Custom Flat-Top Mini MX (2100/RX2700/Ranger Bar Clone) *Back to just a 36" bar*

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Got bored tonight at work, so I played around with the 36" bar a bit...  Adjusted the angles on the 4 outer heads...  They were at a slight angle for a "V" effect but I noticed when I ran it the other day, there wasn't much side coverage...  Now, the front corners are at a 45 degree angle, and the rear corners are pointing straight out the side.  Almost gives a perfect 1/2 circle between the 8 Solaris heads...  

Custom Flat-Top V2.jpg

Reactions: Mrlunchbox
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I cant comment to them being better...  I've only ever had L32s to play with...  But I know I can customize the L32 the way I want...  Such as:  2 of the L32s will be blue/amber split...lol

Reactions: Storm4200
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I like the overall setup, design, and patterns much better. Can't speak on the customizability, though. I just know I'll never sell my NOS one haha
well the way they are set-up is 4 LED "cards" on a central circuit board...  So you can mix and match colors if you want...  Which is what I'll be doing, taking the Blue and Amber one that I'm getting and making 2 Blue (front)/Amber (rear) split ones...

Jun 2, 2014
Colorado
I like the overall setup, design, and patterns much better. Can't speak on the customizability, though. I just know I'll never sell my NOS one haha
I can speak on the customizability of the 360 Star! :D

You can customize it any way you want as well. Each of the 12 modules (linked together in quadrants of 3) is an independent off-the-shelf star-base Luxeon LED module. The Luxeon Stars are still readily available with upgraded, higher efficiency/output designs on a regular basis, and they come in the spectrum of solid LED colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tsquale

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Triton, do you know what the amp draw of those Apollo sweeps are?
IIRC, The sweeps with halogen bulbs as in the MX, are about 4.5 amp draw. So probably in that range

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Triton, do you know what the amp draw of those Apollo sweeps are?
I have no clue honestly...  it can't be much more than what the motor alone pulls...  I can;t imagine the Apollo pulling much power by itself...  

IIRC, The sweeps with halogen bulbs as in the MX, are about 4.5 amp draw. So probably in that range
This is a possibility, I'm not 100% sure...  lol

Well I recieved 1 more piece to this puzzle last Thursday...  I'm glad Chief packs his shipments so well...  lol

L32 from Chief 01.jpg

L32 from Chief 03.jpg

I should have the last piece (for now) this Thursday.  So I'll have a nice project for next week at work...  

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I figured you snagged that. Lol. I have been eyeballing it and debating. Waited too long. It's in excellent hands though.
As have I...  Ever since he listed it...  lol  

Now I'm just awaiting the arrival of an Amber L32 and I can tinker again...  lol  I might even put the Apollo sweeps, and 2 L32s in the 36" bar and run that...  I'm so indecisive with lighting...  haha

Reactions: tsquale
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I received the "final" (haha) piece of the project yesterday...  

received_10153356978776098.jpeg

Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do...  Put all 3 L32s in the 48" bar, or rebuild the 36" with the sweeps and 2 L32s...  LoL  Since I haven't found the mount plates I need, I might build the 36" for now, and re-build the 48, when I get everything I need to mount it...  

But that will have to wait for the work week to begin, since I have too much house work and packing to do on my days off...  lol  

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
what he said
SHUSH!!!!  LoL

Well, Things are going to be going in a different direction...  lol  For the mean time, I'm going to build up my 36" custom bar with the Apollo Sweeps, 2 Blue/Amber L32s, and what ever other LEDs I can squeeze into it...  Then that will be put into service on the Durango, and I'll be selling the Pegasus and what ever else I can find to sell...  lol

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Im excited to see what you do with the L32s.
Its nothing thats really amazing...  I have a Blue one, and an Amber one...  once I roll through the flash patterns and see how the 4 sides are split, I'll take 2 from each light and switch them...  Thus giving me 2 Blue/Amber L32s...  Blue front, Amber rear...  

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
This was my down time project tonight...  I tore down my 48" flat top, and re-built my 36" flat top.  Since the 36" is mag-mounted, it was easier to build this on and use it as apposed to the 48" where I'd still have to figure out a way to mount it to my Durango...  

First, I stripped the 36" bar Bare, and took everything except the L32 out of the 48" bar...  Then I tore down the other 2 L32s I recently recieved (1 Amber, 1 Blue), and made 2 Blue/Amber split L32s...  I mounted them on the inside of each side of the bar.  Then I installed my Custom Apollo Sweeps in the front corners.  I mounted a 500 series LIN-6 side facing on each end of the bar using VHB (don't laugh, it works wonders LoL), and a Solaris head on each corner facing rearward.  I used the 6 conductor cable from the 48" bar to run everything (and I still have 1 wire open for future expansion...  Finally, I cleaned up the wiring and put the clear tops on the bar and viola, she's complete...

Passenger's Side:

Custom 36 Final Passenger.jpg

Driver's Side:

Custom 36 Final Driver.jpg

Whole Bar:

Custom 36 Final.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to reprogram the 4200 and get the bar on the roof...  I also have a quick demo video, but it has to wait until I get home and on WiFi to upload...  Its also the first video I've taken with my new phone (Samsung Galaxy S6).  I didn't use the best (UHD 3840X2160 @ 30 FPS) or second best (QHD 2560X1440 @ 30 FPS) video quality, I used the 3rd best (FHD 1920X1080 @ 60 FPS).  Maybe later I'll try one or both of the higher quality settings after its on the Durango...  lol

Once its on the Durango I'll update my install thread as well...  I'm also selling my Pegasus and a bunch of other parts that I have from my projects (Solaris heads, Responder Flasher, Responder housing w/ clear lense & mags) to get some money for the (hopefully) final bar for the Durango...  lol

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
"Final bar" ..... lol. Usually, i would say there is no such thing. But sometimes you just find, "The One".

Reactions: TritonBoulder47

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.