2011 Caprice PPV

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
nerdly_dood said:
This new Caprice is 203 inches long and 74.8 inches wide with a 118-inch wheelbase. The Ford Mondeo pictured above is 190.7 by 74.3 inches with a 112 inch wheelbase, a few inches longer than previous models. Might seem similar but there's really no comparison; the 90s-era Caprice was 214x77 inches with a 115-inch wheelbase.

My point is, the European midsize sedan is growing, whileits American counterpart is shrinking. See, they almost have the same width already ! :)

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
K9Vic said:
Here is one our our local Chevy/Ford dealers pricing list for the new Caprice PPV. The base package seems pretty reasonable for just less then $30k, almost equal to their base Tahoe package.

Chevrolet Caprice

Their installs sound crappy and overpriced! Besides, I'm not sure if i want a car dealership doing them! Might not turn out the best!

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
They are a full upfitter, and dealer of equipment. They do good work except for putting stupid defender badges on their vehicles. They have the state contract for tahoes again.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
ISU_Cyclone said:
I found threads on the Taurus Interceptor and new Dodge Charger, but not the Caprice. So here it is. Post new pics and info as it becomes available. Also discuss news and features.

Personally, I want to try and get a 9C3 as a POV...but that may be wishful thinking.

Here is a new pic I found, presumably from testing in Michigan.

ai634.photobucket.com_albums_uu64_BoondockSaint3100_Random_Capriceppv.jpg

Hmm, just noticed this one has the V6 exhaust. Pretty much everyother Caprice PPV has had the quad tip V8 exhaust. Does this mean the V6 will be available for 2012 I wonder?

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
HILO said:
They are a full upfitter, and dealer of equipment. They do good work except for putting stupid defender badges on their vehicles. They have the state contract for tahoes again.

Don't you think the equipment and labor they add to the vehicles could be done for cheaper? Seemed a bit pricey, but I honestly don't have much to compare it too.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
HILO said:

Exactly, they have the DPS contract and do good work, I have seen many of their installs and they are very professional. They also have their install shop external to the dealership about 30 minutes south in Denton Texas as it is closer to Dallas/Fort Worth their primary market.

Some people like the badges, some do not like HILO. I like them as it is unique and had them put one on the 08 Tahoe I bought from them used. It originally came from another dealer and they knew I liked the badge.

I have no affiliation with this dealership, other then buying multiple used vehicles from them and have been 100% satisfied.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
The defender badge is gay with 2 snaps! The state contract is for dps and any other agency that wants to buy off that contract. The Texas contract for the caprice has not been awarded yet. On the state contracts, an agency can order equipment installed from a menu. A car can also be ordered plain.

cory y

May 21, 2010
AZEMT said:
LOL! And I don't think that the Caprice looks too bad, except that everyone who has half a brain cell knows that real police cars have a column shifter.... >:)

oh god lets not get into this again..

ADAPT!

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
WTF? They put the V6 exhaust on it! From what I've been told by my exhaust/tuning guy, that will rob some power. I can't belive they swapped the LED taillights for normal bulbs, probably to allow HAW.

Going to be fun fitting HAW in the blinker/backup lights in these, smaller then on the Commodore which they pretty much just use backup flashers, although at least 1 local highway car HAD red/blue LEDs in there. I have seen HAW fitted to the front markerlights, the one over the headlights, which by the way the inner highbeam already has a hole just below the bulb.

cory y

May 21, 2010
The backups actually have 2 reflectors in there. The backupbulbs are only in the inboard reflctor... the outboard reflector is empty

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I think it's gunna be damn near fucking impossible to mount, grille lights, and a siren speaker or two preferably behind that grille with an oil cooler there!

cory y

May 21, 2010
Fast LT1 said:
I think it's gunna be damn near fucking impossible to mount, grille lights, and a siren speaker or two preferably behind that grille with an oil cooler there!

There's about 3 inches between the grille and the cooler.

cory y

May 21, 2010

NOW

if you PAY ATTENTION you will notice that the floor rack fits PERFECTLY to the right of the SHIFTER.... so guess what YOU DONT LOSE ANY DAMN ROOM mount your laptops to the front passenger seat bolts

Last edited by a moderator:

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
Did you take one with you?

