Custom Flat-Top Mini MX (2100/RX2700/Ranger Bar Clone) *Back to just a 36" bar*

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Duuuuude....that is totally bad freakin' ass!!  That is a perfect example of how to "frankenbar" something correctly.  Excellent job, Cant wait to see what else you come up with.

Reactions: TritonBoulder47
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I boxed up the LED cards from my L32 and the 5 Solaris heads and shipped them off to Wilson for conversion...  Getting the L32 to be a nice deep blue, and getting 2 of the 5 Solaris heads switched to amber and the other 3 repaired...  Once they get back to me, I'll reassemble it and call it "done"...  lol  Then maybe install it when warmer weather hits, once I find a way to mount it...

Now that this bar is just about "finished", I kinda want to make something out of the 36 again...  lol  Just not sure what...  lol

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
I boxed up the LED cards from my L32 and the 5 Solaris heads and shipped them off to Wilson for conversion...  Getting the L32 to be a nice deep blue, and getting 2 of the 5 Solaris heads switched to amber and the other 3 repaired...  Once they get back to me, I'll reassemble it and call it "done"...  lol  Then maybe install it when warmer weather hits, once I find a way to mount it...

Now that this bar is just about "finished", I kinda want to make something out of the 36 again...  lol  Just not sure what...  lol
if it helps any tim............i still got the parts for my 36" MX, just need to get domes and a rotator..

Lowers arent in the greatest of shape  though, but just a heads up if u wanna re-do a 36" MX

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Well I have the 36 frame...  And I have the blue tops that I can put on it...  Just have to decide what to fill it with...  lol

Also, got the tops from shues...  They are CRYSTAL clear!!!  They put the rest of the bar to shame...  lol  Guess I'll have to break out some polishing/cleaning compounds and get to work...  Now the whole bar is clear lensed...  ANd I'm kicking around the idea of "blacking out" the tops for a little added protection for the internals...  But i'm not sure, especially with how mint these outer tops I just got are...  lol

Wilson should be recieving my LEDs tomorrow for conversion, so hopefully nest week I can play around with it and get it "finished"...  lol

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
AHHHH!!!!!!  Figures that the day I have to leave the house before the mail comes, I get a delivery...  The wife said there is a box waiting for my at home, I can only assume its the stuff back from Wilson...  (damn he's got a GREAT turn-around!!!)

So tomorrow night I'll be doing "final" assembly, taking new pics and a new video...  

Planned changes:

- NOS Clear Outer Tops

- L32 re-installed with new deep blue LED cards

- A pair of amber Solaris heads in the rear

The amber Solaris heads may not stay for long...  I might get a pair of T-6s and mount them in the rear on a slow wig-wag...  Not sure yet...  lol

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Final assembly my ass...you're becoming just like Eric, changing his Explorer every other day! 
No, Eric is becoming like me...  lol  

I also forgot to mention that I'll be adding some mirrors to the center section to add a little more flash on the L32...  lol

Last edited by a moderator:
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Well, I got a little work done so far tonight at work...  lol  

- Got the freshly converted (by Wilson) L32 LED Cards re-assembled and re-installed in the bar

- Replaced 2 rear Blue Solaris heads with the freshly converted (by Wilson) Amber Solaris heads and flipped some wires to make the Ambers flash opposite the 2 blues that they are between. 

New rear set-up:

Side Facing B - Rear Facing B - Rear Facing A - Angled B - Angled B - Rear Facing A - Rear Facing B - Side Facing B

- Put the clear outer tops (thanks shues!!!) on...  Now I'm gonna need to clean/polish the lowers to make the look better.  They don't look "bad" but next to the outers, they are...  lol  The center on the other hand, looks HORRIBLE!!!  I'm probably gonna try and clean/polish it, but I don't think that will be enough, and I'm kinda leary about trying to wet sand them...  So I mak get some plasti-dip or some tinting spray and do just the center (cause I'd HATE to cover up the outers...  lol)

Pic for reference:  :puke:  lol

received_10153203794946098.jpeg

Now I'm onto trying to modify some MX mirrors to put on either side of the L32 to give it some more warning surface area...  I want to use as much mirror space as possible, so I just "flattened" out a couple mirrors and put them next to the L32...  I just have to trip them to make them a little shorter, and it'll be good...  Here's the rough set-up of the mirrors...

received_10153203834236098.jpeg

received_10153203834451098.jpeg

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I might...  The only thing that I'm worried about is if the yellowing is the underside of the lense where its textured...  I'll have to visit my dad at the shop one day and maybe steal some wet sanding paper...  lol

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Here it is!!!  All "finished"...  lol  Just need to do some cleaning/polishing on the center top and all the lowers...  I'm really diggin it...  Not sure if I'll put it on the Durango or not...  lol

Custom Ranger Bar 01.jpg

Custom Ranger Bar 02.jpg

Custom Ranger Bar 03a.jpg

Custom Ranger Bar 04.jpg

Custom Ranger Bar 05a.jpg

Custom Ranger Bar 06.jpg

And here's the video...  Hope you all enjoy...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
was turning on the titan necessary? now that my retinas are nicely seared...

looks good, now we need to see it on the Dodge.

wait....you're debating putting it on???? after all this time and work? smh :confused:
Or course it was...  lol

I'll probably set it up on the Durango tomorrow and take a daytime vid.  And yes, I'm not sure if it will go on the durango or not...  Its mainly hinges on if I can find a way to mount it without drilling holes...  lol

Looks really good! I like that you have the rear amber flashing opposite sides of the rear blue. Nicely done.
Thanks T!!!  I'm thinking about either getting a second flasher for the ambers and set then to a slow wig-wag, or possible getting a set of T-6s and mounting them under the Solaris heads and setting them to a slow wig wag...  

