2011 Caprice PPV

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
108FP1 said:
G8's don't come with a Corvette engine. I hope that they realize the huge sport market that will exist with this car and offer a 6-speed manual. Everything else is already built for speed.

Smoking crack is bad.....2009 pontiac G8 GPX 6 Speed with an LS3. Also base engine of the 2008 up Corvette, and 2010 up SS Camaro.

The Caprice 6.0 is de tuned a bit. And it has been annnounced that the G8 will return, just not as a Caprice.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
rwo978 said:
NDHP had one marked up and upfitted and parked at their district office the other day when I was leaving the jail. I took some cell pics, but it was dark and they're crappy and not able to upload them at this point in time., will do later.
I will say, not a big fan of the console area. The elbow rest seemed to put your arm at about ear level... too high for my tastes.

1015110007a.jpg

1015110006a.jpg

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
Eh, whether or not the G8 comes with that engine, it also comes with Pontiac body styling and badging, which is something I'll never drive again.

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
108FP1 said:
Eh, whether or not the G8 comes with that engine, it also comes with Pontiac body styling and badging, which is something I'll never drive again.

Well...it DOES come with that engine. And "Pontiac body styling and badging"? Dude, it is the same car. Buy some Chevy emblems if it's that important.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I did not expect the NDHP to get one of those Caprices, Ryan! That looks awesome! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for that cruiser, or others if they ordered more ;) .

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
It was parked over in the lot by the jail. Not sure if it just got there from upfitting (with a reused, bug gooed Liberty), or if it's a test unit. I'll have to try and get some decent day pics.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Also saw an unmarked white NDHP Caprice tooling around town. I could tell it was a state car due to the full size VHF mast on the roof and the specialized NDHP license plates. I didn't see any interior lights or anything.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
rwo978 said:
Also saw an unmarked white NDHP Caprice tooling around town. I could tell it was a state car due to the full size VHF mast on the roof and the specialized NDHP license plates. I didn't see any interior lights or anything.

Huh, that's interesting. Now I got to keep an eye out for that one as well :haha:

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
kenton1979 said:
Has anyone done a 9C1 patrol car yet? I cant believe there arent more pics up yet. I see a few detective type pics and vids but there are surely some of these on the streets on patrol now.

Yes, Defender Supply has been building them for some time now. There is a B&W one destine for Jackson PD, California. Keep in mind Defender Supply is located in Denton Texas. I think I need to make a road trip up there tomorrow to check out what they have, after all my 2009 Tahoe PPV was unfitted there.

Defender Supply - Automobiles and Parts - Denton, TX | Facebook

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
I've said it before and I'll say it again (insert beating dead horse emoticon here), the floor shifter = fail. Big fail. Also - the interior cabins are very compact for the officer and the passenger side/dash console from Jotto = another fail. I sure hope the new Taurus Interceptor lives up to its hype... because the Caprice isn't winning a lot of fans.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
MichianaELS said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again (insert beating dead horse emoticon here), the floor shifter = fail. Big fail. Also - the interior cabins are very compact for the officer and the passenger side/dash console from Jotto = another fail. I sure hope the new Taurus Interceptor lives up to its hype... because the Caprice isn't winning a lot of fans.
I have to second that motion with the center shifter, totally fail. No room for anything in that console because of it. I do have to say though, the exterior styling is nice, not interior...

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
I don't like the floor shifter either and will be one of the reasons we will not buy them.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
Looking at all the interior pictures that I've seen, the console shifter only works if:

a) there is no laptop (MDT) or

B) it will always be a one man unit.

Steve-O

May 21, 2010
San Antonio
I have yet to see one of these on the road, but there were four sitting at the shop. No interior shots as the yard was all locked up...

IMAG0388.jpg

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
Ok here are my initial impressions from an install point of view. I have been working on 8 of these the past 2 weeks.

-Removing trim is a PITA. Gm has gone back to using screws to hold parts of the trim in, and the trim in the floor kick panel area is all interconnected so you just about have to take all the trim out to get to the one area you really need.

- We have been installing the Havis center console. It only leaves you 3" of depth mounting space wise, so if it is not a remote siren controller or radio head forget putting anything in it (I realize this is more of a Havis complaint).

