Feniex Apollo!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
OVERKILL said:
will the dual colour have separate control wires for each colour like the cannon or will it be all in the flash patterns

it's actually not a control wire for each color. Basically each wire is considered its own input. Each input is can be set to the pattern of your choice, which allows for you to pick if you want one color or the other..... or alternating color pattern.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
OVERKILL said:
I have white/amber cannons white is drl mode 1 and mode 2 is white alt amber for warning I want to do the same thing with the Apollo when the exterior version is available

I won't speculate/release what will be available or capable until Feniex makes something public. But i do eagerly away an exterior lineup

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
badge22 said:
Right, most dual color LED lights have additional LEDs because there is a patent on the technology from Axixtech, who produces dual color LED products not just two or three color products which this amounts to.

This is two color technology, not dual or color changing. It confuses customers. And yes, I talking about the people that purchase these products and don't get on this board. I can see the reduced output being a sales issue even though it is probably trivial. Your talking 3 LEDs vs 6 LEDs.

Negative...the lightheads have 12 diodes instead of 6 so the lightheads still have the same intensity as a single color bar...

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
We just received our 2x today and we're in the process of running it through bench testing. I have to say I'm very impressed with the optics. Straight on the brightness of each light head is the same as the T6 but at off angles there is no comparison!

The unit is solidly built too, and the light heads are solid and heavy. So far, very impressed.

Some pics we took and we'll have video coming soon.

http://www.facebook.com/SirenWorld

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
SirenWorld.com said:
We just received our 2x today and we're in the process of running it through bench testing. I have to say I'm very impressed with the optics. Straight on the brightness of each light head is the same as the T6 but at off angles there is no comparison!

The unit is solidly built too, and the light heads are solid and heavy. So far, very impressed.

Some pics we took and we'll have video coming soon.

http://www.facebook.com/SirenWorld

In the interest of honesty, I really hope you have QUALITY video and pictures of said brightness. I'm particularly interested in your claim of brightness head-on comparison to that of the T-6. I will agree it is stronger off axis than a T-6 and I will agree it is a well made light.

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
FEVER said:
In the interest of honesty, I really hope you have QUALITY video and pictures of said brightness. I'm particularly interested in your claim of brightness head-on comparison to that of the T-6. I will agree it is stronger off axis than a T-6 and I will agree it is a well made light.

The videos I'm shooting so far aren't doing it justice. Each module for the Apollo is as bright as the one T6. The problem is, it blinds the camera. You can tell the off axis stuff, but it's still blinding. I'm still working on getting better lighting to make it not blind the camera. I'm really impressed though. The optics are awesome.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
SirenWorld.com said:
The videos I'm shooting so far aren't doing it justice. Each module for the Apollo is as bright as the one T6. The problem is, it blinds the camera. You can tell the off axis stuff, but it's still blinding. I'm still working on getting better lighting to make it not blind the camera. I'm really impressed though. The optics are awesome.

Don't get me wrong, I love these lights, but I will not be telling my customers what you are. We obviously have different opinions about the straight on output of the Apollo. As with typical TIR vs. Linear type of light heads, I will say that I think that the off axis is amazing in the Apollo. While straight on output might be better than most, it is of my opinion that the straight on output does not match that of the T-6. I still think Feniex has a winner on their hands with the t-6 and I have already pre-sold many.

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
FEVER said:
Don't get me wrong, I love these lights, but I will not be telling my customers what you are. We obviously have different opinions about the straight on output of the Apollo. As with typical TIR vs. Linear type of light heads, I will say that I think that the off axis is amazing in the Apollo. While straight on output might be better than most, it is of my opinion that the straight on output does not match that of the T-6. I still think Feniex has a winner on their hands with the t-6 and I have already pre-sold many.

I think the best test will be in the sunlight tomorrow (if the weather cooperates)... they're just too bright to stare at without welding goggles on. In theory the forward output should be the same for the modules since they each have 6 4-W LED... but my eyes are seeing spots and I'm getting a headache.

I know exactly what you mean with the TIR vs LIN optics though, and I was just saying what my first impressions are. I LOVE the Cobra series, and I think the Apollo line will only boost the Feniex brand into being a bigger contender, especially when they have full bars and sticks, and the eventual 4x3 3x7 and 7x9 heads for fire/ems use.

