The Fire Helmet Thread

ast123

Oct 27, 2012
South Georgia
chief1565 said:
I'm not sure what you call the part on the front with the name and numbers.

Idk. When I think of shield I think of the face shield. But do you use the traditional helmets without a shield or whatever you call it?

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Ast we use the traditional helmet with shield

Do you know what that is called on the frt of the helmet with firefighter ,Fd,Foley.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
chief1565 said:

We can't have them so I don't know what to call it.

Shield or leather front, what I've always known them as. Seems stupid you weren't allowed to have em, that style hemlet seems "naked" without one.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Everybody here in Tompkins Co. are only allowed the type like Retired1 has and the on that lovely lady.

Only seen one female firefighter around here that even comes close to her.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
chief1565 said:
Everybody here in Tompkins Co. are only allowed the type like Retired1 has and the on that lovely lady.

Only seen one female firefighter around here that even comes close to her.

yea, know of a few dept's requiring use of certain style helmets. Fortunately ,mines not one of them.

And AST, typically if in reference to a flip down, I think of the full word, faceshield, not just shield. Granted each part of the country has adopted their own terms and names for certain things, so hopefully we're all takin this lightly and are soon going to keep posting some awesome headgear, helmets, lids,domes, etc :thumbsup:

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Phoenix_Rising said:
yea, know of a few dept's requiring use of certain style helmets. Fortunately ,mines not one of them.

And AST, typically if in reference to a flip down, I think of the full word, faceshield, not just shield. Granted each part of the country has adopted their own terms and names for certain things, so hopefully we're all takin this lightly and are soon going to keep posting some awesome headgear, helmets, lids,domes, etc :thumbsup:

The flip down eye shields are called Bourke Flip Down Eye Shields, or Bourkes for short.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Tristar said:
The flip down eye shields are called Bourke Flip Down Eye Shields, or Bourkes for short.

Im aware of bourkes, you can clearly see them on my helmet. I was referring to a full faceshield. As shown in this pic.

GPC said:
She has got a helmet so my post is legitimate.

FACEshield, EYEshield, can see how there was confusion. :weird:Thanks, uhm, I think....though, for the rebuttal where one was not needed :bonk:

topic, folks! pics pr gtfo!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Phoenix_Rising said:
Im aware of bourkes, you can clearly see them on my helmet. I was referring to a full faceshield. As shown in this pic.

FACEshield, EYEshield, can see how there was confusion. :weird:Thanks, uhm, I think....though, for the rebuttal where one was not needed :bonk:

topic, folks! pics pr gtfo!

Sorry about that. I'll try to get more photos posted in the next couple of days.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
ryan81986 said:
Helmet front/helmet shield. You can't have your own or they dont issue them at all?

That's right trying to make sure everybody is alike. I liked them.

But this one person thought he could do what he wanted without the permission of the company.

Lasted 3.5 years before resigning.

Now the company has to figuire out how much damage he caused with him being chief.

Including relation with mutual aid depts,buying,a whole lot of questionable acts.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
GTRider245 said:
Give me a break. The helmet pictured was not patterned in militiary camo. No one would have thought I was insulting military personnel. You were looking for something to get ticked off about.

However, in due respect to any military personnel who may have been offended, I do appologize.

Apology accepted.

GTRider245

Jun 12, 2010
Georgia
chief1565 said:

We can't have them so I don't know what to call it.

A traditional helmet without a leather front is a serious safety/entanglement issue. Glad you guys are correcting this mistake.

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
GTRider245 said:
A traditional helmet without a leather front is a serious safety/entanglement issue. Glad you guys are correcting this mistake.

Unless you also remove the eagle. But the fronts are great for identification, so why not have them?

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
bwoodruff said:
Unless you also remove the eagle. But the fronts are great for identification, so why not have them?

Do you have them where you are?

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
I think every department that has traditional style helmets uses them. I've never seen one without. Unless they wear the piss bucket style helmets.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
ryan81986 said:
I think every department that has traditional style helmets uses them. I've never seen one without. Unless they wear the piss bucket style helmets.

That's a wide generalization statement.

Not everyone has the leather and eagle style helmet.

We don't around here.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Phoenix_Rising said:

Another FF Foley, eh? Nice.

The yellow 660 is mine (department issued) with my Vantage on one side and a broken garrity cheapo light (now used as a commercial door wedge) on the other. Once I take/pass IFSAC FF-I and FF-II I get my black helmet. The black 660 pictured is a buddy of mine's with the standard department shield for reference. Our chief is very specific about what we're allowed to put on our lids. No stickers, no additional reflective material, no cameras... you get the idea.

View attachment 43403View attachment 43404View attachment 43405View attachment 43406

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
foxtrot5 said:
Another FF Foley, eh? Nice.

aye. got a cousin in FDNY, another in Woodbury/Central Valley NY that are FF's as well :thumbsup:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Phoenix_Rising said:
aye. got a cousin in FDNY, another in Woodbury/Central Valley NY that are FF's as well :thumbsup:

Foley's taking over. Something to be said for Irish Fire Fighters!

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
foxtrot5 said:
Foley's taking over. Something to be said for Irish Fire Fighters!

Indeed! Id applaud that, but I might fall off me barsto...,er, chair

GTRider245

Jun 12, 2010
Georgia
chief1565 said:
Ast we use the traditional helmet with shield

Do you know what that is called on the frt of the helmet with firefighter ,Fd,Foley.

chief1565 said:
That's a wide generalization statement.

Not everyone has the leather and eagle style helmet.

We don't around here.

I guess I am reading this wrong. I thought you were saying you guys had traditional stye helmets, with eagle but no leather front. That is where my safety issue comment came from.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
GTRider245 said:
I guess I am reading this wrong. I thought you were saying you guys had traditional stye helmets, with eagle but no leather front. That is where my safety issue comment came from.