- Forget about putting a siren speaker behind the grill. There is just no room with the oil cooler, and there are no cross beams or anything to mount a speaker to. I did put a pair of Federal Impaxx behind the grill, but I had to mount them to the hoodnear the top of the grill for them to fit. You can buy the Caprice siren speaker bracket which mounts behind the bumper.

- The Caprices we are working on have the standard battery in the trunk, along with an auxiliary battery in the trunk. The dual batteries leave very little room in the trunk for mounting equipment any where other than hanging from the top of the trunk.

- I did not have to run any wires through the firewall since it had all the factory pre-run wires, but it does no look like an easy task if that ever had to happen.

- I know there are some out there that have managed to put LAW in the headlights, and I would like to know how they did it. I spent an hour trying to figure out a way to do it and finally decided it was not worth the trouble it would take to mount and then try to seal the light back up. I think the headlight design of newer vehicles is eliminating the practicality of installing anything in them.

- Very little room in the center console area to run wires.

- There is a silver trim piece around the door jams on both sides. We were installing Federal Legend bars on these cars and the instruction require putting the mounting straps underneath this trim piece. To remove the trim piece you have to very carefully pry it away from the clips holding in it or you run the risk of breaking them. PITA.

- For some reason the touch screen radios in all of them can be turned on at any time without the key in the ignition. Seems like a really good way to drain a battery and then have your installation work blamed for it.

- Overall not very impressed. I would rather work on an Impala. Once again it seems GM has randomly picked a vehicle to make a police vehicle without putting a lot of thought into aftermarket equipment requirements.

Now from my LEO perspective.

- This vehicle has too many gizmos and buttons. The touch screen radio is fancy and pretty looking, but does not seem very user friendly as far as police work goes. In my current Crown Vic when I get a call or need to turn down the radio I can do it without even looking, seems like it would be a little more difficult with the current set up. I know it is all what you are used to but I am not a big fan of the GM setup.

- Same with the AC controls.

- There are numerous controls and features on this vehicle that I think would be fine in the civilian world, but not needed in a police vehicle. There were buttons and settings on this vehicle that I never could figure out their purpose or function.

- Seats are comfortable, Setina cage allows the seat the move back with lots of room for the driver.

- The floor shifter makes console mounting awkward. The console has to sit back far enough that it is slightly awkward to access the contents of the console. The space next to the floor shift is really kind of useless, the Havis floor place has a space to put a computer stand there.

- It does have lots of get up and go, I dont really care so much about that or how fast the top end speed is since I work in a city environment where it is more stop and go than anything.

So there are my brief findings for what its worth.

opskmallory

Jun 14, 2010
Utah
I know this thread is rather old, but I still like to periodically read up on the Caprice PPV. Checking out info and reviews on the Ford NGPI, they noted that a telescoping steering wheel was not possible with a column shifter.

This leads me to believe that the Caprice PPV probably has a telescoping steering wheel. While a telescoping wheel was probably not the primary reason for a floor shifter, it sounds like a reasonable trade-off. My last few personal cars all have them. Having long arms, I enjoy being able to adjust my reach, depending on where my seat is positioned. One of my big gripes of my CVPI is not having a telescoping wheel.

Just something for the floor-shifter haters to think about. ;)

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
The original concept vehicle had an overhead console containing a Cencom. Does anyone know if an overhead console is actually available?

Also, for slicktop, I'm only finding interior bars that mount on the rear deck. I haven't found anything that mounts to the top of the rear glass. Does anyone know of anything like this that would work. I'd like to have a separate traffic advisor and an interior bar, one mounted low and one mounted high.

I hate to pull this thread from the grave but I just got to drive one of these today for the first time.

Initial thoughts:

-v6 seemed fast but not the kind of torque we are use to in the vic and chargers (v8 vs v6 duh) but I would say it would be more than enough and in a rwd car for city patrol.

-Huge on the inside, I cant touch the pedals with the seat back all the way

-Better to get into and out of than the NGPI, and the doors dont have the dumb strap

-The trunk is huge but man if something goes to the front I am not sure you could get to it without crawling in

-I agree with there being way too many guizmos

-I didnt see any real issue with the shifter, I think it will be more of an issue based on how its outfitted. It seemed natural to reach for it there but I could see this being a revision later

-The key was strange to me, it did not seem natural compaired to the shifter

These are just my opinions

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
kenton1979 said:
I hate to pull this thread from the grave but I just got to drive one of these today for the first time.

