Custom Flat-Top Mini MX (2100/RX2700/Ranger Bar Clone) *Back to just a 36" bar*

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Ok, so I got out to the shed to steal some sweeps from my other MX, and here is the result...  

I did the same as with the Apollo Sweep, ("flatten" the reflector body, screw the SOS Mini LED3 to the reflector) they just dropped it in...  

As suspected, the TIR-style SOS Mini LED3 had a better "pop", but the Apollo had more coverage.  (Of course, the Apollo is also much brighter, but with twice as many LEDs at 4 times the power, thats to be expected...)

And without further adieu, the video...

Thanks for the side by side.  That's a great video!  They both look good.  I think the apollos have more "definition/pop" than I though even compared next to the TIR

Reactions: TritonBoulder47
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
The Apollo almost acts like a halogen light in this use...  You get a bit of a ramp up and down when it sweeps...  

Where as the LED3 is like every LED, with more of an "instant" on/off...  

Again, both work great in this application.  If I were to use a TIR- style LED head, I'd try to find a larger head, like a TIR-4 tyle head just to use a larger size head...  With the Apollo, it fills the surface area of the reflector so it doesn't look like a lighthead mounted on a reflector body...

Reactions: tsquale

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
I really like the pop too. Hard to tell from a video, but i feel like it has more "off" time, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Maybe a set of stacked Cobra T6 dummy heads on the sweeps?
Stacked T-6s would be too wide I think, and possible too tall for the angle thats on the lower lens...  If I have some spares I'd test...

I really like the pop too. Hard to tell from a video, but i feel like it has more "off" time, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Indeed...  This all may change again too...  And it may or may not make its way on my durango anyway...  lol  

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
What if you fitted LR11s into smart sweeps? They would give you that focused pop, and be able to function as TDs or ALLYs.

Now i want sweeping LR11s.

Reactions: PJD642
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
What if you fitted LR11s into smart sweeps? They would give you that focused pop, and be able to function as TDs or ALLYs.

That was the idea I had for smart sweeps...  Get some dual color Apollos then have them run to white would come on for TD/Alley, and Blue for warning...  

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
It has been a notion in my head to possibly sell it...  I'm not 100% set on putting it on my Durango, but I'm also not 100% set on selling it...  lol

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
how long til you think a rep from the Big 3 (or Feniex for that matter) see this and snag the idea?

Reactions: Sparky_911
May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
im probaly gonna regret saying this.............but here goes nuttin.

IF you can find a set of the 2 light arrowstick (I know sparky had a set), then you can put that in the rear, with 2 solaris heads on either side of them.

Would give you rear warning power AND a traffic advisor in one (okay 2). If you're daring (but then again im talkin about you tim lol), you could always try cutting down a 3 light section of the arrowstick, and go that route.

Just a thought........and if u need a set of the 3 light arrowstick, I have 2 extra sets with enough ambers.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
how long til you think a rep from the Big 3 (or Feniex for that matter) see this and snag the idea?
If you mean the bottom of an MX, too late.....

If you mean moving multifunction LED intersections, smart intersections (while cool) were never very reliable IMHO, there are a lot of failure points.  As LEDs get brighter and smaller and the technology to flash them gets better, the concept of mechanically moving them becomes less and less appealing to design, produce and manufacture. 

I have been subtlety dropping hints to companies for years that a TCL that can be used like a remote control spotlight would be a hit.  Think a go light or visabeam that also can do TCL patterns.  The companies that have acknowledged the idea at all don't think it is practically feasible.  The number of moving parts and failure points and the engineering and materials they call for isn't supported by the customer base for such a product.  This becomes more and more true as LEDs get better and better. 

But since we don't care about silly things like profit margins when dreaming up lights, imagine this with me:

A design like these below, but with parts made to withstand the continuous duty of a control head running traffic clearing light patterns.  Now give me a USB connection and some software to program my sweep patterns.  Shut up and take my money.

FED620102.JPG50377.jpgpt360pw-grp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Well...  I may be modifying this bar a little more tonight...  lol  Thinking about making another LED3 sweep and putting 4 sweeps in the bar...  lol  THe APollo sweeps to the front, and the LED3 sweeps to the rear...

That will make the bar as follows:

Front:

Apollo Sweep - Solaris - Angled Solaris - Angled Solaris - Solaris - Apollo Sweep

Rear:

LED3 Sweep - Solaris - Angled Solaris - Angled Solaris - Solaris - LED3 Sweep

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Well...  I may be modifying this bar a little more tonight...  lol  Thinking about making another LED3 sweep and putting 4 sweeps in the bar...  lol  THe APollo sweeps to the front, and the LED3 sweeps to the rear...

That will make the bar as follows:

Front:

Apollo Sweep - Solaris - Angled Solaris - Angled Solaris - Solaris - Apollo Sweep

Rear:

LED3 Sweep - Solaris - Angled Solaris - Angled Solaris - Solaris - LED3 Sweep
Can't wait to see this built.  It's going to rival major production bars.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Well, I put a set of standard metal feet on it tonight...  Gotta figure out what magnet configuration i want to go with...  I also added a Feniex T-1000 (Original T-4 style) to the bottom of it...  I'm getting ready to start the sweeps now...

Flat-Top T-1000.jpg

Reactions: tsquale

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
If you removed modules from that stick, would there be any room to mount them inside the bar?

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
If you removed modules from that stick, would there be any room to mount them inside the bar?
No, there isn't much of any room in the bar...  