Sorry GT,

I didn't relize untill I talked to Phoenix that when traditional is mentioned it means the leather and eagle style.

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
chief1565 said:
Sorry GT,

I didn't relize untill I talked to Phoenix that when traditional is mentioned it means the leather and eagle style.

It doesn't necessarily have to be leather, but that style. The Cairns 1010/1044 would also be called "traditional" but isn't leather:

http://www.sandryfire.com/images/Cairns_1010.jpg

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
If the wife ever gets around to bring here hemets in the house i'll take some pics.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
emblems 009.jpg

It's a bit dirtier now after a structure fire, will try to get more pics soon.

Just a simple yellow Cairns 880. No decals or stickers of any sorts yet, though I'm trying to find a couple. Looking for reflective US flag numbers to get and put on the back of my helmet and some reflective letters. Trying to keep it simple.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Have some pictures of the rest of my collection.

A very old MSA helmet that is from my dept. way back when. I honestly have NO idea is this was a structural helmet or just display. It looks like some of the old helmets I've seen in old dept. pictures, but again, it very well could just be a display piece. Was in my father's office and he gave me all of his fire dept. things.

helmets 053.jpg

helmets 054.jpg

An old Bullard helmet from Bunker Hill. I bought this at a fleamarket in Strawtown. Don't believe it's from Bunker Hill, IN, due to the fact that their dept. is Pipe Creek.

helmets 055.jpg

helmets 056.jpg

My dad's old Cairns. He did have two of these, one yellow and one red, but I honestly have no idea what happened to the red cap. Unlike a lot of guys, he actually kept his helmet reasonably clean and wiped off all the black after it started to build up. One year he went as a clown for halloween and got red make-up on the headband liner. If you wear the helmet and start sweating, the makeup will dye your sweat red and make it look like you're bleeding. He responded to a could runs and had it happen and some officers tried to send him to the Techs. I also had some fun and scared the crap out of my mom.

helmets 057.jpg

helmets 058.jpg

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
These are the 2 helmets that are currently used at the dept they are Bullards.

These are my wife's she hasn't gotten her 1st. Asst. helmet yet and the other is when she isn't an officer.

I designed the frt.of the helmet from the company patch 6yrs. ago and redisigned the fire police and the SCBA stickers has to not clutter the helmet to much.

It was done on site at Federal Safety Equipment Cander NY 13743 607-659-7491 Their site does not show that they do this need to call for it. Emergency Vehicle & Apparatus Supplier - Federal Safety Equipment

helmet 1.jpg

helmet 2.jpg

helmet 3.jpg

helmet 4.jpg

helmet 5.jpg

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
JPolston said:
Have some pictures of the rest of my collection.

A very old MSA helmet that is from my dept. way back when. I honestly have NO idea is this was a structural helmet or just display. It looks like some of the old helmets I've seen in old dept. pictures, but again, it very well could just be a display piece. Was in my father's office and he gave me all of his fire dept. things.

View attachment 43656

View attachment 43657

An old Bullard helmet from Bunker Hill. I bought this at a fleamarket in Strawtown. Don't believe it's from Bunker Hill, IN, due to the fact that their dept. is Pipe Creek.

View attachment 43658

View attachment 43659

My dad's old Cairns. He did have two of these, one yellow and one red, but I honestly have no idea what happened to the red cap. Unlike a lot of guys, he actually kept his helmet reasonably clean and wiped off all the black after it started to build up. One year he went as a clown for halloween and got red make-up on the headband liner. If you wear the helmet and start sweating, the makeup will dye your sweat red and make it look like you're bleeding. He responded to a could runs and had it happen and some officers tried to send him to the Techs. I also had some fun and scared the crap out of my mom.

View attachment 43660

View attachment 43661

That MSA is a structural helmet. I have a black one, with firefighter rockers and bourkes on it. It was my grandfathers helmet from way back when.

SBFD-E-9

May 24, 2010
Washington IL
JPolston said:
View attachment 43633

It's a bit dirtier now after a structure fire, will try to get more pics soon.

Just a simple yellow Cairns 880. No decals or stickers of any sorts yet, though I'm trying to find a couple. Looking for reflective US flag numbers to get and put on the back of my helmet and some reflective letters. Trying to keep it simple.

thefirestore.com has those decals. Nice looking helmet. I just got an 880 to put in service. It is a nice light weight helmet.

Dan

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
NCFD43 said:
That MSA is a structural helmet. I have a black one, with firefighter rockers and bourkes on it. It was my grandfathers helmet from way back when.

I was looking through some old dept pictures my grandpa has, my dept. used to have the same helmet in black then swapped to the yellow in the late 60s early 70s

SBFD-E-9 said:
thefirestore.com has those decals. Nice looking helmet. I just got an 880 to put in service. It is a nice light weight helmet.

Dan

Yeah I love it. Had to adjust the headpiece itself to stop cutting off circulation at the back of my head, but after that it's been a dream. Have tried on 1010s and Just don't like how it feels on my head, very awkward. And thank you, I'll take a look.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
I have two questions regarding attaching badge/front piece to helmets. I have Cairns 5A and N5A (leather New Yorkers) in my collection. Some didn't come with a badge, so I've been collecting some badges as well. My questions are:

1. How do do I attach the badge to the 5A helmet (no impact cap)? These helmets don't have the bolts coming out the front that the badge can be attached to.

2. The N5A helmets do have bolts coming out of the front of the helmet. Some of the badges have holes that are big enough for the bolts. Some badges have very small holes that are too small for the bolts. How do I make the holes larger...can I just drill them out, or will that destroy the badge?

Thank you for the help.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.