This is probably the best picture I could get that shows the difference in the two optics. Apollo on the left, Cobra on the right.

960035_630568353638378_1733765450_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

eLightbars Reviewer

May 3, 2013
eLightbars USA
For our review, we installed one of these units in a local LEO vehicle. The brightness and light projection don't quite match the output of the TIR optics found in a Python 400 that was already installed in that same vehicle as a dash light. It should be noted that this is not supposed to be direct competition for the Python and Cobra Series lights, they are designed for much wider off-axis viewing angles. We all know that TIR and Linear optics are meant for different applications, and that stands true for the Apollo Series. They offer a wider range of view for the 2X model that we are testing, as well as the Surface Mount unit we tested against the T-6 (video).

Now, the TIR style takedown module (Apollo Series) is a different story, it is extremely bright and gives the T-6 a run for the money.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
SirenWorld.com said:
I think the best test will be in the sunlight tomorrow (if the weather cooperates)... they're just too bright to stare at without welding goggles on. In theory the forward output should be the same for the modules since they each have 6 4-W LED... but my eyes are seeing spots and I'm getting a headache.

I know exactly what you mean with the TIR vs LIN optics though, and I was just saying what my first impressions are. I LOVE the Cobra series, and I think the Apollo line will only boost the Feniex brand into being a bigger contender, especially when they have full bars and sticks, and the eventual 4x3 3x7 and 7x9 heads for fire/ems use.

This is probably the best picture I could get that shows the difference in the two optics. Apollo on the left, Cobra on the right.

Yes, horrible shot with different colors and even a different number of LEDS per color. I know they will be fantastic products for Feniex, I just want the customers to know what they are honestly getting.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
SirenWorld.com said:

When you do a comparison photo, you really need to match up the modules. You can't really just throw any set of lights together and get an accurate representation of the lights' output difference. Why not cover the white module on the Apollo, and use a solid blue T6 vs. the blue Apollo module? That would show exactly how much better one is over the other.

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
EMT-BLS said:
When you do a comparison photo, you really need to match up the modules. You can't really just throw any set of lights together and get an accurate representation of the lights' output difference. Why not cover the white module on the Apollo, and use a solid blue T6 vs. the blue Apollo module? That would show exactly how much better one is over the other.

That's the plan. We have solid blue T-6's in our demo car grill. We also have a light meter, so we're going to try to get some readings and compare the off-axis light output with actual science.

We'll see how it goes. It's raining right now... so... BLAH. :mad:

Initial impressions so far. The housing and mount of the 2x dash light is amazing. Its set up a suction mount only but it's the best I have ever seen, I typically do not mount anything on suction cups. I love the way the body of the light rotates easily if needed. All in all I love the package. I wish it had some type of front flange gasket material but as it is its not terrible.

My demo is has two split red blue heads so i understand output is only half as many diodes as a solid red solid blue. I have viewed it only in the daylight and the patterns are good. In my opinion the off axis is great but straight on its not as bright as a t6. The true test will be a t6 and a Apollo 6 diode all in the same color.

Thanks

kent

Last edited by a moderator:

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
FEVER said:
Dual color is only 3 leds of each color per module and single color will have 6 leds of each color. Pretty much the same way all dual color lights are made. What feniex has done is squeezed two leds into each optic for the purposes of dual color. After receiving feedback, they smartly did not remove leds for single color and instead kept them in for those customers. :thumbsup:

Good to know. I am looking forward to a size comparison between the t6 and apollo.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
To be fair, Feniex hasn't released OFFICIAL product descriptions for each product. Just a general platform based description. I broke this as soon as they gave dealers basic info. I believe they are still completing marketing strategies and product descriptions while buttoning up this product line in the final stages.

Rest assured, Feniex does accept input on their products and various things like you mentioned. I'm sure they probably pay more attention to this site than most manufacturers.

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
bluestinger90 said:
Good to know. I am looking forward to a size comparison between the t6 and apollo.

