any heat on the headlights in a few minutes. These are much better than HIDs due to actually being able to see the road in front of you.

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
So I have a 2011 Ram that I am wanting to run these in. However the headlight housing is that silly double wall and the bulbs themselves are enclosed in the outer housing. Once these are installed in either low or high beams the outer cover will not fit back into its spot requiring them to be left off. I love the lights but am not really comfortable with leaving the outer cover off for fear of moisture getting in the assembly - I am assuming moisture will seep in since there were sealed covers there in the first place.

If anyone has any experience with this please chime in, other wise they will end up in my 2013 JGC Trail Hawk.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Here is a pic of my truck with the H13 LED bulbs. I did not notice a lot of heat coming from the lights, the temprature outside when I was checking the headlights for heat was 52*f.

1233321.jpg

H13LEDHL123.jpg

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
Surgicalcric said:
So I have a 2011 Ram that I am wanting to run these in. However the headlight housing is that silly double wall and the bulbs themselves are enclosed in the outer housing. Once these are installed in either low or high beams the outer cover will not fit back into its spot requiring them to be left off. I love the lights but am not really comfortable with leaving the outer cover off for fear of moisture getting in the assembly - I am assuming moisture will seep in since there were sealed covers there in the first place.

If anyone has any experience with this please chime in, other wise they will end up in my 2013 JGC Trail Hawk.

Your talking about the plastic lock ring? I cut the height down by half so it would have clearance. Worked great. I used a cut of wheel to cut it

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Kd8bao said:
Your talking about the plastic lock ring? I cut the height down by half so it would have clearance. Worked great. I used a cut of wheel to cut it

The length of the light in the housing prevents the cap from going on. There isnt enough room to engage the cam lock for it to seal. So without cutting the cooling fins I cant see how to make it fit.

You have any pics of your mod by chance?

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
Surgicalcric said:
The length of the light in the housing prevents the cap from going on. There isnt enough room to engage the cam lock for it to seal. So without cutting the cooling fins I cant see how to make it fit.

You have any pics of your mod by chance?

I wot see my buddy til Tuesday or Wednesday but I will0 get some pics ASAP

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
acala91 said:
So how much better are these than halogens? Are they really worth the money?

I'm my opinion for my application yes they are better than halogen. I can actually see the road and street signs better and at distance unlike before.

nightwolf

Oct 26, 2011
US Northeast
MEVS06 said:
I'm my opinion for my application yes they are better than halogen. I can actually see the road and street signs better and at distance unlike before.

Are you saying they reflect better? How do they compare to HIDs in terms of illuminating reflective material/eyes of animals?

And I'll give it one more shot...Does anyone know what differentiates the fog version of the light from the regular. Is there a reason the fog bulbs don't have a fan? I want them in my fogs, and like the idea of no moving parts, but need more info! I wonder if they are less powerful, thus reducing heat and the need for a fan?

bobbyj

May 1, 2012
Bellingham, MA
nightwolf said:
And I'll give it one more shot...Does anyone know what differentiates the fog version of the light from the regular. Is there a reason the fog bulbs don't have a fan? I want them in my fogs, and like the idea of no moving parts, but need more info! I wonder if they are less powerful, thus reducing heat and the need for a fan?

My assumption is that there is no fan because being fog lights, they are lower and not protected from the elements as headlights are and thus don't want a fan getting covered in water/salt/etc. From the picture, the heatsink looks bigger, which mitigates the heat issue (fog lights tend to have more room behind them, and thus can accommodate a larger heatsink).

I just got a set of the H13s for my F150 today. I'll try to get them installed tonight and give an update. We've also got a snow storm coming tomorrow night, so I'd like to have them in to test during conditions. Will advise.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
nightwolf said:
Are you saying they reflect better? How do they compare to HIDs in terms of illuminating reflective material/eyes of animals?

90% of HIDs do not illuminate crap. The ones that do are legal to use in the USA.

The LED headlights do very well at illuminating reflective material etc. Like I stated before, I can actually see the road with the LEDs.