Initial thoughts:

-v6 seemed fast but not the kind of torque we are use to in the vic and chargers (v8 vs v6 duh) but I would say it would be more than enough and in a rwd car for city patrol.

-Huge on the inside, I cant touch the pedals with the seat back all the way

-Better to get into and out of than the NGPI, and the doors dont have the dumb strap

-The trunk is huge but man if something goes to the front I am not sure you could get to it without crawling in

-I agree with there being way too many guizmos

-I didnt see any real issue with the shifter, I think it will be more of an issue based on how its outfitted. It seemed natural to reach for it there but I could see this being a revision later

-The key was strange to me, it did not seem natural compaired to the shifter

These are just my opinions

As far as I know, and I have been wrong before, the Caprice's that are in the states now are all 6.0 V8 engines with the V6 option coming later. Are you sure this was a V6 that you drove?

There is no mistaking the v6 sound and lack of power... I did check under the hood, the other two cyliders were missing. It was the silver with police markings straight from Chevrolet for agency testing. Forgot to mention it had a full size liberty in the trunk that fit longways wit room to spare (huge trunk).

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
I have four V6 Caprices here now, just about done with the first one. Pictures to come later unless anyone wants to see anything specific now.

LAPDfalcon

Oct 21, 2011
QLD, Australia
I'm seeing alot of hate on the shifter location, but I think it's just the way Holden has always done it. Our cops have always managed.

I've never seen (and believe me, I see ALOT of them, literally every 2nd car is a Commodore or Falcon) a Commodore/Caprice/Statesman sedan with a column shift. I've seen a couple of 90's Commodore utes with column shift (to allow for 3 seats), but that's about it.

It also irritates me that Holden will ship these to the other side of the world then sell them for half price, while if you want to buy a new Camaro here, it costs $130,000.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
So I just started pulling apart the second Caprice and I find this:

IMG-20120701-00160.jpg

IMG-20120701-00161.jpg

That's right, there is a large cable stuck in between the two parts of the heat ducting. I checked another car and it's a large ground wire that is supposed to be connected to the white connector tied under the dash panel(the left side of my pictures). How could this not be noticed?!!

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Holden "quality"=variable from bad to "how the hell did this pile of crap escape the factory!".

I should know as I've had 3 Commodores and used to work for a Holden dealer as the warranty manager.

The radios turning on/doing random things is a known issue and should be brought to your dealers attention, know a few guys who's brand new Commodores have had a couple of stereos installed before the car has been a month old.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Aurora PD here recently started phasing out 5+ Year old Crown Vics (they have some up to 10 years old on the streets still) after getting the budget set aside to do so this year. They have chosen the Caprice to replace the Vics with and the reviews by the officers were favorable, at least at first. I'd like to see how they like them now that they've been out on the streets for a few months. Not sure if they ended up going with the V-8s or the V-6s. Maybe a mix of both. I also noticed Wyoming State Patrol has a few new Caprices out there as well along I-80/287 in addition to a few newer looking Chargers, and every once in awhile an older Vic. I think I even saw a Colorado State Patrol Caprice as well, but could not be 100% sure due to it being late at night. From what I've read, the Caprice takes top spots in performance, HP, acceleration, and fuel economy? But I too would be disgruntled about the transmission shifter lever being where it is at. Tough selling point. That and I don't like the styling of the rear tail lights on the Caprice as well, they could have done a better job there. But then again, no one liked the styling of the rear taillights on the 91-96 Caprice...

I used to be very loyal to GM vehicles, but after GM stopped the production of the RWD sedans in 96, I had to go with everyone else and join the Crown Vic club. Loved the Vics. Had 3 of em. A 1992 Touring Sedan, a 1995 P71 ex Montana HP, and a 1998 P71 ex Ohio state patrol. All three great vehicles. Engines and trannies went forever, just that everything else around them fell apart or rusted apart. Well technically 4. I also had a 1996 P71 that was an old fire chief's car for a volunteer department in Ohio. Had water leaks all over the place but engine and tranny were strong. Sold it after 6 months.

I see a lot of you installers are dealing with the Tahoes. I wonder what those are like to drive and have as a patrol vehicle? Plenty of room I am sure. Probably still the same 130ish top speed ratings as the 97-99 Tahoe police packages that had the 5.7L Vortec, but better acceleration and handling now than the older ones?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.