312128_630571230304757_1626193157_n.jpg

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
FollowingNFront said:
I want a blue (1st module)/white (2nd module) 2 head Apollo! It looks great

They truly are something different. I have it sitting on top of a python 4x in my dash and straight on it gets lost in the blinding light of the 4x, however off axis is significant!

Get yours ordered with one of the many dealers on here! :)

May 27, 2013
NY
FEVER said:
They truly are something different. I have it sitting on top of a python 4x in my dash and straight on it gets lost in the blinding light of the 4x, however off axis is significant!

Get yours ordered with one of the many dealers on here! :)

Thank you sir.... Will do. Are they shipping yet? I am new to learning about proper optics and such, but I believe this light will have much more frontal warning than the individual off-brand green/white's I have in my windshield right now....

Can I ask you a request? Can you post a pic of the Apollo 2X in your windshield so I can get an idea of the size of it and how it would look mounted?

And one more quick question.... Swapping light heads on these things is fairly simple right?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
FollowingNFront said:
Thank you sir.... Will do. Are they shipping yet?

No they are not shipping yet

I am new to learning about proper optics and such, but I believe this light will have much more frontal warning than the individual off-brand green/white's I have in my windshield right now....

What light are you using now? This light will not have significant "throw" (punch/distance) straight forward, however the off axis warning capabilities is tremendous.

Can I ask you a request? Can you post a pic of the Apollo 2X in your windshield so I can get an idea of the size of it and how it would look mounted?

I will get a picture of it shortly.

And one more quick question.... Swapping light heads on these things is fairly simple right?

Yes, the dash lights appear to be fairly easily interchanged.

If you have any other questions, fire away :)

May 27, 2013
NY

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
FollowingNFront said:
Thanks for the quick responses! I currently have two of these up front (one white/one green): Mini LED Light Bars : Emergency Vehicle Lighting : LED Dash Lights : Strobe Warning Lights : Used Truck Light Bars : Amber Emergency Light : LED Outfitters - Dash Lights :: Mini Traffic Enforcer 5-M

Do you think the Apollo will have better frontal intensity than that?

WITHOUT A DOUBT....

you are welcome for the responses. I'm just sitting here boxing up orders and waiting for the rain to stop so I can go out and take pictures of my patrol car for you.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369946044.557190.jpg rough pictures with my phone. The light under it is a python 4xImageUploadedByTapatalk1369946007.898578.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369946019.910171.jpg

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
FollowingNFront said:
Thank you sir.... Will do. Are they shipping yet? I am new to learning about proper optics and such, but I believe this light will have much more frontal warning than the individual off-brand green/white's I have in my windshield right now....

Two screws hold the light heads to the frame. The lights themselves just have 4 wire disconnects on the back so they're really easy to swap around.

May 27, 2013
NY
SirenWorld.com said:
Two screws hold the light heads to the frame. The lights themselves just have 4 wire disconnects on the back so they're really easy to swap around.

Very nice... That may come in handy for me in the future.

Rebellion

Sep 18, 2012
Orange County, NY
FEVER, so comparing the 2x apollo series to a 2x cobra series.

The cobra series is still superior in terms of "punch through" correct?

I have a Cobra 2X and was eye balling an upgrade to the Apollo series lights.

All I care about is being seen coming from behind... (Courtesy state)

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Rebellion said:
FEVER, so comparing the 2x apollo series to a 2x cobra series.

The cobra series is still superior in terms of "punch through" correct?

I have a Cobra 2X and was eye balling an upgrade to the Apollo series lights.

All I care about is being seen coming from behind... (Courtesy state)

Yes you are correct.

If you are wanting distance warning go with the Cobra.

May 27, 2013
NY
To me, ^ That is not the best example of the Apollo 2X's brightness because both light heads are dual colors (red/white) so the way I understand it, each color is putting out about half the maximum wattage is that right? If I'm wrong I apologize.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
FollowingNFront said:
To me, ^ That is not the best example of the Apollo 2X's brightness because both light heads are dual colors (red/white) so the way I understand it, each color is putting out about half the maximum wattage is that right? If I'm wrong I apologize.

you are correct.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
FollowingNFront said:
Cool. Glad I understand the concept a little bit more.

I think this vid is better:

I guess we know who is behind Outlet PSE lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.