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
cory y said:
if you PAY ATTENTION you will notice that the floor rack fits PERFECTLY to the right of the SHIFTER.... so guess what YOU DONT LOSE ANY DAMN ROOM mount your laptops to the front passenger seat bolts

DAMN! You have pretty much the exact same amount of room as you do in the caprice! With added leg room in the back, and a hell of a lot more power under the hood! IMHO this car is the definite winner of all the new Police cars.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Spotted a 9C3 with a spotlight today at Defender Supply in Denton Texas, they are an install shop for Holiday Chevrolet in Whitesboro. They are the dealer that owns the "Chevy Defender" name and you will see that on the caprice. It was dirty from the rain, but took a few pictures. Yeah it had the center console as it was a 9C3, but did have a spotlight.

Defender Supply - Public Safety Equipment

aimages17.fotki.com_v147_photos_1_14219_36203_IMG_0875_vi.jpg

aimages57.fotki.com_v496_photos_1_14219_36203_IMG_0877_vi.jpg

aimages41.fotki.com_v195_photos_1_14219_36203_IMG_0879_vi.jpg

aimages112.fotki.com_v106_photos_1_14219_36203_IMG_0881_vi.jpg

aimages108.fotki.com_v613_photos_1_14219_36203_IMG_0882_vi.jpg

aimages45.fotki.com_v148_photos_1_14219_36203_IMG_0883_vi.jpg

aimages55.fotki.com_v507_photos_1_14219_36203_IMG_0884_vi.jpg

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
cory y said:
The backups actually have 2 reflectors in there. The backupbulbs are only in the inboard reflctor... the outboard reflector is empty

WTF? They ditched the much safer LED stop/tail with seperate amber blinker and white backup for a combined incan STT setup? The ONLY upside to that stupid move is it just made rear hideaways really easy to install.

I agree grille lights behind the grille is going to be interesting, here they surface mount them too the grille. As for the siren, here they mount them behind the bumper.

cory y said:

Its good to see the crown vic cages fit in the caprice with minimal changes to the feet. probably be more cost effective to just by a transfer kit from the respective manufacture. but as far as the console goes, sorry, but that video is bogus. First off, thats just some dinky half slat console. And it sat high and far back. Not a very comfortable for the officer. And yes, that floor plate in the video sat all the way to the front, but considering consoles are 8.5" wide, they'll still have to be placed behind the shifter. Yes, your laptop can be mounted right next to the shifter, but if the agency doesn't use laptops, then that might end up being unused territory.

Don't get me wrong, I'm greatly looking forward to seeing this car hit that streets, as well as outfitting one. But i just don't think the transfer of equipment is going to be as easy or nearly as clean as some are hoping it will.

cory y said:
The floor plate sits almost the same height is the charger plate does.

True, but were not talking about a charger. The video was trying to show the combatibility of transfering existing equipment from a CV, to a Caprice. while yes, it can be transfered, it won't be a clean install, and looks to be uncomfortable for the officer. Just seems better to by a vehicle specific console.

cory y

May 21, 2010
well when people are trying to save money, transferring equipment is the only way... that video shows that it is possible to transfer equipment, not its not going to be the cleanest, but for alot of places, cheap>clean

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
zacmtz7 said:
What's the difference between the 9C3 & 9C1?

The 9C3 is what the CVPI SAP (Street Appearance Package) is. Still a police package, but doesnt stand out as much and looks more "civilian/retail." Its (9C3) intended for detectives, not patrol.

IIRC, the 9C3 is not intended for high speed pursuit.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I'm aware that the 9C3 was released a few weeks ago, while the 9C1 will not be for another couple of months. I was pointing out that teh LAPD car was inface a 9C3, and did not have any equipment in teh console, becasue it had cup holders and window switches.

The 9C3 has historicaly and does in the new Caprice, share the same performance with the 9C1. The difference is that 9C3's would have nicer seating and interior options, as well as more common accersories like full hub caps and chrome. For the new Caprice, it is with the center console. On the 9C3, the window switches are in the center, where the 9C1 will not be in the center. Jon Moss used a 9C3 as the base for the 1992 Impala SS.

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
FireEMSPolice said:
Damn floor shifter!!!!

STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!....typical GM :hissyfit:

Calm down.

Just an observation: pretty much every police car in Europe is manual shift with a floor shifter - and the laws still get enforced just fine.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
RJ* said:
Calm down.

Just an observation: pretty much every police car in Europe is manual shift with a floor shifter - and the laws still get enforced just fine.

You deleted my :D face and took the sarcasm out of it.

I know most police vehicles in Europe is manual shift with a floor shifter. You would have a 5 speed with a column shifter would ya?

*NOTE: RJ you likely got this message in PM because of that damn button! Sorry about that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.