As far as the fog light bulbs not having a fan, I do not have an official response yet but I will post the info once I get a reply.

SireLite

May 21, 2010
Merseyland, England, GB
Here's a few positive thoughts for LED.

The LED is instantly on where as the HID's take time for them to warm up before they become usable.

You don't have to run long cables to power the LED'S. Where as with HID's you usually have to give them an alternative power source than your factory loom.

You can flash the LED's where as you can't flash HID's.

The LED's are low voltage, The HID's can give you a nasty shock due to the High voltages needed to power them.

You don't have to worry about getting hand grease on LED's. You need to wear gloves to fit HID's as hand grease can shorten the bulb lifespan.

JM6402

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
May have already been asked, but can these be retrofitted into a currently installed HLF, or do you need a LED Flasher? Also do they work with 2012 Ford Escape? (One bulb for High and Low beams)

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Has anyone put these in projector type housings yet?

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
Sad day. I received the four bulbs for my 2005 Chevy Silverdao 2500HD.

THe bulbs don't fit. Theres 0 clearance behind the headlight bucket. Even the halogens have a 90 adapter to allow them to mount. Too much support structure behind, and its metal and plastic, and if any of it is cut the headlight bucket won't stay in place. Too bad, I really wanted to test em out on a road trip to San Diego Thursday to Saturday.

Now to look forward to the ones for my Dakota showing up, I looked at that one and theres acres of space behind its headlights.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i too am curious how they will do in a projector housing, like on the new Interceptors

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas
Captain4164 said:
Sad day. I received the four bulbs for my 2005 Chevy Silverdao 2500HD.

THe bulbs don't fit. Theres 0 clearance behind the headlight bucket. Even the halogens have a 90 adapter to allow them to mount. Too much support structure behind, and its metal and plastic, and if any of it is cut the headlight bucket won't stay in place. Too bad, I really wanted to test em out on a road trip to San Diego Thursday to Saturday.

Now to look forward to the ones for my Dakota showing up, I looked at that one and theres acres of space behind its headlights.

Aww man.... Well that's not good. I'm waiting on a set of low beams for my 2004 Suburban. I'm sure I will have the same issue then. Crap.. That's something I was worried about when I seen the large fan. Hmm.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
wonder if they'l make a H1, H3 replacement for aftermarket fog lights and uhhhh rotating dashlights, minibars etc?

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Jarred J. said:
wonder if they'l make a H1, H3 replacement for aftermarket fog lights and uhhhh rotating dashlights, minibars etc?

H1's are about impossible due to the usual space contraint behind the bulb. They usually have a hard back to the assembly and wouldn't support the heat sink required. Just my .02

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
if i get this im going to need the headlights and the fog lights i think it will look stupid if i just get led headlights and i have no fog lights.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
proled said:
Are you allowed to fit LED bulbs in halogen headlamps in the USA? Certainly can't do it here in Europe....

You can do whatever you want in the US!! If you violate some rule/law/regulation, then you are on your own!!!

Supposedly some of the items comply with the regulations set forth by the governing authorities, and, as long as they comply, you violate no laws.

It is upon the individual to abide by the laws set forth.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
I can not believe the crappy tape job on the headlight connection! That does not give me much faith in the info from off-road sites.

But, interesting comparison as it does appear, at least on that Wrangler install, that the LED's do give out a lot more light.

To their credit, they did voice concern about the moisture and dust in the fan assembly.

proled

Sep 8, 2010
Belgium
Zapp Brannigan said:
You can do whatever you want in the US!! If you violate some rule/law/regulation, then you are on your own!!!

Supposedly some of the items comply with the regulations set forth by the governing authorities, and, as long as they comply, you violate no laws.

It is upon the individual to abide by the laws set forth.

Sorry, what I mean't was fitting LED bulbs in halogen units.... the halogen headlamps are designed for 'halogen' bulbs, so like a HID bulb in a halogen headlamp, the beam pattern is totaly different

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.