Custom Flat-Top Mini MX (2100/RX2700/Ranger Bar Clone) *Back to just a 36" bar*

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
I love it.

i dunno how code 3 never transformed the MX7K into a mainstream LED or a LED/Combo lightbar (ie like the Whelen Delta lor FedSig's upgrades to some of their popular halogen lightbars)...maybe it's because the LED intersection sweeps are such a good idea & C3 lacks creativity, thinking that we won't notice them putting mediocre LED modules in recycled frames & calling it innovative. The MX7K is one of my all time favorites & I love seeing the LED upgrades that members have put into theirs over the years

Actually they did, with the RMX. Its the RX Base with the MX7K tops. I apologize to whosever pic this is, its from eLb

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u626/aphoenixrising13/36CF7289-C370-4FAF-B147-0E7ED42E484E_zpseskj8hii.jpg[/URL]

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Again sorry, I just did a quick google search and that was the biggest pic I saw off the bat

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I like that, but at the same time there is WAY too much open space...  I could always stack some Solaris heads and put them in the top of the MX...  But that would be WAY too high profile for me...  lol

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Do they make Smart Sweeps for the Excalibur?
Never seen a set, nor are they listed in the PDF for the Excalibur. Not to say they didnt at one point maybe offer them.

IF you can find and afford a set of smart MX sweeps, you could cut the reflectors down, but they pop up on ebay for like $200/pair used. and require a control module IIRC.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Never seen a set, nor are they listed in the PDF for the Excalibur. Not to say they didnt at one point maybe offer them.

IF you can find and afford a set of smart MX sweeps, you could cut the reflectors down, but they pop up on ebay for like $200/pair used. and require a control module IIRC.
Ouch that's too steep for me. I just scored a pair of Excalibur sweeps for $5ea off eBay. Ill keep u guys posted and ill start a separate thread.

Boulder, thanks for the inspiration. And for once, this upgrade isnt gonna cost me a ton of money.

Reactions: TritonBoulder47
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
So...  The mags came in today...  I got a set of THESE...  Might get it put on the Durango in my days off (next couple of days)...  My only real hesitation is that I have to drill the feet for the mags...  And if I do that, I wont be able to use the lights that mount to the feet (which I kinda want to do once I get new bulbs for them)  I could also use the standard metal MX feet, but they sit the bar up even higher than it currently is...  

BUT

I also got to thinkin...  Maybe I'll put all these parts (and more) into the full bar I have and make a full size Flat-Top...  If I go full, I'd have to find a different way to mount it, don't think mags will do the trick... lol  

Why must I be so damn indecisive?!?!  lol

Reactions: proudfirefighter

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
 Maybe I'll put all these parts (and more) into the full bar I have and make a full size Flat-Top...  If I go full, I'd have to find a different way to mount it, don't think mags will do the trick... lol  
This.

Reactions: proudfirefighter

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
You should edit the title, this is a RANGER clone. Tisk Tisk, you should know better Boulder

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Hopefully tonight at work I can play around with the bar again and maybe make it a full bar...  Unless its snowing too much to bring the stuff in side, then I'll just build my new LEGO kits I got...  lol

Reactions: Storm4200
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Well, currently it too sloppy to bring in all my stuff to work on...  Maybe later on if it lets up, but I don't foresee that...  So it looks like tomorrow will start the new bar build...  lol

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
So...  I got a couple ideas in my head to up the "custom" level of this bar...  

First:

I'm thinking about buying another pair of Apollos and doing another set of sweeps in the rear corners, but still not 100% on that idea...

Second:

I have this L32...  So I thought to myself:  "Why not put that in there somewhere...?"  So, I'm gonna take the guys out of the L32 and put then in the center section of the full size Flat-Top...  and probably set it to either Modu-Flash, or Rotating...  lol  We'll see...  

Here's how it sits currently...

Custom Flat-Top Full 01.jpg

Last night I stripped the full bar of all of its rotators and halogen lights, then started transferring the guts from the 36", and then added 4 more solaris heads that I had.  Currently its got 16 Solaris heads and the Apollo sweeps and mount feet...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Ok, the full size bar is now "complete"...  lol  Basically, its the 36" version with a customized center section...

I took my L32 and took the guts out of it...  Then I took the pedestals that the rotator boars mount to and used them as "feet" to mount for the L32 internals...  I screwed the pedestals to the bottom of the L32 and then screwed the pedestals to the center groove in the bare base...

Here's how it looks currently... 

Custom Flat-Top Full 02.jpg

Custom Flat-Top Full 03.jpg

Custom Flat-Top Full 04.jpg

Custom Flat-Top Full 05.jpg

Custom Flat-Top Full 06.jpg

Custom Flat-Top Full 07.jpg

Custom Flat-Top Full 08.jpg

And of course, a video...  lol

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Oh WOWWW! this looks incredible! The L32 really sets it off! The rotate pattern is perfect. The full size was definitely the way to go. Just when i thought this bar couldnt get any cooler! I love it. The only problem is, this makes me have to step-up my custom-build game. Great job Boulder, as always!