Looks amazing. I really like the L32 and cruise mode
Yeah...  I think the mirrors add some to it too...  In reference my commend about on the ambers...  IO night ties the cruise mode in with the ambers...  since I only have a 6 wire cable running this (Ground, Titan, Sweeps, Solaris heads, L32 Cruise, L32 warning)

Reactions: Storm4200

crt6mrt-265

May 23, 2010
Central NJ
awesome bar!! if whelen sees the L32 like this.... maybe they can make a whole bar with l32 in the rotating pattern like your bar is set.... new version of LED rotator bars.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
awesome bar!! if whelen sees the L32 like this.... maybe they can make a whole bar with l32 in the rotating pattern like your bar is set.... new version of LED rotator bars.
I was trying to snag an Amber L32 off ebay fairly cheap and I was going to have 2 L32s in this bar...  Both would have been Blue front/Amber rear...  But I got outbid...  LoL  I also would like to buy the blue L32 that Retired1 has for sale, but I'm poor...  lol

Reactions: Storm4200
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
now you just need to hook up the titan to a hlf.
I did that with the Custom Liberty I built for my Avalanche...

When I go back to work I'll try some sanding and polishing on the center top, and some cleaning/polishing of all the lowers to see if I can get them at least close to the outer tops (thanks again shues!!!)

I still have to find a better way to mount the T-1000...  Right now its just held to the mount feet by 2 small pieces of VHB tape.  Once I get the mount feet set correctly, I'll try and have a more permanent mount for the T-1000.  Possibly use some of the bracketry that came with the new Titan X mount kits I got...

Attachments

• 11063030_10153210906261098_1721813606_n.jpg
    11063030_10153210906261098_1721813606_n.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 18
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Did a quick wet sand and polish on the center top and a quick cleaning on the front lowers...  

received_10153203794946098.jpeg

Custom Ranger Bar 04.jpg

The start of 1000 grit... (right side of top)

Top 01.jpg

After 3000 grit

Top 02.jpg

After polishing with PlastX...  Its not perfect, but TONS better than it was...  I'm happy with the results...

Top 03.jpg

I think later on this week I'll remove the Federal Signal Intelli-Flasher and replace it with a Whelen ULF-44...  

And I might put the Intelli-Flasher in the 36" flat top...  8 Solaris heads, with the blue tops...  Might make a mag mount our of it...  Or maybe sell it...  Who knows...  lol

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Well, I did a little playing around tonight...  lol

I took the 36" frame and the blue tops along with all the random LEDs I had and put them all together...  Now I have a mini bar again...  lol

Internals consist of:

- 8 Fed Sig Solaris 6-LED heads

- 4 SoundOff Signal 5MM LED heads (I had from an old DL-16)

I put the 4 outer Solaris heads at an angle to make them "corner" heads, and then 4 were straight on (front).  Then I put the 5MM heads to the rear just to fill up some of the space...

Internals:

New Custom 36.jpg

Front:

New Custom 36 Front.jpg

Side:

New Custom 36 Side.jpg

Rear:

New Custom 36 Rear.jpg

Later in the week (Monday/Tuesday) I'm going to take the Intelli-Flasher out of the 48" bar and put it into the 36" bar.  I'm going to put a Whelen ULF-44 into the 48" bar (gotta get my Action Flash back!!! LoL)

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Thanks man...  

I also did a couple of test videos with the "knignt rider" pattern...  Maybe I'll put it back to it and use it...  BUT that all hinges on IF i'm going to put it on the Durango...  lol

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Thanks man...

I also did a couple of test videos with the "knignt rider" pattern... Maybe I'll put it back to it and use it... BUT that all hinges on IF i'm going to put it on the Durango... lol

So.... I want to say I officially hate you!!!! And these videos are set to private.

Here I am debating selling my C3 Defender and bam you and Storm are making me want to custom the damn bar $&$^$^!*÷(... ok now that I got that out of my system, Looks great.

Reactions: TritonBoulder47
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Yeah, I really liked the way it looked...  But I also really like my action flash...  I may have to get a different control cable...  lol  I only have a 6-wire cable running it, and its full...  lol  Might have to find a more conductor cable so I can have 2 flash patterns running on the ULF-44...  lol  who knows...  lol

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Did a little more work to the 36" tongiht...  Now, its ready to run...  

Put some mount feet on it, and a set of 150# mags.  Then I found a ciggy plug I had laying around and wired it up...  

Custom Mini Ranger Bar 01.jpg

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Too many great patterns on the ULF to only use one. Lol nightrider, action, flim flam, steady flash. Etc.

I really want to see a bar with 2 L32s blue front, amber rear. That sounded cool

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Too many great patterns on the ULF to only use one. Lol nightrider, action, flim flam, steady flash. Etc.

I really want to see a bar with 2 L32s blue front, amber rear. That sounded cool
Indeed...  lol  I really want to as well...  If I can get an amber one for fairly cheap, I'll do it...  

Ill also say tim needs to get a set of "hotfeet"

for it and rig em with cannons
The hot feet I have are pretty cramped for space...  If I had a set of cannons, I'd try it out...  lol

I also prefer the knight rider look
Yeah...  I'm probably gonna switch it back to that...  lol

Well, I decided to (well, I was badgerd to) put the 36" up on the Durango for a little looksee...  And I think I like it...  lol

Sorry for the dark pics, I'll take some new ones tomorrow...

Test Fit 01.jpg

Test Fit 02.jpg

Test Fit 03.jpg

And you know me...  I had to take a vid...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Couple of better pics...  It doesn't look too shabby...  I may run it for a while until I devise a mounting system for the full bar...  lol

36 Mini Day 01.jpg

36 Mini Day 02.jpg

36 Mini Day 03.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.