Well, here it is...  Dual sweeps, 8 Solaris heads, and a T-1000...  lol  A combination of Code 3, SOS, Fed Sig and Feniex...  lol

Flat-Top Dual Sweeps 1.jpg

Flat-Top Dual Sweeps.jpg

Sadly, I didn't have any wire or connectors in my tool box like I usually do...  So no video right now...  But I may try and rig something up for a demo...  

OK, I tried rigging it up just to get a quick video, but my battery pack is on its last leg...  So a vid will have to wait for tomorrow...  I'll grab my Optima and bring it in, plus some wiring supplies and get this buttoned up...  lol

Actually, now that I look at it...  I MIGHT be able to squeeze a T-4/T-6 in the space under the Solaris heads, but i don't think i'd be able to use the flanges...  That is a viable new project for a later date...  lol

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I love that you're working on this in the comm center! Looks great as you have it now
Of course...  Gotta have stuff to do in the down time...  lol

Man, that bar is sweet! I wish my Suburban didn't have a sunroof so I could do something similar on it.

Dan
My Durango has a sun roof, and this bar may make its way onto it...  lol

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Well...  Got some shitty news...  After getting everything all installed and wired up, one of the LED3s is really dim...  *sadness*  So I'm gonna put the 4 Solaris heads back in, and maybe I'll order a pair of Feniex T-3s and make another go at this in the future...  

But I did change the feet over from the Metal MX feet to the Plastic 2100 feet...  They are a little shorter and their feet pad angle isn't as great...  I think these ones will fit my roof line better, just need some mags...  

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
I think T3s are the way to go for all 4 sweeps.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
OK, heres how it sits now...  

Front:

Rear:

Side Facing Solaris - Solaris - Solaris - Angled Solaris - Angled Solaris - Solaris - Solaris - Side Facing Solaris

Custom Flat-Top 01.jpg

Custom Flat-Top 02.jpg

Custom Flat-Top 03.jpg

Custom Flat-Top 04.jpg

And heres a shot of the inside.  

Custom Flat-Top 05.jpg

I think T3s are the way to go for all 4 sweeps.
I don't know about all 4, but definitely 2...  lol  But since i'm broke, that will have to wait a bit...  lol

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I threw the bar up on my Durango for a quick "Test Fit"...  It looks pretty good at night...  lol  I'll throw it up again when its day light to really see how it looks...  

Final details would be moving the mount feet inward to fit between the roof ribs, and getting a set of mags for it...  Then its basically done...  Would just have to wire it into my 4200 and re-programs the control head...

Heres a quick test of the T-1000, as always the vid doesn't really show the light throw...

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Whoa! This thing is a BEAST! I love the mix of moving parts that have that eye-catching "pop" next to the solid flashing effectiveness of stationary solaris heads. It's a shame that these don't exist outside your "lab" because they're damn effective. 

rettoded

Aug 12, 2011
Berks County,PA

Glad to see I am not the only one to think of this idea. I have wanted to take an LR11, get it color changed by wilsonbr90, and then put it in a Five-O dashlight. I think that would look awesome.

Along the same lines, I would love to get 2 Whelen PAR46 2 degree spotlights converted to red, and put them in a Unity RV46. I can only imagine the insane brightness that it would be.

Heres a shot of just the sweeps...

This video of just the sweeps reminds me of of 2 halogen lights flashing independently. I too am surprised by how well the Apollos look in the sweeps. The whole bar looks awesome!

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
2 questions Tim:

Are you currently running this off of a cigar plug?

Do you think the MX sweep mechanisms can be modified to fit into a liberty housing?

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Do you think the MX sweep mechanisms can be modified to fit into a liberty housing?
The assembly sans reflector would fit, would have to cut the reflector down a touch. The intersection sweeps from an excalibur would probably fit without modification.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Interesting.

I'm thinking. And that's no good.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
LOL, Yeah I just happen to have a friends Libby I am building sitting on top of my MX so I did some quick measuring. It would be sort of tight but if you are willing to modify the reflector and MAYBE (but I dont think so) a little bit inside the libby frame, You could do something neat! But I think Excalibur sweeps would fit unmodified. I do not have one on hand to measure.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
2 questions Tim:

Are you currently running this off of a cigar plug?

I already answered this, but just incase anyone else was wondering...

1.  No, I am NOT running this bar off of a ciggy plug...  Although, with a beefy enough plug, it probably can be done...  Afterall, Mini Vectors were run off a ciggy plug...  lol

2.  I've actually always had the idea and wanted to put a set of sweeps into an LFL frame, but I never got around to it...  As far as fitment, I don't know, but Alec answered that for you...  Excal sweeps might do the trick...

As far as an update, there really isn't one...  lol  I got some mags ordered for it, so its a possibility that this will be on the Durango by the weekend...  And if I like it enough, I might sell my Pegasus...  lol

Reactions: Storm4200

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I love it.

i dunno how code 3 never transformed the MX7K into a mainstream LED or a LED/Combo lightbar (ie like the Whelen Delta lor FedSig's upgrades to some of their popular halogen lightbars)...maybe it's because the LED intersection sweeps are such a good idea & C3 lacks creativity, thinking that we won't notice them putting mediocre LED modules in recycled frames & calling it innovative. The MX7K is one of my all time favorites & I love seeing the LED upgrades that members have put into theirs over the years

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
True that...  If I had "Doug Money" (GPC) I'd buy some Whelen L31s and L32s (or even the uber expensive Rota-Beams) and put the guts in the top of an MX and set them to the "rotator" pattern...  lol  

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.