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Glad you put the front Solaris heads in pairs instead of independents. Less chaos in the flashes.

The SolaRanger OSC is coming along well.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Thats it. I am going to have to mount some PowerArcs or LED RotaBeam heads to my MX sweeps.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Oh WOWWW! this looks incredible! The L32 really sets it off! The rotate pattern is perfect. The full size was definitely the way to go. Just when i thought this bar couldnt get any cooler! I love it. The only problem is, this makes me have to step-up my custom-build game. Great job Boulder, as always!
haha, thanks man...  I'm thinking about modifying some MX mirrors and putting them on either side of the L32...  It would fill up that space and add some more flash...  

Are you knitting a lightbar coozie for it too?
HAHA, no...  My partner at work is crocheting a blanket...  lol

ai1325.photobucket.com_albums_u626_aphoenixrising13_DE41F57B_63d4337100c41163a0bf5c614d783072f.jpg

well, you certainly have outdone yourself, very nice job Tim

Personnaly, I would smoke or plasti-dip the tops; maybe you already mentioned doing so
Thanks Dave...  I'm not sure about the tops...  I'll be getting a set of clear tops for it so all the lenses are clear...  Depending I might smoke the tops...  

Glad you put the front Solaris heads in pairs instead of independents. Less chaos in the flashes.

The SolaRanger OSC is coming along well.
Yeah, after the first vid I decided I wanted the bar to be side to side flashing...  I'm digging the name too...  

Hey Boulder is there anyway I could pay you please to make me a custom lightbar like this, in a different color?? I don't how to or I'd do it myself.
I wish...  Again, 90%-95% of the parts in my builds are parts I already had laying around or freebies...  I didnt know how to do this when I first started either...  Everyone has to start somewhere...

That bar is awesome. I would love to see a distance video in the sun. Great work!

Dan
Well, ask and ye shall receive...  I have a video up on YT now that I'll post soon...  

This is awesome. I know i sure dont have the ability to create this beast. Hats off to you sir

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
I concur on the mirrors, as a mini-expert on MX's i see that as being a really easy mod.

Next; especially if your doing clear tops: I highly recommend painting, plasti-dipping or smoking the tops. I've seen WAYYYYYY too many 2100's and Excalibers with sun-baked wiring. I dont want to see all this time effort and thought go down the drain (or worse up in flames) over something easily avoidable.

Next: and I know you want low-pro, but for anyone else (or you, in time) who would do this in the future, I echo 2 sentiments already said, if only not at the same time. If one was to do a standard MX and not the Ranger'd, Id suggest inboard PowerArcs and Double Stacked RX corners. ( or to save on cost, on set RX and one set Optix [2100] corners)

Lastly: I would hunt on ebay (to save coin) for some feniex blue 4 diode heads. (currently at $25/head) Granted I havent seen this bar in person but Im willing to wager you can squeak a couple in there; specifically at the ends for more continuity on the side while the sweeps are in motion.

All in all Tim Im jealous and impressed to say the least. And you know me well enough to know I dont hand out accolades often.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I was gonna suggest a pair of mirrors by the L32. Looking forward to the new video
Yeah, a simple trimming is all thats really needed...  Since the mirrors were designed for the upper level, they are a bit too tall...  I'm thinking I could leave them like a 1/16" or 1/8" taller than the space, just so the top can hold them down with compression, but i can just screw it down too...  We'll see...  I may bring some stuff in tonight and play around...  but if not, there is always tomorrows shift...  lol

I concur on the mirrors, as a mini-expert on MX's i see that as being a really easy mod.

Next; especially if your doing clear tops: I highly recommend painting, plasti-dipping or smoking the tops. I've seen WAYYYYYY too many 2100's and Excalibers with sun-baked wiring. I dont want to see all this time effort and thought go down the drain (or worse up in flames) over something easily avoidable.

Lastly: I would hunt on ebay (to save coin) for some feniex blue 4 diode heads. (currently at $25/head) Granted I havent seen this bar in person but Im willing to wager you can squeak a couple in there; specifically at the ends for more continuity on the side while the sweeps are in motion.

All in all Tim Im jealous and impressed to say the least. And you know me well enough to know I dont hand out accolades often.
I might look for a set of black tops...  The blue tops I have and in really good shape, and the clears i'm going to be getting are just about new...  If they were used/yellowed,scratched/hazed I'd paint them in a heartbeat...   lol

It may be the fact I slept like crap today, but I'm not picturing where you're suggesting to put the Feniex heads...?  

I also thought about getting some T-4s or T-6s and putting them under the Solaris heads...  I think there is enough room to squeeze one there...  lol

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Damn it, i recently sold my L32. What about stacking the two L32s on top of each other and being able to run an 'amber only' rotator, or just the blue. ..

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Damn it, i recently sold my L32. What about stacking the two L32s on top of each other and being able to run an 'amber only' rotator, or just the blue. ..

If i was using an MX, sure...  A dual stacked L32 (or an L31) would fit in the upper section of an MX, but not in the lower...  I don't need to run amber only for anything, so the amber in the rear is all I need...  lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.